the Rift

lightless

Eribor Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

In future telling of what happened that night, I would describe the descent of stars from the starless night, swirling through the dark forest until at last they formed into something coherent and alive, and a winged mare stood before me, her coat a map of the nebulous heavens. Had my past been other than it was, had I not seen the rise and fall of family and home, my reaction to the creature would doubtless have been quite different. Dirt red legs would have crushed confidently into the ground, three easy strides and the distance between us closed. I would grin, two-tone eyes gleaming with flirty mischief, nostrils flaring to catch the delicate femininity of her scent, sweet nocturnal breezes mixed with whiffs of salt and sand. I would have laughed kindly at her words, and murmured that the darkness of this place was nothing when someone as bright and lovely as she was here to guide me.

But I was not that stallion anymore. My kingdom had fallen, and taken with it my heart; never again would I be the boyish High Guardian who looked upon mares and saw only their beauty. In another world, at another time, I would have moved towards her, but the Eribor who stood in the darkened woods did not approach the winged maiden with romance in his heart. No, my breath caught did not catch in my throat, and excitement did not kindle in my eyes. I did not move towards her but held myself still at her approach, wings relaxed and body loose, wondering dimly if she might point me in the direction of somewhere safe. Andromeda, she said her name was- pretty. My neck arched in a formal greeting, head dipping slightly and eyes trained upon her face. I found her mention of the past interesting, curious despite myself to learn why it was this place had been plunged into darkness, if it was not a natural occurrence. I was not given the chance to ask, though, before the space between us was abruptly closed by a tiny figure and a bright blue horn.

Instinct kicked in, and I pulled back, feeling my muscles tense in wary readiness. Where the child had come from and why I had not noticed her was beyond me, but I cursed silently at the eerie darkness that no doubt helped to dull my senses, snorting loudly in the suddenly crowded night. The next one to arrive did not take my by such surprise- I only had to look back the way the child had come to find her mother close behind, pale and worried in the ghostly light. She was not alone, either, but the third stranger had yet to make herself known; I kept an ear turned in the direction of the stranger, trying to pay both them and the new pair mind. The filly was quick to scurry back at her mother's call, a picture of youth and frightened obedience, but I did not relax back into my former illusion of calm. I had been caught off my guard once already, and a soldier should be ever alert. My father would have been ashamed.

Adrixaura seemed harried; she did not wait for me to give my name before spilling into an introduction of herself, her filly, her group, and her desire for the fresh meat I offered. The stream of introduction left my head vaguely numb and my expression stoic. As much as I would have at that point liked a safe place to lay my head, the... grabbiness of this young dam left nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth. Where she got the impression that I had some wish to belong to her I will never know, but I wanted nothing more than to dissuade her of the notion before she could get any more ideas.

She and the other, who at last chose to make an appearance. Another mare (so many mares! What a shame, to waste such loveliness on damaged goods like me), she too did not hesitate to offer house and home, this time pegging herself as a leader of misfits. Misfits, hm? I could certainly qualify for that title. I no longer had a place where I fit, no home to my name, no grass beneath my hooves. I had closed in the Gods who guided me to save them from the fire, and in their prison resided my heart. A painful reminder, but an innocent one, I was sure. Still I found myself liking this mare as much as the other, perhaps less (which was not influenced by the horn on her head, I reminded myself over and again. I am not a racist. Not all unicorns had participated in the destruction of my home. I know this. Unicorns are fine. Relax.) and it was with a diplomatic voice that I finally interjected myself into the conversation.

"You are very kind." It was addressed to all of them, even if Andromeda had not extended her own offer of a home; better to be polite to them all at once than to isolate any with special favor. A group of jealous mares was the last thing I felt any desire to deal with then, when my limbs grew tired with every moment and the cold showed no sign of letting up. "But in truth, all I seek is a safe place to take haven. I would not wish to impose upon any of you for long." The deep rumble of my voice sounded strange against my own ears. How long had it been since I spoke to another? Days? Moons? Seasons? I honestly could not have told them with any confidence, had they asked.

Messages In This Thread
lightless - by Eribor - 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: lightless - by Andromeda - 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: lightless - by Adrixaura - 07-18-2013, 06:22 PM
RE: lightless - by Seele - 07-18-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: lightless - by Eribor - 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: lightless - by Andromeda - 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: lightless - by Adrixaura - 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
RE: lightless - by Reizend - 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: lightless - by Eribor - 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM
RE: lightless - by Smoke - 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
RE: lightless - by Andromeda - 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM