the Rift

[OPEN] [Endless Night] From the heart of the world

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The first sensation is the hooves of Onni using the monster's arm like a stepping stool, but drawing no blood despite her best efforts. The flesh upon the legs is tougher, after all.

A swarm of creatures begin to flit arond the face of the monster. Enraged, the beast begins to flail his face, throwing off the aim of several. Ampere's well aimed attack for the left eye is shifted to the bridge of its face, cutting the flesh which begins to pour lava-like blood. Vikram's bite is therefore pushed to the back of the skull, gushing more seething hot blood into his mouth as the flesh tears open, revealing glowing muscular tissue underneath. Gaucho's assault upon his eye lands instead upon the right cheekbone, sparing the eye but tearing a mean looking cut along the massive face, with Mara's poison spilling into the gash.

Still tossing its head madly, the monster unleashes another geyser of flame from its mouth, aiming for the creatures soaring around its head, but having no specific target with the disorienting affects of blind hatred. Somewhere between the flames, Tinek appears, his four claws succeeding in tearing loose the left eye, a black orb which is hot like a flickering fire. The lizard monster screeches with displeasure, and in an attempt to defend itself, pores of skin on its back enlarge, toxic smoke spewing from the craters which form into small, lizard like forms. The smoke is scathingly hot to touch, and it chases after all those around it, trying to choke them and burn the flesh of his attackers. Roskuld would likely end up entangled in the smoke unless she thought fast, her horn striking down but missing the vertebrae from the simple dumb luck of the monsters swaying just as she pushes her horn through his flesh. A few peripheral nerves to the left, back leg are cut, but no serious nerve damage is done.

Onni's hooves pound into his neck, then, a massive blow which nearly cuts a major artery. Still, blood pours out toward her, burning any flesh it lands upon. At the same moment, Ophelia's horn enlarges the wound she already inflicted, revealing a massive rib and pulsating muscle underneath. The lizard swipes his ar halfheartedly toward her, hoping the long claws will catch her legs and pull her down.

Ampere's flight around the face of the beast distracts his only eye, making a clean pathway for Suli to soar in and attack the sensitive, small ear of the lizard. Desperately, the monster lifts a paw to his wounded ear, trying to smash the small dragon inflicting the damage. Destrier's hooves meet the side of the monster, leaving a bruise but breaking no flesh, likely bouncing him back from the elasticity of the skin in the region.

The griffon of Hespera's is knocked to the side by the swing of the lizard's head, possibly leaving the creature to careen completely out of the sky. Meanwhile, the griffon's master slips steathly underneath the best, but she would find no way to break the tough, durable scaling underneath the monster with such a puny horn. At best, she leaves a small, dermal cut, which stings with the cold air but does little actual damage. Lastly, Kahlua's body slam is met with resilient flesh, but with the force upon which she strikes the monster, it would leave a bruise the size of her ass - quite impressive.

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

A M P E R E

| pegasus | mare | 3 years | 14 hands |

The first thing Ampere takes note of is the victorious sensation of flesh giving way under her hooves. It feels not much different from horse hide, but it is thicker and rougher with its scales.
Oh yeah and it bleeds lava.

After the brief moment of victory, Ampere plummets into searing agony as the molten fire sizzles against her hooves. It eats away at the outer wall and misshapes the well worn angle of her hoof which will make landings harder than even she knows. Blood wells at her toes where the wall is most eaten back, bringing a cry of despair that only intensifies as the magma spills over her coronet band and gnaws at her fetlock region. All the hair dissolved in a wisp of smoke while underneath the skin and muscle cracked and fried, peeling away black and dead or red and raw.

Feathered wings beat the air into submission as Ampere yanked herself away from the bleeding monstrosity, her angle jarred as she had planned on pushing off with her hind hooves, a plan she abandoned the moment her front hooves literally began burning off - no need to risk her rear end as well.

Because of this her escape is not as agile and the flailing head knocks her side, sending her plummeting towards the inflamed ground below. Mercifully she misses the flamethrower the beasts unleashes soon after.
With her wings not in ill repair Ampere cuts through the wind with some tilting and turning of her appendages, allowing her to pull up before she kissed the dirt and ash beneath.

Furiously she climbed back up, higher and higher, but she kept a healthy distance for now, still nursing her wounds and the chaos of nearly falling. A bruise was forming on her side where the beast had struck her; the muscles already had a tightening sensation as they swelled and cells died off. Each stroke of her right wing pulled it taut and sent a new wave of sensation over her nerves, but it was easy to ignore compared to the raging pain in her front hooves. Unlike the 'burn' of electricity that left one feeling numb and cold, the lava made her feel as if the flame still burned. Though her legs were clean of any magma residue it felt as though her traumatized skin recalled the process and replayed it like a cruel memory.

The frenzy of movement and bursts of flame below eventually call Ampere's shaky attention back to the battle, just in time to see Tinek yank free the beast's eye she'd been going for. That seems to serve as a catalyst for the monster's rage as his spine unleashes a foul cloud that Ampere can only assume is not wise to mix with - it seems different from regular fire-smoke. Not willing to get too close to the beast and his blood so soon Ampere nonetheless drops in closer, tilting back and strenuously beating her wings in swift tempo. Sweat beads along her nape and soon forms a lather, the effort to stay aloft while trying to clear the toxic cloud a difficult feat for an animal not of the most aerodynamic design. She aims to roll the cloud off the rear of the animal, knowing many are concentrated around the head and not wanting to inadvertently place more of them in harm. Eventually fatigue forces her to abandon her attempt, bringing her to circle around the monster in what seems a great enough radius to avoid damage.

As she moves she catches blurs of colors that are the others, small and frail, darting around the monster. Some she recognizes and silently roots for, but most she can't be bothered to focus on, save for the smallest of them all.
In the fray the flash of silver (Tinek), green (Suli) and white (Otienu) seize Ampere's heart with terror as she watches such tiny, caged animals be sent to their doom against the behemoth. If she felt insignificant against him what feelings must they harbor?
None Ampere thinks with a sharp dissatisfaction. They know only the emotion of their bonded, and with all of them fighting the adrenaline and battle intent coursed through the small companions as well. They charged into battle with little say in the matter, their hearts controlled by a cruel and unfair magic that Ampere was still struggling to understand.

In one instance the monster's head connects with the plucky little griffon and Ampere screeches out in dismay. She tosses back her own concerns, the pain of her hooves momentarily forgotten as wings tuck to her side and she looses from the sky like an arrow aimed for the feathered cat. Would she reach Otineu in time to grab her before she splattered on the ground? Ampere could only hope as she flared her wings before her fate was similar, using her back and the angle of her wings as a cradle for the poor creature.

[Ampere is burned on her front hooves to her fetlocks badly by the eye lava. She is knocked and bruised by the head on her left side, nearly falling to the ground, but flies off and away to safety.
She comes in closer and tries to blow away the toxic smoke with a breeze made from her wings, but soon tires. She then bolts to save Otineu as the griffon is knocked by the monster's head.]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Agggh, dammit!

The monster bucked under me, slithered away from the tip of my horn. I didn’t feel my horn penetrate bone; didn’t feel some sort of crunching scrape that told me I had hit my intended target. The same hatred I felt before rushed up inside me, the fury of this thing in my house, breaking up my things and my people—

Like my Ma, for one thing.

I pulled my horn from the monster’s back, and I felt a sick kind of satisfaction of seeing a viscousy, fleshy bits stick to it (I know, it’s gross, I don’t know), but it didn’t last long. Billowing clouds of black smoke began to issue from the monster’s back, and bells and whistles went off in my head, telling me to RUN, SAVE YOUR DUMBASS. But my head was harder than my instinct, much harder than the common sense of running from potential danger, and I had the deluded idea of standing my ground in front of these black clouds of soot and evil, and that was a horrible idea because ow oww OW OWW. OW. OKAY. OW.

OW.

NO.

JEEZ—OWW.

