the Rift

The Silver Dagger [all welcome!]

Couth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
While anticipation and apprehension made a prickling sensation run up and down her spine, she would put all of her faith in her deity and believe that she truly had been blessed with her first taste of magic. Naturally, the mare sought to try this out and to strengthen it; if she and the Qian were to make a stand against the Sun God, she would have to have faith in her own abilities. Presently, she had none, given that she had not had the chance to test out her powers. The only bit of magic she possessed was the bit of ice that the strange creature from the Deep Forest had threaded into her mane; it had not melted any great deal yet, and seemed to have stopped melting completely when the Goddess of the Moon had blessed her with the gift of darkness so that she would never burn.

It was odd to think of herself as a creature shrouded by the black cloak of darkness; such a pearly, bright creature shrouded in such a thick dark gauze would have been a shame, had the Goddess not crafted the darkness to be equally as beautiful and appealing as Couth's natural form. She flew toward the Heart of Helovia without the use of her magic, with only the cooling sensation of ice against her neck. The air grew warmer and her wings glistened with a fine sheen of sweat when she landed.

She squealed as her hooves touched the ground, lifting a fine mist of ash. Her nostrils flared as she breathed in the caustic scent of smoke and decay, of burnt flesh and fear. Her flanks quivered and she rolled her eyes back to look up to the sky- cerulean but pale, as though even the blue of the sky was fading against the sun's constant shine. It was midday and she could hardly stand the feeling of heat that engulfed her, but she would not be overtaken by her surroundings; She focused. Her eyes closed, and when they opened, rather than being a cool shade of blue, they were black. The white wraith became engulfed in a shifting, feathery black cloud so that none of her pearly white pelt could be seen. Instead, she became a Couth-shaped cloud of black, impervious to damage from heat and flame.

And like a dragon who felt nothing of fire's cruel touch, she stepped toward the flames.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

The mare felt comforted by the God’s gifts to her and her kin. It gave her a sense of belonging, and not since she had walked upon her birthlands had she felt that way. The comfort in knowing that her strength of character was being recognised, her efforts in creating a safety net for herself and those she cared about was supported. The rage of the Sun Lord was a challenge enough for her to meet alone, but added with the responsibility she had obtained as WeyrLeader she had a lot on her plate.

The little shadow of the lands didn’t quite know what brought her to the lands of burning volcanic ash, her memories of this land were not all positive. The great gaping mouth of Helovia’s Heart charred the body of the ugly brute that had tried to force his will upon her. Forget. It was all Akaith had to say to the vague, smoky images of the disgusting stallion, whom she had helped slay with her bonded. The act of murder was something that haunted the mare, however.

She did not like to be a murderer. But there was no way to change it now.

A sigh left her as she looked upon the charcoal lands. She had not been gifted with the magical cloaks that would allow her to walk closer to the gaping wound on the lands that was the great flaming sinkhole. Her brothers had, though theirs was not as strong as Couth’s. A smile hinted at the edge of her lips as she realised it was the pale Pegasus whose presence she had followed here, and her golden eyes caught but a glimpse of her before the smoky veil of the Moon Goddess’ gift shrouded her body.

The queenly dragon darted out towards her, chirruping a greeting, her own scaled hide impervious to the effects of the flames. Though it was hot for the mare, she beared it out, her hard hooves not feeling the heat, but her recently singed forelegs certainly did, she was reluctant to stand still with them facing the mouth of lava, and so positioned her body on a bit of an angle, shifting her weight often, looking at her dragon with the draconically winged mare bathe in the flames of the Heart.

“Tread with care, Couth. Though you are gifted, I do not want my newest sister of the sky to be singed.” Her voice rang loud over the edge, she did not need to speak louder to project it, but rather her melodic tones became deeper, and stronger, clearer, so that they would travel the distance that separated she from them. She had to admit, she was interested in seeing exactly what the temporary gifts of the Goddess of the Moon were capable of.

Unregistered
ooc: <3 I was secretly hoping you'd join!

The smell of ash and molten lava was unpleasant, but cloaked in shadowy clouds, it did not burn her nostrils. It was strange to inhale the scent of fire and smoke without feeling the burn that came with it, nor the alarm or fear. It did not call the same sensation of terror or the need to flee to her breast, instead she felt calm, assertive, confident. Cloaked by darkness given to her by the deity she so revered, she felt no fear or reservation. She strode toward the mouth which brimmed with fire, her smoky hooves hardly touching the ground; she felt as light and carefree as the smoky black which surrounded her black frame.

A voice called out to her and she turned her head to see the speaker, none other than Mirage. She was stricken, then, by the word sister, and how true the statement could have been at that moment. Aside from the large, draconian wings and she shape of their bodies, they easily could have been sisters. When cloaked by the ebony shade of darkness, Couth was every bit Mirage's sister, both in colour and in the way their magic worked though Couth's was temporary and Mirage's was permanent. She smiled and nodded, flicking her ears forward and whickering to Mirage to express her gratitude.

