the Rift

[OPEN] Stranger in a Strange Land

Esther Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

From the land threaded with tall trees where she first entered this land called 'Helovia', Esther's long, lanky limbs led her to her supposed new home. Apollo had graciously accepted her into this herd, but the impression of the land itself wasn't a great one. Though she was honored and relieved to have found a new home so quickly, the looming, ever-present moon that followed her like a gnat soon grew to annoy her. She, the onyx mare, was easily masked by the darkness that hung over this land like a shroud. One would think that she appreciated the darkness, as Esther seemed to fade into it with ease, but it was quite the opposite.

Her footfalls came to a halt. A rather abrupt one, at that. Her peach hooves dug into the rocky ground, scattering pebbles and chunks of dirt away from her. The unicorn looked to the scattered trees sprouting from the rocky mountains of her new home. The setting would definitely take some getting used to; normally, the mare strayed from mountains during her travels. She never saw herself as a billy goat - tracking up and down mountains wasn't really her thing. Though there were the cons in living here, Esther understood why these ranges made for a good habitat. They offered protection and traveling from one place to the next, you'd never grow overweight. The Tennessee Walker shook her head and laughed lightly at herself and her thoughts. But her whole-hearted smile soon became a slight frown. Her crimson stare looked to the moon disdainfully. How I wish you were the sun..

In her wandering thoughts, her hind left hoof lost its grasp among the rocks. In a slight moment of unneeded panic, Esther's ears swiveled and fell flat while she picked up her front limbs and gave a sort of right-ways leap. A heavy snort abated her as she looked at where her footing lost itself. It wasn't a life or death situation, but it certainly surprised her.

"Damn rocks.." The overo mare watched as a cluster of hardened earth tumbled over each other. Her extended tail lashed out angrily before she shot one last glare at the moon, which glared back at her with its eerie, reflected light.

Addressed: None
Mentioned: Apollo
Tone: Words.
Word Count: Words.
Notes: Do not need to ask to post. Jus' go fer it.

Janus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Janus
We're Both Broken in Our Own Little Ways
We're Broken, but We Fit Together Just Right
"You'll grow used to them."

The words floated easily through the night sky, unhindered by anything like wind or rain. It was a clear night, a beautiful night, and Janus had been unable to sleep. Well... Why would one sleep during night anymore? The comforting rays of the moon were like the rays of the sun. To survive in this land of permanent nightfall, one had to adapt to survive. And that is what she had done; adapt.

Stumbling into Helovia, the war mare had seen little of the land. She had arrived just before the sun had left them and sent the land into darkness... And then, due to the circumstances, she had remained home, nestled in the safety of the Foothills. At least, until the failed invasion of the Edge... The pale Andalusian gave a harsh snort. She had fought a child, and tried to take a home from others who rightfully deserved it... The thoughts were troubling, but Janus did her best to ignore them. A battle mare her entire life, the pale female had seen far too much of war and bloodshed.

Rest in peace, my dear, beloved Riveth. Oh, Destrier... What do I do?

She had been wandering the slopes of her home, ice-blue eyes absorbing the suroundings, nibbling on a few blades of grass here and there when she sudden clatter of sliding hooves and leaping bodies had snapped her attention away from her meal. Head snapping up, Janus had seen the ebony mare barely grasp her own footing before the affronted words of 'Damn rocks!' had filtered through the air. Despite wanting to be alone to mourn her losses, the Andalusian's lips cracked upwards at a smile, and she had spoken.

With a flick of her tail and a twist of an ear, Janus approached, yet didn't grow terribly close. From afar this mare resembled Apollo, yet the spots adoring his sides and the horn were all wrong... And that tale. Still, this newcomer was rather pretty.

"Are you alright? You didn't hurt yourself, did you...?" The question felt strange to ask, but Janus figured she should ask it anyway.

[ooc: Hope you don't mind Janus popping in. :3]

Unregistered
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

The Tennessee Walker shuffled around uncomfortably, until she grasped her footing. This would definitely take some getting used to. How embarrassing.., the long-legged mare thought as her crimson oculars stared almost angrily at her fore hooves. Oh how she missed the swampy land she once called home. After leaving her parents, Esther sought shelter for the longest time in, what she believed to be, a magical place. A swamp; a filthy, thick, constantly damp swamp. At most times, the insects were intolerable, but oh how she enjoyed the company of the swishing, murky waters and the fireflies that reflected dimly on those waters.

