the Rift

[OPEN] Twilight of My Beloved Kingdom :: [Herd Meeting]

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
WE WERE STRONG.
we stayed bright as lightning. we sang loud as thunder.
we moved ever forward.</style>

The earth fell silent.
The sky fell silent.
The air fell silent.
My soul fell silent.

One moment, the sky surrounding me in beautiful blue tones, the wind embracing me gently. The next, I felt as if I had been abandoned. My chocolate wings claw in the black abyss I had landed myself in. Blind, I must have just gone blind. I begin to panic in the sky, a feeling so foreign to me that I cannot quite describe. However, after a moment, I begin to feel it. Silence, impressing upon my body like a vicegrip. The air is silent, as though all winds have died. Powerless gusts billow the skies, but they do not heed my commands as they once have. I feel the absence of my friend, the air, and it is a pit in my stomach that makes me feel nauseous.

I close my dark eyes for a moment, not that they are doing anything useful in this world of black. The sky, even at night, is lighted by the glint of stars and the shining silver of the moon. It was midday just moments before, so I know that this is not night. This is abandonment. We are forsaken. For how long?

When I open my eyes once more, I see pinpoints on the landscape lighting roads that I knew well in my mind. The rest is dark, like the heavens above me. In the distance, I see a bright flare - the fires of the Throat. We are abandoned, but in our isolation, the Gods have left us hope. I begin to fly easily and steadily by the power of my own will toward the beacon in the distance. Miles pass by unnoticed. Hours pass. My distance is only measured by the slowly increasing size of the fire, illuminating a dim crimson land I knew to be my home, the Dragon's Throat.

When I meet the land, I begin to slowly descend, aiming toward the sacred fires of the Sun God. I land upon the earth, standing like a silhouette in front of the giant pyre of the world. Shaded, like the rest of Helovia. My voice raises in a deep call, beckoning my shrinking herd to my side, to allow me to guide them through this tragedy so we may rise from the darkness.

"This is a false night, a mimic of the cool darkness littered with stars. I feel the absence of the Gods within my bones and soul. However, we must not lose hope. Let the beacon of this land serve as a reminder that they will return. This night will end.
"If you will allow me to be your strength, I pledge my life to you in these trying times. We are in the shadow of enemies, but together we will surpass any evil rained down upon us."

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by ANGEL!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Let heaven part so you can witness the colors of the sky
Golden child
We flew across the empty craters, a starless night was our keeper; and honestly it was a pour guardian. No sign of life had sparked interest, though we poured out our voices, calling for anyone that might be lost. Friends, family, and most importantly my betters. How long did they want me to hold all of this together? Where. Was. Kri? I needed a hard dose of her spiteful strength that had a way of keeping all her men in line and on their toes. Finally my wings grew tired of beating aimlessly and watching the dark sand trail beneath us—“Back to the pillar,” I called over the rustling winds so that another set of wings would follow. Talons are loosely coiled around the spot between feathers and flesh. Fina rode upon my back, she felt weaker without her fire—and adjusting to the new sensation was apparently becoming a trial.

That distant light was the only source of hope. The one promise that kept us all from going under; even as our magic had faded and even with the collar around my neck having turned into lifeless steel. It is then that I heard her voice, a sweet bugle in this dark world. Calling us forward. Kri had made it to the fire. I smile, though it is halfhearted and weakly pressed—turning toward a child that was braver than me was both prideful as a parent, but shameful as a warrior. I had once said he would be great, and powerful he would be. “You did well today Cera…I’m…very proud of you--thank you for all you’ve done.” There was so little time for him and all others to simply be young; and now, they are being forced to grow up even quicker. Whatever happened though, I would always love him.

My landing is smooth from years of practice, and I had been using the last few yards wipe any trace of fear or confusion from my face. She didn’t’ need her cousel clinging to the bottom of hooves like suckling colts, “Kri,” I said loudly enough to be heard over the gathering of kin and the like, “A word sister.” Naturally I slide forward, leaving room for Cera should he choose to join me at the head of our herd, “Gaucho and a group of our soldiers patrol the edge of our lands, they are keeping outsiders from entering—until your word is given that they be allowed in.” I take a breath and rattle off the rest of my information without a hitch, “Our Artisan, Valentine informed me that the gods are indeed gone—they vanished inside a hole…what are your orders Ma’lady?”
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan
A small head painted a paler shade of black flung up from its sandy pillow when a sharp voice called to gathering not far away. The silence of the unnatural night was torn to shreds as wings beat the stale air into submission, and as the shadow heaved up onto sturdy legs and began to round the pillar of light by which she had been resting she could hear a murmur of voices. Excitement mixed with relief as she hurried towards the newcomers. It felt so good to know that she wasn't alone anymore. Shadow wasn't sure how long she had been waiting by the pillar after she had managed to get back from the Meadow where everything had happened, but it had felt something close to an eternity. It was impossible to tell the passing of time in this mad darkness - if time was still moving at all - and it seemed even the sense of distance had been disrupted.

