the Rift

[OPEN] What Could Have Been...

Elizabeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Elizabeth

The beaten path of my life had taken a sharp turn, and it was quite sudden, almost too sudden. The darkness of the world had turned even more dark than before. I was doing my duties within the solemn night, trying my best to capture the moon back or, perhaps the sun. I wished I could see a damn thing in this snowy bliss, but now the season had changed. It had only been a day or two since the spring had broken through, though the snow never died up in the North. The Basin was a pristine white even with the black all around it. The caves were warm, where my makeshift family lie in the blackness. With it all around me, it blended in perfectly almost, my own black eyes scanning the mist of snow for intruders. I walked and walked, nothing happening for an hour or two.

I knew the sun should be rising at this point, but it never came. I was stupid to think it would, because of this endless night. Stupid gods, running away like pussies. What the hell had happened that was so important? I was walking toward the caves, though still very far away. I was alone out here, as I could now see since the snow had died down, though another patrol should be on their way. But suddenly, it all went black, blacker than what I had saw around me. I fell, my knees, and I barely felt them hit the soft surface of the snow. A grunt escaped my lips, but that was all for the moment.

I would never see the sun again.

My heart, it hurt, and my insides, felt like they were going to explode. I was gasping, as if I was drowning on air. What was going on. I could barely make the sound for names. I yelled for him, for her...just one note was echoed out over the vast field of ice.

"Crow...ley...Non......nie."

And that was it. My body fell on it's side, a last breath escaping my maw as my body collapsed within itself. My brain had suffered, pumping and growing in an abnormal way. I had felt almost nothing that would seem to have startled me that I was dying, but my soul could no longer remember the signs of my apparent death. I was gone, ceasing to exist. Whether I went to heaven or hell, I'll never know.

Words

@[Crowley] @[Rhiannon]

NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE

Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo
You're busy dying if you're living in the past
When morning had come, the first thought that had come to Crowley's mind was the pondering of what might befall him today. He'd gone through bouts of terrible paranoia, blindness, even atrocious boils and insatiable hunger and thirst in the grips of battle... What else could possibly hinder him now? He wasn't complaining, of course, but he couldn't help but wonder what might come of him next. But until he found out, he would seize the opportunity to try and have somewhat of a normal day in this not so normal world.

With Talbot at his side, Crowley ventured from the safety and comfort of his favored cave and trudged through the thinning snow, determined to get to the lighted lake before the Moon decided to play another trick upon him. The company of another, preferably the likes of d'Artagnan or another member of the Plague, is what he sought, but he knew not what their lives had been like since the start of this eternal night. He had heard some rumors of things, but nothing had been put into motion as far as he was aware. Perhaps somebody of the organization could shed some light on what he had heard.

But as he drew ever closer to the lake, the faintest of sounds caused Talbot to come to a sudden halt, his body growing stiff as his head snapped to the side to pinpoint the location. A low wuff escaped his throat, causing the brindled stallion to come to a stop and follow his partner's gaze. In the distance, a faint silhouette could be made out on the ground, quite dark in comparison to the snow in which is laid. Under the light of the moon, Crowley could recognize the silver sheen of a coat, and his eyes widened with realization.

It was Elizabeth.

Without a word, the Weaver wheeled to the right and moved into a swift-footed gallop to close the gap of distance between them. At first he had been unaware if she was just lazing about or if something was wrong, but as he came closer, it was apparent that it was the latter. Slowing as he neared, and then stopping at the downed mare's side, Crowley outstretched his muzzle to Elizabeth's side until it touched. For a moment he was silent, trying to decipher the condition of the Corporal; it was startling to realize that her sides no longer rose and then fell.

"Elizabeth," the brindle spoke up, his tone firm as he lifted his head and replaced his muzzle to the mare's cheek, giving it a firm push to try and rouse the mare, but there was no reaction. Even Talbot couldn't muster anything from her, and eventually he stepped back, whining softly and taking up his place beside Crowley. The Weaver's ears slicked back at the lack of response, and he gave another push, and another, but still... there was nothing. Elizabeth was gone, and there was nothing he could do to bring her back.

Though Weaver and Corporal had never been terribly close in terms of 'mates', they had created a beautiful daughter together, and perhaps it was this fact that pained Crowley the most. Elizabeth had done much to help protect the herd from intruders, thus keeping it safe while the others rested and milled about. It was not the fact that he was without her now that hurt him the most, but the fact that Rhiannon was now without a mother. What would his beloved daughter do once she found out about this? Would she cry, be angry, ask why her mother would never walk at her side again and watch her grow into a seasoned mare, or become a member of the Plague?

Looking down at the Corporal with a harsh gaze, Crowley was silent for some time as he mulled this sudden turn of events over. Elizabeth was dead, the Basin was with one less Corporal, the Plague with one less member, and tonight, a young filly had lost a mother. "Why now?" The brindle spoke up, clearly at a loss of what to make of the lifeless body sprawled out before him. A deep breath caused his sides to expand, until he let it out harshly and allowed his eyes to fall shut in frustration. "Well, wherever you are, rest in peace; you have earned it. I only wish you could have told Rhiannon goodbye."
Image Credits