[OPEN] To Much Responsibility [Kimber & Mirage]

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

The darkness was unnerving. Every little sound made the paint stallion twitch. Despite the words of both Mirage and the demi-goddess Israfel, he still feared the darkness that had settled over Helovia. So much blood and death had come from the shades of Isilme. Of course it was right to fear that just as they had all fled here, the shades could follow. His mother had spoken of seeing the haunting sight of her parents and oldest sister as shades... Would it ever be possible that he could now see his father and mother as the same? It was times like this, he childishly wanted his parents back... Back, alive and together as a family.

It was with a heavy sight he stood, restless in this constant darkness. He had no magic to protect his sisters, to protect Alanna... The hellhound fem sighed at his side as she too stirred. No He spoke firmly into her mind. Stay with my sisters. Tell me if they wake. I'll be back soon enough. She lay back down, snuggling close to the pale form of Sakura. Aaron on the other hand needed to move... He needed to think.

He did not go far, just far enough that any sound he made would not wake the girls. They needed rest. The deaths of both Torasin and their mother had taken tolls on all three girls. Azale had tried to step up, to be there... But she had also taken to the skies more to finish the quest the Moon Goddess had given her. Now that it was dark, she stayed home to help protect the family. It had been startling that someone had tried to steal her... But Aaron had stopped that of course.... He had magic to help him then. what if someone tried now? No, surely no one would try now... They had been though to much.

With an angry snort he bucked hard, both hind hooves landing on a tree. Why had it been them? Out of everyone in Helovia... Why had it been Torasin and his mother to die?! He kicked the tree again in anger. He looked to the starless sky, his eyes dark like the world around him. "It's not fair." He spoke allowed. "It's not fair that I have to be responsible for them." He snorted again. "I wasn't ready to be a parent... Why did you both have to go?!" He almost shouted the last part, frustrated. He wasn't ready to teach kids. He wasn't ready to show them right from wrong... But now he didn't have a choice.... He was the oldest, the natural choice for a caretaker. "Why didn't you fight back?" A question for both the golden paints he knew would never be answered. "They needed you, I NEEDED YOU!" He looked back down to the ground and kicked the tree again. "I'm not ready to be responsible for so many lives...."

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
cliff image by John and Tina Reid at gettyimages.com

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Unnoticed in the midst of his angst, unwarned by the hellhound that normally shadowed his side, Aaron was followed. He was easy to see, with his mainly white coat moving through the darkness. And it was without hesitation that Kimber trailed him from where she'd been keeping watch nearby. It had been a relay of vague information that had stirred her from her silent sentinel, leaving Kaiden behind to keep Alanna company where he sat in the underbrush. The kitsune was ever mindful of his small size in comparison to that of everyone else, and chose these days to use underbrush as cover to keep his many tails from being stepped on.

A sudden crashing noise ahead drug the young mare from her awareness of her bonded's position, hurried her steps. A second crash reassured her as she recognized the thud and rustle as coming from kicks to a tree, not a body falling through bracken. She slowed then, no longer worried for her friend's health, but she was more than close enough now to hear the venting words he spouted. Her ears swivelled to listen, gaze softening with compassion and understanding, as she continued forward to join him.

Silently she stepped up beside Aaron, brushing against his side with her shoulder, teeth reaching out to catch and tug on his mane in the playful but affection gesture that was so common from her. "When is life fair, Aaron? Was it fair that I never met my father? Was it fair that the dead took our home? Was it fair when Ophelia and Ktulu took away the Foothills?" Gently, quietly, she questioned him. Pointed out the past, things they'd dealt with and overcome in one way or another.

"Everyone must go sometimes, that's what Mother told me, when I asked her. We don't get to chose when or how, we don't always get to say goodbye. But what we do get to do? We get to keep living. That's what they'd want. For you to carry on, for the girls to carry on. To live, to love, to laugh. You still have family, you still have friends. You have all of the Edge to guide you, to guide them. Mother, Mirage, Thor, Destrier, Madryn and Maskan. Everyone. They're all older and wiser and seen more than you or I will ever imagine. And when they're gone? We get to go on and see things they'll never be able to imagine." Her bright eyes turned away, to watch the lights in the mists. "I mean, would you have ever imagined standing here in darkness when it should be day, watching the mists glow with fireflies you'll never catch? Kaiden already tried, they disappear." A playful tone slipped into her voice as she glanced sidelong at Aaron, tail switching toward him with the intent to startle a laugh out of him if he was too melancholy to do it alone.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mare did not know what brought her to this area of the Edge this strange evening, only that she could not ignore the urge to simply be here, to wait, to linger, to see what unfolded. The tragedies that had occurred, and the darkness that had followed, could be taken in many ways - was it an omen? A superstition come true? The depression of it all still threatened her wellbeing, though it was getting easier to continue on with life - to focus on living instead of on all that one had lost. Was that not how she had always lived her life? How had she continued on when her parents were lost to her at the youthful age of yearlinghood? It was so long ago, she sometimes frightened herself with the thought that she had forgotten what they looked like, what they sounded like, what their gentle, caring caresses felt like. And it was true, she had forgotten, largely, all of these things - but she held onto the morals and values they had ingrained upon her, the ways in which to live and survive in this everchanging world of theirs.

Movement was spied; the mare was in luck, or perhaps her intuition was simply acute this evening. The scent of youthful stallion and mare passing nearby alerted her second to the sounds of their passage, and swiftly the mare followed, listening to the tantrum, pausing her steps and lingering amidst the shadows to hear the condolences, the advice, the gentle admonishment. Akaith was nowhere to be seen, swallowed by the darkness this evening - possibly chasing the curious star-like fireflies like Kaiden - and so as Mirage emerged, it was only her golden eyes, and the golden tattoo upon her nape, that were reminiscent of the hues of her draconic form, and her bonded. They created a sharp, startling contrast in the low light, where the sheer blackness of her pelt seemed to hoarde shadows around it, what little light did reflect off her seemed to glow from her very soul within. Perhaps it was doing just that. Perhaps it was just simply a trick of the strange, starlike orbs that danced around them.

"Your friend speaks wise words." The DragonHeart spoke kindly, warmly addressing the couple, whom she suspected barely even knew that they were a couple yet. "It is all right to be angry. Upset. Sad." It was advice she rarely took herself, for she was one to see emotions as weakness, and so ordinarily she showed very few - but tonight she would show many. Tonight, that stony façade had been left behind, if only to aid in the healing of a hard working , beloved friend and comrade, a contributing member to her herd, a life source to his sisters and close friends, a remnant of a bloodline now paused until he passed it on again. The mare reached out with her maw to bump against his, and Kimber's, a gentle nudge, a reassurance to back up her words. "It takes time, but life does go on. Think of your mother, cherish her memory, and the wisdom she gave you. Think of Torasin, and the lives he saved. Weep for their departure. But do not insult their memory by forgetting to use what they gave you."

To a keen observer, a watery sheen would be noticed around the mare's golden pools, a subtle filling of saline droplets forming along her eyelids as she spoke. "They gave you life, Aaron. Your mother birthed you, and Torasin rescued me from oblivion when mortal wounds threatened my body a handful of months ago." She explained, revealing a fact that had been kept hidden from most of the herd. "It would be a waste of their gifts to focus too long on that which upsets us."
background pattern by webstreats @ flickr.com

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

He was almost startled as Kimber suddenly joined him. Her gentle touch as she brushed along his side, and the normal playful tug of his mane was joined shortly by her voice as well. "When is life fair, Aaron? Was it fair that I never met my father? Was it fair that the dead took our home? Was it fair when Ophelia and Ktulu took away the Foothills?" "You losing your father was about as fair as the short months I had with my own. As for the dead... That was set in motion long before we were ever thought of... To much blood shed... Much like the darkness here... I fear not being able to protect them Kimber, should the shades arrive here." Here he paused, nuzzling her cheek. His eyes darkened as she spoke of Phi and Kutlu. "One day they will get what it coming to them. My only regret is not fighting for the first place we ever called home after Isilme." He looked into her eyes for a moment before looking way. He was to loyal to Mirage and the Qian to fight against those that had come from Dragon's Throat.

