the Rift

[OPEN] Thawing Frozen Bones [Penguin, Acceptance]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

The going had been slow, but here they were at last- the border of the World's Edge. Just beyond the border one of the Dragon Heart's fire's burned, providing warmth in the endless snow. Kahlua had purposefully led the mare she guided to this place, trying to show her the fire she had spoken of at the Threshold. Besides that, she wanted to warm this mare's blood. The poor girl had been falling over frozen when Kahlua first came upon her and it may very well have been life or death to stand beside this fire. Though the fire was still 30 yards off, the warmth radiated outward, reaching to the border.

“For now, we can go no further,” she said patiently to her painted compaion. As they stood here, Kahlua thought back to the history the painted unicorn had given her. A land swallowed by water, a flood that left no survivors. It was funny, how she and this other were so similar. Kahlua had not been able to say anything of it on the couple days walk from the Threshold to the Edge, for the feelings hurt her heart too much, but she spoke now of her own history.

“My land was swallowed by fire,” she responded softly. The joyous, sing-song quality that usually graced her tone was missing for the moment. “Nothing contained like this one here. I lost my brother in the confusion. I think he must be alive somewhere, though...” She trailed off slowly, not knowing or wanting to say anything else of it. “But here we are in happier times. You will be able to call this place home soon, just like I do.” Her smile returned as she settled in to happier thoughts. For now, the waited.
Well, my cold friend. Warm your bones and a leader will come soon. And won't they be proud of me, to have brought another home to our land? We can only hope so. And put on your best face, of course. Your successes are my successes in this moment. And I can't have you making me look bad...
@[Penguin]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Penguin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The travel to this land where there is fire that burns forever was slow, but they had made it. She could feel the warmth coming from the fire, and it felt amazing. Pen hadn’t pushed the question about Kahlua’s past, but upon hearing it she grow sad. ”I am sorry.” Her words where simple and soft. It would seem everyone had a sad song to sing. Then again there was sorrow all around in the world. One just had to look for it. For now, her pink eyes where looking at the fire, and as much as she wanted to go to it, she understood why they could go no farther. She wasn’t part of the herd, not yet. Eyes closed for a few moments as she soaked up the warmth and allowed it to flood her body. Her legs had came un numb during the walk here, but they where stiff and full of pain now.

The heat helped that pain. Normally she isn’t as she has been. Sure she is a kind mare, but she isn’t weak. Time a lone and in the cold months had just done there damage. Once she warmed up, and got settled into a herd her old fighting self would shine. However, as much as fighting was something she could do, she would prefer to be something much more helpful. That and her mother never did like her fighting. A healer was something she did wish to be, or at least a trade she wished to learn was healing.

Taking a deep breath she looked at Kahlua again and this time she spoke with a smile on her face. ”Thank you, for not just simply living me there to die and move on to someone else.” She said to the mare. She was very thankful and would always be thankful.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
[Derp derp, totally going with the fact that Smoke met Kahlua in the other acceptance thread so presuming familiarity for this one. <3]

Not unlike a time not so very long ago, the Moon Doctor's wanderings brought her near the herd's boundaries. But today she had purpose, checking up on the fires her youngest child made sure kept burning between forays into neutral territory. Some sense of responsibility, founded upon that blood relationship, kept the Wild Rose busy making sure Israfel's efforts did not go to waste. She was in the process of dragging a dead limb to the fire's clearing when her ears caught the sound of voices both familiar and not.

Kahlua's brought another lost soul home, sounds like. Was the silent observation as she continued her efforts. Introductions could wait until after this limb was clear of obstructions, or else she might not find it again in the half light. Stepping into the clearing, one end of the limb held awkwardly in her jaws, her dark eyes picked out the firelit figures of a pair of paints beyond the fire, beyond the border. She has a habit of finding black and white horses. Smoke noted in amusement, dropping the limb she'd hauled this far. She'd break it up a bit later, and maybe corral Madryn and Maskan into helping if some of the thicker sections proved too thick for her to shatter on her own.

"Hello, Kahlua. Who did you bring home this time?" Pacing forward, passing closer to the fire than some of her herdmates sometimes felt comfortable, Smoke approached her fellow equine and the unicorn that had been brought here. Her experienced eye took note of the stiff way the unknown mare held herself, and she decided to adjust the usual routine of question first, welcome last to suit the situation at hand.

"Come stand closer to the fire, lass. You look half frozen." Gently but firmly she circled around the pair, herding them closer to the fire's warmth. "You may call me Smoke, I act as the Moon Doctor here. And I won't have someone turn into an icicle on my watch."

Moving past them again, she walked to her limb and smashed a hoof down onto it, breaking off a section that she then picked up and carried over to drop upon the coals and smouldering branches. "What do you seek? Merely a home or some worthy path to follow?"

