the Rift

[OPEN] Subtle Uncertainties [Echo, open]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

TORLEIK
Death follows into your watery grave

Left to his own devices, the naturally nomadic stallion began to wander. Making his way southwest, Torleik found himself at what was called the World's Edge. Standing on the very last centimeters of earth, gazing out over the waters, Torleik felt at peace. The air was crisp and cool, the scent of the vast body of water giving it just the right scent. A homely scent. Perhaps he should make a home here, rather than the Aurora Basin. Though the snow there reminded him of home, this place felt more...right.

He missed the water. For a brief moment, he wondered what it would be like to have wings like a pegasus did, to be able to take off from this ground, defy gravity and soar out. Torleik's thoughts were interrupted by a strange scent catching his nostrils, mixing with the sea-like air. He smelled a mare but...no, not a mare. Not a stallion either? He was confused. Turning, Torleik found he was able to spot a deep blue equine nearby with white stripes on their neck that reminded him of lashes from a whip.

Sniffing again, he still could not place this horse. That was strange. Normally he could discern these things. Had he been away from the salty air so long that it dampened his sense of smell? Saying nothing, as was his nature at first, Torleik watched this creature curious. Even their form did not do much to help him decide a gender. Curious. Aware that he was quite visible to the newcomer, he waited, posture open, though not necessarily welcoming, for the newcomer to introduce themselves.

@[Echo]

Afrolovertje & ximpossible @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Echo Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The blue colored mare stood before the vast ocean spreading farther than the eyes could ever see. There in it held certain majesty, but that was not why the horse stared out at it. No this animal was gone mentally elsewhere to the very bottom of the sea where she saw her body pale and dead serving as food to hungry fishes; the scary thing was that the fe actually longed deeply for it, wanting finally for the pain to just stop. Death would be a welcomed omen to the lady, who most likely would willingly go into his cold embrace. What had driven the mare to this point one might ask? Simply answered “life did it to me….giving me only rejection, hate, and disdain from most other horses” so her fragmented mind declared rather bitterly “ go into the abysses do everyone else a favor” but something had the equine just stuck in the shifting sand of the shore, as the water splashed her legs. Dirt just flowed down the well formed muscles from a lack of concern or caring about one’s appearance. The wind of the sea whipped around her ragged tail untangling it slightly and her mane did likewise.

Sighing Echo lay down in the water moaning as her knees gave way without her command she wanted to roll in the cool water, but didn’t have the strength to. The wind from the land brought the scent of a stallion, which the mare had a developed dislike for them, wanting to get up the girl didn’t; hoping he would just pass her by. However part of her wanted someone to tell her everything was going to be ok.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

Well healed from the invasion, in both body and mind, Kahlua had been peacefully wandering the lands of the Edge. Naturally, her steps took her to the cliffs overlooking the waters below. The scent of the saltwater rushing up the rock face to her nostrils was always pleasant and the rhythmic sloshing of the waves against the sand always put her at ease. She was naturally a care-free soul, but the troubles of the world had affected her rather thoroughly since her arrival here. For months upon months the land had been bathed in darkness. Two seasons worth of little food at no sun would trouble anyone's soul.

As she walked, she kept a healthy distance from the edge of the cliff. She was no acrobat and was not inclined to dare-devilish stunts; however, today she would be forced closer to the cutoff between earth and sky. The scent of a stallion caught her attention. While she normally did not put much thought into the scents of those she wandered in to, this stallion in particular caught her interest. He was of the same origin as the attackers- of this she was certain. Immediately her ears fell back up on her head and she trotted towards the ledge only to see the stallion standing below.

“NO!” Her normally dancing tones broke from her mouth in a harsh and frenzied bark. She immediately made for a path that would take her from the top of the cliff to the sands below. “Didn't we send you herd away once? Leave us!” She tried to sound authoritative but there was a shrillness to her voice that betrayed some fear. As her hooves touched down on the sands she noticed the mare laying in the waters near-by, although her attention almost entirely on the stallion. The lolling mare, interestingly, did not smell of the Basin. Blue eyes bored into the stallion as she took on a guarded stance and stared him down, hoping in her heart of hearts that one of her herd-mates would come upon them soon. She was not made for battle and the stallion had a war-hardened look that did nothing for her resolve.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

TORLEIK

Something about this equine in front of him made Torleik's chest hurt in a strange way. For just a moment, they looked unbearably sad and ready to slough off this mortal coil. What would make anyone long for release that badly, he wondered? He was not one to wish for death in the face of pain, physical or emotional, so the concept was highly foreign to him. The blue animal collapsed in the water and Torleik was concerned - were they hurt? Did they require assistance? Trotting over quickly, he bent his head down to sniff and nudge the newcomer's jaw lightly. Up close, the scent and visual appearance of his horse begrudgingly told Torleik he should cautiously assume he was dealing with a female. Still. Something was off about that and he couldn't place it.

