the Rift

lightless

Eribor Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

There is something to be said for loss. In the midst of a world tumbling, chaotic, out of control, loss centers and defines us, molding the spirit into something strong and wise. Loss gives us the power to endure, to withstand, that we might defend the weaker from the agonizing burns of a heartless world. What would be without these years of empty wandering, I wonder: an arrogant child with the humor of a knave, still convinced that the world is mine to command? A leader without wisdom, a follower without peace? The loss I have endured has made me into the creature I am today, and in that way it has done me a kindness.

Or so I have told myself, again and again. I repeated the words as I rose from the ashes of my burning home, and again as I fled the wrath of six rabid wolves. When kingdoms fell and I stood and watched, helpless to help a people I knew not, I reminded myself that loss would strengthen those who remained, would mold and form them into something stern and stronger. And each time I entered a new land, the scent of my kind thick on my tongue and filling my mind with hopeful elation, I quietly repeated my mantra of steel – I am strong because of my loss. If I do not find my family here, I will endure, because I must be strong in my people's name.

I never did find my family, and over the ache of burning time I began to think I never would. It was with this absence of hope and acceptance of fate that I came to Helovia in its winter of darkness, and there at last found a place as broken as I. Night had settled abruptly as I reached the dense forest, eerie and moonless darkness punctuated only by the strange glow of a ill-spaced trees. The snow which had plagued my journey thus far was cast out by the dense foliage- a welcome change. I shook the ambient wet off myself and stepped forward through the everlasting pines, hooves crunching on fallen needles. It was an hour before I escaped the sun and snow completely, and in that time I came to realize that something about this land was very... odd. The trees that stretched into starless skies released tantalizing aromas that reminded me of home, earthen and wild and so very seductive, and yet there was something disquieting in their guardian's glare.

Did I mention that they were glowing? Because there was that, too.

In the murky light I could scarcely make out my own dark legs; my wings rested still, folded at my side, for I dared not attempt flight in this dense blanket of snowy night. Besides, I had wandered far before this, and the wear I felt in my tired bones no doubt showed in the low hang of my crown, the slight tremor of my limbs. I was welcome prey to any wayward predator; better to reserve my wings for a hasty escape, than to waste them gliding over this earthen threshold. Beneath the muffling scent of snow and earth I could pick up strains of something else, something familiar and alarming with a faint kiss of comfort. This was not an ill-traveled land, hoof-prints in the earth and the stray feather here or there proved as much. I had come to a place where others lived, perhaps even others of... no. Not my kind. I would never find others of my kind, only strangers in a strange land, waiting to test a warrior's mettle, useless creatures untouched by loss who fail to understand the vast turmoil of this world. I did not care; any face would be a welcome respite from this eerie darkness, and so, weary and dispassionate, I carried on through the endless night, waiting for the denizens to emerge from their protective wood and wondering if this would be a day of fight, flight, or respite.

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren
There was darkness everywhere. Of course, there had been a certain blackness before- in the hearts of greedy horses, in the minds of those tainted by shadow, in the familiarity of the night sky. Andromeda knew this; she was not naive to the way the world look, even if she preferred to see the best in the citizens of Helovia, no matter how twisted nor corrupted they might be. But now, the darkness had spilled over the entire world, black oil dripping onto the relatively clean white tablecloth, hellish and sickly. It was a disease, eating at the people, a creator of chaos and the bringer of paranoia and terrible fear.

It had taken a certain amount of time until Andromeda gathered up the dregs of her courage and urged herself northern-bound, fearful of accidentally deserting Helovia by exiting through the mountain passes. She was unused to the Threshold, not knowing it nearly as well as a few who always stayed in the beginnings of a new world, ready to recruit. Still she braved it, her compassionate heart twisting as she imagined travelers lost and wrapped in the uncomfortable, unkind cocoon of deep blackness. The trip had taken many days, partly for she preferred traveling by the rugged paths glinting with golden lamps, partly because she feared flying, with would have saved many days. Altogether, Helovia was no longer the rich place of wonders and fantasies it had once been. Now it was dark and cold and damp; the world beginning to die, and deserted by the divine lords and ladies who kept it running. The batteries needed replacing, but there were no electricians, so to speak.

Even with her coat of black feathers, the cold bit at her incessantly. Grass was scarce as well, much of it dead, lost of the precious nutrients that helped keep coats glossy and flanks full. It was never easy, winter- but it had never been this hard. Despite being a member of a herdland, her rips and hips jutted from her body alarmingly- or rather, the fat and muscle slowly stripped from her voluptuous form, leaving a starved horse in it's place. She could only imagine the wretched state of outcasts.

Andromeda grew closer to her destination, the scents of strangers, vagabonds, and herdlanders blending together in a dizzying way. She sunk deep in the snow, floundering through it like a foal through long grass, feeling ill at how small and... alone she was.

