the Rift

[OPEN] Devilish new faces

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

The journey was long. As their hooves moved north, the temperature dropped until snow was swirling around them. Ulrik's beard had turned black bronze and now white as little flakes caught in the long, tangled fibers. His chest hair kept the stallion warm, keeping his body functioning despite the adjustment. Still, the sun had yet to rise, and he was still powerless. The pair of stallions had walked completely up the map, through the meadow and across the land mass that bridged the icy, northern bay.

Large, deer-like prints followed in his wake as he walked, his cloven hooves combined with his weight and height making an interestingly unique impression in the snow. The full moon reflected off of the powdery white surface, making the bronze-eyed creature squint as he sought the mountains that hid the valley of their home. A sigh moved past his lips along with a white puff of smoke, his breath condensing from warm lungs.

A whimper of discomfort from his pup alerted Ulrik to his companion. He could feel the ache in the growing boy's paws, so the stallion reached over, bending his massive neck down to gather the fluffy thing in his mouth, gently. Then, he reached around and set the pup on his broad back before his swaying gait picked up again in a walk. At the base of the mountain, a pass could be seen that rose at a decent grade with two pillars of rock heralding each side.

"We call this place the Aurora Basin," he said, the deep voice raspy and guttural. "The night has been long, and the sky unnatural. The colors of the sky have been absent for nearly a season now, I believe. Even the power I possess seems to have left me..." Ulrik trailed with another sigh. He turned to his stoic companion briefly and offered a small, mad smile before continuing into the valley.

The mountains sheltered the land, allowing tough, salty winter grasses to grow. A lake that was never frozen took up some space in the valley, and caves provided shelter along the mountain's ridges. The metal, machine wolf that Ulrik had broke a few days ago was now a snowy, lifeless heap near the lake, and he looked at it with no small measure of disappointment. "The lake never freezes, and the grasses are tough. Still, this is home."

"Well, sometimes, for me. I do not actively affiliate myself. Politics undo me, but I am welcome here."

@[Torleik]

BRINGING YOU ANOTHER DISTURBING CREATION
from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference

Credits

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

TORLEIK
Death follows into your watery grave

Torleik followed his new acquaintance's lead in rapturous silence. That this Ulrik character chose not to engage him in pointless, idle small talk pleased the water demon immensely. It wasn't that speaking to others irritated Torleik on a basic level, the stud simply found small talk to be cumbersome and without substance. If he wished to converse and share musings with another creature, he wished to do it with measure slowness and depth. A real conversation. Nothing less.

The air's chill steadily increased as Ulrik led them northward until flecks of snow whorled and danced in the moonlit sky. The newcomer to this land felt himself settling in comfortably the more the landscape changed and morphed into this snowy haven. Winter was a welcome, comfortable season for Torleik, snow-capped megaliths, frozen ground, blinding tufts of kicked up snow - these things he knew well. As the follower, he had opted to fall a few paces back from his guide and observe the stallion in front of him. Ulrik was a shaggy beast, interesting, Torleik thought, since those of science were not usually of a woodsman appearance.

His leonine tail, chest and face were blanketed in a semi-thick coat of fur; Torleik mused that must be helpful in this cold, though he could not imagine it would benefit the dark horse much in a heat wave. Turning his lightning-bolt marked face, he cast his gaze around to the land, seeing how the pristine white powder gave way to hearty tundra grass and a lake up ahead remained solvent. The moon's reflection off the bright white surface did not bother Torleik as much as Ulrik, for his eyes were accustomed to the glare and he knew how to hold his head to best compensate for that.

He listened in silence as Ulrik explained where they were and mentioned that his power had left him. What power? Torleik's curiosity was piqued, and the engineer's mad smile did nothing to sway him. His gaze next found purchase on glittering metal wreathed in snow. Cocking his head to the side, he walked over and nudged a piece of cold alloy, inhaling deeply. It smelled...strange. Righting his head, he realized the pieces of metal looked to be in the shape of an animal...perhaps a...wolf? Large face showing an expression that spoke to desire of knowledge, Torleik finally addressed his companion.

"This metal...what is it? Or what was it," he amended. He had not missed Ulrik's disappointed expression towards whatever this heap of broken things was.

So, this was the Aurora Basin. Home. Torleik was not sure of that. Something felt wrong about this place, though he could not pinpoint the source of his disquiet. Perhaps it was simply that the inhabitants of this place he had come across so far were all...mad, in their own way. Ulrik's madness seemed to be the product of a churning mind, however, and Torleik could respect that. To be so gifted meant something else had to be lacking, and why not sanity? The mind could only do so much, stretch itself so thin and function well so far.

Afrolovertje & ximpossible @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Ulrik watched as the devil-horned stallion saw and nosed the heap of metal on the ground, and we he spoke, the engineer let out a heavy, exasperated sigh. Carefully, he approached and brushed the rest of the snow away with his lips and then shoved the heap over with one of his bronze, cloven hooves. "At one point it was a partially autonomous metal wolf with motion sensors," he replied, still rather melancholy. "I designed it such a long time ago, but it served me faithfully, even when the darkness fell..."

The stallion looked to the side and scuffled his hooves. "I had to work on it manually, when my powers left me, and I pulled the wrong wire. Now, it's broken until my magic returns." He sighed heavily again. He still would not forget that stupid pegasus stallion, Azzaron, and his ruckus that had caused the stallion to jerk back and pull the wrong wire. Naturally, it was all his fault. Bumbling feather brains...

"I was born with my magic, but every now and then, strange happenings will appear around the land and grant some power, but the gods also take a few under their guidance," he said, surprised even at his own helpfulness. Normally he had an acute inability to socialize. Kirchoff was surprised. Ulrik curled one of his forelegs up beneath him and slid into a deep bow, allowing the little runt to tumble off of his shoulders and into the snow.

Kirchoff bounded toward the never freezing lake for something to drink while Ulrik shook the snow from his body, mane tossing and tangling. The black and bronze stallion obvious cared very little about his appearance. Finally, after some thought, the strange engineer looked back at this stranger. "Where did you come from?"

BRINGING YOU ANOTHER DISTURBING CREATION
from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference

Credits

TORLEIK

Interesting that Ulrik had cloven hooves, he noted. Torleik's parents had not possessed an abundance of the typical unicorn traits; in many ways he was merely a typical equine blessed with horns. Ulrik, on the other hand, seemed to be the quintessential unicorn: horned head, cloven hooves, leonine tail. Torleik was not jealous. He did not measure himself against others often, and certainly not in terms of genetic purity. Bloodlines meant something to him, but not whether the beast in front of him displayed the "proper" characteristics.

The dual-horned demon listened to the mad engineer speak, considering the heap of metal in front of them both. It had previously been a sort of living, breathing metal wolf? That was..."Fascinating," he murmured. "You build things like this often? How many have you made?" the large black stallion inquired.

He had more questions but found it prudent to rein in his curiosity. Ulrik did not seem one to wax eloquent and that he was still speaking was, Torleik figured, a miracle. From the engineer's words, he had discerned this land was blessed by gods and goddesses. He felt more at home now than he had before. Deeply but privately religious, Torleik wished to seek out the various deities and learn them, see which best deserved his service. "How would one find these gods?"

Smiling a little as Kirchoff tumbled off his master and bounded towards the lake for a drink, Torleik followed and drank slowly from the frigid water, his beard dripping with the liquid when he raised his head. Ulrik's question caused his normally piercing blue eyes to harden and dim. "From the northeast," he answered succinctly. "From a place you will no longer find, as it no longer exists."

No man is an island.

Nao Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Phantom
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.4hh :: 2
Adoptable

NAO</style>
Treading this lightless night
I will pay karma's price
</style>

""

Darkness had scattered like a plague of hungry rats, devouring all light, spreading disdainful diseases of lost hope, and taking away the magic of living. Though the small filly was born with the attributes of such a passive and useful magicka. Her small lean frame had been weakened, as if she had drew in the liquids of paralysis and felt the oncoming waves of shock in it's substances. When the shadows had taken the realm in hostage, her first impression was that she was free. Free from her allergies, the ones that kept her bounded into the shadows, and worried her day and night. To her, the sun was there to make her panic, to mock her, while it allowed everyone else to bask in it's rolling heat. She was there in the hollowed caves, not allowing the sun to scrape at her flesh. But since the darkness had fell over, and had beat away the sun, she thought of it as a heroism to allow her a time where she could roam in the beautiful realms. But after a while, she was also longing for the Sun to return, lining up in the hopes with her brethren.

