the Rift

[PRIVATE] a knife in my back.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

I'LL WEAVE YOUR NAMES INTO MY RIBCAGE,</style>
lock your hearts inside my chest.</style>

The last push of my hooves into her, and the battle had been claimed in my favor. Of course, it would be just about now that the feathered bodies of other pegasus sifted through the trees of the Basin. Their faces looked to me with questions, hope, but most of all, with a look of fear. I am battered, I am injured, but I am still strong. I am still their Commander.

"Kri, we have been sent from the Throat to collect you from the Basin," the first speaks, his voice almost shaky as though his throat quavered with the wind. "I am not in need of rescuing, as you can tell." My head nudging in the direction of my captor, much more beaten and worn than I. "There is something else. Unicorns were seen heading south, from the World's Edge, past the Heavenly Fields and toward the Heart - toward the Throat."

My eyes widen, and I turn to look at the battered, crimson maned bitch. The question written clearly upon my face. Both my home and that of Mirage? I could feel the sinking bite of the knife within my spine. I could feel them twist it. Steal the Resolute, keep her from going home, and wage war upon her beloved allies and home. Had that been your plan, shadow bitch? All the flowery words speaking of only seeking to return a lost member of my herd to my side, they were all lies.
I should never have trusted a snake.

"Take her prisoner," I say, toward the bleeding and injured girl with the silver horn. "We return home. We return home now."

Travel had been slow, for I was injured. I gritted my teeth through much of the pain, but I care not how our horn-headed little companion was faring. She was not of my concern anymore, now that we have loyals to carry her for me. Strong warriors of the Throat falling in line behind my hooves which tore at the earth unpleasantly, eating the miles between myself and the Dragon's Throat, but not soon enough. Upon our arrival home, the sand is painted crimson, but there are no sword-headed assholes to greet me. Pride swells in my chest, for I know that we have survived this. If the Edge had been taken, we would return it to the proper hands. All in good time.

"Find Sumati, Midas, Hector and Gaucho," I say, my commands curt to all four of the pegasus who had accompanied me from the North. "Shadow, as well, if you see her. If you see Onni, tell her that I will come when I am ready to be healed."
"I will watch over our guest."

In the week or so that we had traveled, the cuts upon my shoulders had healed into angry scabs, the bruises swollen, but I was alive and free. Now, all that was left to do is wait. Wait for the arrival of my loyal protectors, for me to place my gratitude upon their heads.

[ For those wondering, Sica has agreed for Faelene to be taken captive.
The three pegasi mentioned are NPC's.

@[Faelene], @[Midas], @[Gaucho], and @[Shadow] ]

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

I've got the eye of a tiger
a fighter dancing through the fire

There had been little time for celebration, the return of Earth God and our victory against Basin oppressors was short lived. We looked to current and future matters; the circle kept throwing up its head toward heaven, wondering with anxious hearts and waiting. ‘Where are Kri and Sumati?’ they asked impatiently. Where are our Sultanas? Nobody had answers, only guesses, rumors that may or may not be true. I pledged myself to patrolling constantly, working tireless hours to ensure that we wouldn’t be taken unawares. Spies were sent to retrieve Kri, and the waiting game began.

Guacho had been completely fateful and resilient in these hard days. He was truly the only one I could completely trust now that Hector was gone; and our vanished Sultana was threatening to cause discontent. No sign or rumor of either said individuals. Lord only knew…all I could do was pray for their continued well-being. Fina flies beside me, a comforting presence and a boon to our work. Her eyes can search the parameter ahead, faster and more efficiently than a Pegasus could.

She cries out a warning seconds before an urgent whinny resounds; a soldier comes barreling toward me from the ground. His wings beat with tired but stern pushes—I recognize this fellow from the band sent to retrieve our captive Leader. Hope builds like a warm tide in my soul, a smile is already stretching both ends as we pull up, “Report Soldier.” A hint of strain enters my tone, from daring to pray for good news. Even in this fate light I could see a dulled excitement shining behind his gaze or…at least that’s what I thought that it was, “We have completed our assignment, Kri requests your presence.”

My hearts skips a beat before speeding forward out of shear gladness; Fina feels this and chirps gently to ease my nerves so I didn’t start doing barrel rolls right in the middle of a debriefing. I choose the wiser end, to respond with a nod instead, “Best not keep her waiting.” I’m pleased that my voice sounds calm and collected, a stark difference for how I felt inwardly. Finally, some good news.

I follow the warrior to our meeting place, my companion cries out when dual shadows come into view. It’s a bold screech that echo’s throughout the barren land. Golden feet extend from their cupped position to meet the ground as gracefully as one might. Dark, proud cranium lowers respectfully whilst I settle into the sand and close my wings. A sister returned. Order would be restored.

“Kri,” I breathe thankfully. I don’t bother restraining the itch to extend neck; attempting to reach out and brush the muzzle of my beloved Ruler. A figure, darkly colored and painted in red is standing off—in my joy I’d almost forgotten that someone was with Kri when we landed. Bottomless gaze takes a moment to rake across her appearance. She was a captive obviously, and Basin by the smell. I stiffen and raise my eyes. Wounds littered both their bodies, “Welcome home,” I say softly.