It was then that she scented him, the scent reminding her of earth and summer sun, and for a moment she paused and just drank it in voraciously, loving the reminder that the winter would surely not last forever. One day, the gods would come back, she was sure of it. Something must have stolen them away- they would not abandon her and her family for some petty reason. Gods were gods; their ways were unfathomable and no mortal could hope to understand their enlightened reasonings. That's what she told herself, repeating it, soothing the frayed nerves that murmured the worse was still to come. They would come back, and they would return the world to it's proper way of working.

Here and there she caught a glimpse of skin, from the dim light of the lantern trees, yet it was impossible to decide precisely what features graced him.

Andromeda considered her words for a moment, letting them roll about inside her head. She didn't wish to force membership onto a stallion, and she certainly didn't want to invite a stranger into the herd, not knowing who he was or how he acted. "I'm Andromeda, of a land of red sand, green grass, and sky blue water. This place was not always of darkness, even if it lay in some's hearts," she paused; "I'm sorry, this is such a dismal greeting to a traveler."

AndromedA
I will fly among the stars for eternity
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
image credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.

Adrixaura Posts: N/A
Unregistered

A d r i x a u r a
hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die,
then life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
Things were changing around her, and with Tonka and Chemical gone, she had her plan in mind. It was simple. Recruit members in the Threshold as they came weary and tired, build up and gain allies as she found ways to train her members, gather information, and then hit the blocks. She was going to get this done, and whether if she knew it was daylight or night, was prepared to head out to the Threshold. Just one problem.
Little Sikeax wanted to go with her mother.
Adrixaura had always been a loose parent with her child, and when Sia was asking politely for her mother to allow her to come along, stating she had gotten lonely and wanted to make new friends with Mommy, Adri fell for her daughter's adorable ways, and let her go. Except, Sikeax was a natural source of light. Her daughter had been born like the father, an amber champagne, straight horn that luckily matched her mother's same pale blue eyes and glew the same, and a weird blue circle marking on the filly's rump that turned the base of her tail a dark blue. Her mother got lucky when the child was born with her own eyes, except with grey flecks inside them.
Beside the mare, her white coat giving her a ghostly appearance, black leopard appaloosa spotting on her face, upper neck, and front legs making holes in her ghost body. Her mane and tail fell in elegance as she braved the cold waters of Frostfall and washed herself. Sikeax received a bath as well, through the foal's constant complaints. If they were going to the Threshold, as the temporary leaders of the Assassins, they needed to look nice so that they weren't just messing outcasts with hope and will to get things done.
Sikeax was already whining, bothering her mother over the issue of not finding anyone just yet. The filly wasn't the best at holding her tongue, and Adri repeatly shooshed her child up until the first sound other than their own broke the silence. The girl beside the woman hid underneath the safety of her mother, her height making her just short enough so that she wasn't stabbing her mother in the stomach. Adrixaura, on the other hand, stood tall, pale blue eyes searching the trees and darkness for the sounds. One fallen feather on the floor beneath her, she heard her daughter go "Oooooo...... Feather...." and reach down for it.
"Sikeax, please don't touch that. You don't know whose it is, and unless they gave it to you, then don't pick it up. Who knows what it has been in."
She listened as her daughter groaned as a reaction to being yelled at, her mother simply passing it off before walking through the brambles, clearing a path of the two. The child, left standing alone for a minute, took off at her best attempt at a gallop to keep her with her mother. When she came beside her mom, she smiled patiently to herself before looking ahead to see something interesting. Something she just had to see.
Going with the idea that her mother wasn't moving fast enough for her, she took again, as she was prone to, and found herself skidding to a halt before a winged stallion, blue light from her horn showing every detail of the terror and fear that plastered her face. Her own mother was charging through the brambles, panicking at the sudden take-off.
"Dammit, I should keep a leash on that child." Her voice had anger inside it, though her attempts to hide it weren't exactly the best. So much for being a good mother....
When she discovered her child, standing in front of a Pegasus stallion with frightened eyes, she almost had the fury and overprotectiveness of a mother to kill the Pegasus; mercy was found inside her, though, and she spared him an onslaught of hate. The child is here, let's not spoil her perfect little mind.
"Sikeax! Come back over here. Now. You've got me worried." The filly, panic still plaguing her, returned to her mother in a hurry, and went about returning to her safe place, underneath her mother's stomach where for sure she knew no one would touch her.
Adrixaura's pale blue eyes could of been in flames at that moment, but as long as her firstborn daughter was there, she had to bite down upon her silver tongue. It takes only a mere child to defeat the Devil's Advocate.
One deep sigh, and stares the stallion down. This one could be a recruit for the Assassins, and as desperate as she seemed, she was going to try him out. "Hello. I'm Adrixaura, leader of the outcast group called the Assassins. This is my daughter, Sikeax, training Doctor for the Assassins. Do you need a place to rest, a family to care and watch for you? We've got just that with the Assassins, if you wish to follow. Excuse me if I seem in haste, Sikeax is a very flightly child, and when she discovers something she likes, she'll go for it. We've just like to return home soon."
Yup. She sounded desperate, but with her head held high with grace and elegance, she wanted to look like a proud mare who wasn't just the temporary leader who needed help. Oh no, please don't let her look like that for the moment. And Gods forbid, Sikeax open that big mouth of her's.
Her voice had just turned quiet as she heard the voice of another, and turned her attention the new creature that moved in. Sikeax, in the friend-wanting ways, went straight to investigate. This time Adri stood and watched the mare who came in, eyes glued to her child as well. "Touch my child, and die, girl."

OOC: omg. I'm so sorry for how bad the ending is. I had just finished the post and then saw Wanderer's reply, so I sort of had to slap her being involved before I posted it. Ooops... xD
Also, Charks, be sure to finish your profile before getting too far!

image credits
table by whit

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
I was lurking the shadows again. Honestly, I needed to get a life. All of this lurking in the shadows was beginning to get horribly monotonous. And, hopefully, it meant I was only going to be bringing in more and more recruits. You know you like giving them the home! came Innerste's voice as I locked my eyes upon a pair of pegasi. One seemed older, more atoned to the world around him as he moved forward. Weary, but not weary enough to briskly leave. It seemed an interesting prospect - I might have to take him up on such measures.

The other seemed to have a coat of black and was suffering from the cold. Didn't seem to be much offering, and she smelled of familiarity that this land had so I could only assume that she was from here. Her words were enough to prove that, her name traveling along with it. "A dismal greeting if one really despises the chill and darkness that this brings" I commented from the shadows, a laugh on my lips as I emerged fully into the amber glow a few feet off. "Honestly, I find it quite charming without the sun. But, I suppose those who are accustomed to the light and not the monsters who lurk in the shadows would not take well to such weather. I am Seele," my voice curling around the harsher consonants of the german heritage as the soprano chords allowed it to float around delicately. "I am from a marsh where such nightmares can thrive and misfits can grow and find a home. Might I be able to offer one such a place?" I said, a smile upon my face as my eyes glittered with amusement. A pegasus would be a great addition.

Perhaps I could figure out his personality through the interactions that I was going to be witnessing before my eyes rather than lurking in the shadows. And then my eyes were locking upon the mare who had fallen into the conversation with the offer for the "assassins." I couldn't help but to laugh. "My dear. you have your hands full with a child. Perhaps you should make sure she doesn't run off?" I snorted, shaking my head. "I am the leader of The Asylum. We have plenty to come and help offer you a lovely place to live, sir, should you not want to be with those who send a mother and child out to find those to join. It just isn't safe, perhaps they are low on others..." I commented, eyeing the mare. Personally, I would not have brought the young one along had I been going to recruit. It did not help the herd image much at all...

469 words
@[Eribor]
._. 3rd time typing this thing. Everytime I went to post someone else had commented. -headdesk- Sorry if that makes it a little incoherent. >.> <.<
The Asylum
And sorry. Seele is not very nice ._.
SEELE
Credits
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Unregistered

In future telling of what happened that night, I would describe the descent of stars from the starless night, swirling through the dark forest until at last they formed into something coherent and alive, and a winged mare stood before me, her coat a map of the nebulous heavens. Had my past been other than it was, had I not seen the rise and fall of family and home, my reaction to the creature would doubtless have been quite different. Dirt red legs would have crushed confidently into the ground, three easy strides and the distance between us closed. I would grin, two-tone eyes gleaming with flirty mischief, nostrils flaring to catch the delicate femininity of her scent, sweet nocturnal breezes mixed with whiffs of salt and sand. I would have laughed kindly at her words, and murmured that the darkness of this place was nothing when someone as bright and lovely as she was here to guide me.

But I was not that stallion anymore. My kingdom had fallen, and taken with it my heart; never again would I be the boyish High Guardian who looked upon mares and saw only their beauty. In another world, at another time, I would have moved towards her, but the Eribor who stood in the darkened woods did not approach the winged maiden with romance in his heart. No, my breath caught did not catch in my throat, and excitement did not kindle in my eyes. I did not move towards her but held myself still at her approach, wings relaxed and body loose, wondering dimly if she might point me in the direction of somewhere safe. Andromeda, she said her name was- pretty. My neck arched in a formal greeting, head dipping slightly and eyes trained upon her face. I found her mention of the past interesting, curious despite myself to learn why it was this place had been plunged into darkness, if it was not a natural occurrence. I was not given the chance to ask, though, before the space between us was abruptly closed by a tiny figure and a bright blue horn.

Instinct kicked in, and I pulled back, feeling my muscles tense in wary readiness. Where the child had come from and why I had not noticed her was beyond me, but I cursed silently at the eerie darkness that no doubt helped to dull my senses, snorting loudly in the suddenly crowded night. The next one to arrive did not take my by such surprise- I only had to look back the way the child had come to find her mother close behind, pale and worried in the ghostly light. She was not alone, either, but the third stranger had yet to make herself known; I kept an ear turned in the direction of the stranger, trying to pay both them and the new pair mind. The filly was quick to scurry back at her mother's call, a picture of youth and frightened obedience, but I did not relax back into my former illusion of calm. I had been caught off my guard once already, and a soldier should be ever alert. My father would have been ashamed.