GET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

My body reacted to my deepest wish, because fuck that. I don’t know what was in those black fumes or whatever, but they hurt like a bitch and my chest was already achy without the added sting of something, and I didn’t need that mess. So my shock reacted, and I felt the same zip-spark and the sensation of traveling super-duper mega fast—

But—

But—

Something went wrong. I could feel it fail, feel the crumbling of the spark around me, and suddenly I was several feet in the air, several feet away from where I wanted to be. I wanted to land on the ground, somewhere to the left of the monster and off of its goddamned back; I mostly got what I wanted, but instead of on the ground, I was awkwardly hovering in the air, and then my magic muscles went kaput I guess, and I pretty much just toppled to the ground.

And I stayed there for a moment.

I lay there, panting, gritting my teeth against the sharp pain of the burn on my chest, on my stomach. More aches began to manifest themselves as I lay in the dirt; the screaming thud of my legs from running, the desperate gurgle of my stomach from hunger, the burning in my lungs from exhaustion—all tied neatly together with the steady throb of my midriff from the lizard’s tail. I wanted to lay my head down; for a few seconds, I contemplated staying there, and letting my body be broken while I let the others fight for me. I let the idea of being a child again wash over me, to let my beaten body rest while the adults took care of things and cleaned up the mess. I’ll admit, it was a tempting thought; I mean, just a few days ago I was just a child, some dumb little kid with none of this confusion, and fear, and scary anger telling her to do what’s right, when right and wrong never made sense to her in the first place. I just…I was so tired, man. I just wanted to take a break.

I wanted to.

But then I looked up, and saw Ma fighting, and that was the decision made for me, wasn’t it? I wasn’t allowed to be a child. I wasn’t allowed this weakness anymore. I had to be strong. For Ma. Or whatever.

“Let’s do this,” I breathed to myself, the only pep talk I was gonna get, the only one I needed. I shook the pain off (Of course it wasn’t actually gone, it’s a mental thing okay? Shut up) and made my way to my feet, throwing my mane to get some of the nervous energy back up and running. As soon as my cloven feet hit the ground, I made my way back to the monster—slowly at first, gaining speed as I took in the complete and utter chaos that consumed the scene. So many others fighting, getting hurt, defending their land; what could I do to possibly protect these people? Who was I to protect them? My eyes spotted Ma, though, going nuts on the monster’s side, and I guess if I was gonna protect anyone, it might as well be Ma. Considering there was a giant foot coming her way, I guess.

With a snort, I put a burst power into my gallop, possibly the last burst I had left. I aimed my horn once more for the lizard, this time aimed for the claw that reached for Ma, all kinds of fire droplets falling around me like some sort of meteor shower. Miraculously, none of them hit me; my focus was set on the foot with all them long claws, desperate for my horn to pierce its softer hide, determined that his nails wouldn’t pierce mine.

[Is hit and burned in the chest and stomach by the black clouds; attempts to warp away, but her magic fails halfway through and falls a few feet to the ground away from the monster. Contemplates life, gets up, and rushes to Ophelia’s aid, aiming to attack and stab the foot that’s making its way toward Ophelia.]

Roskuld</style>
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
WENT THE DISTANCE, NOW I'M NOT GONNA STOP.
JUST A MAN AND HIS WILL TO SURVIVE.
</style>

Burning smoke fills Gaucho's lungs, as he soars away from yet another attack which has missed it's mark. That equates to 0/2 in the primitive warrior's simple brain; a statistic he is none too happy with. An aggravated grunt escapes his lips, as he is forced to breathe in a full mouthful of what feels like tar, in order to use his massive wings to propel himself out of the toxic plume.

Gliding around to the creatures left side, where only an ugly open wound signifies where the creature's eye once was, Gaucho fixes upon the severe wound Onni has created on its neck. For a moment, Gaucho envisions another head simply reappearing, should this one be severed, and only continues on with his plan, after receiving a mental don't be an idiot impulse, from Mara. Fangs wide, ready to spit again should Gaucho bring them close enough, Mara hovers energetically in his antlers, having been made mobile by the intense heat of the Heart. Flying towards the creature, though trying to stay in the blindspot caused by the missing eye, Gaucho angles himself so as to try to tear the wound on its neck forward as he flies over, and then kick out and tear the flesh backwards, once he has passed.

