the Rift

[DROP] Last breath of a survivor

Antheia Posts: 129
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 4
Clo.

I looked at the last remaining five as they crowded around the dying doe. I sighed and stood still, listening to the deer's whispering voice, my pearls starting to glitter with liquid. Her question caught me by surprise. "What does it mean to love, as a mother to a child?" I started to just give up, for I had never had a child of my very own, except for Harmony. But I hadn't been there when she had stretched her tiny legs for the first time, I had only met her that day in the Threshold, when I found her hiding in the bushes. Though, I had loved her like I had held her those nine months in my stomach and had forced against the pain to bring a new life into the world. So I guess I knew how it was, to love a child until the last breath, to know how amazing it felt to know that someone looked up to you for warmth and advise. It was love. All that time, that's what I had felt for her. What my mother had felt for me. And I had never known what that feeling inside of me was when I gazed into her crystal blue eyes, but now I do, now I know exactly what it was. It had taunted me for the last few years of being with Harmony, but now I was relieved, and I couldn't be any happier. Now I didn't have to worry anymore.

"Love is something that is an invisible line, it's unbreakable." I looked to the sky through the branches of many trees, gazing at the stars and the moon, and then my eyes seemed to jerk with a thoughts. "Love is like the galaxy. Gravity pulls it all together, like love, keeping it all attached together. The sun is the creator, and then Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, are all the children, keeping close to their creator's grip. They are a family, and nothing can come between them. Love is terrible in ways too. Though, it always comes back. You will always get mad, but never enough to break that invisible line of love." I smiled at the doe with gentle eyes, my voice soft with concern for the egg. "And that's how I feel with this egg, your precious baby." I backed away a few steps, making sure not to suffocate the poor creature as the others were. I glared at them all, but as I turned to the doe again, it was all a sudden frown. My gaze saddened, now knowing that her fire was dying down, and she would go, turning to clay, giving the Earth back what had walked the Earth for many years. She would return her fire, giving the Earth back it's life, and a fresh green patch of grass would grown in the spot as a gift in return. She would shed her egg and give the child who whom she thought had deserved it most. And for the hard work the lucky one had finished, would be rewarded the friend of their life. One who would be there for them when no one else was, one who would die with them on their very day. Someone who would be trustworthy of so many secrets.

I kept thinking, maybe she would pick me. But then again, did I really deserve such a thing? I mean, for what I had done lately in the past few days, did I even deserve such a precious creature? All I could hope for is that the doe would trust me enough, but I couldn't rely on it. One of the others would do it, I'm sure. Artemis, was the only one I knew from the batch, but the rest also had good explanations, unlike mine. But for some reason, I had this strong hope inside of me, that I had a certain chance at winning over the doe.

Credits
Don't fear of dying, take advantage of it.
- Feel free to do anything along the lines of attacking her, as long as it involves no killing. -

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

They all speak, one by one, quiet and withdrawn now that battle has been done, each lost in his or her own thoughts and reminiscences. In one she senses a deep pain, sorrow for the loss of the red-maned mare; in others she senses greed disguised as caring, for even as they speak of love and its beauty, they continue to offer themselves as surrogates for the child. It is the last, after all, for all the doe knows, and she cannot find the desire to give the egg to those so inclined to call it theirs. As her list narrows, she coughs, a long, hacking, choking noise that makes it dreadfully obvious that her time is near. She can wait no longer; she must declare an heir for her burden.

Her eyes alight on the stallion whose answer was so short, though he had the right of it; he had withdrawn from the group, his words spoken and ignored by the remainder of the equines standing around. They had sought to impress with lengthy, flowery explanations, but it was he who had said his piece and fallen back to wait. The way he carries himself says that he does not expect to gain the prize; she can see even with her blurring, darkening gaze that he has proven himself most worthy. "You," she rasps, lifting her head to ensure her intentions are clear. "You are light and dark. You are fire and ice. You are not a parent, but you may yet see the truth of what you say." Another fit of coughing interrupts her. "You will raise my child. Take care of this egg. Do not fail me..."

And then, she is gone. The egg glows gently in the darkness, awaiting its new father's embrace.

Congratulations, Kirottu! You have received a royal Cerndyr egg! Please update the admin with the name of your new companion and the type of your Cerndyr soon.

Randomized Names
Dice Roll

Talk

darknightoftroy

Kirottu Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Youmna :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Lamplight Whit
"You."

The word chilled him. He cringed, expecting some kind of reprimand, perhaps another curse, but what he hears is something completely different. Between rasping breaths and heaving coughs, he hears the truth of it. He lifted his crown from the ashen ground, blinking the dust out of violet eyes, wincing as he was reminded once more of the burns that peeled at his face. He rose, and wandered to her head just as she declared him the father to this child, he the guardian, the protector, the mother, the brother, the teacher..

"Do not fail me…" her last words resounded in his head, as he pressed his maw against the doe's brow just as the life left her, and she succumbed to death. He had to wonder what had possessed her to make such claims - had the fever that took her life taken her mind as she had somehow seen him fit to raise the last of her kind? He blew upon her still face, gently, as if his breath would give her soul wings into the afterlife.

"I will do my best." He spoke to her, quietly, praying that if he said the words, maybe they would become true.

The gentle glow of the orb caught his attention, and very carefully, he made to pick it up, to cradle it between chin and chest. It was awkward, and yet, the orb seemed to permeate a warmth of his own. As his skin rubbed against it, he felt something he could not describe - a sense of responsibility, a paternal and deep, permanent feeling that he would sooner lose his horn then lose this orb. You are light and dark. Ice and fire. The doe's final words repeated around his crown, as he made his way towards some place he could keep this unhatched youth safe - and perhaps get his wretched burns attended to.

[ *squees*
I would like it to have the Light and Dark abilities - I will be using my 2 Companion Abilities pass to allow this. I will update its name once I have come to a decision. Thank you! ]
background pattern by webstreatsetc.deviantart.com