the Rift

[OPEN] Paint it Black

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo
honest is easy
fiction’s where genius lies

The trek back to the Aurora Basin went slowly in the dark. Roland felt awkward stumbling around with little light to ease their passage, watching the ground with an almost obsessive intent lest he trip or fall. It was exhausting, attempting to find his way around in the inky darkness, his eyes aching from the strain of trying to see, and so the journey was meticulous.

Finally they entered the familiar territory of the Aurora Basin, walled up with towering drifts of snow and jagged cliffs that reached their stony fingers towards the sky. Roland inhaled the fresh scent of ice and frigid air as they walked, basking in the glow cast from the illuminated trees- which were beginning to thin out as they entered the tundra- and wishing the sun’s warmth was in their place.

How long had it been since he had first set foot upon the Basin’s soil? A few seasons at the least; it felt so long ago, as if he had lived there his whole life, and yet the memory was so fresh in his mind that it might as well have been the day before. And what was it that had lured him there in the first place? Promises of power and supremacy over the other races? Surely not, for there wasn’t a racist bone to be found in his body. Perhaps he just missed the feelings of camaraderie and comfort he had grown so accustomed to during the war. It didn’t exactly feel like home to him still, and yet he endured it in order to remain with those he considered his family.

In the end, his decision to join their ranks had been rewarding. When he came to Helovia he had been looking for work of a sort, something to occupy himself. He had left Anorien with insults still ringing in his ears and had made a promise to himself; he would stop lying, for it did more harm than good. But it isn’t easy for an addict to abstain, and the strongest of habits aren’t abandoned without hassle. After a painfully short amount of time, and with little remorse, he had abandoned his vow and returned to swindling. It seemed to be his calling, what he resorted to every chance he got, so the sooner he accepted it the better.

Pulling himself from his reverie, he turned to Sia with a bright smile as they stood before the lake, unfrozen even in the winter. Light beamed from the Haruspex’s cave, bouncing off the snow and reflecting against the water’s surface, bright enough to allow them to see but offering no warmth. “Welcome home. I hope you don’t mind the cold,” he flashed her a small smile that in itself told that he was none too fond of it. “You’ll get used to it in time.

@[Sia]

image credits

Sia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

True silence.

It was never quite there; hindered by the wind, the rustle of leaves or the white noise of a thriving forest. Could never grasp a world truly free of every vibrating molecule; what would that feel like? From the subtle thump of their hooves, to the whirl of winds beating, berating the foliage, Sia only wish she knew. She thought she had, but after each and every encounter with death a beat would always interrupt the injection of fear and pain that came with it. As if to mock the living with a brutal reminder; life.

Her thoughts stalled as the hooves ahead of her stumbled. Eyes, refocusing, but not just quite; the topography was shifting, and she’d been clueless. For a subtle moment she fought against her instincts to avoid the Basin. The mountains on either side warned her of a dead end. The frigid air wasn’t a feature she could appreciate, or the distinct scent that silently crept from all directions.

Light seemed to splinter across the forests they entered, dull sources that would dance across their bodies in soft glows. She gave them a skeptical glance; wary of their presence the farther they covered territory. The Haruspex was something to behold, holding her eyes for several more seconds before she whipped her attention to the sound of his voice. All she could hear was that voice. And after a moment of gathering herself, oblivious of the context he had spoken in, her eyes danced across the lake’s surface as she began.

“I’m afraid I never will.” She briefly glanced up, and smiled before she shifted closer to the water’s edge. Her eyes, wavering and tired, watched her own reflection. “Has it… always been this way? Dark.” She frowned before a grin curled against her maw. “You’re quite graceful in the dark.”

The anxiety continued to churn inside. Made her limbs numb regardless of whether or not it was really the cold. Her thoughts felt slow in her brain, or perhaps too fast and muddled all together. At least she could still talk, and she was somehow grateful for that.

Glo

So Roland hadn’t exactly heeded Mauja’s warning to remain in the Basin while the darkness ran its course, though in the beginning he had intended to, but leaving the herd lands had turned out to be an interesting adventure, and not an entirely unwelcome one. He had brought home a new recruit, after all; his first, which seemed to be a milestone of sorts in his books. Though he preferred the Basin for its light, though diluted, and its familiarity, though waning in its interest, it was refreshing to have a change of scenery and temperature. Sia seemed to be an amiable travel companion, and for once he found he had nothing to complain about.