When she had made it halfway around the broad pillar the dark mare finally saw the newly arrived. Nervousness stiffened the stride as she realized she hadn't met these particular horses before - actually her list of acquaintances in this herd was embarrassingly short - and something about the way they carried themselves made her approach with a certain amount of caution. Were these the leaders of the herd?

"E..excuse me" she said and came to a halt a few feet away from the short flaxen mare and the tall painted stallion, violet eyes roving quickly across their frames to imprint their appearances into her mind. "I've seen... I was also there, at the meadow, when it happened. So, what I mean is... if you need to know more, I might be able to answer." The raven hated how meek and apologizing she sounded. The independent streak that burned within her wanted to just straighten her neck and stand tall, stare the others in the eye and deliver her information with pride... But it didn't work. No matter how many deep breaths she took her crow wings remained tightly shut against the sides, thoroughly diminishing her already small size, the head still hung low with ears that twitched at the slightest of sounds.

Maybe it was the darkness that stole away her confidence. This night-in-day was unnatural, everyone else she had met seemed worried and anxious... There just wasn't much to be proud over anymore. What good would her survival expertise do in a land like this where not even the rhythm of day and night followed normal patterns?

The little mare suppressed a sigh and stole a glance at the skies around them, hoping to see more pegasi come gliding in to land. What had the painted stallion meant by 'gods'? In context of the meaning he seemed to have meant the impressive looking horses that had been engulfed by the rift... But could that really be true? In the stories her mother had told, gods were great beings of infinite power who never showed themselves among the mortals. It seemed unlikely that any being like that would fail to battle back an anomaly, and even more so that they might fail and be engulfed by it.

But Shadow kept her doubts to herself and remained quiet, unwilling to trumpet out her ignorance to everyone in the Throat. Instead she settled down to listen to the others around her, hoping against hope that someone might else might know how to set the world in order again.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

High above, Gaucho circles. He has been given specific instructions from My-dus to patrol with the others, until a decision has been made. Rather than feeling panicked or frightened, Gaucho instead feels excited. In a rather morbid sense, Gaucho enjoys times of high-alert, for it is the only true test of his training. While he had succumb to the new-bond between himself and Mara which ultimately cost him the spar against Hector, Gaucho nevertheless felt fit to patrol the skies and keep his herd safe. He had seen the great orange tri-brid in the distance, likely rallying the other warriors of the herd, and he felt pleased, that all was well in this time of crisis.

As his dark body glided through and even darker sky, he had Kri's call, and immediately altered his course to bring himself nearer to the fire around which members of the herd were gathering. He already could make out My-dus below, and snorted approvingly. The antlered stallion did not begin to descend towards the group, however, instead remaining above them. Herd meetings often caused him confusion, and he usually needed My-dus to summarize what was said anyways. Besides, he was more good to them constantly watching the borders from his position above the fire, than trying to piece together their frightened questions.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Alerion Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Alerion
I PRAY for the beautiful,
but they PREY on me

The grulla stallion had not been a member of the throat for very long, but he found this place very much to his liking. He had not made any friends yet, besides Gaucho, but he wasnt even sure if he could call him a friend yet. Maybe it was due to that fact that he didnt approach people, or maybe it was because of the lonely mask that sat upon his face.

He heard the cry of his leader Kri. He did not know what it was about but he figure it was from all the rumors he had been hearing about the gods just up and disappearing Seemed kind of like a shitty thing to do? But if the god did it, it was probably for the best.

He walked to the group of equines, none of which he knew personally, but he had heard about Midas, and Kri he had also never met. Then there was Gaucho, the stallion who had brought him to these lovely lands. He walked next to Gauchos side and nodded his head in greeting before he spoke.

