the Rift

Challenge//Mauja.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

In another life, in another time—perhaps we might have become like brothers. Duty was duty though, and my vows sang their bitter sweet melody like the chimes of mother birds returning home only to find their nests vainly torn to ruin. They cried doubly for that loss. Family. Guacho straightened after I had spoken, his gaze grew hard but yielding toward my words; no voice of doubt or underlying questions. I was thankful for this. “Yes,” he said in agreement before drawing that large crown lower, with all threatening points shifting toward Mauja’s breast. His Mamba was coiled inside the framework that my native friends token, her forked tongue slithering past fangs. Both ready for my word. These actions rang in my ears just as effectively as Fina’s screech had; they would die today if I asked—all for the sake of loyalty.

Softly I whispered something that the icy one had told me not more than a season ago, “Sometimes duty forces you to run against what you wish….herding me down a path I wouldn’t otherwise walk.” Who would have thought, that his words of wisdom would return to haunt us both in such a cruel manner? If the sides had somehow been reversed and I was his General; my response would have been the same to all who threated our families. Loyalty, it was my father’s greatest virtue—what terrible consequences would befall me if I choose to break the historical line? Just the idea of such treachery set my heart to thunder within its hot cavities, I couldn’t betray the clan any more than chop off my own wing.

His smile wounded me, it was tautly drawn up; like the face of a man grasping upon his last string. “So I am wanted for his death…” he says…regretfully? Or perhaps my ears were just making it up. Somewhere inside my soul the faint hope that had been praying he would deny the charge died a little more. It was foolish to grasp an ideal that was impossible. Something. Anything. I might have been able to defend his honor if there had been no guilt, my name held value within this land. “I do not believe I would be given a fair trial within in the Edge.” I stiffened but did not interject—he wasn’t going to come quietly. Those sad eyes found mine and we both knew in that moment where this was going to lead. There was only two options, one path he couldn’t ask me to walk.

Kri whispered,“The Dragonheart has placed a price on Mauja’s head for the murder of her beloved Torasin. If you see the Ice King, you are to capture and deliver him to me.”

To let him walk would be a direct defiance against her orders.

“I’m sorry, friend. I cannot go with you.”

I didn’t know how lenient the Dragonheart was, he might have been correct in stating that they wouldn’t offer him a fair trial. That white feathered forelimb rises and my heart speeds on. Quietly I say, “The sorrow is mine, for we are at a cross roads…I had hoped…” Voice breaks off and my heart takes one final moment to gather itself, grief that would be handled on a later date. My wings explode from my barrel and thrust heavily down to send this body into heaven. Fina soars up from my spine in the same instant, her talons turning toward the distant owl that had been watching us. Beak is wide and thirsting for blood spoiled with the ghost of another.

My mouth opens to bellow out a warning for those that might be residing close by; the shattering sound is my cry tainted with pent up pain. It rockets up to heaven with enough force to resound for miles away. Magic pools within my spirit, I had been practicing my powers since the moon returned. An attempt to master what had been mastered once before. Though not perfect, it would have to serve me now in the state which it was in. The earth shifts and moves at my command, a mighty earthquake breaks open the soft sand around my Appaloosa friend, and likely beneath his feet. It was plenty strong enough to throw even a steady mate off-balance at the very least, and topple someone who wasn’t so surefooted.

OOC:: Official 2vs1 Challenge. Midas and Guacho will be fighting to keep Mauja in custody so that he can be given to Kri or Mirage for a trial.

Setting:: Beside the ocean, early Birdsong; set during the Broken Magic plot.

Magic and Companions:: Allowed. (2/2)

Battle posts: (1/4) Intro posts found here::
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=89...5#pid61485

Buffs:: Swift & Bulk

Word count:: 780

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
It's not hard to live like a ghost.
I just haunt all that I wanted, and leave what I don't.</style>

Times such as these, it is good to be Gaucho. He does not feel, nor would even be capable of feeling, the tenuous threads of friendship slowly yielding to the strain of duty, that has been placed upon him. He is no more aware of the magnitude of the situation, than is the butterfly we speak of, who causes a tsunami across the world. He is instinctual, and reactive, and in this moment, with My-dus by his side, defending the Dragon's Throat, he is more at home than he has ever been.

