[PRIVATE] When The Sun Comes Up

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

[This is taking place before Dead Magic, and is private to Mauja and Arathea please! <3]

I cannot wait for Frostfall to finally be over, for the bright skies of Birdsong to take over and the halo of sun light to shed onto the frozen grounds and melt them away. The ice and snow was so confusing, making everything look the same. This had gotten me lost, bringing me nearly all the way across Helovia to find myself in the Secret Grove. There, I had met a shaggy and lanky wolf who said she knew the king of my homeland, Mauja. On our travels over, the wolf needed food. We separated, and like clock work, I met Mauja himself. The snowy stallion and I brawled for a few minutes so I could blow off some steam. Now both bruised and tattered, I waited for the return of the canine.

The wind blew at a steady breeze, tussling my knotted mane and short forelock out of my face. I drew in a deep breath, glancing around me awkwardly. How would this all go over? The canine, Arathea, that I barely knew. For all I know she could have been lying to me just to get to Mauja. Perhaps he banned her from her herd, rather than them being split up during battle as she had informed me. The possibilities were endless on what could have actually been the case, if she had not told me the truth and nothing but the truth.

On our long, cold, boring travel here, I had tried to keep my eyes on her at all times. Stopping rarely in order to eat when my stomach began to growl and gurgle at me. This was the only times I had actually peeled my eyes off of the much too tall wolf. Her brown and tan hide against the starch white ground was easy to spot, just like I imagine my own gray and black pelt had been.

"Mauja?" I called, my raspy voice carrying easily over the quiet land. My weight shifted from all four legs to my right side, making the cuts and bruises ache miserably. I couldn't show that the pain was overwhelming, so I simply cringed, letting a sharp exhale blow from each flared nostril. Crimson eyes began flicking back and forth, watching the stillness of the surrounding frozen wasteland. Soon enough, the wolf would return to find me, and hopefully Mauja by this time.

Tagged: @[Arathea] and @[Mauja]
Text here "Chat here." Voices here

i run but it stays right by my side
Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Arathea Posts: 56
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Other :: 11/17 hh :: 12 HP: 56.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Raven

She had kept silent while walking next to Voodoo, on a comfortable distance and had only stopped when he stopped to bite at some grass. Keeping in motion helped her a bit from freezing, but that also caused her to be warmer and the snow to melt through her fur. Said fur was slightly thicker than in summer, but it could not really be called winter fur. Since her thick fur was still for the quite warm winters of her homeland and not for the freezing winter of Helovia.

Though grass was easy food for the horse, it was not food for the wolf and eventually she had to leave his company to hunt. Rabbits, rats, rodents... No horse. She shook her head slowly as she trotted through the snow, leaving the unicorn to go on ahead. She would probably find him. It was not snowing too much, so it would take a while before his tracks were completely hidden. And even if they would be hidden from sight, they would not be instantly hidden from her nose.

Later on, with her belly satisfied with field mice, the strange wolf moved through the dead grass until she came upon Voodoo again. A slight frown formed on her brow when she saw his bruised state and she stopped a few yards away, sitting down on her haunches and eyed him silently. He called the King's name and she lifted her head, ears perked and looked around to see if the white unicorn was nearby. Could he be here? And not all the way over in Basin? A shudder went through her body, but she could not tell if it was from cold or from excitement.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
( sorry for the wait guys :c my muse said goodbye for a few days and then my owed posts just piled up like crazy. )

The cold had finally claimed him, settling in his body like leaden weights. It deadened some of the pain, lessened the abominable ache in his kicked thigh—his "worst" injury, he thought—just as it stiffened him, making it harder to move, and more likely to tear. Still, the scuffle seemed to have worked, for when Voodoo had drifted away from his side again, he'd been a lot.. calmer? At least, he hadn't smelled of anger, and being near him hadn't set Mauja on edge. Maybe he'd need to "tap" his fury again, or maybe he wouldn't need to, but at that point, all had been well.

And Mauja, fool that he was, had remained up on the fields. If the cloud cover ever slid back, perhaps he would find a ledge where he could peer down into the Foothills... Or perhaps not. He sighed, white breath smoking to the sky, and figured staying up here while he healed was as good a plan as any. If someone annoyed him, he could just shove them off the nearest slope and be done with it.

"Mauja?"

The call was faint, the voice raspy, but the wind smelled unmistakeably of Voodoo and.. something else. Wolf, his mind said, and Irma wheeled up in the air, taking wing and scouting ahead. Indulging in a groan, Mauja set off in the direction of Voodoo, hoping he wasn't more injured than when he'd left him. But if a wolf was attacking him, surely he'd called a bit more intently?

But he wasn't attacked at all. Irma saw them clearly, Voodoo standing, the other, a fur-blob of tan, sitting on slender haunches, ears tipped and eyes intent. She claimed not to recognize the wolf, and Mauja shook his head slowly as he fell into an easy trot, telling her she'd been but an egg when she'd met Arathea last.

"Voodoo! Arathea!" he called out once he was closer, white tail flagging and his gait somewhat regal despite his vaguely uneven step. The best way to hide it was to take short steps, and that was what he was doing, not wanting to stretch the sore muscle.

It had been a long time since he'd seen the wolf-creature last, and he remembered his bitter disappointment that the predator had not helped them in fighting the Qian off – perhaps she could've turned the tide, but it was useless to think of now. She'd disappeared, just as he had disappeared, and that was that. If she'd come here with Voodoo.. perhaps she wanted to repent? He'd find out soon enough. Favoring them both with a smile, Mauja reached out to brush his muzzle across Voodoo's in greeting, before sidling away to stand in the middle between them, peering at Arathea. "Long time no see, Warden Wolf."
night-fate-stock -- dreamofsandman -- deirdre-T -- deviantart.com // i-mi.deviantart.com
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Voodoo

The shaggy canine padded toward me, keeping a respectful distance as she promised. She sat a ways away from me, her cupped ears flipping toward me. Red eyes looked over the wolf, hoping that there would be no blood or the distinct scent of a battered body stuck on her. From what I could tell, I found nothing in particular, just the smell of a wet dog. I nodded at Arathea, a sense of relief washing over me as I did so. If I had just summoned Mauja and she had not shown up, I would just look dumb. How would that go? "Uhm, hello sir. Would you like to just finish your work and beat the living shit out of me?" Hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

It was only a minute or two of standing in the cold, waiting for the interruption of the silence as the draft makes his way toward us. Snow crunched and groaned in the distance, the water working its way out of the frozen flakes under sheer weight. The leopard spotted king trotted toward us, seeming almost completely unharmed from our little battle-royal. There was only a tiny, almost unnoticeable limp in his step. What did I look like? Probably like I was missing a leg because I was limping and tripping every where while I was walking. Great.

"Voodoo! Arathea!" Oh thank the Gods, they did know each other. I grinned as the snow beast approached, his gray mug reaching out to brush against my own. I hesitated, but figured this was something that my lord would like me to return the greeting. I bobbed my red nose into Mauja's gray one in turn, my attention drifting toward Arathea as the stallion greeted her as well. "Warden Wolf?" I cocked my face to the right, ears flicked forward in attention.

[Ooc: I think a lot of us are going through this stupid muse drain. :(( ]
Tagged: @[Arathea] and Mauja

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

First came the owl and the sight brought a smile to Arathea's face. It had grown so big from the little egg it once had been. Then the frost lord came over the field. She noted the stiffness and glanced briefly at the ruffled colt, a slight frown forming on her brow. Though she had no time to ponder over it for much longer, as Mauja came closer with a smile.

The wolf watched as he greeted the younger unicorn and then she bowed her head low when he addressed her. "She is not the Warden anymore, King Unicorn." Ears moved back in an uncertain manner, eyes glancing carefully up at the tall white one. "She is sorry for disappearing. There are no excuses, only explanations. All scattered, she was not sure how to feel and went far away... This land of horses was and is still a great stranger to her. Its ways are unknown."

