the Rift

The Wandering One

Esther Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Thick blades of grass enveloped cream-colored hooves as the tall mare passed through land unseen by her. Weaving carelessly through the forests without masking her scent and sound was Esther, a wandering unicorn who had been in search for - what seemed to not exist - a herd to call home. A long, whip-like tail dragged lazily across the ground until the mare came to an abrupt pause. She finally realized that this dense forest was unfamiliar to her. Her bloody oculars shifted frantically around her. Not good, she thought to herself.

Getting lost was definitely not on her list of things to do today. She turned her head and looked back behind her. No trace of where she entered, or how to find her way back. With a heavy huff escaping her nostrils, she faced forward once again. Her tail flicked unnervingly while her right front hoof padded against the ground in her thought.

"Well'p," she spoke aloud, assuming no one was around to hear her, "if I can't go back, I might as well keep moving forward." The unicorn's voice was low-pitched for a female, but it still retained its femininity. In a rather slow, rhythmic pace, Esther pressed on through the forest with her head held high. She convinced herself that she was confident in where she was, but really, she was completely clueless.

Her tall, thin ears swiveled like a radar, picking up every sound around her. All she could manage to hear were the leaves of trees swaying and brushing up against each other and the creaking of old branches. Which was good, but such a silence worried her. Beneath the shade of a tree, she decided to stand and wait. For what, she didn't know. Maybe this was all a dream. Maybe she'd wake up and be with her parents. Maybe she'd be where she last was. Her peach hooves dug at the earth, revealing tiny little creatures that dwelled within the bowels of the ground. They wriggled having been exposed to the sunlight, and Esther was able to distract herself from her current situation for the tiniest moment.

Addressed: No one.
Mentioned: Her parents.
Tone: Wary, false confidence.
Word Count: 361
Notes: This is kind of short for me, but after getting angry at my table not working, I'm not so motivated to write a novel.

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow
A P O L L O

And how can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
Through the Threshold he went, eyes open, ears alert. The number of trips that he had been making to this part of Helovia as of late have been staggering, but... It had to be done. The Grey was faltering in their numbers, and their strength. While the core members of their family were strong, resolved, and resilient, Apollo knew that they needed more members. There was a risk brewing, he could feel it in his bones... And unfortunately, they needed more members in their herd.

The Foothills, or the Grey known by some, were sitting ducks. They were changing, turning from the ways of ruthless mercenaries and to the ways of true herdship. A new foundation was what they needed to survive... Or else their land might be stolen from them.

The monochromatic stallion made his way through the forest, eyes lingering upon the dark-enshrouded trees. In the normal days of Birdsong, birds would be flitting about, singing their songs, and the sunshine would be shining through the leaves of the tree's canopies... For now, however, thanks to this cumbersome darkness, Helovia could have none of that. How much longer would it take until the Sun returned to them? With the moon present, hope had returned, but...

A sigh escaped the Mercifuls' lips. Such melancholic thoughts raged through his head, when he needed to remain strong. Hopeful. Resilient like his brothers.

It wasn't long into his abrupt journey that Apollo stumbled across another, a unicorn like himself who lingered in beneath the full branches of a tree. Apollo nickered towards the mare as to not alert her, stepping through the darkness and lifting his head high. Soft, honey-brown eyes lingered upon the mare's frame, a warm, jovial smile crossing his lips. His horn lifted skywards, head poised high, ears tipping forward. Apollo wanted this newcomer to know that he didn't mean any harm.

"Greetings, miss," Apollo called through the darkness, his eyes bright and welcoming, "Welcome to the land of Helovia. I am Apollo; Chief of the Windtossed Foothills. May I inquire your name?"

[ooc: Welcome to Helovia, Esther! :D Just to let you know, there is a Side-Wide-Plot going on that has covered Helovia in darkness, with just the moon and these 'lantern-trees' to light the paths for the inhabitants that live there. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! <3]

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Unregistered
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

Her crimson gaze shown like neon-lit pools of blood, piercing through the dark woods. Esther's ears caught hold of something - what sounded like steps through the forest. She widened her stare and adjusted to the dark as best as she could, searching carefully for the source of the sound. Her ears twitched and her lion-like tail flickered madly. She had a bit of trouble seeing in such darkness; it was a wonder how she managed to locate the tree she stood beside without bumping face-first into it.

The mare's disposition changed from relaxed and curious, to anxious and even alerted. She lowered her head drew herself closer to the tree shielding her from.. whatever could be out there.

"Greetings, miss," ... "Welcome to the land of Helovia. I am Apollo; Chief of the Windtossed Foothills. May I inquire your name?"

Such a gentle voice called out to her. Even the slightest amount of kindness was enough to reassure the wandering mare. Helovia? Is that where I am? The unicorn crossed one hoof over the other and turned herself to face the source of the voice. A long, white horn protruded from the mare's forehead, glinting in what little light was given to the forest.

"It is nice to see a kind face," the mare started with a relieved smile. Her peach hooves took small steps towards the other, until she felt there was an appropriate distance for conversation, "and thank you for the welcome. My name is Esther." She bowed her head respectfully, swishing her long tail slowly, from left to right.

Though, in the back of her mind, perhaps she was too trusting. Not once in her life had she encountered malicious intent and lies - her parents made sure of that the two years she roamed with them - but trusting the stallion before her seemed to be her only option. Not that she was wary of his presence or demeanor, but there's always that sliver of doubt in every living thing.

Addressed: Apollo
Mentioned: Apollo, her parents.
Tone: Relieved
Word Count: 349
Notes: Thank you. ^-^ And thanks for letting me know about the plot, I'd hate to post about sunshine and daisies in a moonlit forest.

A P O L L O

The less distance that seemed to spread between them, Apollo could better see the ebony mare that stood before him. They looked quite alike, the stallion mused, with their black hides with white splotches... But her eyes, well, they were piercing crimson. The Merciful took a few moments to admire her horn, and why... Was that a lionine tail? Not many who Apollo had met sported such appendages, and he admired it as well. Circe, one of the Executioners of the Foothills had such a tail, but... Apollo couldn't recall if he had met anyone else who did. The thought caused him to chuckle.

Goodness, he truly was turning into the social little scholar, wasn't he?

Looking back to the mare's fine face, Apollo's smile grew, his honey-brown eyes dancing with merriment. The painted mare introduced herself as Esther, and the Foothills Chief dipped his head in a display of greeting. "It's a pleasure to meet you, miss Esther," He said with a flick of his tail, "Of course. I can understand that it can be rather stressful moving from place to place..."

Here, Apollo tilted his head, ears swiveling forwards. "If you're searching for a home or a place of respite from your journey, miss Esther, could I possibly offer you mine? I venture from a herdland north from here, and it isn't terribly far. It's called the Windtossed Foothills, where my family, the Grey reside. There is plenty to eat, plenty to drink... And once the sun returns to this land, the view of the mountains are breathtaking."

Unregistered
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

"Miss?" The tall mare couldn't help but to be bemused, yet absorbed in the way this stallion addressed her, "such formality flatters me." A gentle smile creased her light pink lips while her long tail ensnared her left hind cannon - the long, black hairs settled against the ground. Though, any sort of 'title' felt formal to Esther. Living with just her parents as wanderers for quite some time, she never truly learned 'formality.' She does a very good job at faking it, despite her past.

"Of course. I can understand that it can be rather stressful moving from place to place..."

"Stressful, miserable, lonesome," The unicorn stated in a subtle tone of voice. She lowered her bulky, yet well refined head and flicked it back up into the air, mainly to shake her unnecessarily long forelock away from her face. Her satellite-like ears remained erect and forward, listening to the welcoming unicorn before her. She had taken notice of his horn, so blatantly adorned atop his head, and felt even more so relieved that she was speaking to another of her kind. Sure, she was relieved to even be speaking with someone, but another horn-bearing equine made it that much more stress-free.

"If you're searching for a home or a place of respite from your journey, miss Esther, could I possibly offer you mine? I venture from a herdland north from here, and it isn't terribly far. It's called the Windtossed Foothills, where my family, the Grey reside. There is plenty to eat, plenty to drink... And once the sun returns to this land, the view of the mountains are breathtaking."

The black overo was thrilled. She never would have guessed stumbling upon an unknown, seemingly dangerous land would bring her this close to a potential home, and her excitement shown with the delighted expression tainting her facial features. "You are far too kind, Apollo," the mare stated, "you see, I have been roaming for what seems like forever in search of a place to call home. Such an offer is only the beginning of my dreams becoming a reality." The lady's smile grew.

"I accept your offer."

Mentioned: Apollo
Tone: Enthralled, yet maintaining a relaxed composure~.
Word Count: 308
Notes: None

A P O L L O

"Miss? Such formality flatters me."

Esther's words rang in Apollo's ears and he tilted his head curiously, mirth still in his brown eyes. Perhaps it was strange for the mare to hear such words, but since he had been young, Apollo had been raised to show such profound respect upon those that he had met. Andreas, his sister, had taught him that much, and that showing respect for your peers would earn it in return.

"I apologize, miss Esther," he started, then abruptly paused with a chuckle and a shake of his muzzle, "Er.... Esther, if you prefer. Old habits, you know? They die pretty hard sometimes."

Had it only been a year ago that Apollo had stumbled through these very words with nothing but the mentality of a child? He had changed a lot since then, no longer that boyish, uncertain stallion. Now he was turning into a learned scholar, and a seeker of truth. The Grey, in their own strange ways, had helped him achieve that... And Ktulu had done wonders in moulding him as well, and thrusting him onto the mantle of leadership. He would either thrive or fail... Hopefully the first.

Still, the ebony paint continued on, speaking of her weary, lonesome travels, and then, much to his elation, agreed to accompany him back to the Foothills. Apollo nickered pleasantly, tilting his head upwards as he turned slightly to face the way that he had come.

"Wonderful to hear. Our herd is not the largest that resides within Helovia, but we care deeply for our own. I can lead you there now... The walk isn't terribly far, and once there you can get as much rest as you need." With that, the Chief began heading towards home, glancing over his shoulder to make sure that Esther was following.

[ooc: I shall request Esther's rank to be changed to Foothills mare. :D]

Unregistered
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

"I apologize, miss Esther," ... "Er.... Esther, if you prefer. Old habits, you know? They die pretty hard sometimes."

The overo mare couldn't help but to smile, softly shaking her head. "Please, don't apologize," her tone was as light and as kind as her smile, "I don't mind that you call me by 'miss', it's just new to me, you could say." She confessed her 'informality', so to speak. Her long tail unraveled and flicked away from herself, its long hair waving like a grand onyx banner. Curiously, her garnet orbs watched his movements and his body language as he spoke. It was a wonder the mare could even come off as 'normal', considering she hadn't socialized in so long. Or at least, long for her, since she was such a social creature.

Her smile seemed everlasting as she listened to the stallion speak of the herd. He mentioned their small numbers, but the size of the herd didn't matter to her. It was the spirits of the equine, the everlasting bond that was hard to break between each body, that made a strong and lasting herd. Esther held faith and high hopes; she believed this could be a permanent home.

"The walk isn't terribly far, and once there you can get as much rest as you need."

In her happy thoughts, she became oblivious to his departure, but only for the moment. Esther raised her head high and focused her attention to the awaiting stallion. She blinked a couple times before picking up those peachy hooves of hers, and pulling just behind him.

"The walk won't bother me." She assured, seeing as she's walked for long distances before. Esther looked back over her shoulder as her tail drooped to ground level. She gazed for a while at the darkness behind her. The mare thought long and hard, though her mind was already made up. She'd finally leave her travels behind, her old homes, her parents. There was a part of her that felt the need to stay a wandering mare, but the majority of her body and soul beckoned to be where the other unicorn would lead her. So this is it.

Mentioned: Apollo
Tone: Kind
Word Count: 348
Notes: Yay! :D