He is more alive than he has ever been. Although he does not know who Mawd-jah is, or what a Tor-ass-in is, and why it matters, he is honoured to defend his home with My-dus.

There is movement before him, and almost simultaneously above him, as Mauja knocks over the first domino, by stepping forward. Although the white steed has a thicker build than Gaucho, the warrior's trained eyes can see the fluidity and depth of muscle rippling beneath his pelt in the moonlight. Trick his simple mind thinks, for he had been fooled into thinking Mauja was frightened earlier. One does not gain a warrior's physique from running from battles.

Trick. His teeth grit together with a primal fury. TRICK.

With his large wings already unfurled, the beast is in a good position to right his balance quickly, as the ground beneath Mauja begins to swell and pull apart with the force of Midas' magic. In close proximity to the white stallion, the ground beneath Gaucho too begins to open up. With a loud grunt, Gaucho kicks off from the ground, leaping towards the back of Mauja's left shoulder, at an almost perpendicular angle. He uses both the upturned earth to act as a springboard to propel him forward, as well as his already outstretched wings. Previously lowered antlers waste no time in aiming themselves towards Mauja's flesh, hoping to gauge into his left shoulder, and make it harder for the steed to run away across the sands.

Having achieved no altitude in this one-stride flight, Gaucho pivots to try and throw his right shoulder into Mauja's left, attempting to force their bodies to become more parallel, as his bulky head swings to the left after his attempted antler-attack. He does not throw his head so far to the left however, as to reveal his neck. The warrior attempts to keep his antlers at such an angle, that should Mauja's head try to snap to the left to spear Gaucho's neck or chest with his horn, that the tines of Gaucho's antler might jab the white stallion's cheek or jaw for his efforts. With the swing of his body, Gaucho tries to force his collar of bone spikes, into Mauja's left shoulder as well, in an attempt to further open a potential wound caused by his antlers, or to inflict new damage.

Within his antlers, Mara's hisses are almost constant. She does not sense the need to attack yet from her bonded's mind, but that does not mean that she can't serve as a distraction. SSssSsssssSSSSSS she roars, her voice sounding like a disembodied echo of the ocean.

Almost parallel in height, Gaucho's battle-mind tries to keep his body parallel to Mauja's, to bar the tall stallion from getting enough range to get a kick in. He does not take flight, however, and continues to try and navigate the upturned sands to stay close to the white steed. Given his stature, Gaucho is sure he can weather a physical attack far better than his more agile General. Perhaps if he remains on the ground, My-dus will have unrestricted airspace in which to attack.

To this effect, Gaucho does not move away from Mauja. His large hooves are used to this sandy terrain, for he has long sparred and danced upon these quicksand expanses. His more lithe figure steps with an easy control over the upturned and rippled ground, than he hopes that Mauja's will.

[WC: 687
Attack: 1/4
M&C: 0/3*

Gaucho is using buffs HUNTER* and AIM]

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
All parties have agreed to void this challenge, awarding no VP. Mauja is not taken as prisoner.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
and it's like you're shouting out my name in the dark
but I can't hear
because there's ice in my heart.
[ Writing Mauja's exit. ]

He wondered when he had gone from rock-hard, ice-cold, to infinitely sorrowful – but there it was, the blue oceans opening up to swallow his soul, tinging his smile as it curved his dark lips. Duty was a cursed, bitter thing, a hollow substitute for life, poison rushing through your veins. What would it be like, to forsake duty and simply follow your heart? To live with every fiber of your being, to truly breathe the air you drew in? The slight confession, the hints of regret, and some dim part of him stirred, wishing he could spare Midas this turmoil: how hard would it be, to simply go, and tell the truth? To let them know of the crimson blood slowly sliding down an icy thorn, of the fire flash and the panic?

