the Rift

[OPEN] Worn out nights

October Posts: 40
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hh :: 6.5 years
Blu

@[Confutatis]

I feel melancholy.

It is something that stirs in my chest where normally bliss sits, so secure and utterly untouched by everything else. In most of my life, despite whatever feelings I have had, happiness has always been beside them.
Today, and yesterday, and probably tomorrow too, I have felt unhappy.

It's uncertain what the exact cause was that usurped the joy from my being, but I can feel the leader of the coup in that I sense the absence of my bliss. There is an emptiness drifting in my mind, as lost and forsaken as an adrift skiff in swollen seas of waves, wind and Krakens.
The wind presses a cold, stark kiss on my neck just then, as though a reminder of the very plight stirring in my conscious. I pause in my travel, orange eyes glancing warily around me. I seek those windy lips, but she is as evasive as always.
Bitch.

I shake the feeling from my mane and her touch falls in dried, frozen residue - dandruff.
I continue my march forward. The trees draw me in like an old friend.
Trees are shitty friends.

I can't say I really know much about friendship. I've had a lasting relationship with my shadow, but that seems more of a forced issue than any metered alliance. Shadows are shitty friends too.

Like anyone who's lonely and afraid of the world without any friends at all, quality aside, I greet them with smiles and laughs and pretend that I enjoy them.
I am afraid.

I sigh at all this complicated mess. The breath of frustration tumbling into the air as I weave through the bodies of my companions.
The sight of the woods crowding like teeth in a hungry mouth causes a flood of relief in the soreness of tired muscles and brings a shy heat to my genitals. My tail pricks in anticipation, but is sorely disappointed when I step forward. Its excitement causes a sashay to my hips that I notice always preludes an excess amount of urination.
What goes in goes out, although I can never remember drinking anything remotely gold.

The wind sneaks in another kiss. I turn hastily to catch her, but she is gone in a flash of whipping mane that scatters my vision like the clouds drifting over the moon. The silver light flickers and stars fall into black.

I stand in the night, wrapped into myself, and watch the sky have technical difficulties.
It reminds me of my emotional duress and I bemoan a call to the forest, sending my sorrow out like a bugle in the symphony of living.
The wind steals it away, along with all her kisses.

Worn out places, worn out faces
No expression, no expression
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

O C T O B E R :

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda

Confutatis

Sisters. What a ravishing word. Siblings. Brothers. Family. They were such sweet, lovely words. Words about loyalty, about watching another's back not out of liking them, but because it was duty, nothing more than blood tying you together. Confutatis had family too- that was what came of having a rapist father. There were always plenty of half-siblings running about, even if she had never met them before. Always had the mare wondered if she would recognize them when she started across them, or if she had crossed paths unknowingly with them before- how many had fled Isilme? How many had escaped Anarore? And out of the survivors, how many wandered lost into Helovia? It wasn't a thought train Skullface frequently explored, this idea of lineage holding horses together. Why should the conceited bitch care for one of the many bastards sired by Oblivion when Confutatis had never met a single one? The black mare shakes the dull thoughts from her skull-painted head and slips away from her guard into the forest, the damp chilling her sooty skin, numbing her to all but the sharpest and strongest of physical sensations.

The trees make for poor companionship, but nonetheless better than the foolish gravedigger who caught up to Skullface and pushed her into bitter submission. They are ancient, the trees; all-knowing guardians, rustling their leaves, creaking their greetings as the young wolf moves by, a smudge of moving shadow among the static shadows. Starlight gleams dully off her skull-painted face, shines lustily on the spine arrowing down her back.