I am sorry. It was enough for Kahlua. Her feelings where rather fleeting anyway, being that she was a little too shallow to hang on to them for very long. She wished and washed in and out of memory, but it was easy enough to forget the sadness that remembering caused. She stood there a long moment, just taking in the fire. Her brain was surprisingly empty throughout the time. The dancing flames were almost mesmerizing. As the unicorn's words cut through the air, Kahlua flicked her ears to listen but kept her eyes on the flames. She turned her head only when she responded with words. “I only aim to please.” The words had a hint of jest to them, as though she was having a moment of fun. Still, they could not have been closer to the truth. Of course, whom she aimed to please was a different matter entirely. The painted mare had not really been Kahlua's target; rather, Penguin had just been in the right place at the right moment. Nothing wrong with that, though- happy accidents.

As the fire's danced playfully in the chilly winter winds, Kahlua looked back to them. Amongst the trees she heard the sounds of scraping across the forest floor which instantly put her on edge. She still had not gotten over the fright of Onni's claim that monster's inhabited the darkness; similarly, she still had not decided how to deal with this fright. Her muscles stiffened momentarily, until the form of a familiar horse broke through the shadows. Visibly relaxing, Kahlua let a smile grace her face as the Wild Rose struggled with a branch. “Penguin,” her voice responded in the bright and lilting tone that so frequently made her words dance. “Hello again, Smoke.”
Well then, give me some sign. Show me that what I'm doing is right. I mean, sure, I never asked permission to go gathering lost souls from the Threshold but then... if I'm good at it, shouldn't I be doing what's right? But you see Smoke, good at them or not, I can't be doing things that aren't making my name more well-known. So give me a sign, show me this isn't a waste of my time. Show me this isn't totally detrimental to my intentions.
As Kahlua's concern that she may not actually be doing the right thing overtook her thoughts, she suddenly found herself being herded forward. Not one to argue with a higher power, Kahlua trotted a few steps until she was closer to the flames. Icicle. A laugh feel from her lips at the comment and her blue eyes danced in the flickering light. Other than that, though, she remained quiet, as the Moon Doctor's words were for the unicorn and not herself.

Not one to stand idly while she could be making a good impression, though, she decided to try and assist Smoke. Without any of the finesse that Smoke seemed to have in doing her job, Kahlua moved around to the far side of the branch and stepped down on another portion of the branch to break it. After several tries, and rather proud of herself for it, she had a portion broken off that she nervously nosed towards the flame. She dare not travel so close to the flames as Smoke, but she figured that it was at least one less step the Moon Doctor would have to complete.

Unregistered
She would have to stop saying thank you sooner or later, but for now she would keep on saying it. As she stood there enjoying the rays of the warmth that reached her she thought about her family. Such a silly thing to think about when they where all gone. Everyone has their hardships, she was no different, but honestly it wasn’t worth crying over. No amount of tears or sorrow would bring any of them back. Out of the cold another voice called out. At first she had only heard the sound of someone going though the snow. She had thought it was Kahlua, but no. Soon enough it became clear that this other wasn’t her hornless twin, with blue eyes.

Eyes opening she as about to speak to the unknown mare when Kah spoke for her. ”Thank you.” She said softly as she was being herded towards the fire. She wasn’t sure if she should go closer, after all she wasn’t a member of the herd. Hopefully she would be soon though. Oh, dear little Pen. Such a sweetheart, but she wasn’t as weak as she seemed. She was just very cold.

With each step she took she could feel her body getting warmer and her stiff joints relaxing. Taking a deep breath she slowly let it out as she watched the others go about working. As a question was asked she looked at the mare named smoke with a polite smile. ”The warmth of a home, others to be around, and a family that is still in the living. “ She told the other in an honest voice. ”I do seek more then just a home though. I wish to help others. I was taught how to fight, despite my mother raising me a lady. Yet I prefer to heal wounds rather then inflicted wounds.” She spoke in a polite manner, her eyes where looking at the other mare as she turned to one side allowing the side of her body to be close to the fire, rather then her face.

Hidden Account
((Sorry for the wait, loveys. Muse is a fickle thing when events happen offline.))

An ear tilted to follow Kahlua, tracing her progress as the painted mare stepped forward to help the grulla in her tasks. A warm smile of quiet approval was cast toward the mare, for the Wild Rose appreciated the initiative that her fellow Edger displayed. A clever mare, to learn from watching and then step in and aid in what obviously needed to be done.

But then her attention was reverting back to the newcomer, listening attentively to what young Penguin had to say. Smoke nodded slightly, and smiled again. "A noble cause, a wise seeking. You have come to a land that can provide you the chance of all that. The Edge is home to a group called the Qian, and we are a family, if one made up of an unusual combination of individuals." Her smile turned wry, as if a little self-mocking. "A good healer is one who can both inflict a wound and fix it up, because the knowledge of both paths can make an individual effective at either, and both. There's no shame in being able to defend yourself." Then she chuckled. "And fate has led you to one who can grant you access to both a home and a career, without consulting another. But do you truly wish to join us?"

