the Rift

[OPEN] How sweet, the stars

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

The more they spoke the more the tension eased from Roland’s muscles, and he slowly allowed himself to relax in the mare’s presence. If she truly had malicious intent, creeping upon him like a wraith while the whisper of the sea drowned out the clack of her footsteps across salted granite, then he would have expected her to have made her move already. Assassins rarely wait around to chat before they introduce you to the business end of their blade.

She listened to him speak in silence, her eyes wandering as he responded to her inquiry with his usual ambiguity, but his composure was derailed when she took a sudden and unexpected interest to his reply. His eyes narrowed, visibly skeptical in a way he didn’t bother to hide in the darkness. The concern in Seiren’s voice, and her sudden rapt attention to his words caught him off guard, but he couldn’t be sure if she was just trying to lure an explanation from him while feigning genuine curiousity. “We have only just met. Do you really expect me to disclose my secrets so soon?” His voice was low and quiet, hinting at his distrust while a disbelieving smile grew on his lips. There was no telling what her intent was in questioning him; perhaps she had a bone to pick with his herd, perhaps she was only being sympathetic, but even if he was not invested in the Basin’s ideals, he would not betray them on such a whim.

I do not always see eye to eye with my family,“ he said finally, both as a way of vague explanation and also to appease her. It was a half truth, the best she could hope to get for the time being, and he was satisfied with himself. Beneath the easy smiles and dismissive words, he was at war with himself. Being a part of the Basin had its perks; he had a cave to shelter him, a hot springs to bathe in, a family- albeit a detached one, and a few friends. More than he had known in many years, for certain. If he was to leave, he would no doubt miss the familiar faces of Arah, Sia and Mauja, the latter of which he hadn’t seen in a while anyways.

But the whispered voice in the back of his head never ceased, ridiculing and challenging. Was this what he wanted for the rest of his life? To build a foundation upon bricks of ice and fabrics of snow, to serve under a crown who wanted nothing more than to wipe every hornless equine from the earth? His eyes lowered to the ground, tracing the reflection of pallid moonlight across the frozen ground until stone gave way to emptiness, and the sea thrashed below. Seiren’s voice was but a vague noise in the distance until he heard his name, drawing his attention back to her dappled form.

Is that so?” He inclined his head with a growing smile, a new light of interest glinting in his eyes as he shook off the last vestiges of his silent speculation. As soft-spoken as the Impersonator could be, he had a dangerous ego and inflated appreciation for his own ‘dashing looks’. “Well, I hope I don’t disappoint,” he added, tail curling around his hocks appreciatively. His eyes flicked briefly to the horn atop her head and the scarlet marking that circled it like a target. “Do you have a family of your own?” He asked, lowering his gaze back to the dark hollows of her eyes, unlit by the hovering moon above them.

(Really enjoying their dynamic <3)

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
How sweet, the stars - by Roland - 08-08-2013, 12:43 AM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Seiren - 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Roland - 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Seiren - 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Roland - 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Seiren - 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM
RE: How sweet, the stars - by Roland - 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM