the Rift

[OPEN] the shadows on my wall don't sleep...

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

There was no wind. There was no rain. There was no sun. There was only darkness and a bitter cold that slowly seeped into the bones. The thickness of the winter coat no longer mattered. The shadows didn't care about size or age, health or durability. They penetrated every body equally, stiffened limbs and sent joints aching until only movement seemed to thaw out the blood enough to keep it flowing. Without the sun to warm the air even the desert oasis had begun to freeze over. Sharp shards cut painful scratches in the sensitive muzzle as she tried to drink, chilled her already frozen stomach and lent an illusion of fullness that only too quickly faded, leaving behind an even deeper sensation of hunger.

It didn't matter where she was anymore. The pillar of hope that burned eternally in the desert gave only light and some small amount of warmth, but it would be impossible to remain by it all the time. There was no food to find out there, no water and precious little safety - if any place at all could be considered safe anymore. Oh, the crow knew that the warriors of the herd was alert and doing their best to patrol the borders, but in this darkness anyone would be able to slip past a guard with a bit of caution and cunning.

Shivering as liquid ice slowly sunk into the depths of her gut the short mare raised the head from the black waters of the Oasis and padded away from the shore to lean against the red tree that stood like a black tower against the grayish sky. The light of the Divine Flame barely reached here and shrouded the desert plains in an eternal dusk where only shadows and the memory of light thrived. Dying grass crunched softly beneath hard hooves, muffled by the sand and yet appearing to echo in the hovering silence that threatened to make her permanently deaf.

A sigh set velvety nostrils trembling as the little raven took the weight off her hooves, wings hanging limp from the shoulders and head held low. Heavy eyelids fell down over lavender eyes; there was nothing to see anyway. Only mile upon mile of deserted lands, darkness and gloom.

No one laughed anymore. It felt blasphemous, as if the darkness would take offense by any sign of mirth... not that there were reasons to laugh nowadays. Hunger, cold, the constant threat of the northerners..

"..and why did I come here again?" she sighed to herself, wincing with backstroked ears over how loud the soft murmur had sounded.

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Days trickled by at a snail’s pace; or so I guessed. It was impossible to tell between sunrise and sunset; the blackness never changed, never grew darker and never got lighter. A whispering wind would blow, likely from the pillar that had become our only hope. If it was possible to find a silver lining in this situation, I had yet to find it; yet, it was important to appear hopeful, certain and strong—if only for the company of those more afraid. When alone, I could release that facade of caution and simply shiver against the chilling cold that clung tightly to every corner.

Sunken eyes scanned where the horizon was supposed to be, they had lost their luster over the passing of time. Shadow lite wings rested tightly against my barrel, a small measure of comfort when shielding from cool weather. There was small amounts of vegetation growing along where the firelight shinned, but it was barely enough to sustain our herd; and certainly not enough for strengthening our warriors. I frowned and moved along, slowly so to conserve energy for a time that it might be needed.

Nearby were the faces of my family, hidden in shadow; some with hungry muzzles looking for vegetation near the bankside. I watched them with bitter sadness, knowing that they were slowly starting to fade away…just as I was. Quietly a voice rose above the silence, “…and why did I come here again?” It was so faint that my sensitive ears only made out a word here and there—but her tone understood all too well and I recognized its soft vibrancy from the meeting. I turned toward to regard the outline that had voiced aloud, “Do you believe they will return?”
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Chan

Shadow

Dark lids cracked open a smidgen as the silence shattered once more, broken this time by the painted stallion she had seen at the meeting. The darkness appeared to thicken as she looked up and glanced in his direction, words obviously replying to her listless sentence; she allowed it to and spent the long drawn pause in search for his name. It had been something grand, something that belonged under a brilliant sun where the gold on his coat could glimmer and shine and play upon the heavy metal collar that weighed around that muscular neck. Something fit for a general with all the trust of the leaders and all the heavy responsibility to carry on two-toned shoulders...

Ah, yes. Midas. Hectors colleague and, she supposed, her superior too.

The shadow reluctantly retracted the wings and settled them more neatly against the shoulders, neck tossing in a manner that could only be considered a shrug.

"Who knows" she replied with tired voice, understanding without words who the soldier referred to - they were on everyones lips these days. "This place is too strange for me to understand. I never believed in gods to begin with.. not sure I do still. But apparently they're needed, and from what I saw out there on the meadow they left reluctantly."

"Yes, I think they will come back. But when? What is a mortal lifetime for a god. For all I know they might as well wait until we're all dead and rotten, so they can start over from scratch."

Eyes closed again tiredly as her ears turned forward, searching for what her eyes strained to see; the location of his bulk, the awareness of his presence, the inaudible sound of blood and muscle moving beneath the smooth coat. She didn't have to see him to hear what he said, didn't have to be close to discuss a subject that had been turned over and over in her mind, in the quiet conversations of others around her, in pained tones whimpered at the deepest sleep. The shadow didn't move, but nonetheless her focus was directed towards Midas, quietly trying to figure out why he had brought up this subject of all there were to talk about. Did he try to comfort, or was he seeking it for himself?

"What do you think, General" the voice inquired after a moment, betraying none of her musings as it slithered across the void to reach his ears; silken as the black feathers of her wings and exotic in its unusual rhythm. "Do you long for the return of your gods?"

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

One didn’t have to harbor perfect sight to know that she regarded me, raking over this dusty body and likely judging me as still sane enough for proper conversation. Or not. I tried not to concentrate on her heated stare, though who knew what they gauged me for; eventually the shadow that was her body shifted—wings fell neatly into place as was the birthright of our kind. “Who knows,” she said wearily, and my ebony lips cracked a smile as the night temptress spoke on, admitting that she knew little to nothing about our lands and even less about the gods. My own faith hadn’t been shaken, I knew my lord was still ever in existence and despite having lost all his gifts, our family remained loyal.

The shadow warrior echoed my own quiet thoughts on the matter, not so much of the dead, rotten and die part…but she was spot on for the rest. It made me wonder if everyone was starting to think the same, if we all lost hope—what was left. My body subconsciously shifted toward her, leaning and then taking a step as she asked about my ideals. I paused, considering. Finally an answer rose, “I long to feel the sun again Ma’lady, see its rays behind closed lids…and sense the power of earth coursing through this body,” my voice came as a quiet murmur, velvet soft, “So yes…I desire their return; as is wisdom—for our world surely will wither without them.” It wasn’t just us that relied upon immortal power for strength and health—it was every living creature; every creature that walked, crawled, and flew. Without light they would all die. Down to the worms that ate decomposed plants, first the predators would rise and kill—then when they ran out of easy food…I frowned, “You are new to this land?”
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

She couldn't argue with his views. While her faith towards these divine rulers was questionable at best she couldn't deny that she missed the sun. The warmth against the skin, the bright lights and the soft shadows it created, and the peace of the cool darkness that came when it set, lit by moon and stars. How much longer would they be able to stand this long nothingness? Without time, without food, with barely any stimulation for the senses the raven was starting to doubt her own existence. Remembering what she lived for had grown harder and harder and more often she found herself dwelling on the sadness of the past.

A soft hum acknowledged the truth of the generals words, but the way she was addressed made the stocky mare shift uncomfortably where she stood. Lady? She really hoped he didn't take her for one...
"I'm no lady, so you don't need to be so polite" she mumbled and peeked a quick glance at him from under the thick and ragged forelock. "Name's Skuggi or Shadow, whichever you prefer; the meaning's the same either way. And yes, I'm new. Arrived a short time before the Darkening, invited to stay by Cirrus. Gotta say, I'm starting to question my decision..."

A wry grin stretched across the maw, the first hint of a smile she had shown in days. It was unexpectedly nice to have company. Used to take care of herself as she was, independent by nature and unaccustomed to the constant presence of other horses, the inky crow had kept mostly to herself since she came to the Throat. Crowds made her nervous and with the multitude of faces it was hard to remember everyone; she'd rather not say anything at all than make herself look stupid by calling people by the wrong name.

"Is Helovia always this unpredictable?" she resumed and cracked an eye open for a curious glance towards the painted soldier. "I've herd of gods and seen magic, and many of the horses I've met so far has been accompanied by the strangest creatures... Wolf-like beasts, specters and even a young boy with a red bear with a tail on his head. How come this place is so different from the rest of the lands I've roamed?"

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

I was suddenly reminded of Kri through this woman, more so when she added firmly, “I’m no lady, so you don’t need to be so polite.” An easy grin emerged, well placed and within the limits of humor for the first time in what felt like a long time, “Very well, Skuggi,” I choose the first name she gave and resisted the urge to say, ‘Ma’lady Skuggi,’ just as our leader would have scowled at me for calling her by pointless titles, so would have this sister warrior for making a jest. In the next breath my own namesake came out, “I’m Midas.”Still smiling I listened as she spoke on—speaking of Cirrus and inner doubts about our home.

It wasn’t worth arguing; the Throat certainly wasn’t at its best right now. Living in this night certainly didn’t do recruiting any favors—what could I say favorably about our territory? Other than that everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting for either the sun or their own death. “Is Helovia always this unpredictable?” It was true that this was highly unusual and perhaps the strangest thing I had ever seen in my short lifetime, before I could draw breath for words she went into another sentence. Apparently the land from whist she hailed was different from ours, “Aye, Helovia is unpredictable in its variety of people—the elements usually stay within balance….”