The warmth of a home, others to be around, and a family that is still in the living. The unicorn had simple wishes, but they were good ones. Smoke confirmed this presently and Kahlua couldn't help but muffle a soft chuckle as the Moon Doctor referred to the collection of horses in the Qian an unusual combination of individuals. It was true. Kahlua had met only a small handful of the horses that called this land home, but each had been different and special in their own way. She liked it that way- it kept her life as interesting as anyone else's.

As the pair continued chatting about Penguin's wishes in the herd and Smoke's position, Kahlua listened silently. It was unusual for her to remain quiet this long, but she knew that it was not her place to speak right now. As it was, she had her own ambitions she was aiming for and her thoughts settled to those. As she continued to pick at the branch that Smoke had dragged out, she day-dreamed of the day when she would be called Glazier. She held no ill-will to Lace or Aaron, she just really wanted that title. But do you truly wish to join us? The cold wind blew at Smoke's words, but the fire kept on burning brightly, warming Kahlua's skin and keeping her comfortable even in the snowy night.
Come then Penguin, look lively. Make your case and I'm sure you'll be welcome in this herd as a sister of the Qian. It's a little weird at first, thinking of everyone as family, but you grow used to it. I've really come to like it rather well.

Unregistered
She felt better now, her legs where no longer so numb, and her joints weren't as stiff. She was very grateful to Kah and to Smoke as well. Even though she didn't go out seeking Penguin, Kah had saved her life and the twisted horned gal owes her for that. Rather her hornless twins wants it, or even knows it she will always have Pen watching her back. Today an ally has been made, and a bond created that would never be broken, but it could still crack of course. She wasn't some mindless slave to the mare after all.

Looking at Kah for a moment as Smoke spoke to her, she then listened to everything that was being said. To her new friend, and then to herself. Her heart was racing. "Yes I truly wish to join the Qian. My old herd was made up of my family members, but not everyone was family by blood. I wish to join the Qian as an adopted sister to all." She said in a calm, but serious voice as she gave Smoke a graceful and grateful bow.

This started out looking like the day of her death, but now she knows for sure. In her mind, her heart and her soul that this was the day of her rebirth. This must truly be my lucky day, thanks the stars and moon. This world was strange to her though. She was still new to it, and it to her, but already she is breaking ground and making strides towards a brighter future.

Hidden Account
An amused quirk on an ear ringed in white caught the barely disguised sound of humor from painted Kahlua, a soft sound that could have so easily been lost within the crackle of burning wood and the simple rhythyms of speech. So her younger counterpart had learned some aspect of the truth of her observation of the unique collection of souls that dwelled within these woods. Had she seen the dragon-bred, or the scholarly gryphon? Perhaps, though there were many of not so bizarre of heritage that could easily fit that description.

Then her ears flicked forward with a bright smile as young Penguin affirmed her decision to join the Qian. "Then you are welcome to our home and family, Penguin. I would be pleased to count you as one of my nurses if you decide to continue the path you desire. I have intentions to begin lessons in herblore for all who would become healers in a few days. Come to them, and you will become one of my proteges as well as my herd-sister."

Kindly she stepped forward, white speckled muzzle extending to bump the young unicorn's shoulder in a companionable gesture before returning to tending the fire. It would not do to have a new nurse fall over frozen after being placed within the ranks.

Yes, I truly wish to join the Qian. Penguin's words that followed were so much more eloquent than anything Kahlua ever could have put together herself. She maintained the smile that had been upon her face since they arrived at the borders. She had done good, Kahlua thought, and was proud of herself for it. Additionally, Smoke seemed pleased with Kahlua's choice as well, and that was all Kahlua could ask for. Their bantering back and forth left Kahlua in a good mood- not that she was ever in a bad one. Pleased with herself, and the world, she knew she would sleep easy tonight, even amongst the darkness. Taking the time to break a few more sticks from the large branch that Smoke had hauled over, Kahlua nosed them closer to the fire.

You will become one of my proteges as well as my herd-sister. Kahlua nodded her head deeply to Penguin as Smoke's words came to a finish. “Welcome to the herd, then, officially. I am glad to call you sister. Turning her head to Smoke, she nodded again. “I will see you both around, I'm sure. A friendly nicker fell from her lips before she turned then and wandered off into the words. Her deed was done, in bringing Penguin home, and certainly Penguin would rather converse with her new mentor than silly Kahlua. Besides, Penguin's ambition gave Kahlua new drive to find one of the Glazier's and continue on her path of education.