the Rift

Back to basics

Catalina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Catalina

The air was biting cold, as Cat stepped through it unfazed. Having spent her childhood drifting with the seasonal breezes through Helovia’s vast wilderness, the filly was hardened and took the bitterness of Frostfall in her graceful stride. Her coat had thickened significantly, insulating her and providing her with the necessary warmth to endure even the cruellest of climates. Her stride was unfaltering and calculated, all senses alive and responsive, relaying every tiny movement around her; the slightest shift of fragrance, straight to her finely tuned brain.

A sound did split the silence which gripped the forest that night (or day, she could not tell which it was). The measured step of another snagged her attention and Cat paused, mid-stride to peer ahead and note the approach of another, whose bright blue eyes reflected her own reserved curiosity. The strangers outline was dim but bright against her grim, black surroundings, and the young horse noticed in one swift assessment that she was of Unicorn blood. Cat knew well of the disease building through the north, and that it was founded by those alike to this mare, but she was never judgemental, and neither was she quick to presume the other’s involvement in such felony.

Her eyes ventured down and away from the mare, to peer at what she supposed was a feline. Likewise she examined the creature with thirsty, though well concealed interest.

Her assertive manner, though not consciously obtrusive or impolite, was indeed deliberate because Cat was not at all a child longing for a mother’s tenderness; a family’s guidance. Nor was she about to write herself a life sentence to one who sought her for the solely self gratifying purpose of expanding their egos; their herd of lovesick heifers.

Not deterred, the filly lifted her face appropriately and sought the mare’s gaze once again, positioning herself neither dominantly, nor submissively- just equally. So too did the other apparently, and Cat thought quickly, shrewdly, as she poised beneath that invisible limelight, that she had perceived a note of approval. “You are alone,” came the voice though softly, forcing her small skull to tilt subtly to listen. The statement was met with her brisk nod, and gentle fluttering of flaccid nostrils. Cat was indeed alone, while she was not introvert, little pleasure came from the bumbling company of half the ignorant population throughout Helovia- and her view was well informed.

“My name is Yseulte, and that is Itzal." The filly peered down; following the motion of Yseulte’s flicking flaxen tail to the dim outline of the tiger where it was stationed attentively and close-by. Again she nodded, enough to be noticeable through the darkness, but not overly so. Yseulte continued smoothly, her voice strung with some feminine coolness that was undoubtedly quite appealing. “I am Vasílissa of the Valkyries. We are an independent sisterhood; free of men and the rule of kingdoms. You would do well among us, I think."

A Sisterhood...Mhm.” Cat’s eyes narrowed slightly as she considered Yseulte’s introduction with a calm murmur.

Cat.” She replied finally with her name, after taking her time to understand thoroughly all that had been said. “My values align your cause, your Sisterhood.” She agreed simply, through a half smile. There was no need to elaborate; the message was as stark as the stars on a moonless night, so the yearling continued without further delay. “I agree, Yseulte; Sister.

IMAGE CREDITS

Messages In This Thread
Back to basics - by Catalina - 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM
RE: Back to basics - by Yseulte - 06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: Back to basics - by Catalina - 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Back to basics - by Yseulte - 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM
RE: Back to basics - by Yseulte - 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: Back to basics - by Catalina - 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM