the Rift

something wicked this way comes

Djinn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I speaketh the Truth</style>

A pale ghost stole through the forest, more silent than the deep shadows of the night. The light of the moon illuminated the pristine coat, making it glisten and glow as though lit by an inner light. Ebony silk flowed in midnight cascade down from the crest, thick enough to hide away many a thing - but not thick enough to cover the massive neck that swelled with muscles and pride. Each step was a dance, a tango to the sound of his own heart beats, accompanied by quivering breath where he pranced over the ground, through the underbrush - literally, because neither branch nor thorn bent as he passed, unaffected as the trackless ground that bared no trace of his passing.

A slight frown rested over the brow of the demon as he went. Piercing blue eyes scanned the landscape cautiously, torn between the thinning of the trees up ahead and the relenting midnight of the sky. Puzzlement was expressed by the flow of the tail, the black-lined ears as they twisted back and forth, searching for the sound of birds, animals, insects... all the creatures that rightfully should have emerged by now, busily going about their springtime business.

Something was definitely off. He sensed it like a prickling in the skin, and as the feeling grew stronger the tall stallion slowed down from collected canter to a brisk walk he was surprised to feel vegetation begin to brush against the feathered legs. The frown deepened, and as a broad, muscular shoulder collided with a tree he had intended to pass through the beast grunted in discontent and came to a halt, grayed nose turning to make sure the perfect skin hadn't been nicked or discolored. Finding it perfectly normal the gray djinni gave the tree a dark look and gave it a brief kick, the short crystalline horn scraping at the bark as he began forward once more - decidedly more careful this time, as he had to veer around the tall trunks rather than go straight on like he usually did.

"Well this place sure has gone to shit" he mumbled and looked in disgust at the snow-sprinkled mud that stained his hooves. "Way too dark, much too cold for the season and on top of it all it fucks my magic up. Did Sunny go on vacation again?" The half smile that stretched the maw seemed indecisive, as if he couldn't settle between amusement and concern. Despite his failure to complete the quest the god had sent him on, Djinn hadn't disliked the fiery deity - and there was no denying that the sun was important to everyone.

But despite the darkness the tall mutt kept going, wary-eyed and cautious as he went. He knew from experience that the Threshold was a busy place; one could never be too careful here.

Circe Posts: 101
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
M.E.

CIRCE
The task was done, the mission complete, the subjects delivered to their rightful domain. It swelled Circe’s spirit to know she was successful in getting Chemical away from her captors; the hope that her ploy was successful raged in her veins, for she did not want the Assassins coming to call on the borderlands next. If all went according to plan, Chemical would be able to sway her countrymen from becoming an immediate adversary for the Grey—but Circe was not a pretentious mare. She knew the Grey were able to crush such a small posse of potential amateurs, and that they would crush them if they came to cross the same path. With this plot, Circe hoped that her family would have no reason to decimate the tiny band.

Making her way back to the verdant hills, the shadowmere decided to quickly sweep through the Threshold once, an effective method of patrolling the southern border and keeping an eye out for brewing trouble. Yet all the while her eye roved and wandered, her heart quaked with the image of Chemical’s young foalings. There was no denying it; Circe had been affected by the presence of two, tiny bodies that hadn’t existed when first she laid eyes on the black Pegasus mare. Their hearts beating so new, their limbs splayed here and there in their awkward ploy for freedom—all of it charmed the Executioner with something painful, until the sorceress melted around her fetlocks in adoration and…..envy. The shadowy mare snorted—there was no being a pussy about it. The twins stirred something within her, the desires she had stuffed into a secret place where pain and regret often dwelled….but the spring time air decided to coax it from its slumber.

Archibald had better not get himself killed, she mused dryly.

Her thoughts were interrupted, however; it seemed as though her foray into the Threshold would not be a wasted effort. Head held high and ears perked forward in alert, Circe caught the poignant scent of stallion, even as a silvery apparition ran ‘twixt the looming trees of the black, moonlit forest. Circe cocked a brow, finding her wayword thoughts to be of a most rambunctious, if not amusing, nature. Not bad, she decided, watching him move with effortless grace between the ancient trunks, he’s still nothing more than a whisper of man, though. I could break him accidently. Her thoughts stayed her own however, and when she called to the spirit stallion it was with an impartial, specialized lilt to her tone. “Shadows walk in the moonlight,” she warned, coming as close as the stallion dared have her come, “I trust you have a destination? Good fortune does not greet the aimless wanderer in this place.”

Image Credit

Unregistered

Her call ran out into the nightly air and altered the direction of the stallion, as though he had been waiting for her all along. As through drawn by an invisible force the demon leaned aside, arched neck guiding his high-kneed steps in a soft arch towards the mare. Without hesitation he came right up at her, the elegant march halting only as he was close enough to reach out a sooted maw in a warm greeting, the trembling nostrils as he took in her scent the only indication that this wasn't a long lost sister he had finally found.

