the Rift

[OPEN] Wakeful Nightmares

Apache Renoen Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Eerie green light from glowing trees cast upon the gnarled and twisted trees, casting stark shadows and complex patterns of there entangled branches out over the water. Their bodies were hung like the backs of skeletal old men, defeated and ashamed, with their fingers of one hand trailing in the still waters the other reaching up to grasp the hands of their neighbors as if to pull themselves out of the water and escape their dreary life. The glass like surface of the water mirroring the scene in vivid clarity, shingling with the light of the trees that the stallion carefully followed avoiding the water's edge. In the haunting light the stallion had nearly fallen victim of the horrible water, landing to rest he had approached the water's edge to seek relief when something horrifying caught his eye.

In the gray water standing out inst ark contrast were ivory bones of a horse that had died in mid struggle to escape the water. Rearing away Apache had given a flap if his mighty brown and white wing carrying himself backward and as far from the water's edge without leaving the light sides heaving with the initial shock and effort he had put into escaping. Taking a deep breath he settled his jarred nerves before tentatively approaching, although he despised the idea of going any closer to the remains of the horse his natural curiosity had to be sated. How had it truly died? He had to know, if he did they he might survive this place where as the other had not. Through its death this unfortunate soul might manage to save a life and perhaps the lives of others throw him.

Comforted by the idea that he might give the soul of this horse some comfort, of course it could have been a bitter type and wanted to see him die, Apache returned to the edge of the pool. The bones glinted in the dim light covered in slime, where the body had met air it had rotted. But the part that had remained trapped bellow the surface was untouched by time, frozen perfectly. the sight was disturbing and he had to look away. Lifting a fore hoof Apache tentatively touched the water with its tip, it went in easily as if it was normal water, but when he attempted to withdraw it is held fast offering great resistance. Pulling harder the stallion freed himself. If he had set foot in the water light he had intended, he would have been stuck. If he had drank from it. He shuttered at the thought.

backing away Apache moved to stand under the glowing tree and observed that it and several others were growing on solid ground rather then in the water. Ears perked forward he had followed the trees curious to see if he could find a way out other then back tracking. From the dim refection above he assumed that the trees had created a canopy over the deadly marsh, meaning he could not escape this land by flight. Giving his mane a shake the stallion continued on venturing deeper into the swamp, using the line of the glowing trees as his guide, as he walked he remained as far from the waters as he could not wishing to step or slip into it. The land was as silent as death, not a living thing stirred in the darkness, the hair along his neck stood on edge and he ruffled his feathers in unease. This land was not Pegasus friendly and he wanted to out of here as quickly as possible.
Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec

Selene Posts: N/A
Unregistered
S E L E N E
The essence of silence.

The frigid breeze was jarring against Selene's obsidian wings as she soared high above the scattered territories of helovia. Her fiery red pelt could be seen from kilometers away against the blackness of the approaching downpour. The sun was obscured by thick masses of swollen clouds that seemed to be full of rain judging by the ominous roll of the thunder in the distance. Her vision was hardly reliable as she blindly ascended through the dark haze of the oncoming storm. Should she land now? Or risk maneuvering through a lighting storm? Selene had always been a thrill seeker, but she had been flying for a long period of time and feeling the earth beneath her hooves sounded beseeching. -

The snow covered earth was distinct even at an elevated altitude. Deciding to take a closer look, the pegasus mare tucked her ebony wings tightly against her sides as her powerful legs began to form into a galloping motion, pumping faster and gaining momentum. As the tree line neared, massive ebony wings burst open, slowing and leveling the pegasus mare out. The chilling gusts of wind caused Selene to wince her eyes, as flaming silken locks twirled and tangled above her skull as a result of the ferocious blasts of wind. Despite her hasty entrance, the whole process was rather graceful and was completed with a small bank to the right. The forest seemed to be devoid of life as the pegasus mare glided just above the tree line. Ahead, an opening could be conceived from the fog as tt appeared to have a water source near the center. Her parched throat was screaming for a taste of a satisfying drink. Swamp or not, Selene was dying of thirst.-