Kri, I know nothing of what has happened to the gods, or what is happening with the stars, but if you need ky help, I shall be by your's, or anyone elses side, all you have to do is call upon me." He said backing up slightly when he finished talking.

TALKING TO YOUR HOMIES

0 words

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

It was music to his ears when Kri's voice pierced the darkness. He'd never felt so alone and never before had his bond to Veci become so important to the boy. Both horse and spectre had grown closer in the darkness, together defeating their fears and taking comfort in each others much needed company. The hybrid was quick into flight and quick to line up before his leader, bowing his head in respect, feeling himself calm in the fires light. The flickering hues of red and orange causing his winter coat to appear more vibrant and his folds of bright mane to flow in fiery strands. He had been with Anthe when the darkness had first hit, it seemed he wasn't to show her the fine land of his home after all, instead he offered her endless darkness and it left him rather bitter. On top of that he felt completely lost, like the Gods had simply left and given up on them. There was so much he was trying to get his head round that he often just gave himself a headache. He calmed himself by keeping busy, his patrols of the land were much more vigilant and he slept less.

Looking about those already gathered he saluted Midas and Gaucho before smiling politely at Shadow, moving over to stand next to the ebony mare he had only recently just met. With eyes of intrigue he looked to the belle intently after hearing her words that she had indeed seen what had happened to cause the demise of everything bright and good in the world, her words echoing that of Midas'. Who too seemed to possess more knowledge than himself. "Did they leave us any instruction? Ma'am? General?" He asked of Shadow and of Midas with an eagerness to his booming vocals. Perhaps one of them would have a reason as to why this was happening too, but he did not want to pressure the them with countless questions, especially one so new to the herd like Shadow. Yet, he was still impressed by her bravery to speak out in front of those she must not know very well if at all.

Finally he turned to Kri, his face set in determination with eyes unwaveringly firm in the responsibility before him. The protection of their family was paramount. Always. "As ever at your command, Resolute! I will help my fellow comrades to protect our lands, our family and see to it that those who seek refuge are not left in the dark to fend for themselves." He bellowed his final words. No matter the crisis, time still ticked and the world still turned, they would not falter in the face of evil. Together with Veci, they would continue to march forwards.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Valentine Posts: 203
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 12
teeroo

V a l e n t i n e

Life was full of hard times now, seeping with darkness as the Moon or Sun refused to raise. After the encounter with Midas and Gaucho, I went to retrieve my family. I could see the fear in their as, as I told them of my brief meeting with the General and Gaucho, and what his instructions were. We left immediately to go to the light that was, for the only moment, the only source of non darkness in the Dragon's Throat. Kri was already there, and I hear her words echo throughout the rocks, the orange and red light dancing on the faces of those that had gathered. Midas was the first to speak, mentioning me as he asked for commands. A couple spoke of whom I did not know, a black pegasus mare and one that was young looking, of equine lineage. Hector was next, asking about what exactly the God's did when they had left us. As far as I knew, there were no instructions, no reason for their departure; they had simply vanished into the hole, sealing it behind them.

"My Lady, if I could speak for a quick moment. What I saw was the God's trying to fix a hole in what looked to be into a different dimension, or perhaps something else, I can't quick be certain. They tried to combine their powers to hold the tear, but it did not work. However, they each disappeared for a moment before returning and walking into the hole, and it was made a bit smaller each time one was gone. The last to go was the God of Time, and he said nothing as he left. As far as I know, there are no messages for us, but perhaps the logical place to check would the the Veins. The magic of crafting that I had been given is gone, so the wall will have to be put on hold unfortunately. Though I question I have is, should we check up on any of our allies? I would personally like to go to the World's Edge if you'd allow me, or to the Foothills if we are allied with them. Otherwise, I will do what you wish of me so that I may help this land to protect it in case the Aurora Basin decides to get any ideas from this endless night."

I look at Cherie, the fear in my eyes apparent. How would we ever be able to see them coming if they launched an attack. Just the thoughts my imagination can run around of dark wars send me almost in a self riot. But I must not think such things, and I must protect this land as much as I can, as we all must. It is too precious to give up, especially since I know Kri has been here for so long, and as she said, she would lay her life down for us, and why shouldn't we pledge to do the same?

This is going to be one long night.

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits
I am no longer going into the cbox due to recent events. You can PM on this (Valentine's) account, go on my skype (teeroo777), or PM me on DA (teeroo). Thank you.