His belly immediately feels the heat as he nears, realizing too late to avoid injury, that the blood of the creature appears to be toxic as well. As Mara attempts to spit her poison once again into the wound, Gaucho's simple mind wonders if the painful bubbling sensation on his legs and belly, are what Mara's poison feels like to the creature.

No. Worse. He thought.

He hoped.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier

My kick had landed, but I could feel no give from behind the skin of the beast, likely leaving very little damage in my wake. I was surprised, however, when the body of the lizard seemed to bounce me back, causing my hind to round to the left and nearly forcing me to lose my balance. For a moment I scrambled, hind hooves struggling to find their footing on the ground beneath them. Once I had steadied myself again, I was standing parallel with the enemy, my head facing the monster's own granted it had not moved. Wheeling to the left, I did my best to put some space between us before I could become minced by the lizard's incredibly sharp claws.

Luckily for Suli, the little green could feel the monster's weight shift as it began to lift a front leg, trying desperately to smash her and end her tyranny. Prying her jaws from the creature's poor ear, the dragoness spread her wings and took leave from her location just before their enemy could cause any substantial damage to her small form. The young dragoness flew a short distance from her enemy before tilting to the left, circling tightly back around to face the scene below her. Her violet gaze took in the form of a pale unicorn, her body tainted with strands of red, but it wasn't of blood. She had been successful in ripping the skin of the beast's side, exposing precious muscle.

With the scent of blood filling her nose and the thrill of battle pulsating through her body, Suli pulled her wings close and dove towards the side of the monster to join Ophelia in her attack. A screen of smoke had been expelled from the enemy, filling her lungs with an incredibly uncomfortable feeling, as if choking her. The lizard had swung a leg out to try and bring the unicorn down, but there was nothing the green could do to stop the attack. Instead, she focused on helping to bring the beast down, aiming to latch somewhere onto the skin and begin biting, tearing, anything into the gaping wound present in its side. Maybe she could pull the muscle back from the exposed rib, crawl in and tear its heart out? Even the most simple of bites was difficult, however, for she was short of breath and struggling to stave off the effects of the smoke produced by the lizard.

Although worried, I was confident in the abilities of my young compatriot and began to move forward again. I could see the smoke given off by the lizard, but not yet close enough, I wasn't sure what effects it would have to those that dared to breath it. As I drew closer at a gallop, aiming to put myself with the others at the side of the beast, I drew in the deepest breath that my barrel allowed me at the last second of clean air. A filly of white, adorned with an interesting pattern upon her back had come rushing in, her chiseled horn aimed to pierce the leg going at the white and red mare. I did my best to get to the right side of the mare, intent to join them in the barrage of attacks on the exposed injury.

Rising into a half rear of sorts, I struck out at the muscle if I was able, scraping hooves against it as I assisted in helping to bring the monster down.

[Ew .___.

Suli flies away just as the monster goes to squish her while she's biting his ear. Turns back around in the air, coming back and going for the wound inflincted by Ophelia. Tries to grip onto the loose skin and begins clawing and biting into the exposed muscle while struggling against the toxic gas.

Destrier gets bounced back by his kick but manages to keep his footing. Joins Suli and gang at the monsters side and uses front hooves to tear at the skin/muscle of the lizard.]

Credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
The massive head twisted away from the dragon stallion as he closed with it, diverting his aim to the back of the head. Flesh was rendered beneath his fangs, pouring searingly hot blood into his mouth. Automatically he swallowed, feeling the heat roll down his reinforced throat slowly, slowly. When he pushed away, it coincided with a thrash of the head toward him, propelling the gigantic stallion farther away in his flight over the creature's back.

Fire was spewed from the Salamander's jaws, but was aimed away from Vikram. The bronze steed flew upward to ensure he was out of reach of that banner of flame, intently studying the flailing beast. He grunted as the skin over its back seemed to open up, emitted thick, smokey gas that coalesced into miniature versions of the Salamander. The heat of the smoke filled his wings, aiding his upward climb, and he growled as one cocky smoke-lizard swarmed toward him.