"Are you injured?" he asked, deep voice quiet and gentle, trying not to further stress this mare. "What is your name?" he asked after a few seconds of further inspection, finding no obvious wounds on her body. He was attempting to distract her from any pain and keep her focused on speaking to him in the hopes it would help.

This, however, was interrupted by a shrill and decidedly harsh "NO!" climbing across the winds and reaching Torleik's ears. Pinning them back in annoyance and wariness, the stallion righted himself and took a wide, ready stance, putting himself between this fallen mare and the one that approached him now. She claimed she had - or 'we', whomever this 'we' was she referred to - already told 'his herd' once to leave.

"I have never before laid eyes on you," Torleik growled through clenched teeth. "I have no idea what you mean by 'my herd.' I have only been here a short number of days, so whatever quarrel you have with this mythical herd of mine, it does not include me." His words were firm and annoyed, but tightly controlled. He had no fear of losing a fight to this second mare if she chose to challenge him; she did not look like one comfortable with sparring. However, he did not wish it to come to that. He was only trying to be helpful. On that note of remembrance, he glanced back at the blue mare on the ground behind him.

"Are you a healer, by chance? This mare collapsed, but I can find little outwardly wrong with her and I fear I will be of no help if she is ill or internally wounded." Perhaps that would calm this accusatory woman down.

No man is an island.

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
Healed. But with a scar. A large one that spanned the length of her left shoulder. It wasn't tender, it didn't even feel like it was there. That was a good thing, of course, but the scar was definitely there as a reminder for her. Her tail was still knotted, and the dagger still positioned carefully inside of it. Uneven strands trailed along the ground from the scythe like talons of the bird which had been helping the winged one attack her - the one who had caused all of her injuries.

She had started to come to begin to look for more herbs. To start to do something useful again - but the scent of a foreign being caught her nostrils before she could even start to look. The Edge had not boded well in shrouding them in mists and though it was clinging to her coat in an attempt to keep her anxiety levels down all Res could do was bolt forward. Kahlua was yelling. A bark reaching the air - telling them to leave.

And, as Res came upon the scene - her golden lock bouncing off of her withers and back into it's place against her chest - she eyed Kahlua and the horned stag who seemed to be standing near another equine that had plopped so unceremoniously into the salt waters. Obviously, he was not very happy with Kahlua's statement and his growling voice only served to have Res pull around and snatch the dagger that rested in its knot in her tail. Her teeth clenching around in uncertainty. She shifted her weight, pulling in closer and closer to Kahlua before bumping the painted mare's haunches with her shoulder to let her know she was right beside her.

Panic was evident in Res's orbs, but at the inquiry of a healer she let out a short breath. Possibly ill or internally injured? Swallowing, Res shifted her weight and perked her ears up. She placed her dagger-branch back into the knot in her tail before opening her mouth. "I'm a nurse. I don't have any magic to heal, but I might be able to help in figuring out just what is wrong..." she explained, her golden orbs only locking on his gaze for a second at a time before trailing back up to his horns.

The mechanical one. He had horns. He was black. But, no. They were not parallel. They were not at the base of his ears. He did not have white on him. This was not the one who had killed Row.

But that realization did little to calm her fears and kept her rooted to the spot - uncertain of if she should move forward or not...

457 words
Res = forever scared and sad ._.
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

Paladin's body was injured from the battle with his son, a battle that he was not in the mood to discuss. Any mention of the brutal fight between him and the boy was met with nothing but a cold stare of his usually warm crimson eyes. The stallion, like all bull-headed men, was working through the pain and heartache with an emotional war-ax and a trebuchet, laying waste to the carefully constructed sensations of family that had once lived in his heart.

Life was a bitter creature, capable of snatching away just as quickly as she gave. He had put so much faith into his family, so much of everything he stood for, and it vanished with the blink of an eye. Two daughters who waged war against their own, though he was curious why his herd fought and not Ktulu or Ophelia themselves. His brother...

Paladin shook his head, refusing to consider those thoughts at all. Mirage and this herd were his family now. Not only had they given him shelter, but they had allowed him to use his only skill of battling for the belief that now hung between his mind and heart by a thread: equality for all. The strong, older stallion was now as fragile as a piece of china, cracked by every whisper and memory of the passing days. He told himself he was strong, but the lie was so transparent that it blew away with a single breath.

Routine was the old warrior's savior.