She also was a fine conversationalist, and he was glad that he didn’t have to search for words to fill the silence. He listened to her talk as they entered the Basin and came to the lake side, content to focus on her voice to keep the shadows at bay. He smiled humorlessly, surprised at how much he could relate. In truth, Roland himself had never grown accustomed to the frigid temperatures and year round snow. The cold still chilled him to his very bones and, though he did his best to ignore it, the frosty winds still took their toll on him. His coat had lengthened in order to insulate the heat radiating from his core, but he wasn’t all too happy about that either. It gave him a rugged, unkempt look, and the shine to his fur had all but vanished.

Sia’s compliment caught him off guard- he wasn’t receiving many these days- and yet he still found himself grinning at her. Of all the things he considered himself to be, graceful was one trait that had never happened to cross his mind. “Am I?” He asked softly, coming to stand beside her at the water’s edge. “I suppose I’m used to light footing my way around.” He shrugged, watching their dark reflections against the rippling water. It hadn’t felt to him like much time had passed since that fateful morning when the sun refused to rise, but all the same it seemed an age ago. Perhaps he was getting used to it, even if wandering around blind never failed to irk him.

Turning away from the water, he let out a heavy sigh. “No, it hasn’t always been dark. In fact, this is a rather recent occurrence,” he gestured up at the dark sky with his muzzle, trying to puzzle out just how he should go about explaining it to Sia. “I didn’t witness it firsthand, but a friend told me a rift was opened in one of the southern meadows. The Gods fought against it for a time before all four were pulled into the void. After that, the moon and sun vanished from our skies, and these lights appeared in the herd lands to aid our sight.

There’s no telling when they’ll be back, if they return at all,” he added dismally, squinting as he looked through the rays of light slanting from the Haruspex’s cave. Generally pessimistic, Roland had his doubts about seeing the Gods again. Whatever had drawn them out of this realm was obviously no small power, so he wasn’t about to get his hopes up. It was better to anticipate the disappointment than to be caught off guard and heartbroken by it. “Does the darkness bother you?” He asked, looking back at the younger mare.

Roland wasn’t about to say anything, but he could tell that she was uneasy. Perhaps she was just nervous about coming to a new home, or maybe the darkness and cold was making her apprehensive, but he knew what uncertainty looked like, even when disguised; he lied professionally after all, acting was just one of his many talents. He had never been one for closeness, having flitted from place to place after the war, but Roland didn’t want to see her upset. He could relate, after all; when given a choice he would always prefer day over night and sun over snow.

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Unregistered
With the hopes of maintaining that grin on her face, so that it might add warmth to the pin pricks bubbling deep beneath her, it was but brief and subtle. An ember that faded and glowed before being shut out. She wasn’t sure how to react to the pair of auburn eyes staring across from the water’s face. She saw a stranger, a wild thing. There was frost about her darkened muzzle, light freckles dashing across her face, rusted red. She cringed slightly and with a shrug dipped her head and forced a smile in response to Roland’s voice.

Sia was neither graceful nor bulked with immense power. The snow was tricky, though after days of toiling and fighting against it, she’d found a way to maneuver through it. Sure-footed, quick enough to escape; rather flee than stay to fight. It was always move, move, move… no time for thinking, wondering. Dreaming in itself was dangerous in more ways than some, a guilty pleasure, a release and a prison. Carefully she shifted her eyes on his reflection as he continued, his gaze focused elsewhere as she watched carefully, intentionally.

The low light gave off warm, bronzy highlights. There were sharp edges that appeared exaggerated from the shadow. It was odd how she recognized the yearning that had - at once - bloomed between herself and the stranger that was Roland. Innocent as it sought to break any superficial appearances, for the sake of reaching out, making sure, that he was real. That he was really breathing, warm and beating with life. Not like the dead world around them, where the trees held no sympathy for the weary, void of shelter save their naked trunks to bear. Cold and numb, unfeeling and rough.

Sia shifted her eyes to stare out into the inky water’s of the lake. So there was a reason why the sun forsook them, or rather something that had taken it instead. “The Gods.” The words were heavy in her mouth; too heavy to swallow. There were reasons to be calloused about it, latent pains that wafted into the air through a strained whisper. “That’s hard to believe.”

