the Rift

[DROP] Last breath of a survivor

Antheia Posts: 129
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 4
Clo.

As they were all introducing their homes to the small child, I caught the scent of something… wicked. I saw the black tar, clashing itself about in the forest. My eyes widened and I looked at the other equines that had come to advance into another life, a life that which contained a friend that would be by their side to call a friend, to be able to talk to. But I didn’t just want it, like the others who were fighting over the child, I wanted to be friends with the doe too, though it seemed impossible with the others fighting over her egg.

The tar separated, like tearing itself in half, one going one way and the other going another. I glared at the first tar that went to dwell the doe, but I would disagree on that, for I would not let her die in such a way. I would not let her have to think back in the future, and no that there was no peace in her mistaken death, to know that there was chaos everywhere she went. Because that is not what I wish for her to remember, I want her to know she died in peace and there was no disagreement in the middle of her last breath.

The tar seemed to rip her apart, sending shivering memories back into my heavy dome. She looked like Coal, getting torn apart from the pack of wolves. In the distance, I was watching, tears rolling from my orbs as fast as possible. I wanted to fight them off, but it was no use, they were much more stronger than myself, and I was way out numbered. Their canine teeth ripping his soft flesh, and all I could do was watch, until all hope had faded. I ran, but that’s all I could remember, was me running, as fast as my little legs could take me, nonstop.

But I would not allow it to take place once again, I would save the doe, or at least do my best to do so. "NO!" I screamed and tucked my head, aiming my bloody horn for the dark tar. "I WILL NOT LET YOU TAKE HER LIFE!!" My horn stabbed into the thickness, but I had to make I wouldn’t jab the doe in the side, for if I did, what would I be worth? Once, I knew my horn was far enough from doe’s precious hide, I started swinging. I was trying to get most or at least all the tar off the poor innocent creature.

Credits
Don't fear of dying, take advantage of it.
- Feel free to do anything along the lines of attacking her, as long as it involves no killing. -

Apache Renoen Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
(09-10-2013, 06:40 PM)Apache Renoen Wrote:

Apache continued to eye the female Pegasus who had attempted to attack the doe, he was a kind stallion but he was slow to forgive especially when one attempted and act of murder. Even if the doe was dieing that did not excuse her. As he watched and waited his senses suddenly alerted him to something, the forest was far to quiet. His nerves were sent on edge, something was coming and it meant them all harm. Wings splaying out he barely managed to leave the ground before the shadows leaped out at him their evil laughter grating his ears sending a bolt of fear through his heart. With a screech of alarm Apache beat the air furiously with his wings in an attempt to remain high above the black mass as the monster flooded the clearing binding everything in its black touch. His heart pounded with fear and he forced his breathing to steady and remain calm. It wouldn't do anyone any good to panic.

He watched in horror as the darkness consumed the doe, and all the other equine as they struggled, desperate to protect her and her child. Wingtips nearly touching, stirring the branches above sending pockets of moonlight spilling into the clear, wavering and flickering as the branches waved. Apache like the others wished to protect the child, but the same Pegasus that had attempted to attack blocked him from making a dive of his own for the orb, his instincts were to drive that mare away to stop her from going near the babe but the unicorn's horn struck out piercing her and sending her away. It was difficult to maneuver within the confines of the forest, if this black sludge of laughing monsters began to climb the trees even the winged horses could not escape. They had to get the child out and quick!

Moving so he was hovering over the orb far enough off of the ground to avoid the leaping tar, Apache attempted to block the mare from making another dive as he called to the white mare who was forcing her way toward the orb. "Up here!" He cared little to finding a companion or any creature to bind to his own soul, coming from a land where such bonds were none existent he did not even know that such a thing was possible. When these horses spoke of making the young child a companion or binding it to their soul he assumed it was some sort of contract or oath one takes not an actual binding of two souls. Either way this was the farthest from his mind as only one thought filled his consciousness, protect the child. If only he could carry all the other equine to safety, his blood pounded, he hated being powerless!

Walk "Talk!" Think

Table Made by Aztec: CREDITS

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei

The titan was no selfish creature. In reality she was far from it, so when she laid eyes upon that meekly glowing orb her thoughts were not on grabbing it and running, but only of pulling it loose. Her legs strained against the thick, black web, her muscles rippling with the pressure and sweat budding in small droplets on her flanks and shoulder, rolling down her pelt like thousands of tiny, unseen tears. Just a little closer...

As she strained, it seemed impossible that she might reach the orb, yet as she tugged and labored, she felt the tar snapping and loosening, slacking on her ankles as they feebly attempted to further tie the silver mare down. She was determined; eyes narrowed into silver-green slits, crimson tear stain vivid in the darkness on her white pelt like war paint, twisted horn gleaming as the moonlight struck ivory. At last her lips touched the sphere. It felt oddly warm, and she imaged it would be what a heat beat would feel like, if she held it close.

"Nearly....There....Must....Keep....Fighting..." She told herself, spurring herself on as others surcame to the ooze. The horses were doomed, yet a voice came alongside strained wing beats that she could hear faintly over the maniacal laughing of the tar like substance. Up here! Cried a voice and Artemis did not bother to search for the face belonging to those words. There was no time to be picky, nor did she care how the orb escaped. It spurred her on further, determined to succeed. She never had liked failing. Yet in her distraction, she lost sight of the orb. had it sunk? Frantic, she threw her gaze around, searching for the egg.

speech

[Image: 258b4tv.jpg]

Sakura Posts: 41
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: Two Years (at time of death) Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Sakura</style>

I did not think, I did not have time to do so. All hell was breaking loose around me. Thick black stuff was surounding not only me, but everyone else that had come to the doe's aid. I did not care about my life, I cared only for the ones before me. Others had blurred into action, trying to move to save the young child. I tried to leap forward, the sound of my front hooves popping free from the suction. My hind hooves however did not budge. My light green eyes widened in alarm. No, no, no! This is not how i'm going out! I turned back to look at the doe as I kicked my hind legs to try and free them. The black stuff was not only suffacating me, but burning my legs and belly as well. I was afraid, but I was not running to save my life. I ran to save that of the baby. The doe... If I could I would save her as well.

Each move through the dark mess hurt, it seemed to find more and new places to burn me. The pain brought tears to my eyes, as I continued to fight forward. I had to make it. I had to help save the baby. Even if I once again returned home alone, and this time burned... I had to try... This child deserved a chance to live... To grow up.. I struggled forward, I was not giving up on this baby.

"talk talk talk"
MY HEART IS EVER AT YOUR SERVICE.
credits: how-you-remind-me and phototori @ deviantart.com

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

They struggle and they fight, and the darkness absorbs it all. There are horns and hooves, teeth and legs, limbs flailing and tongues wagging, and above it all the din of laughter rises, for the darkness thrives on their chaos. Death approaches, though it has not yet claimed its prize; the tar-minions are aware of its presence, and their chitters grow louder. They revel in the panic, in the discord, in the screaming of the tormented souls trapped within their grasp. Their hold rises and strengthens (is it growing more solid?) and with it their glee. The night is alive with darkness, though one would have difficulty describing it as such; the ground, black as the sky above, roils beneath their hooves as they struggle, all so very focused on that tiny, insignificant egg.

Ah, and there is a light - if I might have warned you, dear heart, perhaps things would turn out differently, but there you are, your horn all aglow, and you wave it about as though trying to banish the creatures, backing away from them. Elsewhere, a red-maned unicorn attempts her own form of magical protection. She will fail as well, for such trickery cannot work on Death's own evildoers.

The magic begins; the world turns white. There is an explosion. You cannot see. You cannot hear.

It will be a slow return to normalcy, but when your vision clears and your hearing returns, you will find yourself bogged in a hardened tar. Its grip hold steady around your legs. You will struggle, have no doubt about that; and you will not break free for some time. Death has a way of doing things, and as you have eluded Him, He will punish you in His own way. Perhaps as you recover from this unexpected turn of events, you will find yourself wishing for the simplicity of a fair fight. But Death does not fight fair.

Who will prove their worth?

Who can overcome?

When you can see, when you can hear, when you can feel, you will find that the doe has not succumbed to the hand of Death; she hangs on longer still, to ensure the safe passage of her child. The orb rests unharmed beside her, though she now suffers from the injuries given to her by the blast. She is beyond saving, but you may try to gain her favor, and that of her child.

The imminent danger is over, but life is ticking by, each second growing closer to the end.

Her voice rasps out, weaker than before. Did you catch the words?

"You must try... again..."

Magic has caused the tar to explode! You have sustained injuries, and will begin your next post blind, deaf, and immobilized. You may show these effects wearing off over the course of your post. The tar and the resulting explosion have also destroyed your nests.

For all ensuing posts, there will be an 800 word maximum.

Injuries are as follows:

Kirottu :: mild to moderate burns along left side of face and neck.
Arah :: mild to moderate burns along right shoulder and side.
Tingal :: moderate burns along the bottom of neck onto the chest.
Raeden :: severe burns along face, neck, chest, and front legs.
Ampere :: gash from Kirottu's horn and mild burns on legs.
Rasta :: moderate to severe burns along sides and legs.
Yuri :: moderate burns along the chest and stomach.
Artemis :: mild to moderate burns along stomach and legs.
Faelene :: severe burns along neck, chest, stomach, and legs.
Antheia :: moderate burns on face and neck.
Apache Renoen :: mild burns on legs.
Artemis :: moderate burns along chest and stomach.
Sakura :: mild to moderate burns along stomach and legs.

This round will end at 1:19 AM CDT on September 25, 2013.

Talk

darknightoftroy

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
They all struggled, so desperate. I feared the foals may be the first to be swallowed by the tar, their bodies smaller in comparison. I feared for Ru, who might never see me again, who will have never heard me say good bye.

No!

No!

I felt a wave of heat, a fuzzy white light drowned out my vision, my ears suddenly ringing. I shook my head, trying to shake the blinding light from my sight. And the ringing in my ears was constant, high pitched bell going off in my head. I neighed out, trying to move my legs. I was still ensnared by the tar, blinded and deaf. And my neck and chest burned with violent waves of pain. I tried to move my neck, but screamed slightly at the feeling. My flesh was burned, my fur singed. I snorted, the pain raging through my brain.

I threw back my head, at least, I thought I did. I couldn't tell what I was doing anymore, my head throbbing to a point that it was practically screaming. I wiggled my legs, but the tar held fast. She was so close, the doe, I could sense her presence, her life slipping. "Doe? Anyone?" I could just faintly hear my own voice, a faint whisper against the screaming winds of pain and fear. I felt fear creeping along my spine, a stealthy spider crawling up my back. I shivered, thinking about what would happen if I never did make it out of this alive. Ru would be alone in the world, living without me. I could never live a life without Ru, and so just imagining it made me shiver.

My sight and hearing slowly returned, but my sight was still blurry and my ears still rang. For now at least. From what my blurry vision told me, everyone was ensnared in the tar, and on some horses, I could see the blurred outlines of burns entangled in the blobs of color. I turned my head, pain shooting through my body. The doe was there, her sides slowly heaving, her life fading. I lowered my neck despite the pain, trying to touch the does' shoulder to show her I was there. She was a bloody blob in front of me, a glowing little blob nestled beside her.