Image by: Sei
Table by: Brit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Spring had arrived, but the night seemed everlasting. Spirits had lifted with the return of warmth and vegetation, but until the return of the sun nothing would ever feel entirely good. Paired with itching scabs and a painful leg that refused to heal correctly, it was a decidedly grouchy mare that was stirred from her light slumber by the approach of hooves over sandy ground. Silken wings rustled as she breathed in; then Skuggi stirred and cracked an eye open, grimly studying the pegasus for a heartbeat before she let out a sigh, muscles relaxing once more.

"So it's you. I trust the information was correct?" she asked, eying the winged informant she had sent along with the soldiers to aid with the rescue of their Sultana. A faint smile appeared on the inked lips as she nodded and said "The Sultana Kri is returned here safe and sound, bringing along her captor as a prisoner on top of it all. There was really no need for us to..."
"Maybe not. But there was no way to be certain, and at the very least we provided her with a guard on the way home. Now, was that all?"
"Er.. no, ma'am. Kri requested your presence..."
"Then say that first!" the black pegasi frowned and straightened up from her slouch, smile widening at the prospect of being able to talk to the flaxen Commander again. "Thanks, you did a good job.. Better get back to your 'squad' again, before anyone misses you."

They parted, and before the informant had time to disappear in the night the shade had reached down and grabbed the broken piece of horn she'd taken to carry around between her teeth, stretched the wings and took to the sky. She didn't have to look very long to find the short mare, and eyed her sturdy frame worriedly as she came down to land; each scab and cut was noted with growing anger, and the gathered emotions was released in a single, murderous glare at the black lass that stood captured and defeated in the gloom. Hard hooves connected with red sand sprinkled with fresh spring foliage, the short raven stumbled slightly as a jolt of pain shot through the injured rear leg - and then she was between Kri and the unicorn, quick as mercury and with a smile greeting both the cream-maned mare and the painted General, whom she hadn't had time to talk to much in what felt like a very long time.

"It's nice to see you both in good health" she greeted with warmth and placed the broken horn at her feet, extending a velvet nose to nudge respectfully at a chocolate shoulder. "I hope the soldiers were of use to you..." she acknowledged the kin that stayed by Kri with a nod and a smile, "even though I heard that they arrived too late to assist in your actual escape."

The smile only lasted so long, lavender orbs turned cold as they began scrutinizing the unicorn as though she were something small and foul smelling. "Was it really necessary to bring this one along, Sultana? We have enough to do already, guarding prisoners will only stretch our people thin."

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.</style>

Gaucho's patrol that hour had been at a swifter pace than normal. His stormy gaze was not necessarily perceiving the inhabitants of their home, but rather those who did not belong. Never again would he be caught off guard - never again would he arrive late to a party that he should have been at the center of. And so, as another member of their flock trailed behind him, unable to keep up with his undaunted and slightly dangerous pace, Gaucho nearly considered flying onwards, and not pausing. You no threat, his mind ushered towards the dark creature in his wake. Me busy! Alas, it was only Mara's insistent hissing in his antlers, that caused his rapid pace to slow, so that he could be caught.

Ears against his skull, he turned flatly towards his darker brother.
"What." He barked, as his relentless gaze remained on the ground below, ever searching for a threat which had already disbanded.

Kri is back, his comrade offered, speaking as simply as he could, for Gaucho's benefit. She wishes to see you. Er.. Gaucho...go to Kri.

Gaucho's gaze snapped up at once; pierced nostrils flaring. "Where Kri?" As soon as his dark brother pointed the way, Gaucho's body dropped like a stone. His wings cease to beat, and gravity took hold of his bulk and pulled him down towards the Throat. Angling himself, his wings opened, stealing all of his downwards momentum and forcing it to aid him forwards. Sweat having already lined his flanks, was now added to by the thick froth that spewed from his dark muzzle as he moved to where Kri, Midas, and Shadow had already gathered.

Landing with more control than he had a few days prior with Midas, Gaucho moved towards the group, his flanks heaving as his dark wings neatly covered his sides. He made no comment regarding the dark maned unicorn, as he took his place next to Midas, dipping his head briefly to Feena and My-das, as well as Shadow, before turning his attention to Kri.

"Gaucho here." He reported, ever so helpfully.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

It was over. Once again the Basin was quiet, and Faelene had no want, or impending need to prevent the Pegasus from leaving any more. Now was time to see if all this pain had been worth anything, or just happen to feed more of the hate. Saying nothing, only trying to hold on to the remains of her strength she waited for the Commander to at last take flight. When she didn't Faelene didn't need to look up to know there were others winding their way through the trees. Despite being beaten, the wind knocked out of her from the inside out, they sounded clumsy in the forest, and she wanted to believe it meant they were scared. The red maned didn't even give them a glance when they showed their faces. Instead she was thinking how nice it would be to fall asleep, and not wake until the rising of the sun. Since the saying went, I'll sleep when I'm dead, she would have to wait for a messenger to tell her what had happened.