There is another shadow in the woods today. Confutatis slows, picking her way carefully over fallen branches and withered tree roots, twisted and aged, her amber eye deep and dark and almost sullen. Nostrils flare, drinking in that scent. And this mare, stranger to her, has a touch of her scent; Confutatis' scent, that is, her individual wild-stench with the same old touch of decay and death to it, even, perhaps, a touch stronger than the Skullface. Not only this, but the young mare seems familiar to her, with gleaming orange eyes more red than hers. For a moment, the gristly mare of malicious intent halts, and she begins to quiver with excitement, burning her up inside. Is she a bastard daughter of Oblivion? Is she a half-sister? Then her shivering halts abruptly, and her sooty lips peel back in a soundless snarl. If it is so, perhaps the jack o' lantern poses a threat to her being queen of the black forest.

But blood is thicker than water.

"Lantern girl," Confutatis growls, a low rumbling from deep in her chest, quite unlike a voice of silk and steel that Seele has. But there is no savagery in the growl- it is a curious tone, a cautious familiarity to it. "I am Confutatis, daughter of Oblivion." Something she doesn't know makes her add her father, the old Isilme warlord. Her ears twitch and eyes sparkle viciously with inquisitiveness. How the warlord's daughter longs for this other mare, the jack o' lantern, to return the favor.

Half-sister?

Dizziness strikes her then, a burst of nausea. Yet she stands still as stone. She knew she had been poisoned when the idiot Asylum had gathered together for a meeting. It came in waves of illness, and sometimes even hallucinations (curious ones, she didn't really mind them). Right now, for instance. This other-mare was glistening with orange light, and blood was dripping down her elegant, Thoroughbred face. Then it is gone, restoring the other mare to normal, if you can describe her as normal.

Deceased
Blu

[:x this post got way off track from my original intention, but never fear she will connect with Confu next post, first she had to sort of, rediscover herself but next she'll notice that Cofu does resemble him, especially now that she has lineage on the brain, so she'll likely connect the dots even if Confu doesn't say something outright.]

The weight of eyes upon me settles like an odd tingle upon my spine, gathering like condensation upon the morning grass. I pause, lending an ear to the woods who speak in crow caws and rat chatters. The give nothing away, at first, my shitty friends, but in time even they prove some benefit to this forsaken relationship.

The silence stutters as the imposing eyes break my friend's finger with equally imposing feet. I toss a careless glance across my shoulder and in that moment my attempt at sly nonchalance is holstered like a gun in a church. Here has come my God.

I am frozen in this web of disbelief, a fly that ceases to writhe in a fate sealed with a venemous kiss and a captor with eyes, eyes, eyes. My spider crawls forward, my wolf, my "DEMON KING!" I hail. My bead slithers between my bowing knees while my tail does similar between the backward ones behind. I exhale and dust motes stir. The earth's dandruff tickles at my nose and I sneeze.

The motion jerks my head up and against my will my eyes coast upon his glorious frame. I cannot deny I wanted to steal a look. My wants mean little then as I gape in horror, snot dribbling down to my chin like the unceremonious hang of the noose above the thirteen steps. This is not my savior, this is not my king, this is not my father.

I take a step back, visibly shaken. The sight, like a sweet caress of lips to a lover starved is not a reeling slap to the face and my emotions do teeter like a boat at see from going so fast to bow and stern, love and hate. I want to weep not for the absence of him, that pain I know all to well, but for the cruel hope that he had returned. There is no fate so worse as to return hope to that whom has long forsaken it. A drug it shocks my system and I fall back into the abyss of need

"A lie" I manage to stutter out. My body has balled into itself, trying to absorb all my limbs and joints into one shaft of mortal flesh, black and black and white. Lost in my misery I almost do not see the lighthouse calling for me. A spark in the din, if only I were a moth. Alas, I am a bat, blind as can be and flame or glow or light of any kind I do not see.

It is the act of crashing upon the rocks that shakes me from my drowning fate. I understand now the melancholy that has begun to taint my soul like like rust to a fine vehicle. I have been searching for a purpose to enact in his name. Too long I have sat idle, permitting the rust to settle with all my inactivity. I was crafted to pour blood from the living and let the earth drink the dying wine but I have let that elixir sour into meager booze. I have become a shadow rimmed with specks of light rather than cackle with a jack-o-lantern face, emitting light from within and in so, bathing the vicinity in darkness.