Credits to picture on page, since they won't show up since they are in black: http://twiwolf.deviantart.com/art/Free-Love-362011598

Sumati Posts: N/A
Unregistered

A dawn ruptured earth, its light able to disarm all shadows and dissolve our requiem. We were given a chance every dawn to illuminate our hope. Always there; it promised to rise, it promised to relight our lives with reliability. Somehow, every day was someone we could rely on. He never changed for us, and that was where we believed our darkest hours. Before He set on us, we could believe in him.

I thought I knew the Sun before He left us. Twisted claustrophobia swept in, hollowing out the world as quick as it happened. I could taste it, bloody deprivation, devastation all a cloak placed over our Loorien, tucked in by a God who's salvation we prayed to. We were a sacrifice. Something vague, something traumatizing, tantalizing trapped us. Even ambition could not escape. A swell in the sky as black as bleak trapped our life-beam and froze it. I was lost in the swiftness of the way the world, without a sound, suddenly clapped its hands around our heads and stunned us numb as tail-slapped mosquitoes. As simply as it could be stated, and as horrifying as the fact was: abandonment was upon us.

Devastation was a term I lived to see in action many times before - even if I was the cause. The Gods were blanketing us for a long night ahead and one could see by the blink of sunlight before the blub blew, there was a hope left behind to comfort us. Hazel eyes grew black as my pupils spilled over the iris rims. It was blindness. I was in flight and I was descending. The night wrapped around my wings and pulled me down. I had no idea as where my hooves would place me. I thought I might fall forever. But at the whims of reality, I struck deep desert sand, sinking to my knees as wind twirled around my wings. I glanced ahead, regaining balance and composure, recognizing the treason my herd must feel. With the hope of the herd, as forsaken as we were, a light marred the dark horizon and glimmered in my eyes. They had kept us in mind.

I lept into the air once more, wings racing my heart as the distance closed over the dunes.

Gilded fires pulled me into their heavenly smoke. I glided downwards, meeting the Throat's Oasis with forgiving hooves. I heard the voice of Kri pour into my ears and I went to it, soaking in what she'd offered. My eyes caught her tawny silhouette as the citizens who'd already come to her beckoning call. I stood beside her, turning gracefully to face the crowd of those who found their way.

"This dark is a blanket over us. The Gods have concealed us while they leave. They have trusted with the demand of sanity to retrieve hope until their return. We must not let the darkness put us to sleep in these hours! We must hope and put our trust in ourselves to bring our Gods home victorious. If Kri is your strength, I will pledge as your honor and we will overcome this night!"

My hoof struck the sand and my wings rose. We could not let ourselves suffer this tragedy.

SUMATI</style>
He who is a good ruler must first have been ruled.</style>

image by aigle_dore @ flickr.com

Ayaka Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Ayaka

Elektra was clenched in my jaw as I carried her to the only light source in these times of darkness. Fear rose in the pit of my stomach as questions raced through my mind on why the unlit night had come. Had the Gods left us? Will the sun or moon ever return? What happened to my magic? I did not know why the Gods have left, but all I wanted was for them to return. I was sick of the darkness and longed to feel the hot sun beating down on my brown pelt. I was also more worried than ever about Elektra. With such little light, she could easily slip away from me and get lost in the cloak of darkness.

I couldn't help but clench my grip on Ktra a little tighter with the thought of her getting away from me. We were headed towards the flames that lit the night, giving us hope that maybe the Gods would come back. When I finally got to the fire that burned so bright, Elektra and I were not alone. Horses from the Dragon’s Throat had gathered around there for a meeting. I placed down my pup in-between my front legs, giving her a look that said, ‘if you move, you don’t want to know what will happen.’ I did not see a lot of ones that I actually knew and to be honest, I only knew about one or two of them. I guess I have spent too much time in my den taking care of Elektra. I looked around at everyone. I could see and smell fear growing deep in some of their systems. I was afraid too, but I was willing to protect anyone that felt threatened.

"If I may speak, I would be willing to help anyone that feels threatened during theses days of darkness. Even though the sun, moon, and stars have gone, do not let the light of the Dragon's Throat die. We are stronger than this darkness and soon, the God's will return and give us back light and take away this forever false night. For now, all we must stand tall."

Credits!