Adrixaura seemed harried; she did not wait for me to give my name before spilling into an introduction of herself, her filly, her group, and her desire for the fresh meat I offered. The stream of introduction left my head vaguely numb and my expression stoic. As much as I would have at that point liked a safe place to lay my head, the... grabbiness of this young dam left nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth. Where she got the impression that I had some wish to belong to her I will never know, but I wanted nothing more than to dissuade her of the notion before she could get any more ideas.

She and the other, who at last chose to make an appearance. Another mare (so many mares! What a shame, to waste such loveliness on damaged goods like me), she too did not hesitate to offer house and home, this time pegging herself as a leader of misfits. Misfits, hm? I could certainly qualify for that title. I no longer had a place where I fit, no home to my name, no grass beneath my hooves. I had closed in the Gods who guided me to save them from the fire, and in their prison resided my heart. A painful reminder, but an innocent one, I was sure. Still I found myself liking this mare as much as the other, perhaps less (which was not influenced by the horn on her head, I reminded myself over and again. I am not a racist. Not all unicorns had participated in the destruction of my home. I know this. Unicorns are fine. Relax.) and it was with a diplomatic voice that I finally interjected myself into the conversation.

"You are very kind." It was addressed to all of them, even if Andromeda had not extended her own offer of a home; better to be polite to them all at once than to isolate any with special favor. A group of jealous mares was the last thing I felt any desire to deal with then, when my limbs grew tired with every moment and the cold showed no sign of letting up. "But in truth, all I seek is a safe place to take haven. I would not wish to impose upon any of you for long." The deep rumble of my voice sounded strange against my own ears. How long had it been since I spoke to another? Days? Moons? Seasons? I honestly could not have told them with any confidence, had they asked.

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
Andromeda is soon joined by others, mares coming to him like moths to flame, and immediately the two offer up their names and vomit up invitations to their outcast herds. She resists the urge to roll her eyes. It would be impolite, she realizes, but nevertheless they speak so quickly, as if worried the other might simply steal him away, that she finds it ruffling her feathers. For goodness' sake, he isn't a strand of pearls to hang about their necks, a trophy to polish, or a field to claim!

Of course she lets nothing change her calm demeanor.

Assassins, the appaloosa announces grandly and hurriedly. Andromeda watches her growl at her, ears flicking back in surprise as she warns of not touching her precious foal. Naturally, the young mare would never dream of hurting a child... did she truly look that wicked to the other? So evil, so conniving, that Adrixaura had to snarl and snap like the cat whose tail has been stepped on? It stung her pride, created a bitter taste in her throat. "I wouldn't think to hurt any child. I do not mean to be presumptuous, but these are not safe times; would you not be better perhaps living somewhere safer than in the wilds? There are many villains and vagabonds who roam the Threshold of our land- present company excused." Andromeda tipped her head gracefully towards the stallion who has not offered his name. Then she continues onwards, feeling ashamed of the fact that despite her generally quiet nature, she has quite a tendency to ramble when she opens her mouth. "There is no need to be rude, Seele." She said more quietly, studying the strangely-marked mare, a bit of a hard set to her jaw. Kri would need to be told of the Asylum, especially if they were recruiting.

He thanks them for their kindness; yet Andromeda only feels a twinge of pity for him, having to listen to three bickering mares arguing over him like a piece of meat. "Isn't that what we all seek? I did not want to push more... choices onto you, so quickly after entering a new country, and what may even seem like a new world. I believe I am the only one here who truly belongs to what is called a herdland; the Dragon Throat. I am confident my leaders will welcome you, if you are willing to come; and there are other herdlands I can guide you to if you would only like refuge from the winter chills for a short amount of time."
AndromedA
image credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Adrixaura Posts: N/A
Unregistered

A d r i x a u r a
hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die,
then life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
Children always have some type of curiousity, and as Adrixaura stared up the winged mare who Sikeax was steady investigating, another voice went through the area with a hateful tone. The blood in her veins automatically surged with fire and sparks shot down to the black flame inside her chest. Habit makes her a hateful creature, though with her prized child, she must make sure to keep herself in check. While Sikeax stands near the winged mare, her own small pale blue eyes looking over the mare with the beautiful pelt, the sound of "ooooooo" escapes her rounded lips. She likes to gaze over the beautiful, and give them compliments, yet as her mother calls her over in a soft, caring tone that mothers have special in their hearts just for their children, the child returns without complaint.
Adrixaura keeps her pale blue eyes upon the new mare, an Unicorn who doesn't seem to know how to hold her tongue from being rude (Adri, shut the fuck up. You're just as rude. No complaints, girlfriend. It's against the rules now), she finds herself hating the new mare more and more. The flame roasts the inside of her chest where the heart she carries for her daughter burns heavy. When the girl lays her head upon her mother's chest to listen for a heartbeat so reassurance when the other mare is being a 'bitch', or as far as her daughter would think (her mother was agreeing with the thought towards the Unicorn), a giggle slips her lips. Her mother, black mane flowing over her ears and head, lowers her head to her child's level and listens as her daughter whispers the reason of the giggles into her ear. The spotted mare laughs softly and nods her head before preparing herself to speak in a calm tone, just for the sake of her daughter.
"Sikeax is with me only because I care to make sure that in times like these, she stays close to me." Her voice has a certain pinch of hatred to it, and if you're listening carefully, is the bitch slap the mare who called herself Seele needed. The direction of her head and eyesight is moved when she raises her head, and looks towards the winged stallion, eyes watching the other mares with careful attention while she attempts to soothe a black flame. "Vagabonds and Villians that you speak of, Andromeda, are every where. We aren't free of them, and inside your coziness of the herd lands, protected homes of the Gods if you might say, you live in relaxation where you might as well roll over upon your backs, and sunbathe. In the wilds, we have strength, and are aware of our strength. We choose to be outcasts to escape the posh life style of the members of herdlands. The earth in the wilds is stony and tough, like it's inhabitiants. We have strength, and know of it. Tell me, Andromeda, does the Dragon's Throat that you reek of have strength that is earned, or is it gained in laziness when a God gives to it to you while you dance around on your hind legs like a dog begging for a treat?"
She catches her breath, relaxes herself. There is still anger inside her. There is the want to scream so many hateful things at the laziness of the winged mare. The horned one, other than her daughter, was the one she had such hateful thoughts toward, yet as the stallion speaks, she nods her head in politeness towards him. Her daughter follows suit, her young attempts at politeness hopefully going noticed. She tries.
Sikeax's eyes trail the stars before she looks to the stallion, and smiles softly. The hybrid filly has her personal child innocence that has always worked well for her, and as she makes eye contact with her mother, receives a nod from her mother as permission to speak.
"Excuse me, but I'm terribly sorry for my actions earlier. I'm not used to meeting winged horses like you, and didn't mean to scare you. Andromeda, you're very beautiful and polite as I might please compliment. Yet, Seele, I wish you were much more polite. Already, I've agreed with myself that I don't like you." Her eyes go to her mother, gleaming with joy and content, ready to receive praise from her mother, only to receive an annoyied and dumbfounded face from her mother. "Ugh. Excuse my compliment towards you, Seele. You're very beautiful as well and I think that maybe I would like you more if you were more polite." This time she smiles towards Seele, hoping for acceptance of her regret for what could be an insult. Her mother, on the other hand, looks upon the winged stallion.
She is piecing him together, wondering if he has a story to tell and the skills to be good in the Assassins. There is thin thoughts as of her daughter's comments to the others, but there is curiousity to this one. The Assassins are small, though they hold a golden idea.
For others who cannot receive justice to receive it.
"Excuse my daughter. She has much to learn. Yet, as the others have spoken of their homes, I have something to ask before I can give you some information of our home. May I ask of your name? We have all presented our's without caring to ask of your personal calling." Yes, she is getting the politeness down, but outside the lurking of her child, she is a different mare. Manipulation is such an amazing talent she has learned to arm herself with.
"Now, onward. The Assassins are an outcast group existing within the Frozen Arch. All of our members are our family, where as we would give every strand of our manes and tails to help another. Our goal is simple. To give justice to those who cannot receive it without asking for something in return. Now, would you care if I might tell you of the current issue as of the lack of Moon, stars, and daytime
"We do have everything that is normal with the world outside of her. The Gods have left to take care of an issue at the moment, and with them went the cycle of the days, seasons, Moon, stars, Sun, et cetera. They will return to us at some point. Our magic, which is gained once given out by the Gods themselves, has left with them. When the Gods return, all shall be the same. Is this understanding enough for you?"
Her voice might as well crack, as much as the rambler as she was. When a sigh, relentless for a breath of air, breaks out of her, her daughter giggles. Children......

OOC: Excuse Adri's rambling. Also, I'm terribly sorry for holding y'all up.

image credits
table by whit

Reizend Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 hh :: 7 (ages in Orangemoon)
rooster
Reizend

It has been many dark days and darker nights since my arrival in this land, though one can hardly tell the difference between the two anymore. How long had I been here, truly? Days? Weeks? Months? Did I nap at midnight, or sleep at noon? In times such as these one comes to understand just how little the passage of time truly matters; perhaps we are even happier without the sun to guide our days, to define our lives. With his presence we fall into such strict guidelines: we sleep when he sets, and wake when he rises, and eat when he is high in the sky, and dream when he is far below the ground. Without his light we are able to do as we please, when we please, and is that not the true meaning of freedom? And yet we lament his passing as though he were a dear friend, known among us as a kind, gentle spirit with hardly an unjust word to spare.

I have seen worse things in my life than the disappearance of the gods, and so as I wander through the darkness, I am not afraid. My usual meandering is aimless, for all I seek are souls to invite into our little family (I say 'little' hesitantly, for we have grown and shall continue to do so), but on this day - night? - I move with purpose across the land, my cantering hooves beating a brown waltz across my vision. There is little else to disturb my run: the occasional twitter from a bird as I run past, vibrant and fleeting; the quick snap of a limb bending too far a flash of darkness across an even darker landscape. The colours are ordinary, and for once I am glad, for it is so much easier to ignore that which I see every day. I am on the lookout for someone very specific, having been sent to fetch her by Eris.

I was told that Seele had come to the Threshold, and I am not disappointed, finding her among a small group surrounding a stallion without the scent of our realm on him. I glance over him emotionlessly as I arrive by my half-sister's side, staying close enough to show that we were of the same harem, and yet not so close as to provoke her wrath. My gaze continues around the little circle, my brows raising slightly at the sight of a young flicka in our midst. I do so wish that I could remark on the oddity, but it simply will not do to keep Seele waiting now that I have interrupted. "You are needed in the marsh, my sister," I tell her softly, the term of endearment springing easily to my lips, for she is indeed my brethren now whether she knows the extent of it or not. "Eris asks that you come at once. Might I be of service here, in your place?" She gives her consent and departs, and so I am left in the presence of strangers.

I am not privy to the conversation that has taken place prior to my arrival, but if I assume correctly, the steed has been offered at least two, and potentially three, different homes. I am not yet so familiar with these lands that I can place the scents of the other mares, but one smells of heat and sand, and the other of nothing in particular. I make a mental note to ask about the geography, and then set to my current task. "I apologize for the interruption," I say in a silken purr. "My name is Reizend, of the Asylum that Seele no doubt mentioned." Now that I have taken a moment to look at the mares, I can tell that one, at least, is on edge, no doubt because of my half-sister's charms. A small part of me wonders if I might apologize for her behavior, but I decide against it. She clearly cannot be worthy if she is stupid enough to wonder with a babe in tow, and I would not undo the image that Seele wished to portray of herself. Besides, I can't say that I care very much, anyway. "And you are?" My question is primarily directed toward the stallion, but it is left open, so the mares might have the opportunity to speak as well.

"You have no doubt been offered several homes, but might I just say this: what we have in the Asylum is more than just protection, more than just a name. We have a family. We have a support system. We all care for one another and would do anything for one another, and in how many lands can you truly say that about each and every one of your peers? We do not leave anyone out, nor behind; everyone is provided for. I do hope that you will give our home all due consideration."

"Talk talk talk."

[OOC | abba asked me to take this thread over for her, as she will be going on absent and doesn't want to hold anything up. I have her permission to play Seele leaving, and from this point on I will be the voice of the Asylum here. You may skip Seele and continue. :3 ]

Unregistered

I began to grow impatient.

They bickered on and on, and for a time it seemed I would never escape their endless tirade. Not one of them seemed to take cue from my words, or even to pay me much mind. Andromeda criticized Adrixaura's choices; the silver mare shot back something about laziness and Gods, which would have interested me had I not been so intent on tuning the women out. That the Earth was followed here would have been hugely valuable information for me to glean; it would have caused my actions to be significantly different, would have prevented my temper from rising to the level I am shamed to say it did. Though, thinking back on the evening, I have to doubt my own words. Would knowledge of the Earthen God's existence in this land have prevented my anger? Would anything?

I was drawn out of my anxious reverie by the child's voice. The small thing was the only forgivable one in this damn mess, the only innocent; I tilted my head towards her, willing to give a moment of my patience to the filly's words. Compliments for me and for Andromeda, yet before I could thank her came the mother's poison, dripping and obnoxious from that silky maw. The way she asked left me more on edge that I should have liked to admit - was she attempting to point out their own mistakes, or had she accused me of witholding? Did she really care? Of course not, I snarled silently, but nothing showed on my face. I confess it was a struggle to keep the irritation from creeping into my tone as I responded shortly, "Eribor." I hoped she would be content with the answer, because she was unlikely to glean more information from me.

It was not enough. For someone who looked to be in such a hurry, she certainly took her time in describing the group of misfits she led. Assassins, an arch, more half-baked information about their gods. How much of it was for my benefit, and how much was merely boasting for the sake of the other mares present? I grunted a soft response to her final question, letting my irritation loose by shifting my weight, rolling my muscles, flicking my long tail at invisible flies. She, Andromeda, Seele- all seemed to have completely missed my words, and now manners drilled into me from colthood dictated that I was trapped here in the midst of these fighting bitches.

My patience was growing thin, indeed.

And then, as I began to feel I truly could take no more, it happened. Another one arrived. Blue and white and very lovely, the unicorn was something I would have admired on another night. The only mercy she offered was in sending Seele away; yet she took no time in replacing the red smeared vixen, her cold purr a grating knife upon my ears. She asked my name, but indirectly, and in an unusual lapse of chivalry I chose to ignore her question. She had come too late to see nice Eribor, and would be left only with the torn up scraps, the result of the bickering trio. Another offer of a home I could never enjoy, of a family of misfits and monsters who meant nothing, nothing, to someone who had once felt real bonds. Did these creatures truly think they could replace what I had lost? That any of them, the swarmy sluts, could ever, ever, even hope to fill the void left by the death of my people?

"Enough."

It came out as a dangerous hiss, quivering in the darkened air. If I had seen myself then I would have found a frightening reflection, one of crazed eyes and an erect hairline, muscles tensed and nostrils flared. My heavy hooves tore furious furrows into the earth as I spoke, anger pouring from my chest in demonic waves of pain. "Thank you for you kindness, but in all honestly- fuck off. I do not want your homes, your families. Believe me, I feel no longing to belong to you. You lurk here and descend upon the unwary like harpies, and then expect me to offer you some form of respect?"

I was panting lightly, my tail lashing behind my rump. But now that I'd begun, I was not going to let them off with a slap on the wrist. I took a breath before continuing, softer now but just as furious. "You don't know me. You have made no attempt to know me. You don't know what I am, what I'm done. Why am I here? Perhaps I killed a stallion. Maybe two. Perhaps my whole family is dead, and the fault is mine. You call Adrixaura a fool for bringing a child to this place, yet you have all put yourself at risk, and isolated your only potential allies with cruel words and baseless hatred. You are all fools, and I would rather find my way alone than cast my lot in with you."

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Low, warm laughter filled the air, filtering from the shadows beneath the trees of the Threshold. A dark figure, colored in monochromatic hues, untangled herself from the deep darkness beneath a small grove of trees and approached the mismatched group. The grulla mare walked with an air of authority, body marked with scars of battle and of fire, her dark eyes alight with unhidden humor.

"You are right to find ire towards some who flock here, winged one. Grasping at fragile straws to boost their numbers to fight their losing causes, without a concern for what truly suits the needs and wants of the stranger who has stumbled into Helovia. Others are genuinely interested in finding the best fit, such as myself."

Lips curving in a smile, half welcoming and half wry, she dismissed the presence of the others in favor of focusing on the stallion. "You stand upon the Threshold of Helovia, good sir. The lands were formed by the Gods, who are unfortunately absent due to circumstances beyond even their control, but leave behind four herdlands which each has their patron. In the far north is the Aurora Basin, patron land of the God of the Spark, and inhabited by a group of unicorns who do not appreciate the presence of equines and pegasi. South of that, actually just north and west of here, is the Windtossed Foothills, patron land of the God of the Earth, home to the mercenary group known as the Grey who accept followers of all species, but of a specific lifestyle. If you have done what you have proposed you might have done, that may be a place for you to look. West of that, upon the cliffs beside the sea is the lands of the God of the Moon, the World's Edge. It is home to a group called the Qian, who accept those of any species or creed, and is actually where I hail from. And in the deep south is the Dragon's Throat, land of the God of the Sun, inhabited by a group of pegasi such as yourself, but who also accept the stray equine or unicorn that meet the approval of their leader."

She paused there, to gather her breath. "As you already know, there are outcast bands as well. And the connections between the different herdlands and the outcasts bands are not always ones wrought of rainbows and butterflies. Edge and Throat are allied by longstanding ties founded when both groups were outcast bands themselves. Basin stands aloof, disapproving of all and with tension between themselves and the Edge and Throat, for the Qian wrested the Edge from the unicorns that now dwell in the Basin. The Foothills stand between, neutral to their politics except when the bargains to be struck are good. There is... tension between the Assassins and the Edge as well, for they have proclaimed a number of times to have aspirations to the Moon's lands." She chuckled then, casting an amused glance at Adrixaura. "But they have had one leader die under our watchful gaze, and two others are captives under the watch of our protectors. Yet they seem incapable of learning from their mistakes and keep scrabbling at the Edge borders, threatening the well-being of their members by irritating the Edge and the Throat. I know naught of the Asylum, for they as yet remain content to wander the wild lands."

Her gaze had returned to Eribor, inclining her head to him. "The choice is yours, good sir. You know all there is to know of the lands here and the politics amongst them. Will you seek admittance within one of the three herds that will accept you? Or will you choose the life of outcast, with or without a pre-existing band? You have only to say who you will follow, or walk your own path. If you wish to try your chances with the Foothills, I will gladly accompany you and introduce you to the leaders there. I know them."

Pausing, the grulla mare seemed to realize that she had neglected to introduce herself. "I am Smoke the Wild Rose, Moon Doctor of the Edge, once Military Chieftess of the Foothills before yet more politics required I find a safer home for myself and my children." With that she fell silent, though she retained the sense of quiet authority, now explained by her revelation of holding positions of authority and respect within two different herds at different times.