She would much rather be there than traveling through the rocky mountains, but she knew that in time, she'd adapt. Esther always has adapted to her surroundings with ease. "I'd just have to be more careful," the young mare nodded, speaking quietly to herself. I do wonder how different the other lands of Helovia are, compared to this one. The Threshold where she met Apollo and her new 'home' was all she had seen of this dark land. Her wandering thoughts made her oblivious to the nearing presence of another.

"Are you alright? You didn't hurt yourself, did you...?"

The mare cringed. She hated that someone saw her slip up; she probably looked like a complete fool. But the kind voice that called out to her, seemed to abate any negative thoughts of herself. Her long lion's tail flicked as her head turned to the owner of that voice. Her blood-colored stare locked onto a lightly colored equine - Esther couldn't really tell her color due to her bad night vision - and gave a small smile.

"Yes, I'm alright," Esther responded, turning her body to face the other, "thank you for asking. I have yet to grow accustomed to this land." The unicorn remarked to the other mare. She was .. rather careful about her footing as well, when she had turned.

"My name's Esther," she introduced herself with a kind tone of voice.

Addressed: Janus
Mentioned: Janus
Tone: Kind.
Word Count: 337
Notes: Omygosh, yay. :3 I was beginning to lose hope someone would ever post~.

Janus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Janus
We're Both Broken in Our Own Little Ways
We're Broken, but We Fit Together Just Right
Janus gave a chuckle. Indeed, if one was not used to such mountenous terrain, then it would be difficult to grow used to. Luckily, Vallhea had been a mountain community. Tough terrain, steep hills, cliffs to look off of... A beautiful place. Perhaps that was why she had found the Foothills to be such a refreshing respite, something familiar, rather than the other landscapes that Helovia had offered.

"It will take time," the Andalusian said softly, head tipping downwards towards her chest and neck arching prettily, "To grow used to this place, I mean. Don't rush yourself, lest you get hurt. Then I'm afraid you really will have a problem before you." The ebonite paint spoke, introducing herself, and Janus once more tipped her head in acknowledgement. Ice-blue orbs continued to stare and study, watching this newcomer with a detached sort of emptiness in her gaze.

"A pleasure," she whispered with pale lips, ears tipping forward, "I am Janus, a warrior of these lands... Though a rather poor one, if I must say." The Andalusian chuckled once more, yet this time it was with a hint of bitterness. The memories from their part in the invasion stung, and she did her best to push them back to the recesses of her mind. It was better left forgotten.

Instead, she went to change the subject. "You are obviously new here, Esther... Perhaps I could show you what our home has to offer?" Janus' head jerked to the right, an indication of her wilingness to play 'guide'. "The waterfall that runs through these hills is rather beautiful this time of night... Would you care to look?" The battle mount honestly wasn't sure where this kindness was coming from. In Vallhea, she had an abundance of friends, be they two-legged or four. In Helovia, well... She had none. The loneliness she felt was practically palpable.

Unregistered
"Speech" Thought
Spoken At

The bald face of the onyx overo nodded her large, bald-faced head of hers. Peachy lips curled into a kind smile. Janus, hmm? These ones from the Foothills are kind-hearted. I feel very lucky. Insignificantly, the mare Walker tilted her head to the left once the other brought up the opinion that she was a poor warrior. Esther didn't comment; she could tell that this Janus wasn't too fond about how she felt of her current position by the slight resentfulness hidden in the tone of her voice. Esther was careful to study the battle-mare who had presented herself. Her kindness seemed genuine, but there was something wrong - something missing - as if she were hollow.

Blood-stained irises remained focused on the other, or at least to the best of Esther's ability. She could see Janus's eyes from the reflection of the moon bouncing from then - a clear blue, the exact color contrast of her deep, red eyes. Esther, though she didn't show it, was jealous of the warrior's eyes. Such a light blue seemed so friendly and welcoming. The red hue of her own eyes, she feared, scared off or frightened others. Then again, she hadn't been around other equine in a very, very long time, so how would she know?

"You are obviously new here, Esther... Perhaps I could show you what our home has to offer?" ... "The waterfall that runs through these hills is rather beautiful this time of night... Would you care to look?"

A bright smile came across the unicorn's face, her head raised, and her ears pricked up. She was .. Excited. Sure, Esther wasn't jumping the gun and pronouncing Janus as her new best friend or anything, but surely they would get along. At least Esther liked to think so. She was happy that the other had offered to show her around; the ebon mare had been so confused and aggravated because of that confusion, that it was a relief to be shown around. And a waterfall? That was the icing on the cake.

"That sounds delightful. You're very kind, Janus," Esther spoke out to her with that same smile still plastered across her strong features.

Addressed: Janus
Mentioned: Janus
Tone: Happy, with a slight hint of excitement
Word Count: 344
Notes: None