Voice broke off and my gaze trailed toward the funnel of fire, frowning I added, “This is highly unusual…our gods made this realm, they breathed life into before my father’s time and his father’s time.” A troubled sigh came, and the frown I wore remained while answering her next question, “You speak of companions. Soul creatures that bond to our minds through an ancient magic—I’ve been told that one can only bond once and to lose a companion is like having your very soul split in half.” Muzzle turned toward the lass fully and I regarded her indifferently, “To answer your question, I know little of other lands. I was born in this desert.”

with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

An ear ticked forward in interest as the general answered her, but found the explanation unsatisfactory. A flick of a tail was followed by stirring motion, the mare straightened up and eased her stiff limbs into a slow walk that brought her closer to the painted warrior, determination gleaming in the weary eyes.

"Maybe it is the gods then" she mused and came to a halt next to the other, leaving the space of a wingspan between them, enough so that it wouldn't be uncomfortably close and yet close enough not to strain the voice. "I've been roaming my entire life, you know" she confided, "flying from land to land, between north and south so many times that I couldn't remember where I was born for anything in the world. The horses I've met on the way have been much like myself and my parents; nomads, rovers, godless and homeless - if owning the world makes one without a home, that is."

She tucked her wings closer to the slender body, huddling slightly in the bitter cold in an attempt at keeping the chill off the skin. "I never heard of gods before.. not beyond fairy tales mom used to tell, from where she lived as a foal. Magic was a tale too, and you wouldn't believe my shock when I discovered that it's commonplace here. I thought they were all mad when they started talking about Lords and powers and soul bonds..." She shook her head sceptically, still unwilling to believe in any of it despite everything she had seen so far.

"Is it really that common?" she asked and gave Midas a curious look, apparently feeling far more talkative than she'd looked. "Magic, I mean. On Cirrus it sounded like every horse and their uncle has it, and that the gods hand it out like candy to children..." The thought made her gut tickle in curiosity and intrigue. If anyone could get it, did that mean she could too? The thought both scared and enthused her, to the point where a small greedy smile spread over her maw, unhidden and as obvious as the lack of sun in the sky.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

She edged closer, and I welcomed the feel of another’s heat close by. As a personable type I felt that our herd had become distant; everyone kept to themselves. Shuggi went a little deeper into her story, explaining that her guardians had been nomads—a thing that my great grandmother had possibly been. Before finding a place in the desert my family had been travelers only a hoof-full of generations ago, they went from place to place; never settling in one location for long. Even now, my heart still had a youthful yearning for travel—it sang in a Pegasus’s blood. Perhaps it was because of our rich nomadic history.

“You wouldn’t believe my shock…” I smiled a little wider, though as always it wasn’t an unkind beam that sought to tease or jest her ignorance. It was certainly believable that our cultures had surprised the feathers off her back. Placing myself in Shuggi’s way of thinking, it wasn’t so strange that a visitor from another land would find magic highly unusual. Magic seemed to seep into the water and its creatures—this territory was still very young when compared to others. Or so I’ve been told.

“Is it really that common? Magic, I mean.”

My gaze softens, thoughtfully I reply, “Magic is everywhere, in the land, the food and water,” knowing that her question desired more of a response I continued, “It is more common for magic to awaken in us, rather than the gods giving us powers through the completion of quests.” She wouldn’t understand totally until a silver thread of power actually started taking its first breath within that soul, “Not everyone develops power, some live perfectly ordinary lives without special abilities.” Quietly I added, “Mayhap one day, you will develop an ability of your own.”
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

"Oh.. " the little mare murmured, disappointment faint but decidedly there in her voice as she tried to fit her mind around the elusive nature of the magic. "That means that either you have it or you don't, then. I'd have hoped... well, I guess it doesn't matter. But what about these companions then? How do you find them, is that coincidence too?" Rounded ears immediately turned forward again, the expression of the shadow at once enthusiastic again. There was so much she didn't know that the horses around her seemed to take for granted, so many details and unwritten rules that they didn't think would need explaining but that made her feel a bit left out. So far Skuggi had done a good job in assimilating into the herd, but there was no doubt that she still was a newcomer, only just knowledgeable enough to get by in this area.

There was no denying that she had a particular interest in magic, however. The miracle of healing injuries in just a few heartbeats, the power to tame the wind and make animals obey your commands, they were just small examples of the wonders she had been allowed to witness. Conveniently the young mare chose to forget that magic also was the cause of this long darkness; she chose to remain blind to the very real threat it posed to not only her safety but also that of the ones around. It was the kind of reckless childish enthusiasm that made foals dive off cliffs with the daredevil belief that the wings would carry them if they just had enough time to get used to the wind, that made young stallions challenge mountain lions. The risks was a mere afterthought, pain a result of ones personal lack of skill - all that mattered was the thrill of the moment that set the heart pumping.

It was with curious enthusiasm the raven eyed the painted general, her gruff attitude melting for each second to reveal a generous, open-minded girl who simply had seen too much of the darker sides of life. While not mindlessly trusting of the taller stallion, the amethysts that gleamed in the faint light of the Seer's Fire remained clear and unguarded none the less as they imprinted his coloring and built into her mind - stopping, only as they touched upon the heavy collar that rested around his neck.