She rose up on all four and walked slowly towards Mauja, head still bowed down and she did not lift it until she stood close enough to brush the tip of her nose against his breast. "King Unicorn has been sought after since summer. The young unicorn here told her about Aurora Basin and said to take her there to find him, but he is here now."

The tail was sweeping slowly back and forth, telling that she was very happy to see him. The rest she held inside. She did not want to just get too close, since she had no idea if he would even accept it. Nudging him with her nose was as much as she dared to do and once she was finished speaking, she sat down again and bowed her head respectfully.

Ascended Helovian

Voodoo was silent, his muzzle warm against Mauja's; blue eyes ran over the scab on his flank for the briefest of moments, simply taking in the aftermath of their scuffle. It didn't look – or smell – infected from where he stood, but you never knew. Still, he was somewhat satisfied he hadn't accidentally ruined the young stallion for life, which would've been quite a shame. He could go far, and Mauja would hate to get in the way of that – by accident. Now, wouldn't that have been a fine salt to rub into his metaphorical wounds?

Arathea's eyes disappeared from his view as she dipped her head down, and his own canted to one side, watching her curiously. Was it a sign of respect, as it was in horses? Silently he gazed at her, hearing her say she was not the Warden anymore, and in his mind he replied, neither am I King. That backwards flick of the ears, was it anger? Did they fall flat against her skull, or was her winter's fur merely making it seem so? Even as he listened he pondered the quiet language of her body, trying to find some fitting schematic, a way to read it without assuming she was a horse; as she got up on her gangly legs, he remained where he was, watching her come closer. His past dealings with her had convinced him she was, to him, harmless, otherwise he would've watched her with wariness, but now it was just with a silent kind of pity.

It wasn't her fault they had lost, really. Could he blame her for leaving, after they had been scattered, and thrown out into the snow? His head tipped further to the side, one blue eye peering down at the back of her skull as she let her hot wolf's breath brush against his chest. He wasn't at all sure how he felt about a wolf breathing on his throat, but figured the ease with which he could stab her put them on an even ground – and if it had been any other wolf than Arathea, he certainly wouldn't have let it come that close. Trust was something Mauja was still uncomfortable with, but just as he knew d'Artagnan would never kill him intentionally, he was fairly certain Arathea wouldn't either.

She had been looking for him since summer? It was oddly touching, and slowly he straightened out and lowered his head, muzzle-first, to lip comfortingly at her scruff. Her tail had begun to sway, and as all he could see of the wolf with her so close was her back and tail, he let his eyes follow the mesmerizing movement. "Indeed, here I am," he responded quietly, watching the sway-sway of her tail's tip. "And if you want to, you can be Warden again, but of the Basin instead of the Edge." Until the day we take it back.
night-fate-stock -- dreamofsandman -- deirdre-T -- deviantart.com // i-mi.deviantart.com

Voodoo

I stood silently, dark hued eyes watching the two converse. It was getting hard to follow the realistic conversation -even though it had just started- thanks to the muffled taunts and complains coming from the center of my head. Just kill the fucking mutt, and you and Mauja can skip home together like little fairies I laid my ears back, trying to hold back an amused smile that ended up splitting my red mug in two. Damn it.. if they saw me grinning wildly at absolutely nothing they would surely think I've gone completely mad.. Or would they figure that I already have? Do they even know about them? No one else seemed to, so probably not. I tucked my lips under my teeth for a moment as if I were able to tear the smile away from my body.

A moment of awkward lip-biting passed, the grin finally leaving my mouth back to the straight line that I rather preferred. The black flag that hung from my hind end lazily bobbed up and down, the end swishing back and forth along with the movement, wrapping strands of loose hair around the dark points of my legs. Arathea babbled on for what felt like forever. I caught very little of what she said; her bad grammar and tiny voice from so far down felt like she was miles away.. but, she's really not that small. She's actually quite a frightening size. Agh, how I hate wolves. My skin crawled at the thought of her following me all the way back to this frozen hell hole.