I imagined the pain the poor doe was going through now, drawing the painful, dying breathes. She already had one foot in Death's door, in the condition she was currently in. It pained me to know she was still alive, in the shape she was in. I feared it was far too late for her to be saved, she had gone past the point of no return, her soul hanging just above Death's gnarled fingers. I wanted to help her somehow, but I knew there was no way to save her. "I am so sorry, I wish there was a way to help you and your child." I had bent over, killing my neck even more. My voice was droned out by the ringing in my head and the screaming burns on my neck and chest. I pushed myself as close as I could to the doe, trying to offer her what warmth I had left. "Please, accept my warmth for the time being. It's all I have to offer... I'm sorry." I murmur, my words soft as I bent down to the doe, trying to move myself closer to her. I offered what I had, warmth and love.
"Talk talk talk"
[ hope it's ok tingal is offering his warmth to the doe <3 ]
Tingal

image credits
table by whit

i am a king
and the world is beneath me

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica
There was no doubt in her mind what she had done. Her careless actions had made things worse, and must have destroyed everything. Yet, she knew she was alive despite not seeing or hearing. The pain was horrible. Body though not on fire had been and she felt that. What had she done? Horror did at last wash over her. Little Raeden and the doe had to be even worse.

She was a fucking idiot. A worthless piece of shit. A failure. No matter what she did, trying to do what she felt,what she thought was right it was always wrong. She had failed as a mother,a friend,a Thief,a warrior. She wasn't worthy to take care of another life. After harming everyone but the orb she was done. She had come to the conclusion she didn't deserve to live. She should have been killed as a child all those years ago then no one would have ever been disgraced by her unfortunate, pathetic life.

Letting her knees give out, she collapsed in the heavy tar without a fight. This was probably stupid too, but since she wanted to die why not? Even when her sight started to return she only saw the misery she had forced upon everyone else. Here death take me instead. What else could she do? Finish obliterating everything and everyone here? After this she wouldn't want to live with herself and perhaps giving Death what it wanted. A life. Maybe the others could help the child. She could distract its terrible hunger. No one could help her. No one would miss the worthless red maned.

[Faelene's going to let it kill her. Word count:263]
[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Hidden Account
Sei

As her eyes scanned for the missing orb, the mare failed to see the lighting up of magic, nor realized that the tar around her was exploding until it was far too late.

A blazing light flashed and her eyes closed, squeezing tightly shut. Even if her eyes had not become so accustomed to the dark, it would have been blinding, as vivid and as radiant as it was. The sound of the explosion rang in her ears, the chimes numbing her audits to any other sound. She felt nothing at first, yet the deafness and blindness served to disorient her. She stumbled, legs trembling against her bindings and her shock allowing the tar to tighten its serpentine grip upon her pillars. Deaf and blind, she could feel the tightening of the rope like substance engulfing her legs, she could feel the blood pumping through, trying desperately to flow through the tourniquets. Pins and needles seemed to swiftly blaze upon her lower legs, though as the seconds passed she realized, with a pang of fear, that the sensation was increasing to the point of pain.

It was burning. There was a fire consuming her legs and belly, tarnishing her pelt and singing her hair. She could smell burning flesh. She felt herself scream, yet she could not hear a thing as she trashed against the substance. Slowly, her eye sight returned, at first as static buzzing upon her retinas, then slowly taking in the scene around her. Others were burned, she could see quickly. They seemed panicked, yet still she heard only a high pitched scream of bells. The ringing slowly began to fade, making way for the voices of those around her and, hidden among the panic, she heard the doe;

You must try... again...

Try again? What did she mean? No way could she mean the nest building, yet no matter how hard she tried to simply break free of this stuff, she could not. Panting, her efforts slowed to a stop as she stared toward the doe, eyes begging for release as the burning seared her abdomen. Try again. Try again at what!?

She sucked in a deep breath. A strange tiger-like horse was offering warmth to the doe, another mare collapsed into the tar entirely, allowing the shadows to consume her. Artemis stopped struggling, taking in the sights around her before bellowing; "Stop!" She had a strong distaste for speaking before others, yet there was little choice. "We must stay calm and work together! Does anyone have any ideas of how to get free?" She called out, having no ideas of her own. The only thing she thought might help was thinking of quicksand. In her old homelands quicksand and sinking mud was a common occurrence, and the more one struggled, the faster they sank and the harder it was to escape. "Try not to struggle!" She added, unsure of whether the concept was the same, though it was worth a shot whilst she tried to think. It was hard to come up with rational thoughts when one was burning and trapped, but she had to try.

speech

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
[Image: jWPP4oi.png]

Her mind is confused. Her breath is dying. But what exactly is happening she still doesn't know. She can't feel anything that sticks out with the incessant vibrations that this creature has started to pull into her mind. It is the occasional shout and plea for the egg which she hears. And she can tell that one who was granted wings is willing to try and protect the egg, if someone can get to it so he doesn't get trapped in this muck as well. She struggles a little, but forces herself to concentrate on even breaths more than keeping the ever-clinging tar off of her creme pelt.

Then, everything suddenly shifted. The world seemed to move faster, the vibrations reaching a full on frenzy as she lets out a cry of pain - her head now searing and feeling as if it might explode from the noise and speed of the vibrations as they rattled around her cranium. And, as suddenly as it started the vibrations stopped. Completely. But, with the loss of the vibrations goes her loss of hearing, and the loss of movement. The tar has hardened tightly around her hooves and fetlocks, even part-way up her canon as she stands there. And, other parts of hardened tar create much of a tree-like branching movement across her sides and chest, even part-way up her neck. The vibrations have stopped completely, minus the couple of miniscule breaths of some of the creatures as they started to struggle to get free. She attempted to pick up her hoof, to see if the hardened, rock-like substance would be willing to snap with a quick movement only to feel it tug on her pelt and begin to tear some of the hair off of her flesh. And, with each attempt at pulling she feels a heat beginning to radiate against where the rock-substance is pressing against her pelt. Her nostrils widen, and still her glowing marking pulsates a heart-beat vibration of comfort as it's rays spread outward, a small sign of light in the dismal appearance of the lands for those who are actually gifted with sight.

Her voice chokes out, coughing a little as she feels the heat reaching a level that would definitely begin to sear at her flesh. She let's out a cry of pain, but she cannot hear her own cry - she can simply feel her own vocal chords vibrate enough to know that she has screamed at the top of her lungs in agony. Burning her legs, branding the design of the tree into her flesh. And then, she realizes, that if she concentrates on the vibrations again she can actually feel the other creatures as they begin to struggle as well, some struggling even worse than she had. She wants to yell at them to stop, but the world is still eerily silent and she doubts that anyone else around her would be able to hear what she had to say.