"What is that?" she asked curiously and nodded towards the metallic contraption, nose twitching from a desire to reach out an touch it. It looked uncomfortable to have something like that clamping down around the neck, the muscles of her own arch swelled at the mere thought of the restraint; feathers of the wings swelled and ruffled, making her unfurl them and give the stale winter air a quick beating to release the tension felt.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“Oh,” she said, and I slipped into silence; opening the floor for whatever would come next, “That means that either you have it or you don’t,” it was hard to hold my tongue and not interrupt like a youthful idiot might. ‘Even elders can develop power,’ that inner voice wanted to counter, assuring that there was no need for disappointment. Instead I held back any thoughtless words, choosing instead to merely grin at her with a sheepish expression that spoke volumes. It was hard to boast magical talents in front of those that didn’t have any, and something as rare as power wasn’t eye candy for most citizens. “I’d have hoped…well. I guess it doesn’t matter.” Oh, but it did. Both ears perked a little higher and my brows rose a notch, she thought to little of her clan brother to think that I would let such a comment slide so easily by. Noted, we would surly come back to her ponderings in a later moment.

“But what about these companions then? How do you find them, is that coincidence too?”

Another question, deserving of another answer—yet I felt that her last question wasn’t fully finished. A fault of my inability to explain being the likely problem. Rolling saliva across my tongue, I wet my lips and answered as honestly as one might, “Soul bonds are formed by fate, no two creatures link their minds in the same way—it is unique to that individual.” Swallowing I glanced away, knowing that she might be further disappointed. Staring off into the darkness for a moment gave me a chance to gather thoughts for forming my next sentence in a way that wouldn’t sound forward, “If I might add Skuggi….you tend to find what is most strived for, be it magic or creature. Those that desire power often train with those that already have the ability they convent; in turn those powerless ones usually develop their talents later on.”

Pausing, I allow my cranium to turn back simply out of the curiosity that perhaps my answer would suffice a stirring of hope, “My middle son has yet to develop magic, but the Lord of Earth blessed him with a companion because that was what his heart desired….if you seek, chances are good that you will find.”

She had grown quiet again, her head nodded once toward me and shaded lashes appeared to fall toward the crest lashed around my shoulders. Though it was almost impossible to tell, I could hear the deep exhale and sense how her nostrils just flared from such a breath, “What is that?” Guessing what she meant I replied, “This is a replica of my father’s armor, spun into existence by the Lord of Earth. His blessing makes it lighter than air in this shape, and comfortable due to a formfitting spell he placed on it.” Chin fell forward, and muzzle drifted low to brush across the golden gem that resided within, “It is dead without him here….”
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

Was that curiosity that glittered in the eyes of the General as she veered off from the words that had teased upon her tongue? His interest in her thoughts was almost as curious as the explanations he offered to her persistent questions, and honestly the raven felt flattered by it. Compared to the tall, strong and decidedly handsome stallion she was a nobody, a mere newcomer who knew nothing of the world and even less about the herd - that one such as he would be willing to stand there and take time from his duties to play twenty questions with a shadow was both kind and daunting.

Never the less, it didn't stop her from spilling the words that crowded her tongue. There was so much to learn here, so many things she wished to know, and Midas - being a native and prominent figure of the herd - seemed the perfect person to inch knowledge from. Skuggi rewarded his answers with a bright smile, his comment about finding what one desired having definitely cheered her up once more. "Does that mean one could get anything, if it's just wished for long and hard enough? It seems so easy, maybe almost too easy. Doesn't it ever come with a cost, this magic?"

Dark ears perked upon the mention of a son, and with a shift of the weight that set a round yet skinny rump slanting sharply to one side the little pegasus settled down more comfortably, decidedly enjoying her company.
"You have a family? That's nice... Do they live within the herd?" There was a barely noticeable hint of envy to her words, a bitter aftertaste caused by the memory of what she herself had lost. Shadow always did her best not to bother others with her own sorrows, but that didn't mean that she never felt down. The loss of her parents was still so fresh, the pain had yet to become old. Would she ever learn to live with it? The horses of the Throat was slowly filling the hole left in her heart, but new faces would never be able to fully make up for the loved ones she would never see again.

She suppressed a sigh and listened as Midas explained about the collar, eyes following as he gestured towards it and touched upon a glittering rock at the center of the piece. "Lord of Earth.." she mumbled, thoughtful and almost absent-minded. "Cirrus mentioned a Lord of Sun... How many gods are there? I mean, I saw some figures at the darkening that I suppose must have been the gods, but was that all of them, and who were the others..?" The thought of deities walking on the earth and looking like someone's uncle still didn't sit right with her. That she would have actually seen them with her own eyes was even more incredible, something that surely should have been a dream. And yet here they were, standing in the shadow of their disappearance - and there was no doubt that something on a divine level would have had to cause it.