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
She doesn't want to fight, not surrounded by company and a foal, yet the mare picks at her nerves. No matter how steely and patient Andromeda may be, her patience thins. Instead of focusing on a snappy retort, she stays silent; if the naive mare believes this is a triumph, than let her think so. The Dragon Throat is a strong home, and she has never known a single soul to be weaker than the iron walls protecting it. For a moment, the pegasus mare half-wishes she could throw it in Adrixaura's face, that no matter how strong the Assassins supposedly are, they are too weak to compete with any herd. Yet she would take the higher road; there would be no need today to fight to defend her supposed honor; no need to fight, or battle, in the winter when horses were starved and death stalked among them all. Instead, the ebony feathers upon her starry wings rustle silently in a ghost of a murmur, and she turns her head.

The blood-stained mare is replaced by another, she too who repeats words wasted on the stallion's hardening face. When he spits words from his mouth, acidic and hot, Andromeda cannot claim she is surprised. For a moment, she teeters on the edge of hot anger- she hadn't tried to push a choice on him, hadn't she said that? But she didn't bother forming the words.

She opens her mouth to speak, "cool as a cucumber", when yet another mare appears. The star-spangled pegasus resists the urge to heave a great deep sigh in her chest, as the mare offers yet another home as Eribor had precisely asked them not to. Was it so difficult to understand the meaning of 'fuck off'? This mare is an ambassador of the World's Edge, heralding promises of offering family to the stallion who just shunned the promises given. Andromeda understood this; she didn't have to like it, but she understood it, how he was angry, even if she didn't understand why.

For another long moment she mulled it over.

"Eribor, I can say I understand why you're angry." she began- a little smile curled her lips, genuine and soft and small- "I do understand, some of it. We are just jumping onto you, aren't we? I apologize. I'm sorry; I've never been thrown to the wolves before, with none at my back or at my flanks. I'm not going to try and pull you to my side, march you back to my home. I'm not a fool, Eribor; I wouldn't bring you back without getting to know you along the journey. I wouldn't think to put my herd in possible danger." She pauses, her starry features somber. "I will accompany you, get to know you, if you would allow me; maybe you can even find a friend in me." It was then she turned on her smile, full wattage, but it wasn't cheap or plastic.
AndromedA
image credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Normally I would have waited, have given them a chance to make their apologies and reclaim face. Not because I wanted any sort of apology from the women - far from it. I couldn't care less for anything more the mares had to say. With the conclusion of my outburst came the conclusion of my interest, any keenness I might have felt for my group of acquaintances utterly lost in the mess of their bickering. No, I would have waited because it was the polite thing to do, and if nothing else, I had been raised a gentleman. Far be it from me to rob another of their chance at redemption, the opportunity to scramble for lost dignity. I would have waited in patience, expression stoic but ears perked forward politely.

I turned away from them, shaking the rage from my face, eyes set in the direction where I assumed I would find the edge of the forest, outside of this dismal land. I had lost enough in my life, this chance at a new land would make no difference in the pool of my missed chances, the memories I had never managed to form. I owed these mares nothing, after all, and they would doubtless forget me the moment I departed. My anger had helped the adrenaline I'd thought I lost resurface in my veins. I did not look back as my hooves beat slow and steady into the ground, one step away, then two, then three. I did not look back until suddenly a new voice entered into the darkness of our clearing, and I felt myself freeze in horror as I realized it was another mare.

Really, you ask? Yes. Really. I had no idea what I'd done to anger the gods of this place so, but it must have been something dreadful, because they were having the time of their lives tormenting me.

Others are genuinely interested in finding the best fit, like me. In my already aggravated state, it only took three sentences for me to decide that she was just as bad as the others, this grulla who I'd made the mistake of turning back to see. There was something in the way she held herself, too, some misplaced sense of superiority that she obviously felt over these mares. I wanted to ask what made her better, but the question would serve no purpose except to vent my own ire. She went on, though, deciding that I needed a lesson in geography, explaining that this place I had found myself trapped in was called Helovia, that I was on some Threshold, that there were patron gods. Why? I had not asked for this information, yet she seemed to think herself a queen for giving it. I sighed, and turned away again, not caring that she was in the middle of her speech. I needed to get away from here.

I stretched my wings pointedly, and braced for flight. It was Andromeda who made me hesitate, her voice a quiet point of sincerity in the dismal dark. I wanted to ignore her, I really did, yet part of me held back. In all of this she had been the only one with a nature that approached being enjoyable, the only one who was not wantonly greedy or bitchy or callous. Gold-green eyes turned to her, still hard but not hateful. I can't say that I appreciated her offer of company, because in truth I really just wanted to run from them as quickly as I could, but I still acknowledged it. A dip of my head to her brilliant smile, gruff and silent but the most she could ever hope for.

And then I leapt, earthen form taking to the air in one great bound. Damn mares could stay behind and continue their conversation; I was done, and gone, and free.

I did not realize that I had completely missed the exit of this land. Too late I would find that instead of back into the wilderness, I was flying straight to the Thistle Meadow. But that's a story for another time, I suppose.