"Destinations... What are they but the goal of the journey" he smiled at her, the lips stretching into a charming, lighthearted grin that made the vivid blue of the strange eyes sparkle and dance with mirth. "I would rather ask what you seek from me, little maiden fair, since you so kindly warn me about the dangers of the road." The djinni blew a warm huff of breath in her direction, a stream of warm air that quickly evaporated and rose towards the brilliant moonlight that streamed down through the canopy. The air might be warmer than it had been in the deepest part of midwinter but it was still cold, still dark; the coat of the stallion showed every sign of shedding with the way he left a trail of glistening moon dust in his wake. Yet he showed no signs of being affected by the cold - whether he didn't feel it or simply chose to ignore it was hard to say.

As suddenly as he had stopped, the handsome steed began to move forward again, intent on passing by the mare and continuing towards the southwest with confident steps. Locks of thick black mane danced around the massive neck as he threw the head around and glanced at the mare over the shoulder, a slightly teasing leer that almost seemed to invite to play.

"You coming?" he asked. "I'm sure we can talk on the way, just to save time..."

Deceased
M.E.

CIRCE
He was good-looking, and he certainly knew it. The vitality in his bones showed through in curve of his neck, the stylish pace he set as he came toward the shadowmere. He reached his maw to her; it was a benign gesture, surely, but Circe was disinclined to return it. Nevertheless, she did incline her neck and head, her own gesture of civility. It was nothing personal against the grey spirit—she wasn’t in the mind to casually touch others in this misty night.

*"I would rather ask what you seek from me, little maiden fair, since you so
kindly warn me about the dangers of the road."*

Some might skirt around this question with fancy, light-hearted words intended to soften the often frequently harsher truth of the matter. Circe was not among these “some”. “I want to know if you’re a danger to me and my herd,” she stated, quite matter-of-factly, the sultry tones devoid of any threat or anxiousness. “You’ve come upon this land in a rather unstable time, I’m afraid. No outsider is trustworthy on sight, and I seek for the protection of me and mine—it's no personal affront on you. You understand, I’m sure?”

Her eyes kept lock on him, even as he lithely moved across her, his steps sure and purposeful as he ambled his way deeper into the darkness. Would she follow? Perhaps until the trees thinned and the air became less congested with the musk of the canopy; she needed to get back to the foothills and report to her Dark Lady, but keeping an eye on this strange stallion seemed a worthy diversion for the time being. “Where do we go?” she asked, following in step with the smoky unicorn; her voice had acquired a different cast, one that was relaxed, almost playful, as it spilled from her maw.

Image Credit

Unregistered

"Of course" he nodded and turned the head back forth, seeming more than just a little pleased that she had chosen to follow him - and also, oddly enough, for her choice of words. "I wouldn't have it any other way. Those fools that trust a friendly smile without asking questions.. I never understood them at all. You, however, seem like one to live a long life."

He ducked down beneath a low hanging branch and shook the head once it passed over the muscled gray back, careful to remove any debris that might have tangled with the black silk. The way he stepped around rocks and trees, climbed over fallen trunks and avoided potential holes in the ground all contributed to a sensation of practiced ease that absolutely radiated from him, offering a sense of security to whoever walked beside him.

But, as he after a moment disclosed to the dark lady; "I'm not sure, actually. I have a friend whom I haven't met in a long time; thought I'd try to find her. She and her followers tend to move around quite a bit however, so I might be running around for a while. Would you care to accompany me?" A brow raised quizzically, inviting yet cynical; he didn't think for a second that she would actually agree, the horned girl seemed like too much of a worldly mare to run off with the first stallion to come her way.

"Or, if you rather would like that I could come along to wherever you're going. It would be nice with a little adventure..." A faint wisp of the ebony tail equaled as a shrug, as if to point out that he was in no hurry either way.

Deceased
M.E.

CIRCE
The shadowmere took her time listening to the musings of the strange stallion beside her. Her body moved lightly, slender limbs carrying the muscled body of the Executioner almost soundlessly through the black underbrush. It was a peaceful night, and despite its cold Circe could detect the faint, dewy warmth that heralded springtime growth. But a certain agitation clouded her perception to this peacefulness; she wanted to get home as soon as she could, without knowing this stranger and his business within plane, it was out of the question.

She allowed his inquiries to slide by her without comment, considering them each in turn; no, she didn’t want to bring him to the Foothills just yet, not until she got some background. “Who is it you are trying to find?” she asked in an easy voice, belaying the supple action of her body over the coarse forest floor. “And, for that matter, what are you called, so that you may no longer be a stranger to me?”

Her eye began to run across him with a different flavor than before; whereas she was playful in the instances passed, Circe now regarded this stud with a professional gaze, assessing his qualities that might possibly fit with their own rugged lifestyle. He’s a dancer, she observed, watching the graceful way he sailed across the dark woodland grounds just as effortlessly, if not moreso, than the shadowmere did herself. He may be brittle, but there also might be mettle to behold from him. I would like to see more. The decision was made. Either she helped this fellow stray away from the path of potential danger and find his “someone”, or she brought home a new recruit for her fellow warriors to chew on—whatever the case, the shadwomere’s time was not wasted.

Image Credit