It was much to consider, so very much for a lost little crow, and with a soft snort the girl lowered the head to rub her nose tiredly against a foreleg. If she didn't have a headache after this conversation had ended, she'd never get one.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“Doesn’t it ever come with a cost, this magic?”

I shrugged and shared her smile, enjoying this moment of conversation perhaps more than she was enjoying the chance to learn more of our culture. No, I corrected inwardly, her culture—if she was to be part of this family; the pages of history would write new tales. “Everything comes at a cost, magic strains the soul of those that hold it—but the price is different for everyone.” Usually the cost of developed magic, was the hardship that came from harnessing the power for use, “Most of the time a price is paid through your energy, magic takes concentration, practice and a large amount of mental endurance.” For power that was gifted from gods, the price was different. Usually it was handed out as a reward for completing a job—or simply for being granted favor, “Gods will grant magic to mortals, which means that you don’t have to wait for the power to develop naturally. Their gifts are usually given as a reward for the completion of quests.”

My powers had developed naturally; awakening one by one through either deeds or mythical realization. “You have a family? Do they live within the herd?” chiseled face remains pleasant, but just as she hid her bitterness, so did I in some measure, “Nay, not all of them. My mate lives in the North, and our youngest daughter and eldest son live with her.” There was little need to mention that Cera and Hototo were both adopted, Cera directly adopted and Hototo a stepson. Blood didn’t matter when it came down to the fine strings of family. “Cirrus mentioned a Lord of Sun…How many gods are there?”

A question easily answered, I brightened naturally now that the conversation had turned from our previous topic and said, “There are three, though I’ve heard rumors of a fourth. Sun, Earth, Moon, and just recently I’ve heard of a Time Lord coming to Helovia.” I thought back to a snowy day nearly a year ago, when I had met a rather unusual stallion in the frosty north; little did I know that my company had been hosted by the God of Time. “It is the Sun which keeps watch over this land, and it is to him that many of our herd pay tribute.”
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

A sigh slipped unwanted from trembling nostrils, elated and content and happy all at once. The small smile that had settled upon her shadowed lips was bright and grateful as it radiated towards the painted hestrinn, a mere expression of the attention she payed him.

Such a patience. How many horses did she know that was willing to stand there and answer question after random question, always with a willing smile? Well, Hector of course, and maybe Cera too, the young colt she had met just after the Darkening. And Fawkes, the blue-coated unicorn from the North. Actually, most of the stallions she had come across thus far had been incredibly mild of temper - but that was beside the point. More important was that she felt a growing sense of gratitude and respect towards the smiling general and it kept her from prying deeper into a subject that apparently dampened his spirit as much as it did hers. She willingly veered off the topic of family and told herself to be content with what she'd managed to learn; instead the inky raven returned to the subject of gods and magic, since it appeared least troublesome to discuss.

"Do you have magic?" she asked with a childishly eager look, hoping against hope that he wouldn't tire of her sudden jumps between topics. All bounds had loosened from her tongue by now, and she simply let the thoughts out as they came to her - what was the point of being shy if directness would cure her curiosity faster? "What kind is it, what kinds of magic are there? Cirrus healed me once, just as I came here, and then she did something funny with the weather... I think it was her, at least. And she carried a wolf-looking thing on her back, can you believe! I suppose that was her companion then... Do you have one of those too?"

The little mare had a hard time staying still from the excitement that prickled her limbs like tiny tickling needles. For the first time in.. she didn't know how long, she felt energy rush through the body as if she'd be able to run a mile or fly from the red rocks to the very ocean in one go. Of course she'd better not if she was to survive until spring came, but it felt so incredibly good to be alive just then. There was no telling how long it would last, but she was intent on making the most of the moment...

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

If only everyone shared this vigor for learning, for innocent exploration. Maybe our world would be a different place, if it was different then perhaps Helovia wouldn’t have fallen into hard times--“Do you have magic?” she asked with the eagerness of a foal begging their da for one more sunset story before bed. I smiled a little wider and nodded agreeably, “Aye, I do.” Before anything more could be added, that first question was followed by another and another, “What kind is it, what kinds of magic are there?”

It was easy to think that her barrage of curiosity would eventually annoy me, but rather it intrigued my mind to think about another landscapes. What had her homeland been like without its magic? What were its customs and rituals?

Skuggi mentioned Cirrus, and the name bounced back and forth inside my frontal lobe before settling into some dark spot meant for sorting through later. I had heard that name before, though I couldn’t place who had said it or where. She topped her statements with yet another question, “Do you have one of those too?” Fina. My firebird wasn’t one for company, and certainly not polite company. Testing the mental waters between us I whispered to her silently, “Care to come say hello?” she wasn’t far off—likely tailing Cera around Dragons Throat, “Coming...” She replied in a reasonably light tone (a mood that had become increasingly rare.)