In the overwhelming shadows she had awoken. Curled up in the most uncomfortable cave, it was so cold, even with the Weaver's blanket to keep her warmth. Her muzzle drew forward and pulled the curtain of supple blanket. Revealing a small torso, and black leggings. She let out a meager yawn, drowsy as ever yet couldn't sleep thoughtfully anymore. Slowly pulling herself on tall legs, she advanced her way towards the small framed doorway. She sneezed, and looked beyond, around the large valley. She could make her way to the hot springs, to warm herself with the others. But as she could see, that was a tiresome trip to the area through this deep blanket of snow. Instead her eyes looked over to the hidden entrance to The Basin and she could see two figures. Although, it was too dark for her to see at this rate, she began making her way over to them. Her leonine tail's tip dragging in the cursive ice. Until she had reached them, she could clearly see it was Ulrik with an unrecognizable stag. An icy breeze was inhaled carrying the fumes of the two. A foreign scent that she could not know. Was he new? Was he here to join the family?

They were both tall, and powerful stallions that stood speaking of some particular land. Until she realized it was of the foreign man's own. "From the northeast, from a place you will no longer find, because it no longer exists." She willingly stepped forward, curious enough to know why. Hot breaths drew out with a brave question
"Why does it not exist anymore?"

Surely there must've been a reason why it was no longer apart of maps or the universe even. She was silent, standing in the snow, her different coloured eyes staring widely at the two. She blinked before she looked down at the pup who stood by Ulrik. She hadn't known what she got herself into, but her leonine tail twitched with anticipation.

Credits

Ulrik did not mine blood purity - he only minded blood. A unicorn was a unicorn, and that was a deity among the rabble. And there was just so much rabble, all around. Particularly that dragon bitch... Ulrik tried not to think about it too much lest memories of that tragic evening get the best of him. Instead he diverted his attention back to the metal wolf. He used the fact that he had split hooves to hold down a lever that slid between the two halves. Then, he rotated his hoof ever so slightly and lowered the lever, revealing a mechanical trap that opened to the internal mechanisms of the machine.

Torleik's question hit him as his keen, bronze eyes were peering intelligently into the body of the beast. The stallion shrugged his shoulders a little bit, displacing the messy, thick mane and quite a bit of snow in the process. "Often is somewhat relative - I am limited by the resource of heavy metals and glass," he replied, his voice taking a somewhat normal tone. Kirchoff was shocked by the fact that he seemed almost sane. Almost.

Maybe it was the machines in front of him, the puzzle, that allowed his mind to slow enough to communicate in the same manner as normal people. "This model was once some sort of cat, but I destroyed it to make this one. I have gathered plenty of scrap, but without my... skills, it's useless." The stallion then lifted his head from the puzzle with a grim expression on his black, whiskered lips. When the newcomer asked about the gods, Ulrik shook his head a little.

"The gods used to live in a place far to the south on an island covered in blue shit, but I heard that they abandoned that location. When I stumbled across one of them last, they were just standing in the middle of a fucking field like a tourist," he snorted in amusement. Ulrik remembered the bright, shocking orb in the cave as well, and how it had chosen another. Being born with this great skill was wonderful, but like all mad-men, he sought more - he sought greater power.

At that moment, a child had joined them, and Ulrik's bronze eyes turned almost soft. He remembered her from some time ago. She must be nearly a year old by this point. The name escaped him, but eh... he'd learn it eventually. When the child asked Torleik a question, the black and bronze beast raised a brow and smirked. The kid had balls. "Kid, be polite and introduce yourself, eh?" Ulrik said, nodding his horned head toward Torleik. The voice he used with the child was almost kind, and not quite so brutally guttural.

Kirchoff had a mental, comedic break down. Ulrik? Ulrik of all creatures telling another to be POLITE! The pup snorted a little and rolled his nose in the snow, collapsing in the white powder before rolling around. The engineer scowled.

lulzrik

TORLEIK

This black and bronze engineer truly had a gift, he thought, watching Ulrik open up his machine. The workings inside were...amazingly complex and fascinating, and he listened with rapt attention as his friend - was he? - explained about his skills, what this machine was, and the gods.

The gods, in a field, like a bunch of tourists. That amused him.

He did not know Ulrik well enough to truly catch the subtle shift in his demeanor from mad to normal. Thus far, Ulrik had seemed in control of himself and spoke to him like any other might, though with perhaps less tonal inflection and outward expressions."What gods and goddesses are there?" he inquired. "Where do they reside? Where might I go to speak to them?" Torleik wished for perhaps three: a god of war, a goddess of fertility, and a goddess of the moon and the tides. The soft crunch of snow beneath tiny approaching feet caught his attention and the dual-horned demon rotated an ear around to better hear the hoof-falls of this newcomer. As the sounds indicated, it was a child, and Torleik smiled a little. His smile vanished, however, when the child, as children do, asked a blunt and deeply painful question: Why didn't his home exist anymore?

He felt no anger towards the little one, for she knew no better. A child's curiosity was pure, an unadulterated wish to know, and he could not fault that. Such innocence would not remain for long and should be cherished. The smile on his face returned, sad, wounded now. "My home is gone because it was razed to the ground," he answered, then realized perhaps the babe didn't know that term. "Everything was set on fire, and burned away." For a moment, the smell of burnt hair, flesh and wood filled his nostrils and he snorted to push it out, knowing it was just a memory but unable to cope with the imagined scent still. Perhaps to comfort himself, he allowed his attention to be distracted by Kirchoff's antics again, watching the little pup roll around in the snow. Amused in a dulled way, he gently booped the pup's head with his bearded muzzle, the action in line with Kirchoff's playful flailing about. He returned his icy gaze to the horse-child.

"What is your name, little one? I am Torleik."

No man is an island.

Nao Posts: 11
Aurora Basin Phantom
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.4hh :: 2
Adoptable

NAO</style>
Treading this lightless night
I will pay karma's price
</style>

""

Disparate eyes looked above at the two stags. Her lips twitched with uncertainty as she realized she must have made a mistake. For the foreigner had erased his welcoming smile with a frown, and the engineer had spoken to her, nodding to the stranger for her fault. She blinked, unknowing of what she had done. Yet it was right in front of her. Nao then noticed with a small gleam of hope drifting in her eyes for an answer of what had happened to the stranger's homeland. He spoke, a kind and gentle voice was his tone. Yet something invisible to sound was easily told on his face, how painful it was to tell the child about it. Nao certainly then realized her mistake and her eyes widened with regret. He explained what had happened, first with a word that she could not understand; but then told her in a simpler manner.

His home was burned. His home really did not exist anymore. And he seemed to not want to speak of it much. Her leonine tail brushed the cool ice around her legs and she pawed the ground a little, speaking up "I-I'm sorry, I didn't know." Is all she could tell him, all that could explain her apology to the newcomer. Her diverse eyes looked up to meet with both his and Ulrik's before the stranger inquired "What is your name, little one? I am Torleik." She inhaled a frosty breath of air before flipping her tail and replying, to both the large stags

"My name is Nao. I'm one of the Time Mender's children.

She introduced calmly. Her eyes drifting down to the pup who had some sort of mental breakdown before with a little humor in her eyes.

She then looked up, first at the engineer then at the foreigner. She pictured burning forest and grasslands. The horror of equines of all races running away from their torturous deaths. Nao gulped a little at such an imagination and realized this was what Torleik could've gone through. Or even worst. Not only was he probably scared but he also lost a place where he belonged. And now the newcomer didn't have a herd. The young unicorn then breathed "I'm sorry about what happened to your home." She sadly inquired

"But if you're staying here, you'll have a home again." A cute smile lit up her face as she spoke. Ears twitched forward a little more in the filly's own cheerfulness. She knew it must be solemnly depressing to be an outcast. Not belonging anywhere. The girl had hope for this stag; that he could belong here now. Maybe it would make him happier.

Credits

[OOC: It's been more than 48 hours and I've been given the green light to skip Ulrik. Sorry for the length; having a bit of trouble finding inspiration. :-/]

Torleik had always possessed a soft spot for children, and even this little one's painful inquiry into the loss of his home did not dull overmuch his fondness for the filly. Children were the future, the minds to be molded and formed and forged in the fire of life, a way to attempt to right one's past mistakes or continue one's proper path.

He knew that often one's offspring ended up wholly different from the parents, but that was a necessary diversity, Torleik thought. If everyone was the same, the world would be an infinitely boring place. The elder stallion smiled just a little at this Nao's regretful words. "It is all right, Nao," he murmured. "Your question was made in ignorance and I take no offense. I have one for you: who is the Time Mender?" Torleik inquired, having no knowledge of who she referenced.

Nao's words echoed in his head a little, and he wondered...would this truly be his new home? Could he fit in here? Was there anything for him? At the moment, he didn't think so. He felt no urge to remain here, no real welcome - save for this little one's open heart - and no real...anything. Perhaps this was to be expected after running for so long. He had stopped, and now the emptiness set in. Where he had expected mostly pain Torleik instead found a frightening void when left to himself. The pain surfaced when others came around, when their life reminded him of the one he had lost.

Blinking slowly and returning his attention to Nao, he waited for her reply, curious as to her lineage. If this Time Mender had a title, he must be important.

TORLEIK

"The space between our wicked lies is where we hope to keep safe from pain."

No man is an island.