the Rift

Back to basics

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Catalina

Trapped in the perpetual blackness of night, without the milky moon’s haze to grant ease of passage, nor sparkling star-shine to encourage her on, the young horse stepped quietly, carefully and alone.

It had been many months since Kanti’s warmth had soothed her soul, and while she did not understand the mare’s sudden desertion, no grudge or angst tarnished the treasure trove of fond memories they had filled. Deep beneath the gentle pulse of her heart, Cat often wondered if it wasn’t her father’s doing; his selfish lustful existence. Sadly she presumed as much, because her mother’s heart was weakened by her romantic cravings, it was her vulnerability; and her heart had always been chained to his, unfaithful self.

Cat would not succumb like that; love was for the feeble and hopeless, and the resolute filly’s intentions lay galaxies away from that sort of silliness.

It was not easy to see though the smothering black, and so she turned conscientiously to the senses which remained, hyper vigilant and ready. Sooty-cream ears swivelled constantly, straining to dissect the delicate melody of night-life so that she could make some sense of her surroundings. A predicament it was not, Cat was by no means lost; neither did she feel exposed as she slipped delicately above gnarled tree roots through the hoarfrost which was strewn thickly across her path.

Each nostril flared at the end of her slim, feminine face, sucking the scents from the billowy breeze as it tousled the bristly pine needles above; so too the long, lazy hair which draped stylishly about her burly shoulders. There were many around her, she knew, though their identities were unfamiliar as she continued along. Cat had spent her childhood dabbling through the wilds, without a home; without security. But she could waste no more of her life wandering; the time had come to find somewhere to settle- to grow.

IMAGE CREDITS

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

Zjarri could not always be with her.

For long periods of time, he would often be away. On "grown-up business" he would say, but she knew better. She knew the destruction and devastation he caused among the kingdoms, bringing war and death in his wake when there could be peace. He did not fancy the kingdom life for Yseulte, and so left her in the care of his beloved twin sister, the serene, violet-eyed Makenna in the deep of the desert among her grandmother's fighting warrior women. The White Twins were something to behold in Liridon, son and daughter of the powerful Fire Lord and his Firebird, both born pale and cold as the north, but with skin more scorching than the belly of a volcano. They were halves to make each other whole—Makenna's water to Zjarri's fire, her peace to his rage. As Zjarri wished, the fiery Donieta women raised Yseulte in the depths of their desert, flat and wild as the eye could see.

And so it was only natural that Yseutle hated trees—truly hated them. She could not see the endless sky, could not feel the warmth of the sun on her back. Not that it mattered, anyhow, as everlasting darkness had settled across the sky, draping Helovia in a cloak fashioned from night, shadow, and cold. The sun never rose in the east, it did not set in the west. It never rose at all. The cool, twisting darkness and the labyrinth of trees was much more suited to Itzal's slinking, stalking ways. But struggling through the wild depths of the tangled woods where dark things slumbered was the only way to recruit future sisters, and so stumble blindly through the darkness after Itzal she did.

Her heart was glad when Itzal snarled to notify her of company ahead. The Threshold was usually alive with sweet meadow lark song and the murmur of wind through the ferns, but in this blackness, the somber forest was stiff, silent, and dead. And so she approached the youth carefully, slowly, easing into the company of the young stranger. The dimness of the forest cast the equine in a shroud of murky darkness, but she could only just trace the outline of a graceful, undeveloped body with all the vulnerability of youth. She was a lovely little thing, with a pretty face pale as the moon and precious as a wild daisy, but her shoulders were strong and her gaze bold and fearless. And those eyes...eyes so old and wise for such a young face.

"You are alone," she noted with silent approval, appraising the youngster with a cool gaze—ever the iron maiden as she contemplated the girl, searching for flaws, weaknesses, strengths; anything that would give Yseulte the knowledge she desperately sought. She was newer to this recruiting game than most, but it came natural enough. "My name is Yseulte, and that is Itzal." She motioned to the tiger with a flick of her tail. "I am Vasílissa of the Valkyries. We are an independent sisterhood; free of men and the rule of kingdoms. You would do well among us, I think."

yseulte & itzal,

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Unregistered
Catalina

The air was biting cold, as Cat stepped through it unfazed. Having spent her childhood drifting with the seasonal breezes through Helovia’s vast wilderness, the filly was hardened and took the bitterness of Frostfall in her graceful stride. Her coat had thickened significantly, insulating her and providing her with the necessary warmth to endure even the cruellest of climates. Her stride was unfaltering and calculated, all senses alive and responsive, relaying every tiny movement around her; the slightest shift of fragrance, straight to her finely tuned brain.

A sound did split the silence which gripped the forest that night (or day, she could not tell which it was). The measured step of another snagged her attention and Cat paused, mid-stride to peer ahead and note the approach of another, whose bright blue eyes reflected her own reserved curiosity. The strangers outline was dim but bright against her grim, black surroundings, and the young horse noticed in one swift assessment that she was of Unicorn blood. Cat knew well of the disease building through the north, and that it was founded by those alike to this mare, but she was never judgemental, and neither was she quick to presume the other’s involvement in such felony.

Her eyes ventured down and away from the mare, to peer at what she supposed was a feline. Likewise she examined the creature with thirsty, though well concealed interest.

Her assertive manner, though not consciously obtrusive or impolite, was indeed deliberate because Cat was not at all a child longing for a mother’s tenderness; a family’s guidance. Nor was she about to write herself a life sentence to one who sought her for the solely self gratifying purpose of expanding their egos; their herd of lovesick heifers.

Not deterred, the filly lifted her face appropriately and sought the mare’s gaze once again, positioning herself neither dominantly, nor submissively- just equally. So too did the other apparently, and Cat thought quickly, shrewdly, as she poised beneath that invisible limelight, that she had perceived a note of approval. “You are alone,” came the voice though softly, forcing her small skull to tilt subtly to listen. The statement was met with her brisk nod, and gentle fluttering of flaccid nostrils. Cat was indeed alone, while she was not introvert, little pleasure came from the bumbling company of half the ignorant population throughout Helovia- and her view was well informed.

“My name is Yseulte, and that is Itzal." The filly peered down; following the motion of Yseulte’s flicking flaxen tail to the dim outline of the tiger where it was stationed attentively and close-by. Again she nodded, enough to be noticeable through the darkness, but not overly so. Yseulte continued smoothly, her voice strung with some feminine coolness that was undoubtedly quite appealing. “I am Vasílissa of the Valkyries. We are an independent sisterhood; free of men and the rule of kingdoms. You would do well among us, I think."

A Sisterhood...Mhm.” Cat’s eyes narrowed slightly as she considered Yseulte’s introduction with a calm murmur.

Cat.” She replied finally with her name, after taking her time to understand thoroughly all that had been said. “My values align your cause, your Sisterhood.” She agreed simply, through a half smile. There was no need to elaborate; the message was as stark as the stars on a moonless night, so the yearling continued without further delay. “I agree, Yseulte; Sister.

IMAGE CREDITS

Hidden Account

Yseulte smiled in return.

"That is well, Cat." The Vasílissa did not suffer fools well, and so she was immensely pleased to meet such a straightforward soul who was quick to grasp a concept, weigh its pros and cons, and respond just as swiftly. Yes, Yseulte meant what she had said. Such a swift, decisive thinker would do well among them. But was the girl's body and fighting prowess as sharply honed as her mind? If not, a training regiment would soon remedy that. "Yes. Sister," Yseulte agreed softly as she regarded the even gaze of the young recruit. Such bold, fearless eyes.

"As it happens, you are currently my only sister and the first Valkyrie. Congratulations." The odd, cool smile lingered upon Yseult'es soft, pale lips for a moment longer, before fading seamlessly into the flawless contour of her jaw. Her gaze hardened. "You will swear a a lifelong oath of fealty to the Valkyries alongside your sisters, once we have increased our numbers." Would the girl remain faithful to her decision or would she balk? Yseulte certainly hoped not. She had to start somewhere, after all, and if she had to build an empire with only Cat at her side, then so be it. "You can swim, yes? There is a small island to the southwest of the Endless Blue's shores. There we shall lay the foundations of the Valkyries this winter."

