the Rift

[OPEN] Blooming petals of fire (Flow, Cera, Open)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
I've loved you for a thousand years
It’s hard to tell what my young friend is thinking; she certainly didn’t seem over enthused about the features our home offered at first glance. Which, considering that everything was either dead, dying or unnaturally glowy…I couldn’t blame how her eyes cast their gaze at me in bewilderment. Lost, uncertain, innocently childlike. By firelite I saw that Flow’s ebony senses were slammed so far back across that dainty head it was a wonder they didn’t merge into one flesh. This was not how I wanted to show her the land of my father, nobody favored presenting the sands to newcomers during a time like this—when it is shrouded by shadows and questions. I would have loved nothing more than to speak of good things between us. Show this yearling the wonders of a beautiful oasis, let her smell the orchid blossoms in Birdsong and sip from the purest waters a desert could offer during the heat of Tallsun. Yet, all I could submit was warmth and a promise of protection here at the base of this fire.

She said nothing vocal in response, only gazed up at me with that same forlorn expression and looked away dejected. My heart yearned to somehow reach out. If only I could pull Flow close against my barrel and simply hold her as a mother would her child. Things weren’t so simply in life, this filly wasn’t a tiny foal to be cuddled—and it was likely that she would reject any semblance of physical comfort. Still, I stretched my neck towards her and paused all other movement. The whiskers on my muzzle twitched back and lips parted to allow a soft whisper clearance, “You’ll be safe here Flow, that I can promise you.”

A screech shatters the crackling silence, the tone is demanding and similar to the shrill call of a predator bird. Fina. My attention rises, eyes snap to a heaven that wasn’t heaven. Her magnificent body appears out of the darkness and becomes naturally accented by the fire. She circles the pillar, staring down at us in a raptor sort of way. Softly my bonded touches the mind and I feel a rare wash of her concern, “You’re safe?” Already she is eyeing my company with a dangerous suspicion that is born from a worrisome heart, I hold back a scowl and respond, “I’m well, come down here and meet the newest member of our family.”

Fina circles again, but acknowledges my request by flying lower. I turn back to regard Flow with an easy smile that would hopefully reassure, “I would like you to meet Fina.” The exotic bird alights across my spine one moment later. Her talons gently caress flesh as her slight weight settles upon me, a welcome improvement to how they used to dig. Sunset plumage folds skillfully, and she becomes a streamline being; aqua eyes swivel at a bend to catch the ash colored filly within her sights. Studying the child with judging eyes I hear a question soon after, “The child is…afraid?”

“Yes, this one was likely abandoned to the night.”

Somewhere within those pools a softness forms, I wasn’t the only one who pitied the lost souls of this world. That creamy beak opens and instead of a hiss or crackle, she whistles a gentle tune—one I recognize from when Cera was smaller. “She likes you,” I add, still retaining my previous grin. Perhaps it was helping me watch over Cera that eased that reckless nature into something more caring, or maybe my soul was gentling her wild spirit. Raptor pools jerk back to me accusingly and the orange feathers along her spine ruffle up as if she had just heard something offensive, “I care nothing for them…” she huffs out melodramatically.

Though we both knew it was a lie.

Another set of wings disturb the air, I recognize their pattern and glance up. Fina also tilts her beak toward the astral abbess, a restrained eagerness flares—one that was often hidden from all but myself and him. Cera. She loved him dearly, like a sister to brother; they had been together since her hatching and there was none that could be more favored. My son comes into view, his creamy patchwork body rippling with new muscles. A lean composition, athletic and sporty; it wasn’t going to be long before this mind matched the height of his body.

He lands at a comfortable distance. Fondly I gaze down the fireline at the desert child, a soft responding whicker springs from the folds of my throat as he trots over. Despite having only moments ago expressed an uncaring disposition, Fina chirps brightly; she had been waiting for Cera and Ilaria to notice her. Our muzzles stretch and join, we both knew this almost ritualistic pattern. I had after all been the one to teach it. Breathing in his musky scent was like tasting home, “Welcome home, Father. Have you been safe in your travels?”

“Aye,” I respond softly, though I knew the word was useless until he had finished going over my flesh for mar and imperfection, “You shouldn’t worry so much, it will give you early wrinkles,” my lip twist into a playful beam that was becoming rare these troubled days. He wastes no time in diving right into introductions. I regard Ilaria while words are being spoken, smiling I inquire lightly, "Keeping him in line while I'm busy?"

table by whit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blooming petals of fire (Flow, Cera, Open) - by Escaflowne - 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: Blooming petals of fire (Flow, Cera, Open) - by Midas - 08-02-2013, 11:30 PM
RE: Blooming petals of fire (Flow, Cera, Open) - by Escaflowne - 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM