the Rift

[OPEN] late on our promises.

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

I had been busy.
After all, growing up was hard, and I had been doing an awful lot of growing up here lately.

Still, a goofy smile of a child rests easily on my aging features, the kind that belie the fact I am still under two years. My limbs had grown shockingly tall. I think I am hovering well over fifteen hands these days, certainly taller than Midas, but probably not mother. Muscle had begun to bunch and curl around my limbs, making me look all the more adult like. But, yes, I do still wear the smile of a beloved child on my lips.

I was going to see my family, or so I had at least thought as I soared underneath the expansive sky, bedazzled with all sorts of shimmering stars. I could not wait to see the face of my mother and my darling Nuna, though they would probably chide me for being gone for more than a season. It was not due to slacking off, certainly, for I had fulfilled the task of my father thus far. Feeding the hungry, fighting monsters, and healing the earth - I am trying to make them proud. What is more, I managed to find a peculiar object not long after that battle with the monster I had mentioned.

A harp, not much larger than the length of my cannon, made of the purest white birch wood and laced with emeralds and vines that never wilted. The beauty of the object was obvious, but not really the strange part, you see. The very first shocking attributed I noticed was the thing's habit of floating in midair by my side. Floating, literally, as though invisible hands were holding it aloft. No matter how fast I walked, ran, or flew, the persistent little instrument kept time with me. What is more, whenever I began to hum, the harp's strings pluck themselves, matching the melody with soft, earthen sounding tones.

A companion encouraging my music, it would seem. I took this as a gift from my father because of my good work, for surely only he could create such a wonderful instrument.

Together with my brand new musical friend, I soar downward upon the Foothills. The lush, green area still illuminated by the light of the waterfall, but the area appeared scarce, almost as if something was wrong with it. My eyes narrow, looking for the familiar frame of Bear or mother, but finding them hiding within one of the Foothills' many secluded places. They could be anywhere, so I simply choose a meadow to land upon, letting a nicker fill my lungs and permeate the air.

I pause, stopping to look at my harp, ever present by my side, before raising my ever-so-grown-up voice toward the mountains. "Mother? Ranjiri? Ophelia?" the names of my family, hopefully ensuring they would come. How could I know that Ophelia and mother had forsaken these lands?

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
My heart is heavy, does it show? </style>

In the darkness, Phaedra moved like a beacon of starlight. Even when her ability to move soundless was not needed, she still allowed the magic to slip around her, silencing her movements. It somehow seemed...better that way. She was by no means completely deceptive like this - not when points of light seemed to radiate along her coat and in her creamy curls - but something about adding to the roaring silence that the eternal night had brought, seemed comforting.

Stella lay nestled upon her back , wrapped up in vines and leaves to hold her fragile avian body in place, while it attempted to heal. Apollo had done what he could, but Phaedra truly wondered whether her bonded would survive. Their mental bond seemed strained now - almost as if filled with static, and even then, very few words came from her friends mind. She supposed it was an accident on Circe's part - likely she hadn't meant to kick Stella so hard but...why were they even fighting in the first place? Because Circe had a bruised ego? Because Phaedra had called her a name Because -

Mother? Ranjiri? Ophelia?

A voice cut off her thoughts before they could snowball into a more maddening fury, as they so frequently did. With a soft snort, Phaedra moved towards the sound of the voice - a male one at that - readying her sirenesque magic as she moved, just in case. These were troubled times with so many having left the Foothills - could it be that the child of the Earth, patron God of the Foothills, and the one who had blessed Phaedra with Stella in the first place - had come for some darker intent? No, he's calling for his mama. She thought, as she moved silently forward.

Had she met Hototo before? Certainly she had heard of him - from both Ophelia and Ktulu but...perhaps at a meeting, she concluded with a mental shrug. It wasn't as if it was hard to recognize the Earth's offspring. As she appeared from a darkened glade, silently and shimmering, she slowed. Her oddly patterned wings hugged her sides almost like a barrier, should Stella's body began to lean one way or another. Her shimmering gaze had lost much of its joy, but still appeared light and welcoming. "You call for Ktulu, sugar? She's your mama, isn't that right?"

Pausing a few strides away, she regarded the colt in the darkness. Surely he was much larger than any other his age, and adorned with both wings and the horns of his father, cementing his lineage immediately. How nice that he had come here, looking for his mother - his aunt. Perhaps he could teach her daughters something about that - now that they had both decided to leave the Foothills.

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

She came, a glistening star amidst a land draped in darkness. I had never personally met Phaedra, but her face reminded me of a small, delicate vision of another, a small girl. Raeden had been her name, and looking upon the warm coat of this mare, I figured they were related, but surely, this woman did not appear motherly. I suppose my own mother did not either, so who am I to judge? Many were frightened of mother, many spoke ill of her, but I had seen such a warm face as she gazed at me. The love of a mother is unmatched, pure, unbreakable, at least in my world. However, what about the love of a child? Is it the same?

Thinking back on how the idea of mercenaries had shocked me, I thought likely not. I do not have the heart to turn my back on mother, but I certainly did not wholeheartedly approve of her true nature. I suppose that makes me weak, but I am growing, trying to be strong. Strong I will become. One day, I will love my mother without hesitance or doubt. For now, I will just love what I can of her, and try to make good on our promises. Try, but, per usual, fail to do so.

The voice which comes from the older mare is one that is warm, but almost dark, like there was a hidden question underneath her words. I do not know about her thoughts, her current worries, nor has she any idea of mine. All I know is I vaguely recognize this mare. She usually stood near to Ophelia, but where was my aunt of blood and snow now?

That’s right,” I answer, giving her an open look with my dual colors eyes, blood and earth - blood from my mother’s family, following back generations that I know nothing of in this moment and earth from the very soul of my father, the very heart that beats in my own chest. My heart spewing life into the world around me, aided by the ever so strong presence of my father here in his home - I do not know for certain he has returned, but I feel it in my bones, in my soul.

I look to her expectantly, as though she would hold all the answers for me, my childish eyes bright. “Where is she? Do you know?

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
My heart is heavy, does it show? </style>

He suddenly reminds her of how her girls used to be...patient, full of hope and promise, but even more so, it was the idea of him waiting on her, on the expectancy and childish brightness of his gaze...How the world was changing...and Phaedra it seemed, had failed to move along with it.

Her downy and oddly patterned wings fluttered loosely at her sides, as for a moment she pondered the extent of the situation, to tell the bluish figure. His size seemed to indicate that he could handle the news but...was he not still just a child? Holed up in a body far too large and mature looking? Nibbling her lip, she sighed and took a tentative step forward. She had seen Kutlu in her tender moments, but even then she did not think that she would shield her children from the world. But if that was true...why was he here; why hadn't Ktulu sought him out herself?

"The Grey is no more, sugar. Ophelia first left, and then Ktulu. Your...Sister I suppose, Ranjiri still lives here. But we are simply the Foothills now." Pausing to see if he would be receptive of the news, she shrugged helplessly as she continued. "I do not know where she went...To live as an outcast, I should think.." Her voice trailed off as the extent of her knowledge came to a close. As she looked at the handsome blue figure, she wished there was more that she could do for him. And somewhere in the back of her mind, she was glad that Raeden wasn't here as well - something told her that this handsome and godly figure, would be just the sort that she would be apt to follow around...

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5