It was a low rumble in her ears as she realized she could hear, and her head had finally stopped spinning from the wave of the growing vibrations of this creature that now had her locked to the ground and causing the burning of her flesh. Try again were the only words that managed to hit her ears. Someone was saying that he was sorry for the doe. And, a unicorn said to be calm. Not to fight with the tar that was encasing them. An idea to get free. Possibly... Rasta concentrated upon the substances which were holding her in place, much as she had the wall that surrounded the Throat for protection. If she could only find the weak spots. If she could ignore the feeling of being burned alive, perhaps she could find the weak spots.

It seemed all of the tar substances were growing weaker by the moment, but it was still far too slow. Perhaps if she kicked her leg fast enough to the base of the tar Ignore the pain... she told herself before snapping out at the tar and feeling her hoof break through the casing it had, disconnecting the tar from the bottom of her hoof as it connected her to the ground. She still could not bend her leg, though, or move forward. But, pain in her neck had disappeared and she could at least move her head around with more ease. Attempts at snapping herself from the tar shackles had not worked as well on the other legs, only creating a few cracks. But, she allowed her hoarse voice to reach the air again. "Try snapping your hooves into the base of the tar. It's weaker there..." she offered, knowing this was the only possible way to end up helping any of them.

800 words exactly
._. it started out probably very close to 2k since I did so much revision and pulling things out. >.<

two feet standing on a principle
two hands digging in each others wounds
cold smoke seeping out of colder throats

darkness falling, leaves nowhere to move

chunga-stock | prints-of-stock

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Sakura Posts: 41
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: Two Years (at time of death) Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Sakura</style>

Everything happened so fast. The blackness that was surrounding all of us exploded! It burned my belly and legs badly. It was the worst pain I think i've ever felt, other than the pain of losing my parents. Everything was quiet, and black. Was I dead? No, surely I wasn't dead... I wouldn't be in pain.. Was I maybe dying? No. No I had to be ok. I'm not ready to leave my family. I don't think Aaron would ever forgive himself for letting me wander off alone... No, I was going to live.

The more I fought to move, the longer it took to make any progress, the more I knew I was alive. Each movement hurt worse and worse. I think I may have screamed once because it felt like my flesh was ripping off. I slowly began to get my hearing back, my ears twisting around. I could hear others moving around. It wasn't long after that my eye sight began to come back. What I was surprised to see was the doe was still alive, just barely. I struggled forward, attempting to press my face against her. I could do no more than comfort her as she died. I could not make any nests, I could not do anything to help the egg. But I could comfort a dying mother, and hope I had the chance to comfort the child while we grew up together without our mothers or fathers.

"talk talk talk"
MY HEART IS EVER AT YOUR SERVICE.
credits: how-you-remind-me and phototori @ deviantart.com

Antheia Posts: 129
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 4
Clo.

And then it happened. I went blind, the darkness fulfilling my body with terror. I could feel the tar stinging at my thick neck and on my dome. I could see and it was frightening me, but all I could think of was if the doe was alright. I had tried to save her but then I got ambushed, by exploding tar! I couldn’t really see what was happening, hinting the fact that my eyes were a pearl white because of the blindness. But I couldn’t hear neither. The sounds that had surrounded me once, had been drained from my pinning harks. What had happened? I didn’t know but I wanted to find out why all this had just happened in a couple of seconds. At first I was helping the lifeless doe and now… I can’t see or hear!! That damned doe was bad luck, that’s the only thing I could come down to.

I raised my dome high, swinging it around trying to see where I was. But it was no use; all I could see was a pitch black pit of darkness. Was my life over for good? Or had it just begun a new adventure in the dark? I didn’t really care at the moment, I had to find a way to get my sight and hearing back. ”Hello? HELLO?! What happened? Why can’t I see and hear?! Please, anyone there?” I yelled out into the night, hopping someone would answer me and tell me the exact words of what had happened. Or was everyone else blinded like this too? It wasn’t just me? Good, because I was sure feeling left out of this horrible game. Whoever had invented this game, needed a good beating because it wasn’t fun at all.

After about twenty-five minutes of the horrifying darkness, it began to fade and I was able to see again. I bounced around, happy to be able to see my surroundings again, though they looked nothing like they had before. The tar had splattered everywhere, destroying the homes that the equines had built for the small egg. I gasped as I looked towards the cave that the egg would had rested upon if I would’ve won the doe over. It was covered in the black tar, seeming to suffocate it inside it’s breathless capture. I struggled and walked over close to the female doe and the tiger-horse, gazing at all the equines that were scattered across the Deep Forest in confusion.

Credits
Don't fear of dying, take advantage of it.
- Feel free to do anything along the lines of attacking her, as long as it involves no killing. -

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

As if the gouge to her neck was not enough to turn her away from this madness of a mission, where one life suddenly became more important than another, than her own, the sludge exploded.

Still reeling from the song of the sword in the stone of her flesh, Ampere was utterly unprepared for the snarling of the tar in her ears and against her eyes. It was a vicious and far too cruel fate considering those gathered all tried to help, in one way or another. Even if all of their aide was driven from selfish reasons, it had been aide none the less, wasn't that enough?
Apparently not.

Like a plane being shot down Ampere wheeled wing over wing in the sky, crashing haphazardly upon her limbs to the ground near the fray. Luckily she had already been low trying to swoop for the egg, but it did not lessen the pain of impact enough to appease Ampere. Truly though, the last feather on the pegasus' back was that her limbs were scored in burns yet again. The hair there had just been laying flush with the rest, having regrown after the violent lava creature's assault - and now this, and for what? A life, like so many others, begging to be saved.