While Fina winged her way over I started with Skuggi’s first question, “My magic steams from Earth and Sun, I can bend sand and shift the plates of earth,” something like power, was best seen rather than described. You just couldn’t get the same effect through words. Out of all the threads that spun themselves within this soul, sand moving was the most stable. Concentrating on granules beneath my feet, I grabbed a hoof-full and made it rise from the floor—levitating the mass in an unrecognizable shape that was about the size of a coconut. It shivered to about eyelevel, shimmering and sparkling as my element began to come forward.

The golden blob lingered for only a second. Then fell back to the dirt it had sprung, I couldn’t hold it for longer than a few moments—this darkness drained my energy at a rapid rate and control was easily lost. Simple sand shifting had been easy before the sun fell, now…. I smiled apologetically, “Pardon Skuggi, my powers have been significantly weakened by these unprecedented occurrence.” Taking a deep breath I went on to answer her other questions.

“Just as there are four gods, there is certain elements that all power will steam from. For example, Earth controls everything from the growth of plant life, mineral manipulation and some healing. Sun, usually specializes itself with fire and other light based powers.” Onni had developed a supernatural radiant for healing, obviously sourcing itself from the blazing sun. “Moon, gives astral powers—I’ve seen one with the ability to harness ethereal stars and fashion them into the shape of animals.” I knew little to nothing about Time, nor any magic associated with it. A certain orange bird flew in, her raptor like cry resounding. She landed across my spine, her beak swiveling eyes to catch my company with mild interest, "Skuggi, meet Fina. Fina, Skuggi." Fina hissed and shook her feathers before settling.

with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

Her smile managed to broaden even more as he inclined the graceful head into a yes, but as the ground before her hooves suddenly started to move the expression ran away from her face even faster than an otter down an icy slope. “My magic steams from Earth and Sun, I can bend sand and shift the plates of earth,” she heard him say, but the words sounded like they were coming from far, far away, muffled and faint. All the clearer were the granules of sand that soundlessly, effortlessly rose from the ground, completely resistant to the cold northern wind that chilled her hocks. Widening eyes followed them transfixed until they came to a halt, the little mare frozen into place, stiff as a statue... Red dust began to change, its gleam deepening in the faint glow from the Seer's Fire until granite turned to purest gold, one grain at a time.

Only when the glittering, shimmering mass fell back to the ground again did she remember to breathe. An explosive gasp left the raven, followed by a deep breath that send her coughing and hacking as it got stuck in the wrong pipe. There was no hiding the tremble of her limbs as eyes traveled back and forth between Midas and his.. well, creation, part exalted - and part terrified.

"Amazing" she breathed and turned to stare at the paint, eyes glittering with unhidden emotions. "How.. why.. Is it hard? It looked hard..."

Did she look stupid as she nodded when he told her about the gods? Shadow certainly felt it, especially as a large golden bird came flying from the nothingness that was the sky, so magnificent that the mere sight of it made her want to shed tears. How could the eyes of a bird make her feel so small, so insignificant?

"Hello Fina. I'm Shadow... Midas, she's so beautiful!" Was it humility, the slight hitch that clogged her voice and made it tremble? There certainly was awe that reflected in the eyes of the little wingling as she admired the phoenix, but there was also something else. A... longing, as if she had just realized something that had never occurred to her before, or found the answer to a question she never wondered about.

"I wish I were like you" she eventually sighed, her small frame sinking a smidgen as a heavy sigh that wasn't so much jealous as it was admiring. "I mean, you know this place. You have family and friends, customs and traditions and magic.. and you have Fina, I guess that is more special than anything. As for me..." she trailed off, throwing a glance over the shoulder to her dark frame. Compared to the dazzling general she truly looked a shadow. Small and dark and plain, with no family left, no friends and nothing that tied her the the herd except the kindness of others. She didn't say it, but her thoughts were easy enough to follow as she turned back and made a tiny shrug, as though intent on giving up.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

She seemed pleased with my simple act, thankfully not disappointed in the least. Or, not that I could tell. “Amazing.” I grinned sheepishly, it had never seemed like such a big deal before. Things changed when you weren’t born watching others do wondrous things with their powers, “How…why.. Is it hard? It looked hard…” One golden forehoof absentmindedly brushed the pile that had fallen back into our earthy womb, those granules slowly turned from sparkling yellow to pale red. “It didn’t used to be so….strained,” I admitted with a soft sigh, “Before the sun fell I could call upon my powers to create a sandstorm, or even craft gold…” Frustrating, it was so frustrating to have been able to harness my powers in a useful way, and suddenly—it was all taken away.

Fina had been calculating Shadow with an exacting gaze that made me think that for once my bonded might actually get along with someone other than me and Cera. “Hello Fina. I’m Shadow…” Surprisingly, instead of hissing as she usually did in response to other company; she twittered, though not very well. It was a high pitched chirpy sound that might be unpleasant to a dogs ears, “She’s so beautiful.” Boastful by design, it wasn’t hard to spot the smug outward expression that had suddenly caused her spine to straighten and feathers to suddenly puff out. Softly I replied, “Thank you, she thanks you as well,” humor flicked lips into a wider smile, and a spark of laughter flared in my bottomless pools, “Though I should caution.” My voice dropped to a mock whisper and I leaned a little closer to Skuggi, adding toward the act of giving Fina a hard time, “Don’t let her hear you say that very much; she already has to large an ego, any bigger and I fear that she might burst!”