Tesande Posts: N/A
Unregistered

T E S A N D E

I made a slow approach to the gathering of this meeting, I had arrived late. But I had to, my wings were clamped fiercely to my sides as my legs had to do all the carrying. I was knew to this herd, and normally I might be singing and dancing irregardless of the presence of authority. But the recent events consumed me, cursed from birth I was completely blind in these conditions… completely blind. I couldn’t exactly say I was scared, for all life must move on and it will even if it does not end in my favor. But the constant darkness paired with my crippling eye disease made me a complete handy-cap and otherwise complete dead weight. What was happening? This has never happened to me before, perhaps my new boss could explain things. Perhaps magic had died, perhaps it was the doing of evil from another herd. Either way the issue needed fixing and I showed up today to present myself as a volunteering handy-man… er woman… Is there such thing as a handy-woman? I think from a man’s point of view there is just from the wrong perspective. What if you have someone who’s half man half woman? What would you call that? Oop, I’m getting’ off track again.
My steps were almost tip-toes across the earth as I made my way to a dim light ahead and the sounds of horses gathering near by.
THWAT!

I flinched as I hit a tree, one who’s branches forked near the base and I soon found myself stumbling over the pesky tree in a slight panic with a loud crash and surely shaking the forest as I did so. This is ridiculous! I thought to myself, my tip-toes slowed even more until I mostly waddled my way towards the light. Not only was I hours late, but it’ll be hours before I actually hold a spot in the gathering. I could very faintly make out the shapes of horses in the pitch black, but their forms were subtle in the background of the dim glow. I approached with caution, my normally bubbly and happy-go-lucky attitude completely out the window for this occasion. I carried my head low, my ears turning two and fro as I used every sense to try to navigate myself into this meeting without running into someone.
No sooner had I finally joined the circle did I accidentally bump into the rear of one of my herd members. Flinching I threw my head back and stomped the ground as I backed up, my wings opening slightly to catch myself. From the smell I could tell it was a stallion, barely able to make out his form I could see his coat was a gentle brown, but I couldn’t make out much more of him other than his wings and a pair of antlers resting on his head, ”Oi! Sorry ‘bout that, lad!” I apologized and stepped around him to take a spot next to the stud, my ears erected forward to listen to my boss speak.

Her words were inspiring, but I expected them to be, I nodded casually giving the boss my fullest of attention.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
WE WERE STRONG.
we stayed bright as lightning. we sang loud as thunder.
we moved ever forward.</style>

So few faces. In the dark, amidst the gleaming light of holy fire behind me, I can see the faces I knew. Many were missing, likely traveling along the pathways of Helovia, trapped in a sea of darkness. I think of Onni, who's pale, gentle face I do not see. Surely, she would come home.
She has the blood of a warrior in her veins.

Still, I think that many friends and the bulk of my family has disappeared, withered away in the night. I sigh, even as twinkling blue eyes scan out over the crowd, seeing Midas as he approaches. I receive him with a curt nod in greeting, our expressions serious in the flickering light of flames and the shroud of starless night. "Greet only those with familiar faces of our Brethren, the World's Edge, and any accompanied by one of our kin. Any soldiers or citizens of able body who are available should comb through the land, searching for those lost in the night," my voice is carried warmly, but firmly. "We shall guide our loved ones home safely."

"Just be weary of straying too far north. We have a hard enough time keeping our kin from the clutches of the Basin in sunlight," I say with a bitter snort.

The familiar face of a grey arrives, among the muttering of voices surrounding the fire. My eyes are drawn to his of crimson, almost silently asking him to speak of the information Midas mentioned. The newer lass, a dark pegasus mare, was also there, but her nerves seemed to be getting the best of her; no need to strain her further when we have another source. "A hole?" I ask, my face looking surprised. I knew that Onni mentioned the Tome Guardian babbling about a rift before the plague of shadows rummaged the land. I look with tired eyes toward the heavens. Let us not face our dead brothers as well.

"Thank you, brother. If anyone is leaving to speak with lady Mirage, it will be me, Valentine," I say, my words a heavy spoken order despite the casual phrase. "The news you had relayed to me from one of our brothers is disturbing. A conversation between old friends is needed now. Besides, wings travel faster than hooves."

From the skies, a long absent lady descends, a face I welcome warmly. "Sumati," I greet her, voice carrying over to invite her alongside me, even as her voice begins to reach toward the crowds. I smile, glad to see her back from her travels in the forests of mist. "Sister, you will be left behind in my stead while I travel to see the DragonHeart and her kin." Looking toward the large stallion with flaming orange hair, I smirk. "Hector," I say, innocent enough in gesture. "My general, you will be Sumati's right hand while I am away. See to it she is well guarded and meet her commands."