Who's going to save my life? Who's going to fight for me?
No one but herself, because unlike everyone else here she wouldn't stoop so low as to binding a creature at a young and invulnerable age to her soul to keep herself company and provide reinforcement in a battle too big for the small animal.

Shaking her head and combating the ground for balance, wings slapping around wildly Ampere panicked like a deranged beast with sickness of the head, but her crazed motions were enough to yank her free of the tar that latched onto her and crawled towards her. Her vision was seeping back, albeit blurred, and her hearing remain a constant ring, but one that seemed to promise to dull. It was enough of a moment to escape and Ampere readily took it, cantering off into the night and soon enough, up onto her wings.

Fuck this.

[373 words. Ampere flies off and says peace out.]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Kirottu Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Youmna :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Lamplight Whit
They all surged around him. He felt his horn stick into something, and it felt soft, fleshy – it was not the darkness, the monster, but a Pegasus, the unruly girl. He continued on, blind with his haste, with his determination, pushing past the dark form of the winged girl whose nape he had stabbed. His hooves grew heavy, his legs dragged, he moved a step, another… Then he felt them, the others, using their magic, all around him. He felt them engage with this beast in a tournament of sorcery and incantation, and he felt the darkness before them react and recoil, tense and work itself up. No.. it was a thought, a reaction, that he wasn’t even able to voice before the explosion happened. Pain travelled across his face, down his neck, and bit deep into his skin. He felt it, the infection, the darkness, the curse, it wanted to taint his blood, his body – now the taint of darkness would be evident upon even his youthful true bodice, for such injuries would not likely depart without leaving a lingering scar, a reminder. And all for what?

Somehow, he knew he was standing on all fours again, the force of the blast having knocked him sideways, and as he processed the pain of his face, he realised he was blinking.. He could feel the movement of his eyelids closing, painful and slow as it was, but he could see nothing, not the shadowy copse of trees that surrounded them, not the darkness nor even the lightness of those around him. All his senses were numb – a dull, hollow ringing repeated itself in his ears, and then, when he tried to move his limbs, he simply, could not. He could feel nothing, nothing besides the pain, the burning, the torturous suffering. His lungs burned within his chest, for he could not inhale, nor exhale, the air within was growing stale and stagnant, poisoned like the rest of him.

What am I doing?

The silence of his senses allowed his thoughts to run wild, his self-doubts, self-loathing and muted awareness of the curse within him and surrounding him all convoluted into a single oppressing force. His brow creased as a frown deepened upon his Spanish façade – and he realised, slowly, he was able to move that little bit more, piece by piece, a flick of an ear, a blink of an eye, a twitch of his tail. Suddenly his lungs were flooded with air again, suddenly overwhelmed with oxygen – tainted still, by the darkness, by Death, which was determined to linger. Soon enough, the ringing in his ears became sounds he could identify, voices, accompanied by the cruel, rancid tones of this dark magic, this accursed death. As his vision blurred and swam before him, the first thing he beheld was one being swallowed by the tar, the one he had admired before, the maiden with the crimson mane and tail. The darkness crept over her, just as he felt it creeping up his limbs, and in horror he watched as she succumbed, as she bent to the will of the curse, the Death that was being greedy, yearning to possess all of their souls for itself.

No, he said again, to himself, unable to work his tongue to produce the sound. A gurgle, a groan, and he was swaying on feet that were held fast to the ground, to the tar, the darkness beneath. “NO!” he shouted this time, but who he was denying was anyone’s guess. The fading, echoing words of the doe rang in his ears, somewhere in his consciousness, but otherwise all he saw, all he registered and comprehended was death, darkness, destruction. Was he thinking of the egg? No, he was thinking of the curse that was within him, the darkness that would consume him if he didn’t move. Feathers against his side alerted him to the departure of the bleeding Pegasus girl, and oh, how he wished he had wings at this moment. Muscles bunched and coiled as the nerves reignited along his body, the paralysis fading as with a snarl Kirottu’s attention drifted back to the demon that would consume them all.

Selfish is as selfish does? The words mocked him, as they always did, and he growled, deep and angry, determination flaring within him. With a surge of strength, he reared upwards again, wincing at the burn that consumed half of his face and neck. Even his curse had a light half, and he would expose the light that still remained here – the egg, himself.. “I WILL BE YOUR LIGHT!” he bellowed, aiming his horn once more towards the monster, waving his forelegs at it, roaring at the pain that would surely follow from his actions – but pushing onwards with them regardless.

[ 799 words. ]
background pattern by webstreatsetc.deviantart.com

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
A R A H

Confusion...she remembered an explosion...and then the world had gone silent, it had gone pitch black and she could not move. As she tried to move her limbs she felt...nothing. Panic, fear. The tar had captured her, locked her into an unmoving, unfeeling thing. Then a white light slowly began to grow before her eyes...what was happening, had she died? That would surely explain a lot, she laid still watching and waiting for death to wake her up to the afterlife. She of course knew now that there was an after life...she was thinking, feeling emotions and sight was slowly returning. Maybe she couldn't move because she didn't have a body anymore? The white light began to form shapes and Arah waited for death to reveal it's self to her. Blinking her eyes furiously it took a while for things to darken, for the world of death to stop being blurry.

Her eyes finally settled on a black heap...she was back in the forest. She soon realised that her eyes had settled on Faelene....why was she just laying there? Arah tried to rise to check on her mentor, her friend. She struggled though...her strength was still non-existent. Faelene! Arah tried to scream out her name however her hearing had still not returned to her, she did not know if she had made a single sound. The a ringing in her ears, it grew louder...was it sound? "FAELENE!" Sound was slowly returning to her, it was quiet though, perhaps it was permanently damaged. "NO!" she screamed tears flooded down her checks as she lay there struggling to move. Arah knew that she had to get up, she had to fight she had to save her friend. Faelene's body was burned and mangled...dead. "NO! FAELENE GET UP...GET UP NOW!" Her voice was growing hoarse, her hearing was still dimmed but the black body moved no more. Her breaths had stopped, her life's light had vanished and now there was nothing more than an empty shell laying on the ground before her.

Furious anger filled her and amazing she slowly began to feel her muscles again. Working them furiously, she began to pull herself into the upright position. Tears streamed down her checks however she was no longer sure who she cried for. Faelene...the egg...the doe...the others...herself... She was bogged in the tar that had claimed her dear mentor, she had been captured in the hardened horror and nothing was helping. she could hear voices around her but with her damaged hearing nothing was clear, no voice helped her. For the first time since arriving here Arah felt truly alone. She worked hard to escape the hard tar and soon a leg snapped free, hope quickly filled her she began to struggle to free the rest of her legs. One by one they came free, the skin burned and bleeding from scraping against the hardened tar. As she stumbled away from her almost grave, her golden orbs rested on Faelene's tar covered body once last time.

Now she turned to the doe. She thought the girl had died in the tar, she was wrong. Moving closer Arah studied the dying doe, a tiger offered his warmth, Arah had nothing left to offer. They had to try again? Try what again...build another nest? Arah looked at the burned, black tar covered forest. How could she build another nest out of the forest now? Should she just give up and walk away....no. She was a fighter, she had survived worse. Turning from the body Arah got to work, this nest would not be as fine as her last one...but it would be sturdy. Snapping at the tar with the point of her hoof, Arah managed to shape the sides for a box again. Then she rushed away to a part of the forest that wasn't killed in the tar battle. Scraping up more tree sap onto her legs, which stung at her burns and cuts, the white mare hurried back to her box sides. Scraping the tar off of her battered legs, Arah formed the box again.

Next she found some more unburned leaves and added them into the box. finally some stable vines to carry the box with. She worked with the same steps again, filling the box with soft things and made sure it was stable. Then she carried the tar box back to the dying doe. The thing that had finally killing her was going to help keep her child save. Ironic right? "I will be here until you draw your last breath." Her heart still ached over Faelene's death, the time to mourn her friend would be later however.

" "
795 words.

And a sun set to lay away your day to day fears

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The darkness, oppressive before the battle, is even more so now as it presses in on the dwindling bunch. The forest is silent, pregnant with the throes of loss and confusion that follow senseless conflict. Death, of course, sent His minions to do his bidding, as is His right; to His mind, the mortals had merely gotten in his way. Still, they had been poorly rewarded for their efforts, for even Death knows that for one life given, a new life must begin. Such is the circle of life. And so as the red-maned fae fell, Death recalled his bickering followers (for they could not seem to decide amongst themselves who would deal that last, fatal blow) and granted the doe her last peace.

A sacrifice for a sacrifice, although it had been so in name only.

The tar crunches dully beneath your hooves now, motionless and hardened beneat your hooves. Further attacks leave only a fine, ashy powder at your feet, though I'm sure it's a wonderful exercise for anger management. Perhaps it is your imagination, but you can almost swear the doe's antlers glow more brightly, if only faintly so. She accepts the warmth and affection that flowed from the group surrounding her with softly murmured thanks, her head stretching in such a way that her nose just barely brushed her egg. Tingal's warmth against her side was a comfort, just as the presence of her unborn child was. So, too, was the outpouring of love from the others gathered round. It was enough, for a moment, to give the doe temporary life, as love is so often wont to do. "Thank you," she whispers, and it echoes through the clearing, reaching each of those assembled in turn.

"My time is past," she reminds them in a hoarse voice, and though she sounds broken, she is also calm. There is no desperation about her now, for she knows that her time to choose is near; so, too, does she know that the recipient of her most precious gift is among those surrounding her. "But my child's time grows near." She allows her gaze to drift around the circle, meeting each of their eyes in turn. "What does it mean to love, as a mother to a child?" she asks them. "Tell me true, for I will know if you lie."

The following characters have progressed to the final round:
Tingal
Rasta
Antheia
Kirottu
Arah
Artemis

If you have been eliminated, you may continue to post if you so choose. If you have questions as to why you were eliminated, please PM the official account.

Word limit of 800 continues.

The final round will end on Monday, Sept. 30 at 9:08 PM CDT.

Talk

darknightoftroy

Hidden Account
Sei

Try snapping the tar, one horse who's name eluded her spoke out. Artemis struggled, kicking back with powerful legs until, at last, the frozen tar snapped and gave way under the force. As she turned, her eyes fell upon the fallen horse and snapped over the deer with wide eyes. Is this what it took to save one small, seemingly insignificant orb? The wounds on those surrounded her were vivid under the soft glow of the deers horns as the tar hardened and crumbled under her movements. Death had stopped its onslaught, it seemed, yet the unicorn was still on edge. Her banner twitched and her ears span, waiting for the screams of darkness to arise once again.

She heard nothing but the breathing and hushed voices of those around her.

No screams. No death. It was over.

Her body burned as she pulled her four pillars from the hardened dust, stamping a heavy hoof upon the vile substance. It crumbled like charcoal beneath her weight, lodging into her hooves and staining her ivory pelt. It seemed as if this journey had been one of only loss, however as she moved her gaze, the light seemed, if only for a moment, to brighten upon the doe's brow. She spoke softly, voice barely a whisper; What does it mean to love, as a mother to a child?" she asks them. "Tell me true, for I will know if you lie." Artemis did not know what love was, nor had she ever had the opportunity to love a child.

She was loveless. She had no right to raise a child. The fawn deserved much more than she could offer. With a heavy heart, she moved closer to the small gathering, her body throbbing and burning, yet she felt almost numb to it. She remained quiet for a moment, yet she knew if she thought to hard the words would become a lie - calculated and robotic. Instead, she closed her eyes.

Her mothers face was blurred and distorted, yet the love she had for her mother had been vast. She was her protector, her best friend, her teacher, and despite the ups and downs, she would never stop loving that mare. She smiled softly to herself. Love is eternal and unconditional, not something you can turn on and off as you wish, where the happiness of another person is essential to your own. You might fight and you might not always get on, but in the end, you are there for them. My mother was my best friend. I only hope that someone else might view me in the same way I saw her." She murmured, almost shyly. Knowing that this child would not be able to see her true mother in that light saddened the unicorn, yet if she was chosen, she would sing songs about the brave, beautiful doe who died protecting the one she loved.

speech

Tingal Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17 hh :: 9 years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
The doe accepts my warmth, and I am glad she does so. While pressed against her, I crane my head. Horses shouting, so many of them calling, desperate to regain their sight. I flick my ears back, my sensitive hearing causing the shouting to be twice as loud. My head throbbed from the explosion, and my muscles ached. This was so much effort for such a small orb, for such a small unborn child. But I suppose we are all selfish in someway, no? I tried to keep Ru in mind, wondering if I and the unborn child, together, could watch over the strawberry girl as she grew.

Suddenly a mare wails, and I crane my neck, despite the pain. I watch as a pristine white mare screams a name, Faelene is the name she is calling. I drag my green gaze to an coal mare who has sunken to her knees, her body being devoured by the black tar. For a moment I think blood is pooling atop the tar before realizing it is the mare's mane, her bloody red locks trying to escape the tar's grasp. I turned away, afraid to look. Faelene, the red maned, sunk into the depths of the tar, and my heart sunk with her. We had already lost one to this stupid game, and I was about to give up. Several others had already left, clearly not wanting to take anymore chances.

I watched as a white mare with an odd red marking on her skull stamped the tar to dust, walking away afterwords. Curiously, I began to hesitantly stomp down the tar before trying to carve away at the doe. I remained close to the doe, continuing to provide my warmth. It was then that I saw the clearing brighten only slightly, a faint increase. Was it because of the love being shed? Or was it because the doe found hope within us? Did she see something behind our eyes, a hidden voice that speaks with the eyes of others?

I exhale, my lips quivering. I felt nervous, my heart thumping. I was so desperate to get the orb, for several reasons. I wanted to raise the unborn like my own child, replacement for a child I may never have. I wanted to raise the child to be a leader, a powerful creature that could live beside me. I wanted to train this child to protect Ru, and even though she's capable enough to defend herself, I would still let this child stick with Ru as protection.

I listened as the doe asked a question, a question I know little about. But nonetheless, I tried as hard as I could. I was no mother, nor had I really had no mother."For me, love is a foreign thing. I never had a mother for very long, nor a father. I had no parent figures to replace them, and so as a child I depended on my random encounters with others to guide me. I don't wish your child to go through the same thing, I wish to be a parental figure for it, to guide it to the light, to be it's light. I will love it not as a companion, but as a piece of me, a piece of my heart. Never will I once let the child go astray from it's path or stray from the light. I will offer this child my love and attention, as a mother does to a child." I look at the mare, a faint smile on my lips. My heart beat, both panicking and beating for excitement. I was eager, desperate for this hole to be patched. My soul was willing, my heart was too, willing to be given to another half. I spoke words of truth, my tongue would not lie, it would not work for the side of the dark.
"Talk talk talk"
Tingal

image credits
table by whit

i am a king
and the world is beneath me

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
There were screams. She was lost as she struggled to find her exact placement in the vibration covered forest. Things were slowly beginning to settle down, the world falling back into it's correct place once more and it was only then that she began to realize the substance was hardening like lava - turning into brittle rocks. It still burned at her flesh, but it was minuscule - the pain having dulled tremendously - but whether that was from her own mind attempting to block out the pain she no longer knew. That was when she finally began to take in the entirety of her surroundings. A mare had fallen. A mare had given up the hope to fight the burning of the tar and seemed to have sacrificed herself to this substance that was controlled by whatever was keeping such a barrier around the gates of Helovia. There is screaming for that mare. Screams of struggle, of pain, of torture, of sadness. Screams that can only be matched with the loss of someone so close that one could not truly understand unless they had lived through it.

Rasta swallows, feeling her dry throat becoming hoarse as she continues to kick out at the hardening lava-like substance that was attached to her legs and stomach like shackles. Someone else would have to help her rip the hardened portions off of her side once this was finished, but for now all she cared about was the ability to move again. So, she snapped her hooves out, putting more strength into the areas where previous cracks had been made until the substance shattered and fell like ash around her flints. A harsh cough, and she can hear the sound of the doe's voice. A thank you is whispered, and Rasta feels herself second guessing whether she has heard it correctly, or if she is simply imagining the doe speaking.

Burnt legs edge forward, her entire frame trembling and wincing in pain with each step, with each vibration that is sent through the scarred flesh from the second degree burns and the few, scattered, third degree burns that laced her stomach and forelegs. The doe continued to speak. Her voice was hoarse, much like Rasta's was bound to be if her words had come out when she had allowed her mouth to open to respond that no thanks was necessary. She wanted to know what it meant to love a child. She wanted the truth. She wanted it to be a mother and a child. Her miscarriages flashed through her skull. Her child who was with his father, learning his way in a world that was tortured. Her soul was missing, not only from her lost companion, but from the lack of her mate and her son.

Stopping beside the towering stag with the deep voice I listened to the other bulky mare speak and the stag offer their insight before my choked voice appeared. Broken, hoarse words emerged from my jaw after a few, sickly coughs. "There is no real meaning to love that can be explained simply through words. When you love someone you do not care about their faults. You do not care about their strengths. You can feel a connection to their soul, and when they are gone you feel as though part of you is missing. You would do anything for that one which dares to hold your heart and to try and protect it - as you do with their's. Love for your child is even stronger. I know what it feels like to have a child ripped from your grasp - either from death, miscarriages, or being taken a prisoner and not knowing if the rest of your family is alive. The love never dies. It holds true throughout time. It is an eternal fire burning within all of us, awaiting the spark so that it can thrive. Love for a child begins the second they are conceived and the grief from that love when you outlive them is something that rips you in two. Love... it's the only thing that ensures a child a good life. Its the one thing that, no matter what pain they might have to endure, they know they can fall back onto. The love will always be there, between a mother and a child - for if it's not a part of both of their souls is missing. And that part will never return. Love is so strong, it can break all the chains of hate." she pauses, coughing again as her body pleads for water to soak her burns in and to sooth her parched throat. But she adds on one more sentence. "Love is the only thing I have left to give to you - to your child..."
800 words exactly again.
Rasta likes to give me long-winded answers to cut down >.<

