the Rift

[OPEN] in places deep, hespera.

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

Forgive me...

The words faded, melting into nothingness like the snow that kissed her withers in a cold and whispered hush. Yseulte gave the mare a curious, searching glance that was as fleeting as falling star, waiting for an explanation that never came. She did not pry.

After all, she knew far too well what it was like to hold a secret close to your heart. Her King of Thieves with his wild red hair and cool silver eyes was one such secret, but it was a sweet secret, sweet and ripe as forbidden fruit. But there were darker deeds staining her heart, too, her father's golden blood on her hands; a terrible, terrible sin that she had desperately hoped would eventually decay and deteriorate, like dry old bones left to bleach and crack in the desert sun. But the secret did not fade, nor was she ever able to cleanse her hands of the lingering stains. Instead, the toxic secret festered into gaping, raw sores that wept an oozing, sickly substance...guilt. It consumed her, slowly at first, creeping up between the cracks of her heart like a noxious weed, and inch by inch, it tangled her heart into a wild, deadly garden in full bloom with ivy, nettle, and dark thorns beaded with golden blood.

If she had been unable to forgive her father for his wicked sins, how could she possibly ever hope to forgive herself?

"There is nothing to forgive," she said at last, sighing softly, as if her breath could expel such poisonous thoughts from her mind like a gust of wind sending autumn leaves away in a tumultuous flurry of color. The stranger—Hespera, she'd called herself—asked about the gods. Yseulte could only shake her head sadly. "So it would seem. It was not always this way, though." She thought of the soft-spoken boy she had met on the mountaintop, the Earth God's own son. If anyone had an answer, surely it would be the boy. She recalled the way the violets and sweet summer grass had bloomed beneath his hooves, unfurling from the frozen earth as if it were spring instead the dead cold of eternal winter. Perhaps he was the answer. "One day, or was it night?" she murmured, more to herself than to the stranger. "The sun, the moon, even the stars...they simply ceased to be. It has been dark ever since."

They walked, for a time, in complete silence. Yseulte did not wish to linger in the clearing that was drenched in hot, steaming blood. In this everlasting blackness, darker things than wolves roamed the Threshold and Yseulte had no intention to meet them. Striding purposefully through the snow, Yseulte set a pace as brisk as her crippled leg would allow. The cold made her leg ache something fierce, but drove her on determinedly all the same. With Hespera striding dutifully at her side, they followed the winding trail of glowing bark, vines, and toadstools, heading south into the wild labyrinth of the Deep Forest. Itzal bounded ahead, his violet eyes flashing and glowing in the darkness like an eerie lantern. The little tiger ignored the young griffin, for now, deeming the strange creature not yet worthy of his company.

Only when they were tangled deep within the belly of the forest did Yseulte finally allow herself to think. Questions bubbled on the tip of her tongue like a warm hot spring: Who are you? Where did you come from? Why are you here? Those would be the polite questions to ask, the questions that would make civil conversation between strangers. Instead, fixing the mysterious mare with a cool gaze vibrant as the sea and bold as the ocean tide, she asked an entirely different question. "Whose blood are you covered in?" Her voice was neither condemning or approving. Simply curious. There were no wounds marring the mare's stormy skin, so the blood could not be hers.

Or could it?

yseulte & itzal,

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Hespera Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Secrets; they were the world, the force of the universe, the stars and the moon and the clouds and the earth, all of the galaxy driven by the stories locked away in your heart evermore, slowly growing dusty but the pain never fading. Eventually, they will spill from your mouth unbidden, be unearthed by someone in your life, whether it be friend or foe; and then you will face unwanted judgement for your past locked away, even when you had warned that one to leave it be, that some things were better left behind. Those who do not speak, who wear the silence like a well-worn coat, sheltering them, protecting them from the rain, will always guard their secrets- and they have many more than their fair share- precious and close to the heart, no matter how much of a burden they may be, weighing down each step.

Hespera was one of the type who kept her heart locked behind bars alone, and the only one nimble enough to crawl through was the little griffon who listened to her memories and watched them unfold.

There was no muscle lining her back nor rounding her haunches, none padding her shoulders. For all the world she looked like a woman who had just crawled from the womb, still wet with the blood of a babe, weak as a filly born in winter. For in a way, that was what she was. Nevertheless, her mind was stronger than a child, and so she learned to use the frail muscles quick as she could, unwilling to be left behind by the mare who had taken a chance with her. Otienu was unable to express his shock in her- her- at being… bone and muscle and sinew and blood, and had shared his surprise with her until she brusquely shoved their mental connection aside, throwing up an iron wall which he could not surpass. Growing sullen from his poor treatment, the hatchling took the sky and flew above, welcoming the shadows engulfing him, even if they did frighten him- but only just a little bit.

For once the secrets of her past did not bite at her as Hespera focused upon the movement of her limbs, and she welcomed the lightening of her shoulders.

Eventually, it came so that the movements were natural, and she found her mind turning to the mare who reminded her so strongly of a shield-sister she had left behind. As aforementioned, the young goddess- or not-goddess, now- rarely opened her mouth to vomit up words. Daermaethor had taught her better than being the pretty mare who talked freely, as if all the stallions were not intent on stealing her virginity and taking her home. Trust came with time, he had warned her; never put your faith into something you do not know. The stormchild kept his words close to her jailed heart, for the marble father had loved her, and she had loved him back, a daughter and father, inseparable, the most powerful family in the world.

So she kept silent as Yseulte, the iron fist and silk glove, told her there was nothing to forgive.

She was so very wrong; what was she but a horse of unspoken apologies and committed wrongdoings she had never bothered to fix?

The mare moved with a hitch to her swinging hips, a touch of a limp murmuring of a story. Hespera wasn’t particularly interested in a story, so she did not bother to question it. Throughout the years she had heard too many stories she did not care for- detestable, horrifying stories that would rob one of their youth and innocence. Some had come from Daermaethor’s lips, in hopes of hardening her. Indeed they had hardened her, turned her heart to steel and iron.

Blood dripped off her, chilling her skin. She wished the cold was gone. She wished the scent that cloyed her nostrils and burned her throat was gone.

Slowly the trees thickened to a monstrosity of darkness and deep darkness, until she was only following the faint flicker of violet lit by the lantern trees, and occasionally relied upon Yseulte’s scent of wild. It came so that she felt she was following the mare into the bowels of some giant beast. Yet no fear chilled her heart- she was too set on the idea she was invincible, and perhaps that was her greatest problem, a flaw she was not even aware of. Words, sliding gracefully from the lavender mare’s mouth like water slipping down a mountain stream, awakened her to the real world once more.

Whose blood are you covered in?

What could she say? That she did not know? How she woke on the snow and lay there, lost? How the last thing she knew, was that she was forced into a real skin and was caught inside a body? Hespera did not know the iron lady.

Trust was a dangerous thing. Perhaps she was too strongly reminded of Berian, but she found the words tumbling off her lips unbidden.

“I do not know, and my guess would sound mad to you.” For a moment, her voice cracks. “Let’s just say… I was not always a mortal. My first step into this world was the one that made me into what I am now, as I walk.” Hespera doesn’t look at her. She doesn’t wish to know if Yseulte thinks she is crazy.

“I’ve killed before today; and now you owe me a question. Who was your father, who was your mother? You remind me of someone I once knew…”