Nostrils flared, drawing in a deep breath and releasing it with a long, bored sigh. The snowy stallion dropped his face to nuzzle the canine; the hair along my spike stood up, fear striking at my very core as I watched the two subjects in front of me. Arathea's tail began wagging back and forth solidly out of happiness -I assume- but the fast motion nearly closed my air way off and my heart to stop. Mauja's bare throat... it was right there, right in front of her light colored face. My chest felt tight, but I ignored it and attempted to keep my cool.

I allowed this canine to follow me all the way back here, nearly all the way across Helovia itself, to find the spotted stallion and allow her to be completely aware of what was going on. I had let my guard down enough to completely carry my twitting brain along with us the whole trip; their voices casting their own shadows into my already absurd thought process. The fact that I had let a wolf near me was surely a step up in my fatal fears, and it would surely help me out later on in life. Perhaps she would end up not being the only wolf lurking through Helovia that was actually, helpful rather than a ruthless killer.

They probably wonder the same things about us.

Tagged: @[Arathea] and Mauja

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

The sudden touch at the back of her neck sent a slight twitch through her body and she tensed up. Would he pinch the skin between his teeth, pull her mane... Nuzzle her? Arathea did not realize she had been holding her eyes shut until she opened them and relaxed under the caress. A small sigh left her nose, then her eyes widened and she glanced up at Mauja to the best of her abilities due to the close distance between them.

"She would be honored and do better this time... If she would be accepted." Her eyes wandered over towards Voodoo, his grin had gone unnoticed by her. There was no guilt tripping in her look, just uncertainty. Even if the young stallion had offered to help her find Mauja, he had not seemed happy about it. Nor did he now and she could not blame him.

She had never gotten close to anyone in the former herd. She had kept to the forest, kept her distance to the horses and not poked her nose too far into the herd's politics. Her task had been to look after the forest, but maybe she would have to focus more on the herd now too to not lose them again. If they would have her.

There was something in Voodoo's body language that made her more uncertain and it had her up on her four paws in a careful movement and taking a few steps back from both horses before sitting down again in another hunched, submissive position. Hooves, teeth... And horns. Both of them could end her quickly should they want to. The thought brought the aching back to her chest. The heavy feeling of not fitting in. But what could she do? Leave and become all alone again? Learning to fit in seemed like a better option. If she would ever be fully accepted and understand this land of horses.

Ascended Helovian

Hugging a huge wolf wasn't things he usually did, but some time has to be the first for everything, no? Her fur smelled nice, of forest and life, though he couldn't help but feel that undercurrent of instinct, because she did smell a lot like a wolf. The faint odor of her predator's breath was a constant backdrop, a reminder that she preyed on flesh. So do I Irma chimed in helpfully, and he smothered the chuckle. He didn't judge Arathea for her feeding habits – but he did have to battle the instincts which had kept his ancestors alive for generations.

His offer seemed to take her by surprise, and he felt a small smile curl his lips. She was kind and likeable, and had been willing to help him with Irma's feeding, and on top of that, she was a wolf. To be allied with such a creature would boost the morale of his troops, and perhaps frighten those who came knocking on their door (or maybe they wouldn't care, being used to Vikram and Mirage, but dragons had a history of co-existing with the horses; wolves, did not). His blue eyes went to Voodoo, who was rather subdued, not saying anything, but watching intently. Arathea had taken a few steps back, looking rather small and fragile with her slender body hunched over like that. It stirred that same kind of pity in his heart; what kind of wolf was she, that she had to carve out her existence in a land of horses? All alone?

"I'm sure you would be," he replied evenly, though his eyes were watching Voodoo, trying to gauge his reaction. "If I'm not mistaken, there were several in the Edge who were interested by having a wolf around, and in the Basin, at least one regular wolf has shared our home." Mauja glanced down at Arathea again. "But, there are always some who will be worried or disagree. We are, after all, tasty animals." One corner of his mouth curled up in a lopsided grin, and he let his eyes fall back on the other unicorn. "Voodoo?" The name was a question, an invitation to hear the charcoal youth's opinion on it all.