Despite his pessimistic predictions, Sia didn’t know what to expect. Her certainty remained, as it was, neutral and unyielding to the idea of Gods. She would have to wait it out, take it one day after the other as always. But this news was frustrating, adding fuel to the unease manifesting deep inside. Would it never end? Roland’s thoughts prevented her tongue from moving due to these growing fears; to have the warmth of sun, the light of day radiating beyond the skies!

His question, while innocent in itself, caught her off guard. For a moment it felt as if she had been alone all this time, upset about the sun, about the indefinite stay of the shadow, dark voids consuming and expanding unwanted thoughts. Her glance was at first wild, a truth that spoke in her eyes that was all too sad in response. Her gaze weakened, feeling foolish and immature about the faces she would see in the spinning universe inside of dark places. “Yes.”

She was holding her breath; harder for her to breathe. For a moment she broke contact with the bright blue eyes ahead of her, before she gathered her resolve. “I can’t… form words to explain why. Just, I’d hoped the sun would shine. Because all this time I thought I’d gone crazy. Chased from one end of the globe to another… perhaps this was hell.”

And she missed them, she missed them so much; friends that had become family, a stranger that had become a father.

“I’ve stopped running. But, there are… things that-.” Sia tore her head away and glared beyond the shadows surrounding them. She felt embarrassed, and instead of trying to laugh it off she had succumbed to silence. There was no use trying to explain it, and perhaps the only reason why she tried was entirely selfish. An opportunity to connect thwarted by nonsense.

“- never change.”

“Do you not feel… trapped in this darkness? As if, our eyes make images from the things we cannot see. Things that swirl about and go bump in the night. I can’t… help but feel trapped. I have been romanced by the freedom invested in sky and plains that hug the earth. Not void and oblivion.”

Glo

Every time Roland glanced at the sky he expected to see a blanket of stars and celestial cloud, mixed together like a ribbon of glittering sequins; the colour of violets and roses, rubies and sapphires. Only every time he looked up with that small spark of hope, that something might have changed in the heavens while his eyes were cast downwards, he is disappointed to meet nothing but an empty void of darkness. In hopeless defeat he listened to Sia speak, somewhat glad that she was comfortable to share her doubts with him. As it turned out, they had much in common, and the young mare had a lot to say.

‘There are things that never change…’ How true that statement was in Roland’s eyes. The more Sia spoke the more he felt like he could relate to her, see where she was coming from with an understanding that only came from having experienced these things yourself. His head bobbed in acknowledgement to her words, moving closer as she spoke, growing breathless. He was supposed to have learnt from his mistakes in Anorien; intended to leave his homeland behind bettered by what he had learnt and what faulty paths he had followed. Wipe the map and start all over again with a new identity but an old name.

Sometimes he wished he’d dropped it altogether; the false charisma, easy lies, and a moniker that seemed to stick to him even if sometimes he wanted to change it and be known by another title. When he had entered Helovia he had come with every intention of starting completely anew, even if that meant tearing down the building blocks of his life and weaving together a new personality. At one time he felt sick of the dishonesty, tired of being a serpent, clandestine and clever, but it hadn’t lasted long.

Like an addict suffering from withdrawal he felt his old life coaxing him back in an all too irresistible voice. So rather than ignoring it and weathering through the urges to be someone he wasn’t, he had thrown all that ‘fresh start’ crap out the window and joined the Basin as a Phantom, eventually climbing the ranks to become an Impersonator. It wasn’t anything exactly like the war, with the same thrill of danger, of being found out, and he hadn’t been given the opportunity to do what he did best yet, but he was feeling strangely optimistic about his future in the frozen valley despite the darkness and snow, neither of which he was all that accustomed to.

So he couldn’t agree more with the younger mare. Some things never change. But maybe, unlike her, he hadn’t stopped running. His feet mightn’t have been moving in that moment, but in his mind he was still distanced from the herd he had convinced himself to think of as family, and even the innumerous friends he had made. If there was ever a cause for him to go he would be ready to leave within the shortest moment’s notice, and he liked to think there wouldn’t be a single reason for him to glance back.

I feel trapped in the dark as much as I feel strangled by the mountains around us, which is a fair amount,” he chuckled, glancing sidelong at the white mare. He felt unusually compelled to share with her an embarrassing anecdote, since it was apparent she could do with a distraction as much as he. “The day I joined the Basin was the first time I’d come in contact with a herd of any kind for many months. Their customs had long since slipped my mind, and though it seems silly I found it sensible to waltz right in and warm myself in their hot springs.” He smiled to himself, glancing back down at his darkened reflection with a breathy laugh.

It didn’t take long before I was surrounded by grumpy Unicorns shoving their horns in my face, even going so far as to magic ice into the water. So, if it makes you feel any better, I too have felt trapped since the moment of my arrival.” It wasn’t the most dignified of tales, but he wished to keep the silence at bay as long as they stood at the murky shore of the lake. He was reminded of the sea and its dark water, waves rolling over the curved shore and retreating into the heart of the ocean. “If I had it my way, I would spend every waking moment under the hot sun with a field of open grass around me… But I can assure you that the Basin is safe, as long as you have a horn atop your head.

Image Credit

Unregistered
Her brows knit together as she talked, disturbed by what she said. Afraid that her heart would leap outside of her mouth and profess everything all at once. The desire pressed against her chest with a passionate zeal, abstaining, pushing back because she knew what it would look like.

Victim. Coward.

Perhaps it was more than stereotypes, it may have been as simple as pride. A sense of worth that seemed to hinge on what she decided to share. To unravel what already lies unlocked and scattered, or to pick up each piece, acknowledge the weight of each portion, and decide whether or not it should be forgotten or held on to.

A wave of relief spread throughout her when she realized he understood, regardless of simplicity. It did not ease the tension building in her chest, but she could at least trust that her minute grievances did not appear shallow or naïve. She inclined her head gently towards him, before resting her eyes on his reflection. When he began to speak again she remained silent, glancing briefly with the slightest of smiles by his response. For the most part she had entered these lands with a timid demeanor, hardened during bouts of pauses for the sake of maintaining composure. But as they stood there, as she listened, she was beginning to find herself more at ease. Despite the fine ire etched in a laugh that seemed to escape quickly into the open, it felt safe to share these anecdotes.

At once her eyes gawked at him. Staring incredulously as he described his first ever Basin encounter. Only because she had drilled, on numerous occasions, rules that would have prevented her from taking that risk. It almost didn’t make sense to her, but then she had never traveled on her own for months before. An unannounced guffaw rang in the air, idiotically hitched and smothered immediately with a shameful duck.

“You must have scorned them enough to do so!” The grin on her face was all she could do to stop herself from laughing. As if given any opportunity to express joy was an opportunity best cherished. Though her joy was in itself always a shade darker than its former appearance. Glowing instead of brightly shinning, a mirth that was not wasted for the sake of wanting more. As if she had to guard this unannounced amusement should it seem inappropriate or unwise; for the time being she couldn’t distinguish whether it was or not.

But this account had also made her frown. Her smile began to fade while her brain churned; it shouldn’t have been tragic, really. Though the whole ordeal all at once, appeared trivial and trifling. Did he mean it when he’d said, I feel trapped in the dark as much as I feel strangled by the mountains around us…? She tried imagining it herself, recalling how weary – and weary still – she’d been for days. Had Roland been searching for a home? Was he still looking for one? Would she ever really find one, too?

So, if it makes you feel any better, I too have felt trapped since the moment of my arrival. Her eyes, sobered as the laughter danced off. But having found laughter in such a dismal world she caught as much as she could before it could thin out and disappear. Perhaps her eyes had grown warm then because she understood – at least, in the most simple and archaic sense yet – that in search of a home one often becomes lonely without one.

“No. Not really.” Once more she laughed. What she had said sounded oddly optimistic for once in the tone of her voice. Light, cheerful almost.

“I can hope for safety. Though I often fail to trust safety… I can’t trust whom I don’t see. But if you say so, than perhaps there is some merit in that.” As sad as it was, pathetic even, she couldn’t trust herself to keep safe let alone a herd land she knew very little of. And despite all safety measures, when it would seem impossible, bad things tend to happen regardless. It was too soon, she thought, to think she was completely safe now. A sense of fear would always accompany the desire to find peace, because peace appeared so fragile amidst a world accustomed to warring more than it was to healing.

“A horn? But what’s the difference?” Did they not all bleed and die? Would that indicate that she had accepted help from war mongers bent on eradicating the earth of anything and all who did not have horns? Had she been stupid?

“Where are we Roland? What kind of place is the Basin?”

Instincts. Or rather, a lack thereof; Sia had allowed her emotions to cloud her judgment (more than she would ever realize). They must have discussed this before hand, but for said reasons she couldn’t recall them. She didn’t even know what the state was like in these parts, what the other herd lands were like. Would she stay regardless?

Sia just felt plainly stupid at that moment. As young as she was… it wasn’t a good enough excuse to ignore the obvious. Especially after carrying the weight of her guilt, having abandoned her kin on the whims of survival and the infuriating desire to thrive and live. What did it all mean?

Glo

The confusion in Sia’s voice was impossible to evade, and Roland couldn’t help but look at her with something akin to pity in his eyes. Perhaps it was born of regret for having made the same mistake she had, or worry for both their futures. The valley which they stood in was a dark place, even when the sun was shining upon it, and certainly no home for the lighthearted if they were to become familiar with the darker mechanics of the herd.

The Impersonator was not aware of the Plague, but he had heard whispers and witnessed events that hinted at something portent in the subterranean depths of their kindred’s home, until the very thought became to him a teasing symbol of wisdom denied. With that suspicion tucked away in his back pocket, he scrutinized the placement of every footfall and censored his own speech so he might not misstep and find himself, once again, at the pointy end of his herd mate’s daggers.

Yet still Roland aspired to be with them, to be worth something so that he might be able to forget his past mistakes and tragedies. He had grown up an orphan, raised with the suspicion that he wasn’t wanted, and later accused of being a miscreant by the surrogate mothers who had nourished him. Leaving them behind had been a blessing when the War spilled over onto their hearths, but at times he wondered if removing himself from that familiarity, no matter how unpleasant, had been his first mistake in the chain of wrongdoings that seemed to have been bound to his name and heart.

Perhaps she could guess it from the way that he spoke; that he too had been oblivious to the true nature of the Basin’s society when he had joined them. Perhaps it would have been wise of him to ask, or for those who had leveled their swords at him to warn of their ways before allowing him into their home. But he could hardly have been blamed; racism had never been prominent in his life, and as far as hatred went he was only intimately familiar with the prejudice of a father meeting his unwanted child.

Roland sighed weightily, as if all the world’s weight rested upon his shoulders. It was not an easy question to answer, especially when he could see the doubt in Sia’s eyes, illuminated by a distant glow of light. “There is little difference, except some of our kind see horns as crowns, and assume it fit to call themselves Kings and Queens. They claim the right to supremacy and aspire to rule the rest of us or beat down those who oppose their campaign.” His voice was quiet, barely a murmur for fear that someone might be listening from the shadows.

The Basin is a place for Unicorns, and Unicorns only, though it would be best suited for those who enjoy the snow and vicious winds.” He smiled wryly. “Just because you are not racist doesn’t mean that you will not be welcome here… but greater gifts await those who are willing to lay down their lives and fight for a rising empire.” He was glad that she was not of the usual mindset, which he had grown used to expecting in his herd mates. Few in the Basin knew the truth about whether or not he was racist, and he liked to keep it that way so, in times of need, he could become whatever was wished of him. “Don’t be discouraged, though. Not all of them are so cold hearted, and I may be making it out to sound worse than it is.” Roland gave her a warm, hopeful smile, eyes searching her face for any betrayed emotion. He didn’t wish to scare her off with his honesty, but felt that it would be better she knew what she was getting into before her contract had been signed, and loyalty irrefutably pledged.

Image Credit

Unregistered
It was as though her words stood burning before her. The indents and sharp creases to her eyes stiff, aching to be answered; how long would this take? She couldn’t decipher Roland’s eyes, she didn’t understand or recognized pity even if it was briefly grown by some variant in those clear blues. The look was foreign, and it made the steady calm fracture so very minutely under Roland’s gaze, triggering the subtle flutter behind her chest, the familiar prickling crawling up her legs.

She should have been used to all of it, and having been raised in lands that thrived merely on survival alone, she should have been blessed to find any home regardless of its beliefs. But having been given two paths, a freedom rarely observed or provided between heathens in the wilds, the lack of knowledge burned in the air with a calloused laugh.

She stood silent as his words drifted, low and soft; she stepped closer.

“The Basin is a place for Unicorns…,-“ It was hard for the young one to appreciate his candid humour. More so to appreciate the gifts that he had mentioned would truly come to pass, the rewards for serving a cause that appeared to burn at the back of her skull. As these words congealed into coherent words, making sense, and too much of that sense, the youth found herself turning her head away to look at the shifting, pulsing movement of the waters. She saw two faces, two lives behind the canvass of a growing empire; and how small and fragile they were, under the void, under the canopy of ideals far larger than what both of them had originally brought to the ‘table’. And having been brought to the Basin’s table, they would be crafted into useful bodies for the purposes of the crafter, their leaders.

Her face shifted into a blank and unfeeling appearance, lost in whichever throes her thoughts had left her. The previous laughter had all but sucked out of her from the shroud that covered them, flushed from the nervous, frustrated idiocy that had since rolled over as Roland explained what made the Basin.

Her ear closest to him shifted up, as her eye caught his with his final remarks. Encouragement, all so inviting sprang from his lips; every word seemed so sure that Sia would have rather accepted the terms and be done with morals. Who needed morals when one wasn’t lonely, running, always escaping danger without having a chance to live life for what it might be? With people…

But it was all she had brought with her, those codes that had burned brightly every time a life was taken from her. Regardless of species, the injustices witnessed on every leg they crossed burnt nightmares into her sleep, too many goodbyes to paint a dreamscape of neverending faces.

For a moment she thought she might lose it, laugh, because it was funny how the world was working around them. But the chill that had threatened to turn her away from the Basin stopped as she saw Roland smile. Watched as it curled, soft, warm… she smiled with him, a ghost of an impression as her eyes watched him fixedly.

She would not ignore what the Basin stood for, would not forget what Roland had told her. Sia was sick of running, sick of being scared to death and relying on those she loved, simply because they often sacrificed too much to protect the weak. And she was weak, so very weak and useless. And they had died while others had suffered to protect what they loved.

There was nothing left to protect anymore. “Perhaps you are…,” her voice was a whisper. Her eyes glinted briefly in the low light as a result of the decision she had just made. Who knew how accurate Roland had been? Perhaps there was some hope wedged and hidden there… Her voice arose again, her smile no longer strong, waning. “So, there might still be a place and purpose for me yet.” It wasn’t a very convincing effort. She couldn’t help but carry a weight in her vocals, the weariness in her body that had sung and drawn out in that moment. Mentally, physically, spiritually she felt as though she had been wasted away all together. As if her soul had been spread out on a thin slice of bread, being bit off slowly from one end to the other.

“Roland.”

A slight tremor cracked in her voice, before she shifted closer towards him. It might have been foolish of her at that moment, but she felt it lurching outside of her at the time, powerful as she came beside him to lean in shoulder to shoulder; that childish need to be held despite the high probability of being repelled or pushed away. “Sorry, I hope… you don’t, mind.” She squeezed her eyes shut and held her breathe. She would have been happy to just stand there, as they were, close enough to reassure herself that she wasn’t completely alone.

[[ooc: she's so strange and simple... >P ]]

Glo

Throughout their conversation, Roland couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to Sia before she had entered the Threshold of Helovia. There seemed to be a cloud hanging over her head, altering her stature and the way she spoke, and every hint of its cause amplified the Impersonator’s curiousity. But he didn’t want to press her or make her uncomfortable, so he held his tongue, listening to her speak quietly beside him and picking out every similarity they shared. What had she gone through at such a young age to make her feel such a strong doubt? The rigid lines of uncertainty curled around the stiff arc of her neck and set of her shoulders like chains, and Roland wondered if she felt the weight of the world was pressing against her back. “I’m sure you will find your own purpose in life, be it here or somewhere else. I wandered from place to place for many years before I found the Basin, and I think I’m happy here.

He gave her a small smile, for it was the most he could offer in a world void of warmth, but there was still distress shadowing her features and Roland was at a loss for how to brush it away. His ears perked, a frown of concern darkening his features as her voice stumbled over his name, weak and wavering. Had she seen something, out in the murky darkness, or was she simply buckling under the weight of his words, and the overwhelming concept of a new home? Roland himself had found it no easy task to bind himself to a new family, abiding by all the rules he was now held to, all the while wondering if this was to be his end; if he was meant to live out the rest of his days in the palm of the Basin and know nothing else besides a clandestine masquerade of the prideful and pretentious.

