[PRIVATE] one foot on the ledge [Rasta]

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
Alleo
and I know its hard when you’re falling down
and its a long way up when you hit the ground

It was still dark, but at least it wasn't so damned cold anymore. As minute as that might seem to anyone else, it meant the world to Alleo. He detested the winter, loathed the snow, and abhorred the icicles that would form on his whiskers and dangle there, taunting him. While he couldn't wait for the sun to finally rise, he had a hard time completely hating the darkness like so many of his herdmates seemed to. He liked looking up at the moon and the stars and trying to count the millions of them that sparkled ever so gently in the sky.

His hooves scraped across the ground as he walked, eventually leaving the grass behind as he sunk into the sand. The beach. His ears tilted forward and he paused as he listened to the crashing ocean waves. His tail twitched and the corners of his mouth pulled down into a frown. Alleo didn't particularly care for the ocean, but what would be the harm in standing on the beach and listening? His weight shifted as he contemplated turning around and going elsewhere, but a sudden surge of stubbornness drove him forward. He had wanted a break from the Foothills and he'd be damned if a little bit of water drove him back home.

The pale stallion snorted and trotted forward, tail flicking back and forth, his mismatched eyes wide as he tried to see more thoroughly through the darkness. The sand began to harden and, still, he trotted forward. Waves crashed forward, washing over his legs and he froze mid-step. The water was a lot closer than he had anticipated. Another wave soaked him to his knees and he snorted again then turned on his heels and cantered up the beach to where the sand was soft and supple and had not been touched by the ocean water.

Once he felt comfortable he stopped and slowly turned back to the ocean berating himself mentally because he had run from the ocean. What was he, a foal? He sighed and looked up at the sky and all the millions of stars that twinkled down at him. Often he wondered how many souls were up there among the stars that had been guided by the gentle gods of his homeland. There was one thing he knew for sure; and that was that neither of his dreadful parents were up there. He wouldn't see them until he went to Helovia's Heart because he was sure they were down there burning in the hell that they wanted to create.

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
give me your eyes for just one second,
give me your eyes so i can see
everything that i keep missing

She moved silently. She moved deftly. A purpose was hidden underneath her rippling muscles. Even if it was, quite simply, to pull away from everyone in the Throat. It was too much. She had felt the desire to seclude herself. But she felt it impossible with someone always watching her from above.

The vibrations were not the rhythms that liked to throw her off as if she could not breath or to reset her heart. And, with the calming motion of the waves she sat farther away from the water, moving along the edge of the beach where some brush was still present. Milky eyes surveyed the land. She was mostly alone - or so the vibrations said. So, when she started to inch upon another stag she was glad that he seemed to high-tail his way out of there.

Thank Gods. She was alone. As he ran out there, she waded out into the water, her marking on her left haunch was glowing vibrantly above the waters, and the moon was gently outlining her frame as if it was the sun behind her. She looked out, deeper into the water. Everything was peaceful. Everything was calm. It was sweet. It was a semblence of home. All the waters and the way they lapped up against her frame. She would have to come back here more often.

But, it seemed that the same build of horse was returning. The steps familiar as well. She was not to be left alone this time. So, as she turned her head in the direction that he was approaching she let out a small whinny of greeting and nothing more.

278 words
it'll get better. i promise ._.
Image Credits

ali
Alleo

Alleo stood looking up at the stars, counting them in his head though he would never be able to count them all and he would eventually end up counting the same ones over and over again. What would it be like to be up there, looking down on the world? One day he would know because he would be up there. He would die an honorable death like his forefathers before him, with the exception of his father, of course. Torfa would guide him and he would become a guardian star and would shine down on his sisters because even in death he would watch over and protect them. A grin curled the corners of his mouth and the stallion closed his eyes and shook his head. Only seven years old and he was already planning on what he would do when death claimed his body and his spirit ascended.

His eyes snapped back open and he looked back toward the ocean. How could he not notice that he hadn't been alone on the beach? His ears tilted forward and he whinnied back. Seriously, how had he not noticed the glowing marking just above the water and the way the moonlight outlined her slim frame? Oh gods, and he had run from the ocean like a scared little foal. It was not a good first impression and Alleo was all about making a good first impression. His weight shifted, pale hooves scuffing the sand. He'd just have to make a better second impression.

When the mare stayed in the water Alleo finally gave in and ambled forward, only stopping when the water rushed over his fetlocks. His muscles remained tight, but he did not turn and flee the water. The stallion cleared his throat and gave a friendly smile. "Hello." he said, trying not to flinch when the water rushed over his fetlocks once more. "I'm Alleo." Smooth, real smooth. He grimaced to himself. His second impression, it seemed, wasn't much better than his first. If it weren't for the water he would be perfectly at ease and would have a pleasant conversation with a complete stranger.

Damned water.

She stood quietly in the water, allowing the waves to lap up against her tiny frame. It was relaxing, somehow, to feel the ever familiar waters that had used to circle around her lands like a winding snake. Tons of rivers and streams and lush vegetation surrounding the edges of them. That had been her life. And now, she chose to live in the desert - where all of that seemed to be long gone.

It was a sad image, really, just how different the two lands were. And, now, without her hawk companion there to complain to, she was beginning to realize just how alone she was. Apodis had found his way here just as she had, and she had one friend in Sohalia. But, Sohalia's time was to be spent with her child - which was understood - and she could not allow Apodis to spend his every waking moment protecting her from someone who would not dare to go looking for her anymore. He had control of the entirety of her old land. He had no reason to find the fleeing prisoner. She was the only one with a reason to return.

She was jerked away from her thoughts when the stag seemed to return from his run away. And, so she offered a welcoming whinny, listening as he returned the call. Good. Friendly. She wouldn't have to fight today. She was too exhausted from the emotions that had been running high with the invasion that had recently happened to care enough to fight. His hooves scuffed the sand, some of it being snatched up by the water and pulled into the depths of the ocean again as he stood there, shifting his weight. Rasta didn't move just yet, the water was her safety net, but he seemed to find it the complete opposite.

His muscles were taut as he inched into the water, but not daring to run from it as he had the first time. And so he cleared his throat and offered a friendly smile which she mirrored genuinely upon her maw. He was trying so hard not to flinch, and a little bit of concern flickered through Rasta's facial features. He gave his name without asking for anything else. And so, she began to shift her weight and pull herself out of the water, her left side edging past his right (showing the glowing marking that she didn't realize she had) as she bumped her maw against his shoulder, not saying one word yet. Once her dripping form was upon the sand, a few paces away from where the waves dared to reach, she gave a small shake to get off any excess water that had clung to her frame before allowing her silken voice to pool out into the night air. "Pleasure to meet you, Alleo." She said, her blind orbs gazing in his direction without locking onto his frame - looking directly past him where she imagined his outline to be. "I am Rasta. What brings you out here?" she murmurs, starting up a small conversation as she flicks her tail, perking her audits up.

528 words
Image Credits

ali
Alleo

Alleo watched the mare's every move closely as she began to remove herself from the water, though he found she was moving teasingly slowly. His ears flicked back against his head before tilting forward once more. She edged past him and he got a closer view of the marking that had been glowing on her side. A hawk? His head tilted so he could continue to look at it, but he was effectively distracted when her muzzle bumped against his shoulder. He blinked then returned the bump, though his muzzle touched her side in his delayed reaction. All the while he shifted his weight so he could watch her and not allow her to get behind him. A warrior's instinct was not one that could be ignored.

"That's an interesting marking you've got, Miss Rasta." He nodded his head to her side, but he could already tell that she would not see. He'd caught how milky her eyes were in the moonlight and it was hard to miss how she looked in his general direction without looking directly at him. "Where'd you get it from, if you don't mind my asking." As he voiced his question he stepped out of the water, relaxing almost immediately.

"I thought I could use a break from my herd." Alleo answered Rasta's question. "Sometimes herd life can be... suffocating." He stepped closer, nostrils flaring as he inhaled the scents that circled around him. Her scent was different from the ocean and from the Foothills. "You smell of desert." He said. "You come from the Dragon's Throat?" He had yet to pay that land a visit, but he had heard enough of the desert land and had traveled through enough deserts to know the smells.

His audits flicked back as she began to move out of the water ever-so slowly. But, as soon as she had edged past his frame he allowed his ears to perk forward again. With her gentle bump to his shoulder he seemed to be shocked. And then, he allowed his muzzle as well to run across her side. He shifted his weight, following her form as she moved out of the water and onto the sand.

Interesting marking? Miss? Well. It seemed formalities never ended, but she wouldn't push the matter. His head was nodded toward her side. Where did she get it from? As he spoke he allowed his frame to move from the water and onto the sand as well. His tense muscles instantly relaxed. "Marking? I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean..." she said, tilting her cranium ever so slightly to the left as she stood there 'watching' his frame before he allowed his voice to spread out into the night air again. Break from his herd. Suffocation. Desert. Throat. "Yes. I do hail from the Throat. You smell of grass - so I'm going to assume the Foothills? And I can understand the suffocation. The need for on to be ever present, to be ready to be called upon at a moment's notice. It is definitely... complicated." she said, her voice radiating a little bit as she gave a tiny smile. Her age and her knowledge was easily radiating off of her - and it was something she could not turn off. While she looked so young, she would never be able to be four again, no matter the circumstances.

279 words
._. sorry it sucks
Image Credits

ali
Alleo

Marking. I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean...

Alleo was quiet for a moment, unsure of what to say because he should have known that she wouldn't know what he was talking about. He frowned and thought about how he could explain what the marking looked like without possibly insulting her. It also made him wonder just how long the mare had been unable to see. If she'd been born without vision then she wouldn't know what a hawk or a bird looked like. If she lost her sight and and was left with only her memories of what colors and animals looked like. He looked up at the sky once more as if the stars would give him some sort of guidance over what he should say so he wouldn't put his hoof in his mouth, but they were silent as always just content to twinkle and shine.

"It's a hawk." He finally said, deciding that he would just tell her what it was and if she didn't know what of was he could just explain it after. "On your left flank. The moonlight makes it look like its glowing." It was quite an attractive marking, it was just a shame that she could not see it.

Their conversation moved on and she asked if he came from the Foothils. "I do." He responded. "I serve as a warrior in their ranks." Though he had yet to see battle. His youngest sister had participated in the recent Edge invasion and he'd been left to patrol the borders of their home, but he didn't question the General's decision. "It is complicated." He agreed. "But it is what being part of a herd is all about. You act for the benefit of all, must be ready to defend those in your herd who cannot fight or are to young or old to defend themselves." That was one of the things he found so suffocating at times.

He was quiet. He seemed to figure out what was wrong with his statement. She could not see, so she did not know of her marking. He seemed to be mulling over his thoughts, as if he were trying to find the way to explain it so that he might not insult her further. She almost wanted to laugh at the trepidation he seemed to be struggling through, from the uncertainty of how his words would turn out.

One glance up to the sky from the stag and then he spoke. It's a hawk. Rasta shuffled her feet, leaning a little bit more towards her left side, bearing the weight as she listened to the comforting sound of the waves as they lapped up against the shore line. "I don't... recall ever having this marking. I might have gained it when I lost my original companion crossing over here..." she mused, giving a light shrug of her shoulders and flicking her tail against the smooth sand.

She questioned his origins, as he had hers, and he confirmed it in about the same manner. He was a warrior. It was complicated, as was life, but it is what being a part of a herd was about. "It is a bit more complicated when you used to rule over a vast land before getting thrown out like rotting meat..." she murmured under her breath. A deep breath in, and then she lifted her maw slightly, a grin falling on her face. "The question is, really, if you even care to act for the benefit of all..." she added, tilting her head delicately to the side. "You seem as though something might have made you reconsider, pride doesn't necessarily radiate off of your frame..." she said, not feeling him standing tall and confident. No, all she felt was a lost stag trying to figure out what he was doing.

326 words
Sorry it sucks and took so long |:

ali

Her shuffling hooves was the only giveaway that she might be uncomfortable with the mention of the marking. Alleo observed this and set it to memory not to mention it again unless she brought it up. The reason for her observed discomfort was answered before he could wonder too long on it. "I'm sorry." He murmured to the girl as she mentioned losing her companion. He had not been in Helovia long enough to understand what it meant to have a companion, nor had he been in any other region of Loorien where it was common practice to have a companion. To Alleo, a companion was another horse who walked at your side, shared in the trials and tribulations that life gave you, and picked you up when you were knocked down.

"It is a bit more complicated when you used to rule over a vast land before getting thrown out like rotting meat..."

"It seems every aspect of life is complicated." Alleo answered back. "Though I have not had the experience of ruling over any land or being cast aside like rotting meat." His life had been far different from Rasta's, it seemed, and he thought he might rather be cast aside like rotting meat than have to suffer through life at the hooves of his parents and watch his sisters suffer in the same ways that he had. There were very few that Alleo might have thought were better off dead, and it was sad to say that his parents had fallen among them. There were even fewer that he could say he was glad they were dead, and sadly enough his parents were among them.

She questioned his pride, then, but Alleo just looked at the mare with the same expression he'd had on his face all along. He had pride, but he was also a humble stallion. "I find it difficult to feel pride in a band of mercenaries who masquerade as a family." He admitted. "I was born to be a warrior. My entire childhood consisted of my father training me to fight for his own personal gain. I was a slave to him, in essence. When he died I was finally free and now I've stumbled back into the same situation." Only there was a whole group of them. "I find it difficult to agree with the decisions of the leaders, no matter their reasoning." He could not call them his leaders when he did not agree with them. Had he known exactly how the herd was he would have tried to talk his sisters into leaving Helovia when they'd found him in the Threshold.

