the Rift

[OPEN] A Glance Into the Abyss

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

New as he was, Torleik was not privy to the machinations of the Basin leaders and had no inkling of the impending invasion. If he had, he might have elected not to fight, lacking in loyalty as he was to anyone here. Fighting was something Torleik understood and did well, but it took a reason to truly fight. Being displaced from this location to another within this land did not motivate him overmuch; it would just be another new 'home' to acclimate to and figure out where - if - he fit in.

His discovery of this dark but alluring mare turned his thoughts for a short while and Torleik was surprised to find he was speaking to the Basin's leader. Perhaps a normal stallion would have been intimidated, but he was not. Even female leaders among his people had been nothing but another mare at their core; there was nothing inherently holy about a leader. Most leaders had gaping faults large as their admirable qualities that had put them in their place of power - unless those faults had worked in their favor to displace and step on others already.

That Psyche greeted him so made Torleik feel strange. Her voice warmed him, but he was no fool. There was a blade beneath those words, something sharp and dangerous.

But she had welcomed him home.

Home, as if he'd been missed here, and she was pleased to see him.

Lonely, uprooted and empty as he was, that small gesture clouded his judgement and dulled his instincts telling him to be wary. He was being paranoid, he told himself. Just because many of the mares he had met thus far were marginally unhinged didn't mean they all were. This woman led the Basin, after all - they must have some faith in her for good reason.

And she wanted him here.

"My Lady," Torleik rumbled. If she was the Lady of the Basin, where was her Lord? "This eternal night may hide all manner of beasts more threatening than myself. You seem confident, walking about by yourself - lost in your thoughts as you were," he added, subtly letting her know he had been aware of her before she had discerned his presence. Torleik knew it was important to walk a fine line with leaders: you had to be just dangerous enough for them to wish to use you on others, and not dangerous enough for them to worry you would use yourself on them. It was a long game, one he did not overly enjoy, but such were the necessary politics of being a subordinate who wished not to remain nameless.

TORLEIK

"I don't know what isn't real, but it's easy to beat me. Suck it in. Life is sink or swim: love is blinding, no surviving. Can we live a life of peace and happiness? I don't think so. No denying I am scared to lose the things I love. I'm in control. This is how, this is how it's going to end."

[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
A Glance Into the Abyss - by Torleik - 09-01-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: A Glance Into the Abyss - by Psyche - 09-17-2013, 11:49 PM
RE: A Glance Into the Abyss - by Torleik - 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: A Glance Into the Abyss - by Psyche - 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
RE: A Glance Into the Abyss - by Torleik - 10-17-2013, 09:11 PM