I know what I must do now. I need to serve my lord as I have not yet been able to. If I am incapable in striking fear or egregious injury, then I must use what natural assets I have always had. The very ones that flushed earlier and that ignite at just the mention of his name. I must recreate myself. No, I am not so worthy as that. I must re-create him.

His bones lie as ash in that overrun land, unreachable by my magic, but his blood hums in me still and with that I can craft his nature and his form once more.

I smile and the delight on my face is wicked with the jigsaw pieces curling; my lips writhe like worms on a fresh corpse, such is the joy to finally feast on the rot.

No tomorrow, no tomorrow

O C T O B E R :

Confutatis

The wolf is curious, a strange sensation of inquisition quavering in her sooty chest.

She shouts, the sound hard on the dark mare's ears, a rumbling trumpet of worship; it settles on Confutatis' ears like silk and velvet, sweet on her lips as flowering spring blossoms. It has been too long since her voice has been cried out over the land, too long since her name was murmured in temples and her hoofprints left in drifting sand were enough to turn away the bravest of thick-headed stallions. Here stallions did not woo her, for hopes of laying the woman of the country, and from there to become a king to be admired amidst the dark rule of her era.

How she missed the fear, electric on the air, and how she longed for the terror that she once struck into hearts.

But this bowing mare does not yell her name; but the one of her father's legend, and his region of terror in Isilme. "GET UP!" Confutatis screams, her voice ringing out, almost desperate, near wild. Her lips curl back, exposing yellowed teeth, her amber eye glowing with a storm of emotions not easily explained, feral and mad as a rabid wolf. Yet already the sister is already up on her hooves, moving away from her,something wet dripping from her nose, glistening in the dim lanternlight. "Our father is dead." She spits out the words like she has eaten thorns, furious and raw, angry and hot. A lie, the mare says. The words sting at her ears, angry hornets; but she is no fresh-sprung fawn, she is a wolf, a bear, a beast; she will not be stamped down by this mare unable to accept the truth.

The lantern-mare grins, jagged lips parting. "We are shadow-beasts, brethren of black hearts, upholders of Oblivion's legacy; they will fear us, sister. We can have an army of demons at our call, find the greedy beasts and raise them to rampage through this desolate world. They need us to bring them to their knees- it's time for Helovia to fall to our hunger, our ambition." Confutatis urges, her amber eye gleaming and sparkling.

"Let's be more than a shadow."

@[October]
Poopy post. I'm sorry!

Deceased
Blu

The liar calls out to me the garbled noise of impatience and command. It rolls easily off my frame, no allegiance owed to her or her tongue. I am too busy being lost within my own mind, fighting against the tides of sanity that ebb and flow upon the beach of my consciousness.

The liar begins to fade from my attention.

In the moment when I grin victorious into the night, the new plan fresh at feet like a recent kill split open, she steps back into my awareness. I haven't had the pleasure of dipping my maw in the red soup of my kill, my plan, this scavenger has come to lie and take. My ears slick back in defiance, but my wolf teeth bare themselves in greeting. Come my smile insists, yet my stomach roils, hunger guiding me to gorge on two feasts tonight.

I recognize in that moment when my gaze settles back upon her what had brought me to call her in falsehood to begin with. The similarity she shares with him is real, in as much as anything is real, which in some cases I have learned they are not. Is her face a shrine of false hope on this moonlight night eternal, or is it a sign from him, a lighthouse lit by a ghost to guide the wayward fleet he set sail so long ago?

Maybe neither

Another idea snarls into a voice, my wolf's grin sputtering into a pale line on my face. What if her bone-white color is just a suggestion of what she should look like? I could certainly help alleviate her of some of that skin.

My ears slip up, a feign at indifference to lure her closer and give meaning to the colors her head boast's of. I'll tear her face clean off; tear and tear and tear until all the hide has sunken to the earth, until all the muscle has withered to the ground, until all the ligaments and the nerves have snapped and all the blood has run down, leaving only one thing left, the blank canvas of her mortal composure.