Her talons tightened their grip until they pricked past fur into flesh, she wasn’t really angry through; because we both knew that what I said was true. “I wish I were like you.” Why? Surprised by this sudden confession my brows started to furrow in confusion; before I could voice concern an explanation came. Ah, I thought, it was understood now. She had no roots here. “Give it time,” I replied, “you are already learning about our tradition and customs, soon if you desire you will have a family—even magic.” Didn’t she realize that all this came at a cost, a price? It had to be paid, one way or another. For me it was time, I paid more every day, time away from Cera, and Ktulu. “Will you share a little about your homeland?”
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

A soft laugh whispered from her throat as Midas jested, a kind and jingling sound like water beneath ice and dew falling onto mossy rocks. It was hard to take the eyes off the golden bird, and as it didn't seem to mind the shameless admiration the shadow offered the little mare simply kept studying it as she listened to the stallion. Her smile faded slightly as he mentioned the weakening of the magic, eyes turning distant as she tried to imagine what it must feel like. As if the winds suddenly didn't have the strength to carry her weight, leaving her forced to gallop twice as long in order to reach half the height. Was it because the gods weren't there? If magic came from them like the light of the sun and the stars and moon did, it would explain why magic was weakened or even disappeared altogether.

Finally she tore her eyes away from Fina and turned the gaze back to the face of the painted warrior, a faint sigh slipping from the nostrils as he tried to soothe her.
"I'm not sure about the family part" she mumbled with a wry twist of the mouth. "I've seen both the best and the worst sides of love... I wouldn't want to expose myself to something as cruel." The raven turned her head away and stirred, tiny hooves shuffling the dry, cold earth beneath her.

"I never had a homeland" she continued in reply to his question. "In all my life I've never stayed in one place for a full season. We were always traveling, always on our way to someplace else - me, my mother and my father. Sometimes we joined up with others of our kind, but never for long; most of the time it was us three and no one else. We flew all across the northern lands, from icy tundra through mountains so tall that they reached above the clouds, over vast oceans to tiny specs of islands where nothing lived but birds. I grew up navigating the night sky and following the sun from east to west, learning to fight bears and mountain cats... "

"It was very different from the life you live here" she noted, throwing a glance over at Midas. "We didn't have a herd, there were no ranks or rules or enemies... There were rogue stallions trying to possess my mother and me, wild mares playing to ensnare my father, bands of rovers and outlaws from great realms joining together to try and claim lands and become kings... Not that anyone can ever rule the wilderness. The seven winds flow as they please and the sun and moon sets and rises no matter who decides over mortal lives. Things like leadership and loyalty is nothing but a silly game out there - all that matters is the beating heart, the wind over the wings and the freedom to come and go as you please."

Would he understand what she was talking about? As the black crow watched the general she couldn't help but feel old, much older than her years suggested. It was strange to think that she had seen much more than this tall, noble general, that there were vast oceans of difference between them. Yes, she longed to be more like him, to have roots that held her down and drove away the wild longing to see the other side of the horizon that never seemed to leave her. Even here, now, as she stood and cried out her wish to be sister and family with all the horses in the Dragon's Throat there was still something calling to her, threatening to pull her away. Once a nomad, always a nomad her mothers voice whispered across her mind, and Shadow shuddered visibly as a cold wind swept by and tugged at her mane.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“I’m not sure about the family part,” it was a wonder we mortals tried to love at all. We never seemed to get it perfectly right—there were moments of exquisite beauty and delight, but mostly we walked a thin line tethered by fate. That line could snap at any moment, sending those of apprehensive hearts to the center most pit of hell. Many pranced willingly upon it at least once, the cautious ones never entered, others held an unexplainable resentment. Their bitterness would grow until they snapped said tether. Vowing never to chance their hearts again.

“I’ve seen both the best and worst sides of love…I wouldn’t want to expose myself to something as cruel,” I had a moment of stupidity and youthful pain; though physically nothing had changed. It twinge the heartstrings, for she spoke truth and likely from experience. Quietly my response came, though it was likely directed at myself more than anything. Let her decide its nature, “Everything comes at a price…” Even our hearts. Ktulu had asked me to pay a price, the offer was refused and now I reaped punishment. Kri requested a price, even Cera. “Sometimes…loving someone is often the most painful of things—for they have the power to shred your soul, absent flesh, in ways that nobody else can.”