She had not explored the whole of the island yet, but it would suffice for the time being as they recruited sisters. So far south the island escaped the brutality of winter and was a wild, humid tangle of beautiful jungeland that teemed with vegetation, freshwater springs, and exotic birds and beasts. Although she did not particularly care for the dense trees, the island had a mysterious, dangerous allure to it with all of its grand decoration of draping vines and poisonous flowers. Itzal had been loathe to depart with the exotic little island. She had never seen her tiger companion so half so thrilled as he was when he prowled through the heart of the jungle, exploring the hidden depths and chasing brightly colored birds. But that had been when the sun scorched the earth and warmed the sea. She had not been back since the disappearance of the sun, but desperately hoped she could trust her instincts to find her way back to it again in a sea of blackness.

"Name what you would train to be, and I shall grant it. Are you a shieldmaiden who speaks with blows, or a siren who has a clever tongue to speak for you? Or do you possess the fleet feet and keen eyes of a scout? If neither of these suits you, perhaps thievery." Yseulte contemplated the young Valkyrie before her, pondering which would appeal to Cat the most. "As for your current duties, I expect you to help me recruit those deemed worthy of our ranks." She paused, her gaze finally softening. "Do you have any questions for me, little sister?"

yseulte & itzal,

Unregistered
Catalina

The fact that Yseulte’s Valkyries were only at the moment two strong did little to faze the young mare. At no point did the resolution cloaking her amiable expression dither.

I do swear, Yseulte.” Came the smooth, deliberate note of her feminine voice, sliding through the cool air to confirm her complete and utter allegiance to their growing Sisterhood. “I will not falter from your side, nor that of my sisters’ yet to pledge themselves as Valkyries.” A thin warm smile flashed across Cat’s slim muzzle, and her head tipped forward through the darkness to portray her respect and commitment.

“You can swim, yes?” The yearling nodded appropriately at this. She could indeed swim having lived the span of her golden childhood in the company of that very sea her Older-Sister now spoke of. Though the salt-laden waters were often windswept and frothy, Cat was quite familiar with the hidden sandbar which bridged both the secluded island and the mainland, and offered the mindful, safe passage. Her mother had never tolerated her daughter’s desire to venture out into the murky depths though, and so until now the distant island had remained, by herself, unexplored.

Catalina had not the mind-set for fighting and violence yet, her soul remained rightfully pure while her bones matured and her still lanky, juvenile bodice transformed. She had been raised to be both eloquent and swift-witted however; to hone both her ability to listen and sharpen her awareness. Many hours had been spent reflecting on those things trivial, and beyond the borderline which marked the very opposite. Again with a quick thoroughness that defied the innocent gaze which glowed on through the night, Cat considered the mare’s offer.

I wish to expand my knowledge of lore and divinity; to build the Valkyrie’s legend and weave it through the dreams of our youth and the hearts of our Sisters, so that they might share our values with the women of this world who are trapped and without hope.” Cat’s eyes narrowed intently as retribution filled her thoughts; she spoke with clarity and unfathomable fortitude. Perhaps one day Kanti might slip from the romantic shackles binding her heart, and come to live as a Valkyrie herself- she could only hope. “When we have soldiers, I will train amongst them, aside from my preferred studies, and learn to fight.” Catalina would devote herself completely and exclusively, to the protection and growth of the Sisterhood.

Yseulte’s voice fell away causing the painted filly to refocus her teeming thoughts, though not once had her confident blue eyes swayed from their lock with the pale-hued mares. “I have no questions.” Once parted from her Vasílissa, Cat would set to work searching for those who reflected the virtues shared by the Valkyries.