She speaks in that moment when my hearing is forward, and I catch a phrase that sets the ideas in my brain all in a spin. Father her mouth speaks. I see the image of her lips placing that word into the air over and over as the realization floods me like a cold dread that overtakes a doomed hare beneath the pursuit of a hungry wolf. Only this time I'm the hare, and Oblivion, well, he's always the wolf.

I almost committed the worst crime against him. I almost took his blood, my blood. In all things good or evil or even nothing at all, the pack stands as one.

I trembled away from her, shying at the pain her frame suggested on my psyche. She does not relent though and her words hound upon me like fists on a barred door. With every syllable the wood yields bit by bit and the splinters come flying at me. The wriggle under my skin and dig in deeper, deeper, deeper until I'm no longer made of anything but wood and then CRACK the door splits and there she stands, unavoidable.

I blink. Black and orange wash and mix and in the haze there is the bone white of Confutatis staring me down. "Come, sister."
I proffer the word like a hand in the dark and if she grips it we will run.

We will run and in the night so drunk with stars and hope I'll whisper my name and that of my father's, our father's. Our fate is sealed with blood, and so it will continue to bind us in an unbreakable pact.
An unbreakable pack.

Howl.

No tomorrow, no tomorrow

O C T O B E R :

Confutatis

Lips curl, jagged and ragged, peeling and cracked, decaying passages whispering of a bleak tunnel, a shadowed pass, a hallowed hall where only a soul damned rests. Fascination equaled only by awe glints in flinty amber eye, admiration of a likewise spirit joined to her by blood and heart. Thoughts, aspirations, decayed dreams, horrific nightmares crackle in the night, cords whipping through the air, about to lash out, make themselves heard on weary, hoarse voices. Oblivion will be made of Helovia, until it's beauty and glory of green and gold is just a faded memory in the sooty minds of the enslaved and the useless workers, the blackening of a youthful country completed through ghost and cherished memory of an ancestor, and Oblivion in two senses of the dark word; the bastard son, one of many, who was known only to Isilme as a conquering warlord, a reaper of darkness, and in the noun meaning forgetfullness. The images of Confutatis' past are cobwebbed and rotted, holes missing in the planks, still she can recall the whispers of fear, the murmurs of terror, as she stalked the world as a young foal in the time of her Father, the Mighty, the Strong, the Demon King! Hail! His army crushing the world beneath its hundred hooves. How the legends awoke in her mind, rich tapestries of times past, and her shrunken little heart pounds in pride and reminiscing for a time long past. But not even the dead can re-awaken from their endless sleep in the stretching shadows, even if their tarnished memories live on in the predecessors of the warlord; and Confutatis snarls, a growl grating from her lungs, the skin around her amber eye tightening as a shard is driven into her heart. Helovia shall never host the darkness the land she was born to did. Still, they can try. Perhaps the endless night was a sign; an omen of their reign to come.

The jack o' lantern's grin fades, and she backs away, hooves scrambling, clinking on loose rock and stone. Bristling, neck arching and ears slanting, the skullface steps forward. Are you afraid, ugly duckling? She wishes to snap, barking out the hard words. Yet the dark mare refrains, narrowing her eyes, awaiting the response. Answer, she urges with her mind, the unfamiliar feeling of hope gripping her heart. The night is dark and long/Only broken by the desperate hope of the doomed/Stars and moon bow down to our strength/The sun shall not rise, and we can trample any in our way. Then the words come, a frantic dove rising in the air, a sign of peace and hope. Peace! Peace of siblings, and havoc to the rest of the world! Her dreams are grandiose and wild, and with a bark of crude laughter she leaps, hooves drumming the earth, careening past her sister with joy. "Let us run, sister, faster than the wind! How long will it be before we must stop?!"

OOC: Long overdue >.>

Confutatis is also making her escape post here!