the Rift

Flightless Bird [Open]

Andash Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

andash</style>
the beautiful is always strange.</style>

Under the sun beating out heat rays that penetrated the thickest of skin, Andash pranced proudly round his newly found homeland. The scolding terra firma scattered with rocks and sand was a beauty to behold underneath the bright heavens of the daytime. Tallsun was taking its toll on the frondescence that was scarce at the best of times in such a dry area, but did not dampen the sir's spirits.

His frosted pelt glowed in the light, yet was now dusted with the sand from the desert of the Throat. It did not take long to become part of the scenery in these conditions. A light breeze began to pick up, that tossed his ashen and sapphire silks, and ruffled the feathers of his bleached wings. It made him feel like he was soaring high in the heavens; if he had ever experienced such a thing. The thoughts of his defected left wing scorched his mind, bringing back the painful memories of being the jester of his former herds. A sudden surge of these thoughts made him rather vexed at his deformity. I don't deserve this.

"I am blessed with wings and yet I am cursed with not having the chance to use them. What madness is this?"

Glancing back he saw the faint blurred silhouettes of other members of the herd, hoping that they weren't within eyesight to witness what he was intending to do. Andash pawed the soft, hot sand with his lead daggers, arching his neck and stretching his crown into his chest, bucking up the courage.

Stretching his wings the best he could, he moved. With a certain grace that was evident of his tapered, burly physique, he strutted on the spot, gradually moving into a soaring gallop across the desert.

He was trying to fly.

Slowly but surely, he began to lift off the ground. Something that had never occured in his short life. Ferociously fighting against the breeze that was becoming ever thicker, his orbs full of determination, he rose higher. His magnificent and beautiful right wing danced as it performed what was only expected of it, but his left wing would not comply. It struggled moving, causing Andash to lose balance. Panick froze his body as he was fastly approaching the ground. With a crash he landed, falling into the sand that softened only slight.

Lifting his crown, dazed, his azure orbs blurred, he slowly began to focus again and regained some control. Hopeful that no one had seen him, he was about to lift his mass back onto all four pillars. But someone stood in front of him. Oh no...

"To be second is to be the first of the ones that lose."

image by seyed mostafa zamani @ flickr.com</style>

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom
Cassiopeia's cerulean gaze had found the frame of Andash - the stallion she had recruited to this herd. She watched him curiously as he unfolded his wings, then proceeded to gain speed. She had a hunch he was intending to fly.

Could a creature with such a defective appendage possess the capacity for such a thing as flight? Concern swelled within her bosom, and oddly a faint sense of captivation, for she was aspirant for the stallion to achieve what she had surmised she was incapable of without adequate evidence. Of course there was a reasonable sense of dubiousness, that much was sensible considering his ailment. If he were to suffer a fall, he would be risking his very aliveness, and it would be rather hapless to witness such a calamity.

As the wind began to suspend his form, her heart began to sputter. Perhaps her worry had been inessential. For a few immaculate moments, he was actually sustaining flight. A sigh of relief hied from her throat; an estimable expression aglitter in her eyes. The instant slunk by all too quickly. Soon enough, his wing faltered, not able to balance his brawny figure in the sky. He began descending at a rapid pace. Her head shot upward, her ears alert and bolstered as she watched impotently. "Andash!" Her voice trumpeted urgently through the humid air. She was uncertain of what use uttering his name would be, but it had leaked from her lips, regardless.

She conveyed her slender legs to pump in the gracile rhythm of a canter, then slowed abruptly as she reached the alabaster form of the stallion she had met in the Threshold only days before. A wispy cloud of brunet particles then assembled in the air, disturbed by the skidding motion of her hooves across the dusty loam that encompassed them. She slightly lowered her tiara to the stallion, peering empathetically toward him. "Are you alright?" He seemed dazed, confounded. She was all too familiar with the sensation of falling from the grasp of the heavens. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant feeling.