Voodoo

The canine shuffled away from the wrap of the snow beast's neck, shrinking away from the two of us as she had when we had first met. My brain told me that I should feel bad, to feel some pity for the poor wolf, but instead I just watched in silence. They clacked in my skull, complaining about the whole situation to themselves. I stood away from the two as they spoke, awkwardly watching and listening, this time being able to focus and pick up what Mauja began to direct toward Arathea.

"We are, after all, tasty animals." My right ear flicked back as if I was having a muscle spasm while the left pushed forward curiously. I'm sure you guys are one suggested, poking at the side of my skull with non-existent fingers. I stared down at the shaggy dog, the thought whirling through my brain like a dust devil. "Voodoo?" As soon as he announced my name, I immediately brought my eyes back up to the larger white stallion. "Huh?" I let out an awkward, soft chuckle, looking back to Arathea. "As long as you have trust in her, I do too."

My attention came back to Mauja, my red eyes attempting to find his own bright blue ones, full of questioning. My tail flicked back and forth, swiping across my legs with each short swish. What was it that made it okay for different species to intermingle? The Basin was full of Unicorns as far as I know.. I've had yet to see another species. That's because you're never there. You can't stay in once place for very long, can you boy? Well, very true. I can't help but try to see everything before something happens and makes me stay in the Basin.

Tagged: @[Arathea] and @[Mauja]

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Raven

Much of the excitement was kept back still, the wolf keeping herself from bouncing on the spot at the offer. She stayed in the hunched position, but the tail was swaying faster and the ear was perked forward when she glanced back and forth between the two unicorns. The young one did not seem to have much to say, and maybe that was for her best at this moment. He did not seem very fond of her, but as long as Mauja accepted her, things might go well. Unless all the others were against it...

"She will go to the Basin and be the Warden, should the other accept it as well. But she will wait until spring. The winter in this land has never been for her and to travel north while it is present is not a good idea." She had lifted her head a bit towards Mauja while she spoke, and then nodded in a short bow after she was done talking. Hopefully he would accept her request of not going there right away.

The wind picked up for a moment and had her huddle more from cold than submission. The half melted snow on her back had started to sneak through her fur towards her skin and soon she could not keep still anymore. She got up on her paws and shook, snow and water probably spraying around her before she huddled up again. "If Mauja will excuse, she must leave this meeting now to seek shelter elsewhere." With another bow of her head, she turned around and offered Voodoo a smile and then started to walk on all four through the dead, snow-covered grass.

Ascended Helovian

( prepare for epic suck ;~; )

There was something touching about creating happiness in another.. in being able to give them something they wanted. He could understand those who always strove to please others, who, in a roundabout fashion, gave up their lives for others – in a way, it was similar to what he was doing, sacrificing the individual for the future of the group. A small smile touched his face, blue eyes lightening up, softening, and he met Voodoo's red gaze silently. He seemed.. questioning, of something, but not of Mauja's faith in the wolf. At least, his voice agreed, and it seemed to be all that Arathea needed at least, as she proclaimed she would go there in spring and seek to take up her old position. It did surprise him somewhat, though; she had a lot of fur, didn't she? She looked sleeker than Mauja and his rugged winter coat, but wasn't that just because how it fell on her body? And what about next winter? Would she be able to stay in the warm Basin valley, or did she need to hunt on the tundra, and how dangerous would that be to her?

Time will tell, he told himself silently, and nodded. Maybe it would even be for the better. Perhaps all his own mischief would be over by then, so he could be there to greet her, and vouch for her? "If I am not there to greet you, seek out Psyche, Ulrik or d'Artagnan; simply tell them you're a friend of mine," he advised her gently as she huddled in the bitter wind; when she got up to shake, he laughed quietly and stepped out of reach. He could stay warm in winter, but it was harder if he was wet. "I'll see you around," he said by way of parting, watching her go, entranced by the dual emotions: fascination of nature's machinery, and that undercurrent of anxiety that predators brought with them. Once the wolf was away, he turned to Voodoo, looking at him in silence.