the Rift

[OPEN] Paint it Black

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

Throughout their conversation, Roland couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to Sia before she had entered the Threshold of Helovia. There seemed to be a cloud hanging over her head, altering her stature and the way she spoke, and every hint of its cause amplified the Impersonator’s curiousity. But he didn’t want to press her or make her uncomfortable, so he held his tongue, listening to her speak quietly beside him and picking out every similarity they shared. What had she gone through at such a young age to make her feel such a strong doubt? The rigid lines of uncertainty curled around the stiff arc of her neck and set of her shoulders like chains, and Roland wondered if she felt the weight of the world was pressing against her back. “I’m sure you will find your own purpose in life, be it here or somewhere else. I wandered from place to place for many years before I found the Basin, and I think I’m happy here.

He gave her a small smile, for it was the most he could offer in a world void of warmth, but there was still distress shadowing her features and Roland was at a loss for how to brush it away. His ears perked, a frown of concern darkening his features as her voice stumbled over his name, weak and wavering. Had she seen something, out in the murky darkness, or was she simply buckling under the weight of his words, and the overwhelming concept of a new home? Roland himself had found it no easy task to bind himself to a new family, abiding by all the rules he was now held to, all the while wondering if this was to be his end; if he was meant to live out the rest of his days in the palm of the Basin and know nothing else besides a clandestine masquerade of the prideful and pretentious.

Sia moved closer to him in the darkness, and he watched the light shift across her ivory pelt as she neared and pressed a shoulder to his, spreading warmth across his golden skin. It was tentative, as if she expected him to recoil, and though Roland was not well accustomed to contact, as he had been close with very few in the past several years, he did not pull away or flinch from her touch. Hesitantly, he curled his neck around and pressed his muzzle to the crest of her neck, looking out across the glassy lake.

There were few in his life who had shown him affection through the years, and even if the gesture of pulling her closer felt awkward and ill practiced to him, he was not adverse to comforting the shorter mare. She was by no means a child, though she was young, but he could tell she came from an unsettled past and didn’t doubt that the future was a daunting concept. If he could attempt to calm her nerves, as he wished someone had done for him in troubled times, then he would try his best, and would endeavor to smooth the anguish from her character with any amounts of hope he could give her.

Her voice sounded beneath his head, and he withdrew to look down at her with a soft smile. “Of course not. If you ever need something, I’ll be here.” His own words startled him, but he did not wish to take them back. If she needed a friend, someone to confide in when her concerns grew too great to harbor on her own, would he be the right one to turn to? Perhaps not; he was so used to shielding himself and his emotions behind a solid wall, allowing only what he wished of himself to seep through the cracks for others to see. But Roland wanted to help her, if he could, and there was no uncertainty in his decision. He was broken too, but not so irreparable that he couldn’t stitch another lonely soul together while he tried to heal himself.

It’s a lot to adjust to at first, but you’ll be fine. It’s better when the sun’s shining… though I’m not sure when we’ll be seeing it again.” He wasn’t going to tell her that everything would be easy, because she would have to decide for herself, but she seemed intelligent and resilient, and he had faith in her. Part of him felt ashamed that he had brought her here with nothing but bitter words on his tongue, painting a dismal picture that no doubt had dampened the mare’s spirits, but he was loathe to giving her false hope. Life was never easy, and though he had been lured to the Basin by the prospect of power, he would not have her chasing the same ludicrous dreams.

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Paint it Black - by Roland - 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
RE: Paint it Black - by Sia - 07-15-2013, 02:32 AM
RE: Paint it Black - by Roland - 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Paint it Black - by Sia - 07-17-2013, 01:56 AM
RE: Paint it Black - by Roland - 07-18-2013, 06:48 PM
RE: Paint it Black - by Sia - 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM
RE: Paint it Black - by Roland - 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Paint it Black - by Sia - 07-29-2013, 12:58 AM