He was quiet for a moment then he sighed and lifted his gaze to the stars once more. "What is your herd like?" He really wanted to ask about her lost companion, but he didn't want to cause her anymore discomfort.

"."

i'm the colorless sunrise that's never good enough</style>

Credits

Flames - they licked the walls
tenderly, they turned to dust all that I adore
He said he was sorry, as I mentioned the loss of my companion and I could only nod my head in response. And he said that every aspect of life is complicated. That much was true. My whole life torn apart. I was thrown to the side. But, not only that. I had been raped too many times to count by too many different stags. I had had at least 4 stillborns and miscarriages. My only child I had needed to leave behind in order to save myself, to try and find a way to save our lands.

I just shook my head, forcing the thoughts from my brain as he spoke about the pride portion. "I'm sorry," I returned, not understanding the inability to agree with a leader's decision, not when I had been one. "But, life will get better, it has to. No one deserves to be a slave, Alleo. No one." I whispered, eyes peering up towards him yet unable to look at him.

A silence fell between us before he looked up back up towards what was the sky, or so I assumed. And, he asked what my herd was like. "Wings. I don't think I've met one creature who resides there who is not gifted with flight. I'm an outsider, unfortunately. But, there is one there who I couldn't leave - the only one I can say I'm truly loyal to in these lands. And it is a desert, so it's hot and dry. So much different from the lands of rivers and water I had once lived in. But, sometimes change can be for the best, no?" I explained, with a light shrug.

I paused, shuffling a little before looking back at him. "If you need peace from the pain, you can come find me... Time away from the torture can help..." I offered, my more motherly side sliding out. I would have done the same for anyone who had been under my protection in my lands. And I could not change the desire to offer that to him as if I could find a way to change it. I would never be able to change...

ali

"But life will get better, it has to."

"When you hit the bottom you can only go up, right?" He asked, though he didn't look too completely convinced. He'd gone from be his father's punching bag and mindless warrior to a mindless warrior to a bunch of cutthroats. Over and over again he had wondered why his sister identified with them the way she did, but he had yet to question her on it. His gaze returned to the pale mare when she said no one deserved to be a slave and he wondered if she was right. There had been plenty of times when he'd wondered if he'd done something to deserve being treated the way he had, but when his sisters had been born, innocent of sin, and treated as horribly as they were he had known the truth. To hear it actually spoken, though...

He didn't know what to say.

Thankfully the conversation progressed and his thoughts of his past were left behind for the time being. His ears tilted forward as she spoke of the land being filled with pegasi and that she was an outcast. "You shouldn't have to feel like an outcast in your own home." He said, head tilting as he looked at Rasta. He could understand her having loyalty to only one member in a herd, though, because in all of the Foothills his loyalty lay only with his two sisters that he had traveled for months to find again.

"The desert doesn't sound very welcoming." He murmured, but how could a desert compare with a field of lush grass and a clear waterfall and pool that served as their source of water? "I may take you up on your offer one day." Alleo said in response to Rasta's offer. "I can extend the same offer to you. When the desert feels to oppressing come to the Foothills and ask for me. Not all of us are cutthroats." Distaste colored his tone, but what could he do? He had promised to protect his sisters and as long as they were there he would be their shadow.

i'm the colorless sunrise that's never good enough</style>

Credits

Flames - they licked the walls
tenderly, they turned to dust all that I adore
I nodded my head. "Yes. And you will..." I said, a look of a promise upon my face. She could feel the struggle on his face, the way some of the muscles seemed to pinch as he slipped into thought. I gave him a few moments, in his train of thought, before I went on about the herd I lived in.

I shouldn't feel like an outcast? Well, I supposed I would always feel like an outcast as nowhere was my home anymore. "It is where I am, and I cannot truly change that. Not without hurting the one I am close to. So I shall stay... Strength can come in many forms," I explained, lifting my unfocused gaze upon his tilting head. He said the desert didn't sound very welcoming and I couldn't help but to laugh, if not just a little, for that was the truth (at least in my soul). But, he said that he might take me up on the offer and a smile graced my lips before he extended the same to me. "I will. And if you ask for me I will come as well." I said, still smiling and ears pricked forwards.

Perhaps I had finally gained a friend in this land. So, if he would allow it, I reached my muzzle out to brush his shoulder once in a form of a goodbye before turning on my haunches. "Goodnight, Alleo. Till we meet again," I said and then galloped back toward the Throat, back towards the only one who I would remain loyal to at this moment.