It was then that the molten blood reached his fire belly, igniting the dormant fire within. Devil's blood and god's fire warred inside him, the roiling sensation not unlike the feeling he sometimes got when a meal did not sit well. Up it came, fighting to escape the convines of his belly, until at last the hybrid could resist no longer. Jaws gaped wide as he exhaled forcefully, expelling the unnatural fire.

Blue and white, the flames roared out at the gaseous smoke, searing tender flesh around Vikram's muzzle from the sheer heat. Damn. Don't want to do that again. He grunted and licked his lips to soothe the pain, half expecting the warring fire elements to have ignited the smoke. Boldly he dove, heedless of the threat of the toxic smoke. It expects us to attack from below and the sides now. Perhaps I can sneak in a blow. But he held his breath, eyes narrowed, as he plunged into a repeat of his first attack, aimed for the back of the creature's head.
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia felt the way her horn sliced open the beast again, and she cried out in pain at the sensation of the lava blood burning the area around her forehead near the base of her horn. Alarm bells rang. Tinek had managed to tear out the eye of the creature, and she listening to his strangled cry of triumph as he fought against strange, scalding smoke.

The scales that protected his body scorched and left black marks, making him look like a dark gray dragon with red eyes and horns. Swiftly, the beast curled his legs to his body and brought his wings in, diving quickly and away from the strange, lizard shaped smoke. He was not a fire breather. Not in the least. He could not protect himself as naturally against flame as he could the cold and the spark of shock.

Tinek let out a mournful cry, warning Ophelia to try and avoid the charcoal colored monsters. The distraction was almost fatal. Without Roskuld's movement, the pale mare may not have seen the large hand swipe down at her at all. Instead, she was able to leap most of the way away, looking at the now opened side and wondering how they could exploit this opening.

Why was it doing this? Ophelia tried to enter its mind, staying far enough away from the talons and tails for safety. What she heard was not what she expected. A loud, grinding white noise with a high-pitched whine met her ears, indicating that she did indeed have access to the mind again, but something was interfering with her abilities. The sound was so loud that she cried out, ears pinning against her skull. Finally, she was able to cut off the horrible noise and then launched herself into action, following Vikram's attack on the horse's side to, hopefully, deliver a fatal blow between the ribs.

Image by Yumpy @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

With a small amount of surprise, the air in Ampere's lungs, full of carbon dioxide, manage to halt the smoke monsters in their path. A few of them even disappear all together while the remaining ones latch onto their prey.

As the monster moved to swipe at Ophelia, a sneer on it's toothy face, a little white runt managed to jab her horn up into the fleshy, tender palm. With a growling hiss, the monster removed its hand, shaking its head angrily.

The open flesh on the back of its neck is torn even more as Gaucho manages to latch onto the muscle. Poison from Mara's fangs lands in the wound and it burns an exposed nerve. The beast loses the ability to move forward as it stumbles blindly, muscles in the chest not working how they should.

Another dragon, a horse and a gigantic lizard creature attacks the area Ophelia opened up on the monster's side, moving past ribs and into the delicate and tender organs. Blood and melting guts role past like ooze, burning into the ground and charring the grass.

The final blow, delivered by Ophelia, pierces the monster's second brain, and the heart fails to pump blood anymore. With a groan, the beast falls, twitching as Mara's poison settles into the nervous system.

Congratulations! You have successfully saved Helovia!

Random List: http://images.helovia.net/index.php/view/51fe95bb43ed8

Prizes:
1. Ampere - Sun Magic/Upgrade
2. Ophelia - Custom Item made from scaled hide, bones, teeth, etc of Monster
3. Gaucho - Bottle of Fire Blood & Glowing Marking (red, orange, yellow)
4. Vikram - Bottle of Fire Blood
5. Destrier - Sun Amulet & Glowing Marking (red, orange, yellow)
6. Roskuld - Sun Amulet

These prizes can be applied to other characters and will go into your master/ooc prize list! If you want to apply them to a character now, please do so in the Character Records Updates thread in the Updates Board.