From a distance, Alanna whined softly feeling her bonded's emotions. She snuggled in closer to the sleeping girls. Meanwhile Kimber spoke again. Her words were true. He was not alone in this, but sometimes it sure felt that way. He had the herd to help him.... He sighed heavily. His ears swiveled as Mirage arrived as well. He knew it was her, for in the dark he could only really see her golden eyes and golden marking upon her neck. "Mirage" He spoke softly, embarrassed not that not only Kimber seen his fit, but their WeyrLeader had as well. He lowered his gaze to the ground listening as the ebon DragonHeart spoke. Her words surprised him however.... It was ok? It was ok to feel the way he did? He looked up, noticing that the same watery sheen that was in his own eyes were in her's as well.

He looked at her, startled when she spoke of Torasin saving her life just a few mere months ago... It made sense now.. The birth of her twins... surely the birth had been rough on her. But they had almost lost her? He looked to Kimber, knowing this was a secret they would keep just as Torasin had. At last he spoke the one thing he was worried about most of all. "It's not fair the girls have to grow up so fast... Like I did... Like we did" His gaze fell back to Kimber. Running from the shades had changed them all. The last thing he wanted was the girls who were born here after all of that, to have their innocence taken away.

@[Kimber] @[Mirage] (posting order is a lie)

Et Spiritus Sancti

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Hidden Account
An ear tilted to listen as he spoke, and it was all the young mare could do to not sigh in exasperation. Aaron was so serious all the time now, it made her miss the day they'd played in the river, not all so very long ago. But she didn't pull away when he reached to brush his muzzle against her cheek, instead she leaned into him, bending her head back to nip at his mane again.

Her distracted position kept her from noticing Mirage's approach, but the quiet murmur of the Weyrleader's name from Aaron's throat had the young grulla looking around. Her blue eyes caught upon the soft glimmer of gold from the elder mare's eyes and neck, making it easier to focus on the other mare that blended so easily into the darkness otherwise. The simple acknowledgement and praise for her words had Kimber arching her neck slightly, pleased to have Mirage notice her in such a way. But it was a fleeting moment of quiet pride, abandoned in order to press her muzzle against her friend's neck in silent support.

When Mirage leaned closer, reaching out to touch Aaron, then her, Kimber returned the gesture with a fleeting smile. It was hard not to notice the difference in the Dragonheart today, tonight, whichever it really was. It seemed that now was a time for honest emotions shared amidst friends in mutual support, and the words shared in advice were greatly appreciated, the small secrets revealed cherished for the trust they showed. Her gaze flitted back, catching the painted stallion's return glance in the wake of his revealing of his truest worries. An impish little smile curved her lips. "You don't have to grow up if you don't want to. You only grow up when you really want to, because even in hard times, its not that hard to find the good things." He should know as much, knowing her. She had held on to youthful enthusiasm and simple joys long after her counterparts had abandoned them to take on responsibilities they felt they had to take. Even when she'd begun to take on responsibilities of her own, she refused to let them change her too dramatically. So she had changed, she supposed, but not because times had made her, but because she'd wanted to.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mare observed quietly, the way in which the two interacted. Did they even realise the easy harmony they shared? The comradeship, the bond that united them through their shared histories and undoubtedly their shared futures? It brought hope to the mare's heart, that even with the deaths that picked away at their home, they would continue on, together, creating new life and passing the message on. Yes, Aaron's struggled to come to grips with his new life's circumstances, but he would work through it Mirage could see that, especially with Kimber nearby. The mare's golden pools shifted to view the young maiden with hidden curiosity, drinking in the frame of Smoke, the resilient and stubborn nature that seemed to survive despite all the odds against her. She saw Gunslinger in her too, the stubborn fool of a stallion whom Mirage herself had taking a liking to, at the time, in her younger days… How different life could have been had she forsaken her lonesome life as a wanderer and joined his herd.