Looking back toward the stallion of gold, I smile warmly. "Midas, my old friend," I say, shaking my wings out for a moment, as if preparing for the trip immediately. "See to the command of the troops and the protection of our borders. Watch our asses until I return here.
"Replace the absentee sergeants with someone useful - Gaucho, maybe. He's dimwitted but solid as a boulder."

My eyes scan the crowd one last time. "The rest of you must remain strong. We are of sound hearts and grit; this night will not be the end of us." With that, I race forward, lifting my wings back into an exhausted flight North, hoping to find the Dragonheart before she left her home seeking me.

[ Aryel has been demoted for inactivity. If you are interested in being a Sergeant, please message me for details. ]

KRI the RESOLUTE</style>
MY FRIENDS, I'M ONLY FLESH AND BONE, BUT I WON'T LET YOU DIE ALONE.</style>

image by ANGEL!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

C e r a</style>
          & Ilaria
look around you; the world is beautiful

I had never felt stronger as I soared through a sky too dark to tell where the horizon was. With such ease I could crash, kill or hurt myself, and yet I never once doubted my aerial abilities even in this endless void. Somehow, I just simply knew where I was, even when everything I saw was the same. At least, until a pillar of light shot up from the desert sands, arcing towards the sky in a brilliant display of luminescence, a gift from the Gods we had lost. We would not be alone in this sightless world. They would not abandon us, leave us unwillingly, without giving us something to hold onto. Faith was what kept them alive, what kept us connected, and what kept the entirety of Helovia in perfect harmony. My own faith in our Sol King and the Foothills' Earth Lord was stronger than ever in their absence. Was I strange because of it? Perhaps, but ever since Father had found me shaking and skinny with too-long legs and too-big eyes so many seasons ago, I had been raised with an intense love and faith held towards the Gods. Their absence hurt me in a place I'd never thought I'd had, but at the same time, I felt as if they had placed their trust and faith in every single child of Helovia while they were gone. I wouldn't let them down, not when they had given me so much. I would sooner die than let any word of ill pass my lips about them, and I would await their return patiently, faithfully.

To my side I could feel Father shift upon seeing the pillar of light, and a rustle of wings alerts me to where he is precisely. I flicker emerald orbs over to him, and see the outline of his shadow in this strange, eery backdrop. It is enough. Ilaria clings to my locks, far from uncomfortable in such a dark arena, contented to know that while everything else had been taken from our grasping hands, we still had each other. His words burned a flame that had been growing steadily into a bonfire, and I smiled sincerely even if he could not determine the expression in this shapelessness. Following his orders I swept down towards the sand that glittered in faint, sporadic spots of gold below us with the new illumination. Father lands first, striding towards Kri as others trickle in. I do not land so soon, instead circling over the meeting in silence, thinking. Something strong had changed inside of me, something powerful and potent. I wanted to figure out what it was, it was almost driving me crazy. Never before had I felt like I was truly the yearling my age belied, but now I felt as if I had finally reached adulthood mentally instead of approaching it physically.

Once everyone had said what they wished, I dropped my large wings elegantly and in a streak of pale gold and alabaster I descended. Smoothly I touched down, all four snowy legs firmly upon the earth. Striding forward on legs I rarely let reach their full length, I listen to every drop of conversation, silent and new in this blackened world. There is more to me now, I can feel it, and I am more than excited to discover the reaches of it. Ilaria snorts inside my mind, and her fondness makes my heart swell. She tells me through images, emotions, and examples that she has always known it was lying there, dormant, inside of me. Still, she does not specify what exactly it is, but I feel as if I am finally worthy of being the son of Midas, the General of the Dragon's Throat. I am no longer a scared little colt, and at last the scar upon my breast is a badge of honor, not a sign of weakness. Midas had spoken true when he had told me that, and I do nothing to conceal it from my brethren as I move to his side. There is nothing I feel I should add in correlation to the herd as a whole, but I keep my eyes locked on the azure of my Queen, and in her I can see something I often find in my father's gaze. Kri is perhaps the only person I do not know well, and yet I feel I understand her nonetheless. Likely foolish musings, and she'd just as likely kick my scrawny ass to the Edge and back for even thinking it- she was Kri the Fucking Resolute. Inwardly I couldn't help but laugh.

She is soon to depart, I can tell by the crouch of her body and the poise of her wings, for I have held that same pose countless times. Before she can leave my presence completely, I say only one thing. "Fly swiftly and safely, Sultana. We will be strong in your absence, and await your return. The Throat's fire will not be extinguished so easily." It is the first time I have spoken in a meeting, and yet it is only directed towards her. Will she even hear the sincerity of my tone? Will she brush me off and disregard me? I have no knowledge of it for she is airborne in moments. Taking in a deep breath of the cooling air- chilling further from mere Frostfall to a sunless box we couldn't escape- I turn to my father.

It is this demand that will mean the most.

Perhaps this was the change? I can't tell for it slides easily like water over my tongue to touch his ears and his ears only. I am no fool- I know that Levi and Aryel are both removed now, and even if Gaucho is replaced there is still a spot to stand alongside he and Andromeda. I would try my hardest to make my father proud, to make my herd and myself proud. I was a crafter at heart, but I would not tie myself to the land I lived upon. It would tear me apart far too much to have it stripped from me should I lose my allegiance. No. I will someday beseech the gods for the ability to carry my craft wherever I go, for it is me and I am it. I cannot be separated from my architecture. But there is a warrior inside me that aches for approval, that wants to show Midas that the few spars we've had have actually changed me, that I can become someone important and powerful. "I will try and fight my hardest to hold that position, Father. Do not favor me, if I am bested it's to be. There is nothing left for me to fear if I can conquer the emotion itself." That said I turn my eyes away and begin to jog away, stretching my feathered appendages to soar high once more, lifting into a windy chill of atmosphere as I head towards the shaft of light that had burned into existence too fast to comprehend.

I will fight to show my herd, my father, and myself that I was no longer a useless Pupil. I would stoke the fire of our hearts, even if I could not secure the position I so desired. The fire of the Throat lived in its inhabitants, and I would not let it die.

image credits
table by whit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Let heaven part so you can witness the colors of the sky
Golden child
A dark mare showed up, along with Gaucho. I could hear his heavy set body and wings soaring from above; those wings that would keep us safe with all his strength—and I would never doubt that loyalty. The little female, who was colored appropriately for the night seemed to have answers—yet didn’t share them directly and thus got overlooked by Valentine who was quick upon heel to report. I smiled a little and gave her a knowing look that said, “Be easy sister, you have done well.” Others came in, yet still so few…how many more of our family was lost to the wildland? Hector also arrived, questions on his lips and eyes. My skull shook to answer his direct question and the grin that had momentarily come vanished in an instant into something grim and serious.

Valentines extended tale of what he had relayed before sent a shiver down this body, to give the cold credit would be false. Given the way gods work in stories—time meant little to nothing for them. A single day would be as a minute to our heavenly superiors, who could tell how long this actually would be go on? My frown deepened and ears notched back, I couldn’t, and wouldn’t voice that concern right now…to many other things are happening. The Sinbird, my other league seemed enthused; or perhaps she was just trying to raise moral.

All these hopeful faces. It was going to be a long time before we saw the warming sun and felt its hot rays touch our faces. Everyone had something brave to say, I said nothing to all this—simply stood by with that same grim expression. Wisdom knew that their cries where necessary, like the bellows of a stallion before battle. It pumped the spirit and for a time gave untold strength to its owners; yet my own cries remained locked tight, this didn’t feel like the end—only a prolonged beginning of pure hell.

Kri listened patiently as a leader might, and then turned to her standing soldiers with directions to follow. I nodded when she addressed me and give her command, “It will be done,” it was impressive that a voice could sound so vibrant and strong, despite the fact that my young mind was trembling. My vows meant more than anything now, and I knew that even if death came to us all—down to the last warrior we would fight. She added that our ranks had somewhat thinned, and I realized that the faces of my beloved sergeants are nowhere to be seen.