Sia moved closer to him in the darkness, and he watched the light shift across her ivory pelt as she neared and pressed a shoulder to his, spreading warmth across his golden skin. It was tentative, as if she expected him to recoil, and though Roland was not well accustomed to contact, as he had been close with very few in the past several years, he did not pull away or flinch from her touch. Hesitantly, he curled his neck around and pressed his muzzle to the crest of her neck, looking out across the glassy lake.

There were few in his life who had shown him affection through the years, and even if the gesture of pulling her closer felt awkward and ill practiced to him, he was not adverse to comforting the shorter mare. She was by no means a child, though she was young, but he could tell she came from an unsettled past and didn’t doubt that the future was a daunting concept. If he could attempt to calm her nerves, as he wished someone had done for him in troubled times, then he would try his best, and would endeavor to smooth the anguish from her character with any amounts of hope he could give her.

Her voice sounded beneath his head, and he withdrew to look down at her with a soft smile. “Of course not. If you ever need something, I’ll be here.” His own words startled him, but he did not wish to take them back. If she needed a friend, someone to confide in when her concerns grew too great to harbor on her own, would he be the right one to turn to? Perhaps not; he was so used to shielding himself and his emotions behind a solid wall, allowing only what he wished of himself to seep through the cracks for others to see. But Roland wanted to help her, if he could, and there was no uncertainty in his decision. He was broken too, but not so irreparable that he couldn’t stitch another lonely soul together while he tried to heal himself.

It’s a lot to adjust to at first, but you’ll be fine. It’s better when the sun’s shining… though I’m not sure when we’ll be seeing it again.” He wasn’t going to tell her that everything would be easy, because she would have to decide for herself, but she seemed intelligent and resilient, and he had faith in her. Part of him felt ashamed that he had brought her here with nothing but bitter words on his tongue, painting a dismal picture that no doubt had dampened the mare’s spirits, but he was loathe to giving her false hope. Life was never easy, and though he had been lured to the Basin by the prospect of power, he would not have her chasing the same ludicrous dreams.

Image Credit

Unregistered
Hope.

It was odd how a gesture, a word, a sentence could nurture this action. The act of hope, in essence, is truly graceless. It only ever mattered most when the world appeared darkest, when the spirit is most crushed. And even then, hope can give out for any occasion to inflict any manner of destitution. Lasting a day or two, or a split second to tear open the deepest of pains, or no pain at all - to have carried no hope in the wake of a lonely world. Or perhaps a world rich in people.

The youth’s ire over her foolish decision on the Basin appeared to be melting. She could relax her eyes, let out her breathe as her companion ignored the urge to reject her. Fear was noxious, creative in the dark; its loathsome stay was at once disrupted by Roland’s contact. Somehow Sia, as tentative as she had been, could trust the shoulder beside her, the heat and the voice that had deflected her most recent fears.

“Of course not. If you ever need something, I’ll be here.”

As if he himself were invincible to the world around her. It was almost believable, the thought, only fools starved of all necessities would hold on to such claims. And while starved of a simple life, Sia understood the traps in such a feeling; the feeling to cling under the protective watch of her guardian, to never stray too far lest the animals, feral bands snatch her tiny frame away. Perhaps it was all about growing up; having at least some certainty behind oneself regardless of how sure they were. To forge ahead without certainty, to live despite loss… finding purpose, or perhaps one built purpose as well.

Her eyes lifted up as he smiled. She would have protested, you don’t have to. Certainly not. And it would have been final. She would have grinned despite the constant, boosted thread of hope that had radiated out from a mere shoulder and thereon. She would have had her reasons, knowing, having some sense what it was like to make a promise and being physically incapable of fulfilling it. It wasn’t a feeling she wished upon anyone; it was as though pieces of her had truly died, rotting with regret. Precious life appears to have its consequences on the living. His voice had deterred her however, the resolution sounding out from his vocals on which she found herself standing upon. And she believed him, not because it was something one felt obligated to do. Certainly, strangers hold no qualms for the wandering even if they’re at the odd age between child and adult.