Unregistered

andash</style>

Andash instantly recognised the sweet voice of the dame - it was Cassiopeia. A sense of humilation washed over him like poison spreading in a wound. He had hoped no one had seen him, yet here she was, standing in front of him with her graceful silhouette shading him slightly from the sun. Her royal tinged pelt glowed, her orbs azure at this time clouded with concern.

Shaking his crown and pulling himself onto his sturdy pillars, a slow shaking from within overtook his body. "I'm fine." His azure pools emitted pain and melancholy. He turned away from the duchess' eyes, not being to contain himself as his emotions played deeper. "I'm a fool, I don't know what I was thinking. I knew I couldn't fly!" His kissers trembled while his usually proud poise shrank into a that of an inferior infant.

He took a glance above. The sun beat hard, but the heat was not something that he thought about. A question arose him in, something that he wished to know. Turning back slightly to face the dame with his crown, "What is like to fly? To feel the breeze underneath your wings? To be able to travel through the sky instead of being rooted to the land." he inquired Cassiopeia.

Hidden Account
Phantom
The humiliation is all too clear upon his facade. She feels a pang of sympathy eat at her gut - most likely the expression is pristine as it manifests upon the delicate panes of her face. She disdained when others experienced such distress. She had perhaps been spared of it more often than most, but she has not completely eluded it: such is an unavoidable thing. Her gaze followed him as she regained his poise, and remained on him even as he turned away. "You shouldn't speak of yourself that way." Her voice is earnest, yet firm. He was not a fool. What torture it would be to be endowed with such blessings as wings, only to be barred from utilizing them. His pride had shrunk, and instantaneously she regret making him aware that she witnessed his falter.

"I won't lie to you, it's marvelous." She regarded him emphatically with stark blue irises, her eyelids squeezing shut and momentarily severing the gaze she held upon him as she envisioned the throes and enthrallment of flight. "It is as though you are one with the sky, the world unfolding below you like a never ending reel of vastness." She paused, her gaze once again focalizing upon his ashen physique. "You are free." Perhaps it was cruel to describe the anomaly of flight in such vivid, enrapturing detail to a creature devoid of its majesties, but she had her reasons. She wouldn't wait to see if Andash desired to add any interjections before proceeding: she didn't desire to leave him suspended in angst, as she was sure that he would. "There are ways you can find out for yourself, Andash. This land is abounding with magic."

Unregistered

andash</style>

As the azure dame described in such vivid imagery how it felt to fly, he could almost feel himself experiencing it. The emotions that seeped through his body danced in his icey azure orbs, a wonderous look that fell upon the elegant lady. Cassiopeia was evidently concerned and this comforted Andash to the point that he began to attempt to pick his large frame back up into a small fraction of his original, proud stature.

The thoughts of being free intrigued the good-natured sir. Slight tingles and shivers paced down his ashen pelt from the blessings others of his kind had; to be free of the shackles of land if just for a moment. The word of magic uttered by the velvet kissers of Cassiopeia brought his attention back to earth. "Magic? I assumed that low ranking creatures such as myself were excluded from obtaining such things."

An ambitious look threw itself into Andash's orbs, a form of determination that spread from his crown down to his daggers. "What if I were to join the ranks of the soldiers? At least be of value to the herd that I owe much to."

Hidden Account
Phantom
She couldn't help but find Andash's chronic self-loathing a bit surprising. She could understand its origins, though. If one was made fun of their entire life, how could they not begin to believe another's bitter words? The Gods were not so fastidious as to deny a request from one of their followers to achieve normalcy. She was certain they would mend his physical disfiguration if he were to ask them directly - not without fulfilling a quest, of course.

His petition for gaining the title of soldier did please her, and upon concluding his speech her feminine voice resounded to his previous statement: "The Gods do not discriminate between herd ranks," She began. "You must simply prove to them that you are worthy of receiving their assistance." She chimed in the same vein. She then continued without omitting a single beat, her tone lubricated with a mellifluous tinge as her vocalisms rang out. "However, we are always in need of soldiers to safeguard our borders. You would need to consult with our leader, Kri the Resolute, but there is no reason that you couldn't be promoted to such a rank." She watched him inquisitively with brilliant eyes of baby blue, speculative over what his reaction may be.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The frosted beast carefully chewed over the sweet dame's words that her kisses had melodically uttered. I could become a soldier. The ambition continued to surge within, this was something he'd always wanted - to be part of a herd with a purpose. Not the jester, not the nuisance. But to be a soldier, to protect the creatures of the herd even if it cost him the ultimate price of his life, to keep perhaps even the one he shared more emotion for than any other, when he found such a sweetheart.

Stepping deep into the scorching sands of the vast Throat with his sturdy daggers, he pulled himself upright into his signature proud poise, as if the whole event had never occured. He now had a purpose to living; to become a soldier, and perhaps even then go forward to complete a quest in the name of the gods that reigned supreme and almighty over Helovia, for the chance to be normal. "You are most kind, sweet Cassiopeia. Since coming here you have truly spoken the words of utter wisdom unlike any other." Staring into the distance where his azure pools scanned the scene of the herd members going about their daily business he added, rather boldly indeed, "Would my becoming of a soldier gain a better advantage of finding a sweetheart?" He turned his handsome bleached crown back to Cassiopeia, orbs dancing with lonliness and longing. A breeze suddenly picked up that tossed his long silks like paper in the wind, that played with and gently ruffled the feathers of his wings.

Hidden Account
Phantom
His earnest words caused a smile to penetrate her charred lips. You are most kind, sweet Cassiopeia. She had begun to develop a certain fondness for this stallion, much like the that which is shared between a brother and sister, though there was still much to learn about this ashen brute. "Thank you, Andash. " Thereafter, her cyan eyes grew slightly wider with surprise, for she hadn't expected such an inquiry to pierce through the air.

A faint nicker of a laugh bubbled up in her bosom. Regardless, she sought to sate his inquisitiveness with a reasonable answer, her words concorded with the inspiring wisdom that was characteristic of the roan dame. "Love is not an easy thing to find," Her tone assumed a somewhat more serious pitch, though there was still a figment of characteristic demureness that consumed her voice. "But I believe everyone deserves to have someone they are unrestrainedly devoted to, and to have the devotion returned." Her thoughts wondered to Azzuen and how he had earned her heart not so long ago, and yet they both partook in a delirious passion for one another. They were devoted to one another other invariably, as they would be to their dying days.

All of this elapsed in a matter of moments and without any hesitation she continued. "There is no doubt in my mind you will find such a companion. My only advice would be not to go looking for it." She felt like an old woman giving a young man advice, but she hoped he would appreciate the substance of her words, none the less. "Just, let it break upon you." She had learned such advice from her own personal experiences with the stallion she now treasured more than her own life. She hadn't been looking to find such ardent companionship in Azzuen, nor had it even crossed her mind until the emotions really began to sink in. And yet, it had been welcomed, cherished even.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The ashen beast dipped his refined crown in embarrassment, though he gently nickered a word of amusement. The emotions soon switched to a more serious front, as he aimed his azure pools at Cassiopeia. "I guess it's what my mother used to tell me when I was but a yearling, when a creature comes to love you for your faults, only then will you have found that companion." A sadness washed over him as he wondered whether anyone would ever fall so deep for a defect as himself. Yes, everyone bore faults, but a pegasus who was unable to fly? A fault above faults, possibly the ashen brute's largest disadvantage. A dame would want someone who could protect her in the skies as well as on land, something that he would perhaps forever be incapable of doing.

"Perhaps one day," A content smile travelled across the width of his velvet dusky kissers, realising that for now, friendship and belonging was nothing to feel blue about. "I must prove my love for the homeland, for I am blessed to have been accepted into the herd." Andash flicked his bleached, azure tinged silks across his sturdy rump, and paced slowly up to Cassiopeia to touch her tapered roan shoulder in friendship and thanks. A simple gesture of a friendship that Andash assumed he had found in the in the dame.

Thank you, Cassiopeia." He began to turn back on himself with an elegant dance of his daggers and he advanced slowly back into the midst of the herd members, expertly navigating around the sharp sand rocks, as the heat beat down upon his dusty ashen pelt.