the Rift

Unseasonal Rebellion [Aure]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A winter's wind bristled through the proud and ancient tree at the oasis, and the chill of the breeze caused the hot waters to steam oddly. Such weather was very out of place in the time of the Sun God's wrath, but never the less, the weather seemed to rebel against the heat.

Stormy, dark clouds began to gather over the once cloudless, hot sky of the desert. The breeze singled out one, lone pegasus, ruffling her ebony feathers and swirling her mane around her face. Thunder crashed overhead and against all odds, a light dusting of snow began to fall to the ground, resting on her dark back.

The sky grew violent overhead, the storm becoming thicker. White snow swirled around Aure, encasing her in cold. The isolated storm was strange and centered on the one, silver dappled mare.

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

</style>

The snow whipped around me, the sharp cold a welcome respite from the burning heat. Flakes coated my flank and I began to shiver, my mane and tail encrusted with frost and my teeth chattered slightly. The white blinded me and whinnied in fear. I missed Tares more than ever, able to melt the frigid snow with her fire wings. Or even Arbutus could do the same. I stood still, fear like a vice gripping me as the whirlwind of unusual winter rushed through my feathers, coat, and mane. “What’s happening? Is anyone there?” I squinted through the swirling flakes, looking to see maybe the cause of this storm.

Helovian Ancient

Almost as soon as the blizzard came and cast Aure in a blanket of snow, it disappeared. The snow hissed as the heat of the sun cast it into water, and the winter's wind moved on south. What was left was odd. Small, distinct paw prints rested in the sand, leading south as if following the breeze.

Would Aure follow?

Unregistered

</style>

The snow suddenly vanished and instantly Tallsun heat sizzled the flakes. I sighed; the cold was very welcome. The wetness from the white blur of snow rapidly evaporated in the light, leaving no reminder of the storm. The melting snow shrunk until it was just water, muddying the earth. Curious little paw prints were revealed in the muck, leading a path. My head cocked to the side and smiled. What little animal had gotten into the storm? Invigorated from the slight spot of winter, I walked curiously along, following the prints. The burning Tallsun was barely even a discomfort to my cooled muscles and I was ready for an adventure.

Helovian Ancient

The little pawprints began to fade as they got closer and closer to the southern borders of the Dragon's Throat. Strange, scraping markings replaced them, running leftward. Had something grabbed the creature with paws? The signs of a struggle were obvious, but odd - slithering.

Unregistered

</style>

I walked along the path of tiny prints, marveling at how the ice cold storm could give me such energy and how the paw prints filled me with such purpose. I was determined to find the little animal, whatever it was, wondering if it was hurt by the storm. I trudged through the hot sun and slight muck; as I got further away the firmer the earth became. Intently studying the path, I noticed a change in the prints. It looked like something had grabbed the animal, and slithered? off with it. Slithering? I wondered what had happened to the poor thing, veering off to follow the trail of scrape marks. Worried, I galloped faster, my heart beating with fear for the small thing dragged off by the unknown.

Helovian Ancient

In the shadow of a large, sandy colored rock laid a curled snake. A rattle on the end of its tail shook menacingly, and two, large fangs that were dripping venom curled from its pointed, scaled head. In its grasp was a young arctic fox pup, obviously afraid. Two other sets of prints, its family, had fled the scene.

When the snake spied the pegasus approaching, she hissed in irritation, though a strange, ancient glint hinted in her eyes. The expression was ethereal, from another, older time. She seemed to not fit in her scaled form, though her dripping fangs spoke otherwise.

"Pretty pegasus. I will release this creature to you if you win this little game with me..." she purred, curling tightly around the whimpering pup.

"Give me food, and I will live; Give me water, and I will die. What am I?"

Unregistered

</style>

I watched, my green eyes darting frantically as I happened upon a snake holding in its vicious grip, an artic fox pup, wriggling frightened in its grasp. The snake asks me to answer a riddle, what when you feed it grows, but dies when it is given water? I thought long and hard, and envisioned my Tares with her fire wings that would be put out if she flew through clouds like I did. A smile came to my face as I answered the snake calmly. “Fire.”

Helovian Ancient

The snake watched the pegasus with interest, hissing with a grin when she got the riddle right. With a laugh, she released her grip on the pup. A large yelp and a skip later, the white fox slid behind Aure's legs.

"Now answer me this or suffer my curse. If you get this wrong, your fox will never be able to speak in your mind." The snake slithered closer and pushed her body upward to better make eye contact with the pegasus.

"I'm the part of the bird that's not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?"

Unregistered
I breathed in relief as the fox was released and skidded under my belly. The snake seeming impressed by my answer, asked another riddle, to which I answered, "It's shadow."

Helovian Ancient

The snake almost seemed proud by Aure's success, and she hissed a deep, clear 'yeeessss...'

"You have succeeded. The fox pup is yours. Soon you will find that its thoughts will linger in your own mind. Though it is young. Very young. Be patient."

[OOC:

Congratulations on your new arctic fox puppy! He is currently 0 months old and has minimal skills. Once you choose a gender and name, please post them here so that we can add them to the logs.]

Unregistered
[OOC: I'd like the name to be Neige, and for the puppy to be a girl.]