Kirottu Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Youmna :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Lamplight Whit
He fought. And he fought more. He thrashed, he stomped, he slashed with his horn of pure quicksilver through the darkness. He raged at the death of the one he did not know, he raged at the darkness, at the tar, at first completely oblivious to its changing texture and temperament. With every violent movement he was able to move more freely, to think more clearly, to slowly perceive all that slowly fell around him, until suddenly he was just standing amidst a world of ashen memories. He blinked, once, twice, thrice, deep breaths rattling his ribcage as he regained his bearings on the world around him. His skin itched, it burned, the pain that coursed across the left side of his face made it difficult to keep his eyes open, to keep his ears focussed on the sounds around him. His crown felt too heavy to hold up, and so it drooped, even as he felt others moving to a halt around him. He peered at the world through thinly slitted eyes, his façade pained into a thick grimace, his vision blurry from the burning that blazed down his neck and across his face. He was saddened by the mark it would surely leave upon him, and he wondered if it was worth it – he asked himself again, what am I doing here?

He had been drawn here by the crowd, and he had lingered because he saw an opportunity to destroy darkness, to eliminate the spread of what he believed was an extension of his curse. He sighed, again, and again. Ears twisted atop his chiselled, charred face, grabbing at the various sounds that were beginning to emerge now. He recognised words, a voice, and replies, but it was a delayed reaction for him, a few seconds worth of processing before he swallowed, moistened his throat, and wondered at what on earth he was going to do now. Explain love? How could he do that? He didn’t understand what love was, what it meant to love anything but himself. How was he meant to explain a mother’s love – his own had laughed at him when he awoke one morning with a curse, laughed at him and did not stop him when he fled the lands. Was that love?

Was that what he wanted to offer this child, the last of its kind?

No, the thought thrummed within him, as he gathered himself up once more, and forced his gaze to train upon the fallen doe, who laid beside the gathered. There was no space for him to get closer, no space for him to offer his own body to her failing one. He had fought the darkness, because he did not want others to suffer from a curse similar to his affliction. He had been selfish and selfless at once, wanting to be the hero, to slay the darkness and reap the reward – but what reward? To stop the spread of darkness? Did he truly want to be responsible for the life of another being, another soul?

He looked directly at the doe, waiting patiently for each to say their words. Everything they said was true, and probably more fitting, more deserving. But something had to be said.

“A mother’s love is unconditional. It is without compare. It is complete, and total devotion. It is acceptance, no matter what. It is adoration. It is the nurturing of one’s true spirit. It is the guidance that would allow one to find, and embrace their full potential, without smothering the fire of one’s soul. It is the perfect balance of light and dark.” His words were not as colourful as the others, nor as lengthy. It took him a moment to realise the new stinging upon his face was caused by a wetness leaking from his eyes. He did not speak of his past, there was no point in reliving the horror that was his faulty, yet at the time, seemingly privileged upbringing. There was no point in saying anything but what he had said, no point in thinking about all that he had lost, all that he would never gain..

Weariness infected his body, as the adrenaline of the fight left his muscles twitching, his limbs shaking. He nodded his crown to the doe then, and the others present, before moving off a few paces, and laying down – alone. He would await the doe’s death, so that he might see this event to its end, and find some semblance of closure on this dramatic turn of events.

[ 758 words. ]
background pattern by webstreatsetc.deviantart.com

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
A R A H

Arah stood with the rest of them watching the doe dying, silent tears for her dead mentor still poured down her face. The white raven was ashamed to look at the body now, her entire soul ached with pain....more than that. Pain filled her entire being. Why did Faelene have to leave them before her time? Why was this doe dying before her time? all strength left her and she collapsed to her knees in front of the doe and tiger, her long hair spilled around her, for a while Arah stared at the strands while glossy hair. So fine, so pure. Was Arah as pure as she made herself out to be? Her thoughts flooded to Nonnie, to Crowley and to the rest of her friends and family. As soon as the doe said her goodbye Arah would return home to check on her family; then the doe raised her dying voice, Arah's orbs flickered over to her face. 'What is a mother's love?' How on earth should Arah know? Her mother hadn't always shown love, rarely was Arah looked over affectionally. Or maybe she did know...she after all loved Nonnie with all her heart, that little filly was like her own daughter. Everyone took turns in

"Love is both a beautiful and terrible thing. But a mother's love only holds room for beauty. As a mother as soon as your eyes lay on your child you vow to love them for the rest of your time. To help them love life, you teach them to stand alone but you are always ready to catch them when they fall. You promise to always hold them with tenderness or strength. You will protect them with your life and you will do you best to fill their every need. You have the patience that love demands, patience to passionately love your child in all their forms." It didn't matter that at times she doubted Nonnie's ability to love everyone, if it came down to it, Arah would lay her life down to protect the young girl that had captured her entirely. Golden orbs rested on the dying doe that lay before her. "I vow to love your child as mine, if you pick me, I will raise the baby to remember who and what she or he is. One of a kind." She didn't want to put pressure on the mare to pick her, it was more just a promise to her should the mother pick Arah.

Sad eyes turned to the friend she had failed once again. "Oh Faelene..." A whisper filled with the sounds of a broken heart. Her voice fille the wind and her tears finally begin to slow. Red and raw eyes she looks back to the doe not wanting to appear weak...but was loving really such a weak thing? No it wasn't, it was proof of how strong she was. She was willing to open herself up and accept others into her life and the warmth of her heart. "It has been an honour to have met you mam."

" "
517 words.

And a sun set to lay away your day to day fears

]
And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