How many nights did we hurt from being apart? Too many for counting. “I’ve never had a homeland.” Her confession doesn’t surprise me in the least, I listen quietly as she tells of visiting outside territories. Those places seemed worlds away. Our species had a foundation of being nomadic, almost gypsy like—my greater grand sir had been a nomad. The things she had seen, the changing landscapes—it gave me pause. It was my turn to look slightly doe eyed and eager, golden pools only fell to earth when I felt that perhaps I lingered too long.

There was a part of me that wished for nothing more than to be free of these chains, each link had been fashioned by my parents and finally myself. Responsibly, loyalty—they were the things that had been instilled while still inside my dam’s womb. Never though, would anyone be able to entirely extinguish the soul of ancient travelers. Freedom was a privilege, but even that had a cost.

I smiled a little and said kindly, “You’ll have to share more of these tales. I’m curious to learn about your battles with mountain lions and all the outlining lands—I’ve…” I break off and glance up at her, my forelock splits and shadows part of an already darkened gaze, “never been outside of Helovia. I want to visit other places before my time here ends.” Fina had kept quiet, possibly the quietest she had ever been when around company. For once the little firebird didn't clamor for more attention; in the end she piped up a small whistle. Shadow had said nothing of how a nomadic woman would end up in a rather clan culture area, so I turned the conversation back to her and asked “Are your parents still living?
with you, with you

Chan

Shadow

She nodded somberly at his comment, understanding all too well what he meant. Nothing it the world was free. Even simple things like grazing, drinking and sleeping came with risks and costs, from exposure to predators, toxic plants, drowning... Even breathing was dangerous, and for every day they lived they came one step closer to death. No wonder that the mortal life was so hectic then, when there were so much to be done in such a short span of time. Maybe some found the time better spent on chasing after the opposite sex, indulging in physical pleasure and procreating... But not Shadow. The raven wanted something more with her life, wished to leave behind something greater when her time was up. Family... meh. Not yet.

He seemed to listen intently as she continued, that Midas. She watched him at the periphery of her field of vision, noticing the wide-eyed excitement as she told him about her past. A hint of a smile passed like a breeze over the dark face, lavender eyes softening with understanding. He must be as eager to know of the outside world as she was to know the inner workings of Helovia. Their range of knowledge was vastly different and yet somehow.. they both appeared clueless, each in their own way.

"Haha sure, if you tell me what you would like to know" she chuckled as the paint asked for more stories. "In return you can teach me how to be of use to this herd... I didn't come here to be a wallflower." The small, finely chiseled head nodded assertively, sending the airy mane in cascades around the stout neck; there was no mistaking that while the crow was small, she also had fire.

But once the subject turned to her parents, the light in her eyes almost went out completely. Like flipping a switch or blowing out a candle, the mare stilled and grew silent, almost visibly withdrawing into herself.
"Father is, I think" she mumbled and looked away, expression unreadable. "Mother... passed away about a year ago."

Why was it so hard to talk about it? The sorrow would always be there, always be fresh; did it matter whether she told Midas the truth or not? But even though the words burned on the tongue she kept swallowing them down, half-panicked and nauseous at the thought of confessing her sin to this proud, strong and noble warrior. Surely he would frown at her if he learned of it. There was no doubt in her mind that the kind smile would fade, that the warmth of the dark eyes would turn to ice and shut her out... Shadow didn't want that. She wanted to remain where she was, wrapped in this cloak of comfort and camaraderie that staved off the chill of the night, that let her hunger abate and almost made it seem as though nothing at all was wrong with the world.

And so she remained quiet as heartbeats dragged on, beat by heavy beat - a silence tainted by a taste of guilt that never washed off the tongue.

image credits
table by whit

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Had I pressed my dagger into a wound that was still wet? There was little time for regret, only a confused glance that turned worrisome. From the moment I asked our conversation dimmed into something either sour or mournful. It was hard to tell by the way she stiffened. Craning my neck outwards a pace, I tried to peer at her in this forsaken light; wishing to see those pools that had been filled with a youthful glow. A vibrancy that reminded me of Cera— in those faint moments of joy that even the endless drawl couldn’t snuff out. She had turned away though. A response came just loud enough to be detectable; and the strain in her voice was well within reason considering the news she shared.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” I murmur, testily stretching out to brush across her muzzle should she allow it. Death was a hard ugly beast to overcome, and sometimes nearly impossible to manage. Quietly, though not with an intent to berate her obvious discomfort I add with compassion, “I lost my parents….in a battle some years ago—their memories are still fresh as if the news had come yesterday. A tear that isn’t easily mended.” It was simpler to relate when the listener had also experienced grief. Their teachings lived on though me; they were the very reason why Dragon’s Throat has the General it does. Breathing out, knowing that she was likely in reach to feel the warmth; I took a moment to enter some dark part of me that still lingered below a well barricaded exterior. My first son by name, not by blood. Norse. His face, those gentle yet sporadic pools still hold firm. Softly I said in a form of comfort, “You don’t appear to be the wallflower type. I’m sure this family will come to treasure your wisdom and skill.”
with you, with you