Cera came up behind us, closing his wings and falling in place. Fina turned to him with great sad eyes, pupils fully dilated despite the light. He speaks, wishing our leader fair weathered traveling. I glance at him, meeting those emerald eyes that shine with a strange blaze tonight. A fire that was easily recognized—and during these few weeks, it would be needed. My child was scheming something, “I will try and fight my hardest to hold that position.” One ear twitched and the other flicked up, surprise filtered across my stony facade; softening a little I started to speak, to interrupt him. Yet nothing would emerge. In this dark world, if my brave son wanted to become a warrior…he had the right. I wouldn’t stop him. Couldn’t stop him. So many wouldn’t and couldn’t. “You have my blessing,” I whispered for his ears alone, and knew that by this I would condemn this child to my father’s steps as every son before had followed. His age would separate him, yet I had entered through the ranks swiftly because of skill; not age.

Show them. I thought, show them that mighty fire.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

One my one they came pouring in, by wing and hoof and all with the same worried yet determined look upon their faces. Shadow watched them with curiosity as they settled around the short mare who apparently was one of the leaders... Kri, was it? and tried to imprint their faces and names into her memory. Searching the crowd for familiar faces, the black dove felt a pang of relief when the silhouette of Hector appeared from the darkness beyond the reach of the fire. She returned his smile without trying to hide how glad she was to find him whole and well, and inched closer as he came to a halt next to her - not entirely sure whether she wanted comfort or was offering it herself. Perhaps it was a bit of both.

So many horses there was in the herd! Blacks and grays, bays and chestnuts, winged ones and horn bearers all mingling without a trace of wariness towards one another. She even heard some address the others as brothers and sisters; something that surely couldn't be meant to relate to blood bonds, not with this number and difference in color and breed. It made her all the more anxious to butt in with her small degree of knowledge, and as she found herself cut off by a black-maned gray who apparently didn't feel as intimidated by speaking in front of a crowd as she were, inked ears ticked backwards in mild annoyance. Was it so bad to ask for permission before opening the mouth? How was she to know whether the leaders already knew of her information or not, or whether it was something to be shared with the entire herd or not. Feathered wings ruffled irritably as the crow gave herself a mental kick, determined to be quicker the next time.

How she loathed this insecurity, the lack of faith she suddenly felt in herself. It was so unusual for her, who had never hesitated to chase off wolves and mountain cats, who braved thunderstorms and jumped cliffs just as skillfully as her father had. Hector had said it already when they spoke before, it didn't matter that some had wings and others didn't - thus it shouldn't matter whether someone potentially had magic or not. Being afraid of something that might not exist at all was just plain ridiculous, and silly was the last word that would ever get to describe her.

She kept her mouth shut as the leaders spoke and Kri gave orders to the generals, and watched with curiosity as the short mare took off and headed towards the north. A part of her wished to tag along and join the leader on the journey to this distant land, the World's Edge... But fear of the darkness that surrounded them held her back, along with a healthy respect for someone who had earned the nickname Resolute. She supposed that an untested newcomer wasn't the kind of company a commander would want for traveling companion. Instead she focused her attention on the remaining lead, Sumati, and the two generals that stood closest. Meeting the sympathetic gaze of Midas she offered him a grateful smile for his concern, and turned between him, Hector and the Chancellor with more determination than she had shown before.

"I can help too, in any way you want" she said, eyes burning in violet hues as light from the fire reflected in their depths. "I might be new to the herd and don't know that many horses around here, but that also means that not many know of me. If you need eyes and ears outside the borders I'd be happy to offer mine." Wings swelled by the black sides and with a fierce look to her the mare tried to make herself look bigger and less intimidated where she stood. It was hard when standing next to the giant Hector who outgrew her with more than four hands, but at least there was no mistaking the will to be taken seriously that radiated from her gaze.

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Avalon Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The wind knows a lot about martyrs. After all, it's carried a lot of souls away.

I had stood back with my antlered head lowered as I listened to every word spoke as it was all true. My silvery lined eyes flickered from face to face as they spoke, inky black and gritty mane moving with the flow of my head.

They spoke of defending and I nodded and snorted my agrees with them. "If there is any way I could be of help, please do let me know. There is no God to summon right now so I am afraid I cannot seek out anything from him. Defending? Most certainly.

I may not have wings, but I do have antlers and will power. I also happen to belong to the Dragon's Throat and much like that pillar rising to the heavens, we will burn bright even when there is no brightness left!"
I stomped a hoof then settled into silence once more.

Kri announced her departure to talk with the World's Edge and I nodded with a slight frown. "Please fly safe, Sultana. We need to discuss several things once you return."
OOC~ I'm extremely surprised I missed this thread and I am so sorry for the belated post!
It will probably tell you that martyrs are not heroic. They're a tragedy.

image credits