IMAGE CREDITS

Hidden Account

So young, so bold, so sure of herself. And those eyes—such fearless, serious eyes. What had the girl been through that caused such a youthful face to cast such a stern, ruthless gaze? Yseulte's heart, normally so withdrawn from the rest of the world, felt something for this youth. Compassion? Sympathy? Pity, perhaps?

No, not pity.

Cat would surely despise her for it. But what could have possibly happened to force a child into a woman grown? She would not pry, however. Some things were for the heart to know and the heart alone. Yseulte, of all people, understood this more than most. And who was she to judge, anyhow? She became a murderer as a child, after all. Surely she could not have been much older than young Cat here. In fact, gazing curiously at the girl with keen, cold eyes, she realized she must have been the same age, if not a day older. This revelation placed Cat in a new light, and Yseulte was suddenly quite aware of how capable the strong-willed girl was, of how capable she had been at that tender, unpredictable age.

Yseulte smiled softly as Cat solemnly swore to the cause of the Valkyries. The girl's expression was as solemn as her oath. "It is done, then. I can ask no more of you than that." And yet, I will demand more of you than you could ever possibly imagine. Because the girl so willingly bound her fate to that of the Valkyries, Yseulte felt a strange sense of pride swelling deep within the shadows of her heart. She had not felt so completed and purposeful in a very long time. Sisters. "I believe you mean what you say, Cat," she said quietly, but her iron-like gaze said something entirely different: Never betray me.

"And I will always be there for you as well." She told Cat this because she would have liked to been told the same when she was the girl's age, desperately so. But she'd had no one. Only a terrible secret to keep her company; a dreadfully heavy burden in her heart with no one to share the load with. She didn't wish the same for Cat.

When Cat proposed to both train as a warrior and delve into the studies of a scholar, Yseulte nodded her approval. "That is well. I expect great things from you one day, little sister." Sooner than you would think. She paused momentarily, regarding the young Valkyrie before her thoughtfully. Was it foolish to trust one so young as completely as she did? No, she didn't think so. She did not dare trust the fleeting wants and impulses of the heart, but her gut feeling on the other hand, was a different matter. And she had a good feeling about this solemn-eyed girl.

"Because you were the first to answer my call, the first to believe in my cause, and the first to follow my leadership, I will reward you. From henceforth, you shall be one of the three shieldsisters, the Gorgons; my most faithful and trusted advisors." Yseulte nudge the girl on her cheek gently. "I will value your good counsel above all else, Cat, and as such, I expect you to speak your mind freely and truthfully on all matters, both great and small. You will challenge me, question me, and push me to be the best I can possibly be, and in return, I shall most certainly do the same for you. We will learn and grow together, you and I."

In that fleeting moment of complete and utter certainty, Yseule knew she was born to rule and accepted her role completely, welcoming the embrace of power like a long lost lover. Truly, she was her father's daughter. And for once in her life, Yseulte was not ashamed of it, but harbored a fierce pride to be descended from such magnificence. A monster he'd been, in truth, but such monstrosity made him no less of a great man, and the same greatness, the same divine blood of Zjarri the Demigod, Aislia the Firebird and the Fire God himself thrummed through her veins. She was destined to rule, and she would do so with Catalina at her side.

"But it is easy to say such things, more difficult to actually do, I'm afraid. And I can promise you, what we must do...it won't be easy. Undoubtedly, it will be the most difficult thing we ever do in our entire lives. In my experience, I have often discovered that greatness comes with an equally great price," she murmured softly, regarding Cat with a sad expression, thinking of her father. But her voice was unwavering, unrelenting. "In order for our nation to succeed, the deeds required of us will not always be...honorable," she admitted, wondering if in spite of her all her lifelong efforts, she was becoming the one thing she feared most in all of this world: her father. "And if that is the case, then so be it. The price is high, cruelly so, but I am willing to pay it a thousandfold. And I will, by whatever means necessary, ensure that we succeed in our cause."

Can you promise to do the same, sweet sister?

"Now go. We will talk again soon." Her cold, iron gaze softened, and a wicked smile bloomed like a rose on her pale lips. "We have work to do."

yseulte & itzal,