But the bitterness returned; who would ever believe him?
Who would ever believe Mauja capable of blinding fear?
Of accidents?

He'd been fighting for a year to once again become the wolf they wanted him to be, the hunter of the sheep flocking together, but every step of the way had been littered with flaws and mistakes. What should've been glorious murder, the opportunistic predator leaping out to take the heart of his enemy, had been nothing but an accident. Mauja wanted to close his eyes, to pause the world and think things through – didn't he know the Edge well enough to find an escape? The future was bleak, and his heart as heavy as his feet, but still he raised that first hoof, knowing that it was a road leading to nowhere.

“The sorrow is mine, for we are at a cross roads…I had hoped…” Hoped what? Mauja had the time to think, before the inevitable happened.

The world, it exploded into fragments of motion.

Irma was already moving away, wings straining against the night air, a white arrow soaring north with a plan of her own. And Mauja, he found his tongue; "SARAZH-" he bellowed, an echo of Midas' cry, but the ground and Gaucho tore the rest of his brother's name from his mouth, silencing it. The sand shook, water gurgling and rushing in, and he moved with it: desperation and instinct caused him to reach for what he thought wasn't there, only to find that it was, and the world slipped deeper into darkness.

Antlers crashed against white skin, blood studding his shoulder – the pain was all the trigger he needed, and his slippery grasp upon magic grew firmer. The restless ground erupted as he kept dancing sideways, but there was no control, no smooth precision: there were no monuments rising in a cold salute. Only hunger, an outpour of power, something twisted and broken. Shattered ice spikes studded the ground, thrusting up from the turmoil, splintering and falling only to be replaced with new ones at a rapid rate, rising just above their knees, splitting the skin of its master and maybe that of foes, too. Red gashes covered Mauja's legs, a matching picture to his bleeding shoulder, but he barely felt it; his pale eyes were wide open, a gurgle drawing itself out of his throat, feet striving sideways on the uneven ground but there was no purchase to find. Gaucho's shoulder slammed against his, bone piercing flesh and drawing more red, and one hoof clipped against the shattered stump of a spike; he crashed down on one knee, shoulder smashing against another spike and splintering it.

And still, they kept coming, flooding out of him like a tidal wave. Cold; he was cold, ice rushing through his veins, and he couldn't breathe, because the ice and the magic was everywhere, filling every sense and every cavity in his body. Something still functioned and he hauled himself up, and Irma cried out.

The night answered.

As Mauja stumbled deeper into the surf, crashing through the roiling ground and death-trap of spikes, the wind picked up. It rushed in from the cold winter ocean, it rushed in from the desert sands, it keened, rising to a howl, a brewing storm whipping through his bones, blowing through his soul. His white mane was everywhere, tangled in his horn and around his ears, whipping before his eyes, and suddenly the air formed a wedge thundering through the chaotic scene. Water greeted his fall from seventeen hands, hard sand beneath slapping against his right shoulder, and for a moment Mauja simply lay there. A few lonely ice spikes still stood, but the magic had bled itself dry; he wasn't sure if it was the trembling earth or his body quivering anymore, he didn't even know where he ended and the salty, stinging water began.

But suddenly he was there, those split blue-green eyes staring down at him, soft muzzle brushing across a bloodstained shoulder; the wind still roared, whipping his white-and-black mane into a frenzied halo around his head, and his voice was just another facet of the gale. "Reis þig!" And Irma was there, sitting on those black withers, her soul nudging his, and straining to remember who he was – to forget the feeling of his own ice flaying the inside of his skin and grinding through his veins – he rolled over on his belly. The cold water stung his open wounds, but the sand offered enough purchase. Rising into the storm Mauja followed his dark brother out to sea, and the further they thrust through the waves, the quieter the wind became, until finally all was silent and calm again.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here