Not far from the orifice, selene rapidly flapped her extensive wingspan as her hind legs grazed the earth before her front hooves ultimately followed. The snow crunched beneath her weight as her plumage managed to knock any loose or decaying branches from the surrounding shrubbery. Inhaling sharply, Selene trudged through the deep snow with calm but confident strides. She had never tried or even thought of exploring this area of Helovia but it couldn't hurt. The trees loomed over Selenes head trapped inside their dormant state for the winter. An abrupt unknown scent was carried past her nostrils as she neared the water source. But what? The strange aroma smelled of equine. Who the hell was wandering around in this hellhole? She couldn't fathom anyone wanting to reside or even stick around this place for very long. To her surprise, a pegasus was seen wallowing in the muck that surrounded the stagnant water of the swamp. He was gifted with a dappled coat and large ruffled brown grey plumage decorated his wings. His height appeared to be identical to hers at a hefty 17 hands. She had to admit, he wasn't a bad looking fellow. -

She debated on making her presence known, but as loud as she was perhaps the stud was aware. Her neck was held in a natural arch, as her somber wings were folded neatly at her sides. Beginning to approach the winged one, a small coy grin formed at the creases of her velvet lips. She almost sauntered over to him like a feline. Clearing her throat was painful as it was still rather dry. "Hello there." She said simply with delicate suave tones. Her gaze ventured over his muscle tone before meeting the stallions chocolate orbs. "I didn't think anyone would be out here, let alone a horse like myself." Blinking her deep crimson orbs, she bumped her fiery forelock over one eye. She looked to the water as a frighting sight caused her to gasp in shier horror. A skeleton of a fellow equine lie partially submerged in the slime covered gunk, its white marrow contrasting with the surrounding snowfall. What a gruesome way to die. Slowly starving to death, and being fed on by god knows what. The very thought made her shiver. "My, god." The words slipped from her mouth slowly, but meaningfully. She looked to the rusted pegasus, awaiting an answer.

Actions. "Talking."
Sorry this is so long and rambly. :P

Unregistered

The low rumbling drifted through the air, reverberating off of the trees as the sky gave a low guttural growl of thunder. For the first time in several days light shown in the sky, cutting through the darkness like a jagged knife. Even though the canopy above the silver flash reached the marshes bellow, creating stark skeletal patterns across the stallion's dappled pelt. The sudden burst of light caused him to flinch, his eye were no longer accustom to such brightness. he had smelled the scent of the coming storm this morning, or was it evening?

With the vanishing of both the sun and moon as the gods left this world had caused great confusion, he had long since lost any semblance of time until he could no longer tell if it was night or day. Well, other then his slight weariness from his long flight he did not desire sleep, this was how he decided it was day. A rather crude and unreliable way to determine the passage of time, but it helped him to retain his sanity if he had things to focus on and figure out. He needed some order among this chaos, even if it was a simple fact that water was wet, seeing as the sun and moon had suddenly vanished he was not quite as confident in this fact as he once was.

His hide twitched as he paused. At least he was certain about one thing, he still needed to breath. Just to make sure he was correct Apache held his breath until white spots invaded his vision and his lungs felt as if they were to burst. With a great gasp he drew in air once more. Yup, he still needed to breath. Order had been established. He could face the chaos once again. The stallion hadn't gone far when he heard the sound of another equine approaching through a slight reprieve in the sounds of the approaching storm. Instantly the stallion was filled with alarm, so much so that he tired around and cantered back to the place where he had left the remains. Fear coursed through his body, not fear for himself but for this other horse he had to warn them of the danger before they were trapped.

He arrived in time to watch the pegasus make an elegant, although hurried, landing. By her grace he knew she was woman before her scent reached his nose. Her healthy chestnut pelt shone in the green hued light cast by the phosphorescent trees, her main was of equal fiery hues the green light seeming to gleam on every strand. Like she he surveyed her and deemed her an attractive horse, but all woman were attractive to him. They were his gods and he held them on great pedestals, even so he could be considered rather narrowed minded when it came to his views of woman. In all honest he admitted that perhaps he was, but he knew what he thought a woman should be and how they should be treated and stuck to his beliefs firmly. Many considered his actions flirtatious and fickle, that the words that flowed from his mouth with the utmost admiration were hollow and that he was only out to gain something. This was the farthest from the truth, he would never attempt to take anything from a mare, or trick them into anything, everything he said he stood by.

He had turned to look back at the water when she had approached, even so he kept an ear angled toward her and turned to gaze at her catching the remnants of a coy smile. When she cleared her throat he was painfully reminded of his own thirst and had to swallow in an attempt to ease the dryness of his own larynx. He returned her previous smile with a small friendly one of his own. She spoke in a charming tone and like she he allowed his eyes to briefly wander over her body, taking in her curving shape and structure, before meeting her gaze. "Greetings fair maiden." he replied offering a small nod. "I too had not expected to see another equine in these parts. Never in a thousand years would would I have pictured another horse such an alluring beauty entering these dreary lands." Unfortunately he had been proven wrong shortly after entering this marsh when he had stumbled upon a gruesome warning. It seemed the lady had noticed this vary sign as she let out an exclamation of horror.

With saddened eyes he looked at the scene once more before shifting slightly to shield the worst of the image from her view. Still the sight of the ivory bones was visible. "These waters appear calm and safe but they are in fact a death trap. " He began. " Those who enter are instantly trapped, like quicksand with a near unbreakable hold. I would have been taken as well by it had it not been for this equine here. He, or she saved my life." he looked at the lady once more. "Perhaps even your's, for had I not come you may have seen the remains or simply missed them as you sought to quench your thirst same as I." Again his sad eyes returned to the lost soul. "I only wish I had come in time to save you from such a terrible fate." It was apparent that the body had been here for sometime, no flesh or fur remained upon the bones that jutted out from the water. This horse had been dead long before he had came to Helovia, even so he still felt sorrow for its loss. His heart was heavy with the knowledge that more bodies must lay beneath the surface, hidden by the murk and darkness. "I am sorry that you had to see such a lurid scene, but know that I am indeed truly grateful for you appearance."

His tail flicked and his wings shifted. "It has been far to long since I have seen another-" he glanced at the carcass, "-living soul. Let alone one such as picturesque as you, i thank you for providing a shining light in my otherwise bleak day." He wished to leave, he wished to take this woman away from this horrible place. He wanted to one especially a mare to see have this memory seared into their mind. So he had attempted to distract her. "Perhaps we should leave this soul in peace, I have already bothered him or her once before." Silently he offered a prayer to what ever god existed now asking them to guide this soul to happiness if it had not already found solace as he watched the lady for a reaction.

Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec

Selene Posts: N/A
Unregistered
S  E  L  E  N  E
Breathe.

Large carved nostrils heaved with each inhale and an exhale following closely behind. Raven colored wings shuddered and twitched at the occasional drop of a snowflake as enigmatic crimson orbs shifted throughout the fellow pegasus standing just a few feet from the fiery fae. The skies were of a deep grey, rumbling their angered fury across the heavens. Selene despised the winter months. Hell wasn't a fiery pit of flames; no, it was a frozen icebound abyss. -

The unfamiliar stallion looked as though he had also been traveling previously as his maw seemed dry as he spoke his amiable greeting. "Greetings fair maiden." That was a first. A fair maiden? How flattering.
"I too had not expected to see another equine in these parts. Never in a thousand years would would I have pictured another horse such an alluring beauty entering these dreary lands." A flirt was he? "Well I am flattered by your kindness, stallion." With a bat of her lengthy lashes, she took a mere careful but assertive step towards the stud. The glacial breeze blew her embellished scent into his nostrils, almost smelling like that of a freshly bloomed rose. Before the mare could flirt any longer, her gaze returned to the remnants of a horse immersed in the ooze surrounding the bank of the bog. Moss and other plant life had began to grow around the carcass, as the skull was detached from the vertebrae wallowing in the muck. It must have been here for quite some time. The appearance said little to the pegasus mare. She was so accustomed to death that it almost didn't matter. Sure she could cry or mourn over a decaying body that she had never even met, but what was the real point? Selene was rarely ever emotional as her heart was a stone. Cold and hardened by her grim past. -

The stallion almost seemed to block the carnage from her view which puzzled selene. She wasn't a filly! He seemed as though he ached just looking at the corpse, his eyes filled with dreadful sorrow. Had he ever seen a deceased horse before? She didn't understand his pointless anguish. "These waters appear calm and safe but they are in fact a death trap. Those who enter are instantly trapped, like quicksand with a near unbreakable hold. I would have been taken as well by it had it not been for this equine here. He, or she saved my life. Perhaps even your's, for had I not come you may have seen the remains or simply missed them as you sought to quench your thirst same as I. I only wish I had come in time to save you from such a terrible fate." She suposed that was a way to look at it. A warning. She observed the stallion with puzzled but reassuring gaze, gently bumping her ashen maw against his nape for comfort. "I suppose I am somewhat accustomed to this sort of thing." She began. "Long story short, I wasn't blessed with the kindness of a normal upbringing." Lifting her sooted wing, a large jagged scar stretched across her barrel ending near the crease of her flank. "Don't mourn for the dead, their journey of life has only just begun." .-

"It has been far to long since I have seen another__living soul. Let alone one such as picturesque as you, i thank you for providing a shining light in my otherwise bleak day." His flirt of an attitude brought a smile to the pegasus mare's visage as a brief nod was noted towards his direction. "I was merely searching for a drink, but now that you have warned me of such things.. I am skeptical." She offered the stallion a small chuckle before ruffling her ebony feathers. "I am also thankful of you. You could have saved my life, and for that i am in your debt." Nodding, she brushed the tips of her quills across the stud's cheek before ultimately returning her gaze to the ground beneath her. "Perhaps we should leave this soul in peace, I have already bothered him or her once before." She had never been so eager to part ways with such a place as this. "Indeed." She stated simply with a tone sounding as delicate and soothing as a harp string. "I don't believe i properly introduced myself." Curving her neck into a polite bow, she then addressed the rusted pegasus of her name. "I am Selene, i reside in the endless blue." A large smile creased at the corners of her velveteen chops, as crimson eyes drifted over his facial features. "And you are, fine stallion?" With that, selene signals the stallion to follow her with a bob of her skull. Trudging through the snow that blanketed the earth, she lifted her knees high against her chest to prevent slipping or tripping herself. Her healthy round rump sloped from side to side as the pegasus mare walked, a confident gleam in those secretive eyes.

Actions. "Talking."

Unregistered

When she took a step forward he did not move. "You flatter me with your kind compliment, I am but a humble stallion who merely speaks truth." His gaze followed her's to the fallen horse, unlike he she seemed to be unfazed by the dead. He did not need her to tell him that she had seem a lot of death, in his travels he had also seen death, watched others die. Even so he still felt pain whenever another left him behind. He felt her touch and turned to looked at her all too aware of her flirting. He did not refuse her though, it felt good to be so near another, however he did not reach out at touch her. Normally he would refrain from going anywhere near a woman when he first met them in order to avoid entering their personal space and making them uncomfortable. He rarely had a lady approaching him in such an open manner, however it did happened before.

Remaining where he was he made no move to retreat or advance, he couldn't very well take a step back in the position he was in without stepping into the deadly water. Not really the most subtle way to tell a woman you're not interested. He didn't dwell on this for long seeing as the lady was once again talking. He gave a small nod. "Fate is not always kind." he agreed remembering his brothers and their cruelty and the most recent loss of his mate. No fate was not kind. Her next comment caught him off guard, he had rarely thought of death merely being another path toward a new life. The thought was truly appealing, with such a firm belief in it one's pain at losing another would be lessened. Yet at this moment he did not feel like contemplating it, he would use it to seek solace later, but for now there were other things that called for his attention. He had barely heard her next words when the feathers on her wings brushed his cheek. Taking a deep breath he could not help but draw in her scent, they were far to close.

"I am honored to have been able to help such a lovely lady as yourself." he replied with a small nod. He gave a flick of his tail his wings shuttering with the urge to fly, he had not been on the ground for so long it felt odd to be on solid ground. Plus he was pinned against the water by the mare and wouldn't be able to dodge if she suddenly lashed out in anger, woman could be as unpredictable as the sea and one had to tread careful in order not to heart their precious hearts. he was relieved when she agreed to leave this area and his ears perked when she introduced herself. "It is a great pleasure to meet you Selene." he said, returning to bow. "I am Apache Renoen." He straightened and followed the elegant woman, taking care to leave a respectful amount of distance between him and her. He would be more careful not to allow himself to get cornered again, he didn't want to give Selene the wrong impression.

Walk "Talk!" Think
-Sorry for the long wait-

Table Made by Aztec