A small smile curved her lips at Kimber's words, and the mare could only nod a single, simple nod in agreement. "Though they are gone, we are all still here, and though we may hurt, we will continue to survive, to thrive, to live and to provide for our young. You don't have to do this alone, Aaron - already I can see, even if you cannot, that you are not alone. We'll all work together to ensure our young have time to be just that - young." As she spoke, she intended to include all the young of the Edge - her daughters, Aaron's sisters, Desterier's offspring - all of them, who all seemed to possess a want to grow up so fast. "You are naturally strong, Aaron, stronger than you feel." I know because everyone always says the same thing about me. Here, the DragonHeart's voice faded as she quirked her gaze upwards, blinking back the tears that inevitably pooled about the rim of her eyelids at the thought of Torasin and Solstice's deaths. She did not return them to the gathered, slowly she detached herself from them - she wanted to let them continue on and heal without her.

We all had different ways of coping, and Mirage's was a mixture of offering her presence to those situations where she thought it might have a positive impact, and otherwise staying amongst her shadows. Though she had just reached out to these two, she could see that her presence wasn't really needed, though perhaps it had been useful. The shadowmare lingered, albeit somewhat distantly, pausing her legs that itched for movement, until the situation proved beyond a doubt that she was no longer needed here.
background pattern by webstreats @ flickr.com

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

Aaron sighed, his gaze falling back to the direction his sisters slept. "Already I fear it's to late. Azale, before the darkness... She was questing for magic from the Goddess of the Moon, magic that if used strong enough could kill." He paused. "Sakura too, has might ambitions. Ones that seem to make her grow up all to fast. Takara, is the only one who seemed content to remain a child. I wish I could give them all their childhood back..." He looked back to the ground before speaking calmly. "If I had just been quicker, or not sent Alanna to get her... maybe.... Maybe mother would still be here."

Finally he voiced what had been keeping the young stud up at night since his mother's death. If he had only run there faster. If he had only gone up there with Alanna, not stayed at the bottom. He pulled away from Kimber's touch, while Alanna whimpered softly in the distance. He moved off a few steps, trying to deal with the fact he felt like he had allowed his mother to die. Sure, he had not been the one to use magic to drug her and have his hellhound rip out her throat... But he might as well for all the help he had been. He held his head low, trying to hide the tears in his eyes. He had to be the strong one, he had to be the father figure now, the leader of his family... Yet why did he feel so weak?

Et Spiritus Sancti

Hidden Account
Dark ears tilted back as the young grulla gave an exasperated sigh. Her friend was too deep in his pity party to see reason, too wrapped up to see the other side of that coin of hope. With an irritated stamp of her left hind, Kimber stalked forward and around Aaron to stand in front of him, demanding that he look at her and acknowledge her.

"If you had run up there to save her? Aaron, wasn't he the one to give you those scars? He could have easily killed you too. And then what? Your sisters would have lost their mother and their brother. Stop worrying about the ifs and might have beens. It's the past, unchangeable. There's nothing you can do about it now except be there for them. Be a good example, don't be too hard on them. Push them in the right direction and be a shoulder for them to cry on when they need it."

On impulse she stepped forward, muzzle reaching to touch his own. Then she took another step forward, and another, until her chest bumped against the broader expanse of his own and she could hook her neck forward and rest her chin upon his withers. "Its hard. It'll probably be harder. But you don't have to shoulder this alone, and never will have to." A thought sparked a breathless giggle. "Mother will likely 'adopt' at least one of you. She does that, you know."