She arched her wings above her frame and stretched them out. She reared back before she leapt forward, loping a few paces before her wings lifted her into the air with powerful, sweeping motions. She climbed into the hot air and circled above the mouth of flames, watching them and studying their patterns. When she was absolutely sure, she dove down just as the ground erupted in flames which rose high into the sky and engulfed the black figure. But rather than feeling the singe and tear of flames, Couth felt nothing more than a breeze engulf her body; she was untouched. She burst from the flames as a phoenix might, her wings and body still engulfed in the shadowy cloak. Now knowing the sensation of passing through flames, Couth circled toward the ground, landing close to Mirage. She walked forward, still coated with a sheen of black with a smoke that wavered about her, tossing and whirling with her main and tail, and touched her nose to Mirage's cheek. "Look at us; we maight be twins," She said, mirth singing in her voice.

The acrid scent curled through her nostrils, wrinkles causing the whiskers to quiver and twitch, an uncomfortable pinched appearance twisting her nose; she wasn’t a fan of this realm. It made her skin crawl, the heat causing sweat to drip down her hide, but not only that, the resulting ash and dust in the air then clung to her, making her feel heavier, weighted down by more than the already large amount of responsibilities she had taken upon herself. But the closing of her nostrils in attempts to minimise the amount of polluted air that might get into her lungs was the only sign she gave of her discomfort, the mare blinking to remove any ornery particles of dust and dirt that seemed attracted to her golden pools.

Scales that gleamed almost crimson like the fire below shifted and moved upon the hide of the dragon, who was growing exciting about flying with their newest, most intriguing friend. Mirage was ever so slightly apprehensive, her brush with flames making her all too sensitive and aware of their damage capabilities. She inwardly calmed herself by listening to Akaith, and trusting in her abilities, and the abilities of their deity. From the mental viewpoint Akaith provided her with, she flew with Couth, darting about the flames as they spewed upwards from the great mouth, feeling the warming sensation they had upon her dragon’s scales, but nothing more than that. She was relieved when she saw both her companions direct their flight back towards her.

Warmth was apparent upon her façade, a genuine happiness glowing behind her glittering eyes, as she returned the fond touch of affection to the mare without hesitation. Laughter softly rumbled within her, a small, feminine chuckle coating her tones as Akaith settled upon her back, spreading her wings at Mirage’s withers so that the mare might appear to own them herself. They were dusty with ash and charcoal, though hints of shimmering gold peeked through. “Indeed; though I am sure if one were to look into our hearts they would already struggle to tell us apart.” Though they were two separate beings with two separate entities and ways of living, Mirage found them undeniably alike in their interpretations of the world.

“The cloak suits you,” she uttered softly. “But I must admit I will be glad when there is no longer a need for it to be worn.” More than anything, the mare longed for them to survive this season, to break the tirade of Sun God and live in harmony with the environment once more. It was difficult to live in harmony with the environment when the environment itself was so tumultuous. But they would continue trying, and surviving, as they must. Come the change of the season, Mirage would then further investigate the matter of locating a permanent home for them all.

Unregistered
[dohtml]
Couth allowed the cool touch of shadow to slowly fade away from her form, reying instead on the cool touch of the ice in her mane to keep her from feeling too hot. Now that she had had the chance to feel the strength of the power she had been given so she could rely on it when she needed it most, she turned and began to walk away from the heat alongside Mirage, matching her stride for stride. Their differences became obvious as the shadow gave way to show Couth's pale, creme coloured skin, but still both mares moved with a fluid gate; even without wings, Mirage practically floated across the ground when she walked.

She dipped her head, deeply flattered by Mirage's words. She had hoped that Mirage felt the same, that they were kindred spirits, even though Couth had arrived with doubts that she would find others with the same beliefs. "You are a sister to me, Mirage," She said. "I feel Akaith's presence when I am alone, as well," She said. And it was comforting- she suspected that the dragon kept an eye over all the members of the Qian, so that they could all be linked. The pale mare hoped that she too one day would find a familiar companion in a dragon, though whichever creature her soul guided her to would be just as accepted and loved.

"I agree. I do not thirst for war," She said. "Though I will not shy from it. Nor will the others who follow you," She said, reflecting on the others who had promised to follow Mirage. Naturally, her thoughts drifted to Maskan and Madyrn, and a faint smile hovered on her features. The thought of Madyrn reminded her that she meant to find out more about Mirage's own favoured stud. "So what can you tell me about your Vikram?" She said, brushing her shoulder gently against Mirage's.

[/dohtml]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Absent footfalls kissed fire-burned earth, delicate steps leaving no sound and little trace in the wake of my shadowy figure. It was the sense of Akaith which drew me hence, the call of her mind against my own leading my wanderings to this spectacle. At the brink separating ashen pit from wandering grassland, I faltered, hesitancy suddenly sprouting, a cautious spring within my thoughts. From the embrace of tall grasses and against the harsh, flickering light of vibrant flame, I could see the two who explored their fresh bond, and pursue the feelings that run wild through my mind.

I watched from a distance, dark gaze pursuing the cloaked mare in her flight, and wonder. I wonder who she is - not her name, for I knew that - but who, truly, she was. I wonder what she does here, in Helovia, in my sibling's lives. I wonder at the extent of my own sister's affection for her, and what she must be, to have earned it. Couth, I had a name to place on the creature, but nothing more except that she bore a blessing from our Lady moon. She landed; they spoke; I could not help but wonder what my sister said, what they whispered, why they laughed. And yet something kept me from approaching, stayed my hooves and stilled my body.

The familiarity shared between dark and light equines is something I cannot help but feel some slight envy for - for it is something I am shut out of. The feelings Mirage seems to share with so many in this land is something I have yet to build; she searches for the ties from which I shy away, and indeed seem prone to break. You say that to keep yourself from trying.

I say that because it is true.
I remember Rhet, remember the children and Riya and I remember those I have lost or left on the road, the others through the years who are now only ghosts against the hazy voyage of my memories.

Make new memories.

Fine. Watch me.

Confidence feigned, nonchalance adopted; I slip from the reeds as soft as a breeze, neckwear bobbing gently against narrow breastbone, the sheltered egg pale crimson in the firelight. They are not facing me as I draw near, but I have no doubt that Mirage is aware of my presence - and perhaps has been for some time now. Dark auds listen carefully for the whisper of sound; so what can you tell me about your Vikram? Oh, look, gossip about my little sister's love life. Just what I need to hear. Before I can stop it, an exasperated sigh is squeezed from my lungs, tinged with humor and mock disgust. "Yes, please." Laughter glitters in my eyes as I draw alongside my smaller sister, letting soft muzzle drift across her spine, until my neck drapes across her withers. "Tell us all about your romance, all the saucy details. Do you go prancing through posies in the moonlight?" Wry drawl is tinged with subtle venom, dark and teasing and perhaps unnoticable by Couth, but no doubt familiar to my little shadow.

The feelings shared between the mares was welcomed; Mirage had truly felt afraid as her opinion lingered between them, hanging so openly amongst the ether, that it was not mutually felt, but to hear Couth's own reassurance of reciprocity the charred little shadow mare visibly relaxed. Bonds such as these were knew to her, one might be surprised to learn, but she had found the more she made the more she welcomed them, with those worthy of forging them. Rishima would always be her true sister, their lifetime spent together wouldn't ever be misplaced by the maiden. But Mirage's capacity for love was large, greater than most 'normal' beings; it was why she had founded the Qian, why every single of those who called themselves Qian held a spot within her breast - she honestly cared, and loved, all of them.

"She is as protective of the Qian as I am." Mirage reassured the pale maiden of her dragon's subtle, but constant, presence. She was glad that Couth did not shirk away from such things, that she embraced them, even encouraged them. Akaith's presence was difficult to recognise, usually she was physically present to keep an eye on the happenings of those whom she cared about, but for those she sensed could accept such a presence of mind, she enjoyed to have that link. A curious note was sung within the crown of Mirage by Akaith, silent to one's ears, it told of the presence of another, the news of which left a smirk upon the little shadow's lips. She did nothing to suggest that the presence of her sister, Rishima, might ever be unwelcome; quite the opposite.

The question posed by Couth then as their forms drifted towards cooler parts of the Heart (much to Mirage's preference) caused a moment of pause; none had asked her directly about the deep and unending love that so clearly existed between her and her draconic mate. She had informed her siblings of it, but only in her usual, fleeting, cryptic way, leaving them to fill in the blanks as they saw fit. Let them assume what they would; let them play their games against her mate, Mirage had faith that he would cope with them and so by doing nothing more than setting up the playing field she encouraged the games to begin. With a soft peal of harmonic laughter the mare welcomed her moonbeam sibling to make their duo a trio, she leaned lovingly into the pseudo-dominant embrace Rishima bestowed upon her shorter, stockier form.

"He is a steed worthy of your trust, little moonbeam." Mirage reiterated to her sister the first thing she had said about him, that most interesting evening when the taller sibling had happened across Mirage dancing a vibrant, intoxicating step in order to rid herself of energies that would otherwise have promoted new life to be planted within her - she was grateful Rishima had happened upon her that day, and not her brothers. "He is an honourable stallion, a bronze in his own right." Quieter, more sincere tones fell from her lips, a fond, affectionate smile infecting her entire façade -for a moment, she probably looked love-drunk. But it was only a moment, and the deep, thoughtful expression returned.

You are a dragon, and so too is he. Akaith's melodic hum voiced in her mind, but it had an extra sort of echo to it -Mirage realised that she had voiced her thoughts to all those present, holding back nothing as she poured her honest trust and devotion to the stallion not only to Mirage, but to Couth and Rishima too. No others could ever compare. With a definitive huff, the dragon retracted her thoughts from the others, leaving them all to wander these barren, ashy lands with only their own thoughts to echo about their tiaras. Mirage was grateful, more than ever before, for her dragon's presence and existence right then and there. Akaith, usually vain in her acceptance of her bonded's loving feelings, merely commented that it needed to be said, and diverted her attention to Rishima's curious new pendant and egg -she was especially interested in the egg, and chortled excitedly, jumping from Mirage's back to the crescent shaped patch of ivory upon Rishima's hide.