Steady hooves traversed the lengths of the land's border religiously, and in this pattern, he found solace. In these lands, he knew the comfort of stability, a world without change. He knew the trees by the smallest nuances and the brooks by ear. He knew where the beaches would meet their forests to the south and where the cliffs would come to a disastrous and painful end. Though he did not know how his life had come to so much ruin, he knew this, and he knew it well. Routine and blood were his gods now - he had nothing else to worship.

Voices disrupted his peace, but they were not entirely unwelcome. If there was a job to do, then doing it would be a wonderful distraction. The scene he happened himself upon seemed almost comical. A mare was laying in a stream while another threatened a strange stallion who claimed to be of no threat and a healer offered help. Paladin furrowed his brows over his unsettling bloody eyes. The stallion in question seemed to offer help so quickly that the faint scent of the Basin seemed almost preposterous. Why would anyone from that herd come here so quickly after having been beaten? The logic did not make sense. Clearly this stallion was either a new recruit or simply a traveler from the north. The likelihood that he was from the Aurora Basin was simply too slim.

"Calm," the elder stallion commanded in a voice that was charismatic and deep. His body still told stories of his injury, and from the graying in his beard, around his muzzle and eyes and on his hind legs and hips, he was obviously older. A contrast was that he was still fit like a young warrior. He was not aging well - especially not after having put his body through so much physical hell.

"Healer, see if you can help the one trashing in the water," he said with a gently authoritative voice to Resplendence.

Paladin then turned his attention to the horned demon on their midst. "We do not so quickly welcome outsiders into our borders, stranger," he warned. "Why have you ventured here?" The cadence of his voice and choice of words spoke of a more chivalrous upbringing, something that mocked that thick scars on his body.

TORLEIK

Torleik almost laughed aloud at the absurdity of yet another horse joining this ridiculous fray. A woman was down and in need of assistance, assistance he was more than willing to provide, and this was turning into a giant clusterfuck. Any mirth he might have had upon seeing yet another mare materialize from over the swelling of the hills in front of him disappeared when this new one, all awash in a drowning mane of light colored hair, came at him with a dagger drawn.

Normally Torleik was a calm man. Normally he would try to reason with those around him. But this was not a normal time for him. That man existed when his home was still out there, when his people could still welcome him back to his own hearth, back to their community; when his friends could still talk and laugh with him, when his family could still visit and share their pride over his accomplishments.

That was no more, and the man he used to be had barely survived that loss. It wished to survive no more tests or trying events.

Anger erupted deep inside of him, anger that he could not simply HELP someone in this damned place; anger that this first bitch sought to drive him away; anger especially at the insult that approaching him with a drawn dagger flung in his face. Charging forward a few steps, Torleik lowered his head in preparation for a fight. He had no qualms fighting women. Women in his culture were respected for their strength and their ability to fight - they were true sheildmaidens. If this one wanted a battle, she would get it.

"You think carefully before you take one more step, mare," he snarled, the gravity in his tone nearly crushing. In a move that was highly fortuitous for the one with the overflowing mane, she sheathed her dagger - in her tail, he did not fail to note - and spoke to him. She was a healer. He was about to tell her healers did not approach, weapons drawn, but a deep, world-weary, wise male voice commanded calm over the situation.

Torleik looked up to see an old stallion, dark black for the most part, with a white mane and tail fringed with red. Sanguine eyes shone out from his black face, crimson eyes just like... Shaking his head subtly to clear it, he kept his battle-ready stance as he listened to this fellow stag. Frankly Torleik was just glad to not be the only one in possession of balls that could be removed by these psychotic women at this point. The old one ordered that the healer should help the mare in the water, and Torleik stood his ground. "Not with that dagger in your tail you won't," he grunted. "Drop it, and then I let you near."

His attention diverted to the stallion again, Torleik snorted derisively. "This I can see, old one. My offers of help are met with shrillness and weapons," he said, his gaze harshly snapping back to the two standing mares. The fellow male seemed like a battle-worn warrior by the scars on his body - a body that was injured, Torleik noted. He could respect that. "I was here to find peace at the water's edge," he replied. "Peace is, apparently, not something to be found here." He eyed the old soldier, seeing the grey hairs on him, and wondered about this man's past. What fights had he seen? What losses had he suffered? What great victories had he won? Deciding he would treat this veteran with respect, he spoke once more. "My name is Torleik, sir. What is yours?"

No man is an island.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

OOC| Immy said to go on without Echo :)

I have never before laid eyes on you, the stallion called and Kahlua grunted in annoyance. As he continued on she listened in confusion, uncertain if she should believe him or not. He seemed earnest enough, but she was not meant for the rigors of pondering truths and lies. Luckily, her silent prayers for the comfort of a herd member were answered. The nudge of the fallen angel on her haunch game Kahlua some comfort and some of her tensed muscles relaxed. Turning to give the mare a glance and a nod, Kahlua noticed the dagger in her mouth. Had she been less confused and stressed about the situation she might have smirked.

Suddenly, and without warning, the stallion was charging. She rushed backward awkwardly through the sand. Though the stallion was not aiming for her specifically, she had no desire to be extremely close to him in his frustration. Out of concern for Resplendence, Kahlua reached out to try and pull on her tail hairs if she had not moved out of the way herself. Kahlua did not know what good pulling at the fallen angel's hairs would do, but she was scared and not thinking very straight. Despite his anger, at Resplendence's sheathing of the dagger the stallion calmed and Kahlua seemed to as well.

She did not have to answer as he asked if she was a healer, Resplendence beat her to the punch. For herself, she simply rocked left and right in agitation and continued confusion. Glancing briefly to the mare in the water, she wondered briefly what was wrong with her, though she really wanted to know how both of these horses had managed to slip by the guards that paced the borders of the land. Perhaps all the warriors were busy, she mused to herself, though she wished they would un-busy themselves. Her wish was soon answered.

The commanding voice of the elder, war-hardened stallion reached into her soul and she stiffened immediately. She did not recognize the voice as one of a friend or one of a foe but there was an authority about him that she could not ignore. As she spared him a glance she noticed the age on him and the tales of wars fresh and far-gone. The more recent wounds on him made her look at her own scar, a foot-long monstrosity running across her left thigh, and she sighed softly. The constant invasion of the reminder only caused her distress.

Her distress was somewhat forgotten as the older stallion continued on, this time addressing the unwanted stallion. Unfortunately, she could not hold in her annoyance as the unwelcome stranger went about making demands. Drop it and then I'll let you near. Having taking comfort in the commanding nature of the elder stallion, Kahlua looked to Paladin to see what he would have to say on the matter. Just for good measure, though, she reached out to Resplendence once again, nudging her ribs if she was able, a motion that she hoped the mare would understand. If her friend decided to drop her dagger, Kahlua would hold it for her. Peace is bountiful here when unwelcome stallions are not, she thought to herself as the stranger spoke again. For once, she did not say what was on her mind. Fear of backlash from her apparent superior was too great within her. For now, she remained silent, watching the scene play out before her.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
Calm. One word reached the air with an authority that was not something one could necessarily fake. Res's head turned directly toward the voice and the horn sent her reeling back a couple more steps, almost tumbling into Kahlua in the process only to catch herself at the last second. And, as soon as she had started to collect herself, recognizing the scent of the Edge and of war on his pelt she heard his command again. He had fought for the Edge in this invasion - he was not the one who had killed Rowan. The image forever plastered in her brain. Her voice slowly piped up, weak and uncertain, "Y-yes sir!" she said, her hooves beginning to scurry forward as the next words fell from the double horned one's mouth. Think carefully? Drop the dagger?! Was he crazy? No. She was not going to drop her dagger!

She felt the comforting touch of Kahlua, and gently bumped her maw to the mare's shoulder. It would be fine. He would not attack her. And, if he did - well, hadn't she fought originally to die? It was just coming a little later than expected. Her lock bounced against her chest, agitation and panic settled deep in her frame as she shook her head. "I'm not dropping the dagger. It is staying in my tail..." she said, attempting to sound strong, even though her voice wavered the more she tried. And, then she scurried past him, giving him a wide berth so that she could tell if he began to charge her again, as he had the second in which she had arrived.

The elder's words were floating in the air again - speaking of how we did not take kindly to strangers in our boarders, and asking why he had ventured here. The black one's name filled the air by the time Res had reached the mare that was curled up on the ground. Panic attack? Most likely. Her breathing was heavy, fast. Her eyes were glancing around at all of the equines as they came in closer and closer. "Are you oka-" Res started to ask in a hushed voice only to see the creature's head collapse into the water, sending a splash into the air. Res bolted back a few steps, eyes wide in panic at the sudden flood of cold water that was splashed onto her face before edging back in closer to the mare in the water.

Her eyes were closed, head almost submerged, and instantly Res pulled up on her forelock, starting to pull the head out of the water before glancing out to the other people. Using her knee she propped the equine's head on her bent like as she knelt down in the water to keep the creature from drowning while unconscious. Res's voice pulled out into the air - a little stronger and much smoother than before. "Someone. Can someone please help me get her out of the water? She'll drown otherwise. It looks like her heart was beating too fast from a panic attack and there wasn't enough oxygen coming in with how she was breathing... Seems to be nothing more than anxiety at the amount of creatures around here. But, she still can't stay in the water..." she explained, her eyes glancing between Kahlua and Paladin for the help. She could keep the creature's head above water and begin to help drag her out of the water. It was one or the other - she would need help for the mare to reach the shore again.

607 words
._.
Res isn't brave guys XD
Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love