Her eyes beamed, a smile followed; was she happy? Was this happiness? If Roland had found it perhaps she would too…? The expression was neither big nor small; what had changed subtly reflected the greater change she felt entirely. Her brow ceased to vex in sharp lines, her breathe just a bit easier than it was before, and as briefly as it may have been the darkness didn’t appear so heavy, uncouth and wicked. It was just a thing, it had no life outside of her body; just air.

“It will rise.” Because she would be damned if it didn’t. “One day.” She wasn’t alone, and it helped; more than it certainly appeared. “I will never curse the sun’s heat for the rest of my life… I swear on my grave.” Her smile crooked, as she felt inclined to embrace Roland from where they stood.

Although she couldn’t qutie escape death’s echos, the family she had lost and the grieving that inevitably followed suite. It was with some sense of this hope that perhaps, peace might be formed within the Basin’s core. She allowed her head and neck to gently press against his neck while her smile had faded.

“Thank-you.” And she was so sure of it. Despite the audible tremble in her vocals, a chord that had struck too thin that it had nearly become a whisper- her sentiment, while in excess of what was required was deemed neccisary for Sia to express.

Glo

The eternal night carried with it a concerning ambiguity, and yet the darkness seemed to bring Roland some clarity, as if every moment he spent in silent thought and wistful retrospection, the shadows were distilling his blackened mind. The fifth year of his life was coming upon him quickly and yet still Roland felt like a child at times, foolish and naïve with no true motivation except curiousity, riding on a fantasy he had convinced himself was reality. The questions that arose in his mind, which he burned to ask Sia as they stood in peaceful silence, made him think of his own past. Perhaps he could relate, and if so it was all the more reason for him to keep her close. They could help each other.

That being said, he was wary of growing close to any of his herd mates. While he considered them to be family, it was hard to shake the feeling that he should remain distanced, to only form bonds that could easily be broken. He was far too used to spending his life on the run, and a part of him was wary that he might one day find appeal in the Basin’s motives and become lured to their prospect of sovereignty. He was his own person, shaped by the wisdom and tutelage his false mothers had imposed upon him, but he knew that he still carried much of his father’s corrupt nature and iniquity in him. He had realized it the moment he had sewn himself into the fabric of his predecessor’s dynasty.

Ion had been the King of an underworld, leader of a band of rogues and rejects with a hidden agenda to rule, yet none of those added responsibilities had held up his breathless waltz for one second. All night long and every monotonous day the charcoal stallion sought and received a pageant of the great, the gifted and the gullible, for Ion had become a collector of pawns as well as fools and foxes. Crafters, scholars, wayward soldiers- all passed across his stage as the bemused beneficiaries of his great vision. If he had his way, and he often did, the influential and highest in society who had never stooped before would throw down their shields, commit to barren lives and worship him, the giver of their sun and rain. He gave them rare gifts, tokens to win over their devotion, and if they were among the lucky ones he gave them himself- for they all must be taken care of, they all must think the world of him.

Roland had learned all this in the few months spent with his father’s followers, that Ion had kept everyone at arm’s length, but with his silver tongue and irrefutable charisma they had all believed that they were one and only in his eyes and he would never let them go. When his elaborate scheme had been shredded beyond all ability to repair, Roland had been chased from his homeland with more than a bitter taste in his mouth.

Exhaling heavily, he tilted his head down and glanced sidelong at the mare leaning against him, hoping she hadn’t spoke while he had been tangled in his own thoughts and troubles. He didn’t want to push anyone who offered their kindness away, but he did not want to betray or disappoint them if they found out he was not always the patient, albeit pessimistic, voice of reason he acted.

He had once risked his neck amidst shot and shell and grown no bolder because of it, but he noticed his words had seemed to instill some hope in Sia, and he was happy for it. Despite his dishonest nature he wanted to do good in whatever ways he could, as if that might cancel out the wrongs he had done in his past. The smile she gave him was heartening, and he found himself smiling back with sincerity, all the while discarding all the unpleasant thoughts that had swarmed in his head. She leaned against him, cheek pressing on the swell of his neck, and he pushed back against her gently, curling his head towards her crown. “You’re welcome,” he murmured, injecting all the veracity he could muster into those two simple words.

(Ugh, sorry about my directionless rambling, got carried away. We can end it here if you want ^^)

Image Credit

Unregistered
((ooc: no, I enjoy your writing! :P Sure, I think it's a good place to end it. :) ))