It was only when they spoke of the invasions, she knows those wicked blue eyes are roving over her skull. Faelene offers her a dull stare, finding her surprised face a question of the Pegasus' intelligence. Did she really think the soldiers had assembled for nothing? She was here for nothing? While it was very true Faelene wanted to make sure "Ari" made it back home, there had always been a double motive. Lucky for Kri the red maned couldn't read her thoughts or she would have asked how nice the blade felt in her own back this time. Since she didn't she only was bemused. Faelene had never been a loyal member of hers for her to feel betrayed by. The possibility for the leader's trust, respect had long set sail. So was the Thief surprised to hear she was now going to be forced back to the Throat? No, not at all.

A final breath of the Basin air, she knew she would severely begin to miss, Faelene broke in line without a fight, without a struggle. This was all part of the game, that happened to be her sad little life. Nothing to say, she avoids talking. It seems it isn't very necessary to the feathered heads any way, and reluctantly she leaves the one place that felt the most like home.

Walking is miserable, but looking on the brighter side she doesn't have a charred body, a part of it wanting to rot, and to trudge through feet of snowdrifts. Even the mild wound at her hock, causing her leg to swell, wasn't so terrible. It was easy to keep the weight off it, and over time at least it didn't get bigger. The only question that repeats itself, is if she would ever be able to pull in a full breath without the hurt or if each day, every breath would be a reminder.

The red sand in sights she doesn't see any bodies, and she isn't greeted by her own kind. It's a disappointment, but in reality was she surprised? No, the odds were never in their favor. What would happen to her? Would they use her to rub their victory in? She waited as orders were given for names that meant nothing. Watching the Pegasus take flight, it doesn't take long to make her feel like she is surrounded by them when they fall to the ground. The black one, catching her eye by the a wicked prize it held, dropping to Kri's feet. Silver eyes dig into the sand, because she didn't need to stare to know that was Psyche's horn. The red maned contemplated, did that mean she was dead? The idea might have appealed to her long ago, but now it made her sick. It must have made them all proud, and gleeful. Faelene found it as disgusting as taking one of their wings. The voice of the half-ling wouldn't stop, and Faelene made damn sure to raise her head, looking down into her eyes. "Your Commander isn't about to get any more grief from me," she clearly spoke. It could of well been a lie, but wasn't. Faelene couldn't run, Faelene didn't want to fight any more. She would stay, and suffer for her own work she had in this. "I'm here to do as she says."

[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The silence ensued between I and the crimson maned lass, though it was to be expected. I had nothing more to say to her - not after the sort of treachery she had displayed. Many may accuse me of being manipulative, a liar, yet I am nothing but straight forward and honest. Lies poison the soul, make it irretrievable. Once your silver tongue begins crafting lies, you have lost your path. Your honor is shattered, and any words from your lips hold no weight. The thing I hated most in life is a liar.

However, my anger was silent, subdued, for Faelene's body held the weight of my anger already. No longer did I have the need to punish her for wrong doings. The dark colored mare may not be honest, but she held fast to her beliefs. Even I can respect that.

The shriek of a phoenix races ahead of my friend. As the dark face of my general comes in view, I smile openly, the taut frame of my face lifting into one that was almost joyous. The solid gold of his eyes gleaming even in this damned darkness, I felt at peace. If I could trust anyone within the Dragon's Throat herd, it is the golden heart of Midas. "General," my voice hinting at his formal title but caring warmth upon each breath. I let out a welcoming breath at the touch of muzzles, reaffirming our friendship for a brief moment before he notices the flame-maned maiden standing a bit away from us.

"It is good to be home."

The appearance of Shadow is like a moving portion of the night, hinted at only by the sound of hooves meeting sand. The glint of something from her mouth catches my attention, but I would never forget the shape protruding from her lips - the shape of Psyche's horn. The DarkEmpress had tussled here, then, instead of the Edge. A bit personal of an affair, I think, but judging by my Shadow carrying her horn as a prize, I know the victor. The only question, was the dark queen of the north dead? I fucking hope so, but my hopes are rarely answered.

My face does not contort in pain as the mare extends a nudge to my sliced shoulder, only an appreciative smile of the warm welcoming. I am much less worse for wear when compared to my opponent, so I need not grimace today. "They aided in her transport," I say, nodding my head back toward the red maned girl. The spy's question makes my eyebrow raise at her, though I cannot answer before the silky words of the dark mare reach out first. I look back toward her, somewhat surprised by the answer. Despite her serious attempts to keep me locked away, the unicorn mare accepted her fate gracefully now.
A sound defeat, but I am still not satisfied.

"Call it a personal grudge, Shadow," I say, my voice serious and dark. I do not break my gaze away from the face of the silver-horned unicorn. "I do not appreciate being lied to." She would stay until I decided she would leave here. Perhaps she would be useful at some point later on.

Next, the thundering arrival of my Sergeant reaches my ears. I turn my crown and greet Gaucho with a curt nod before I give him a warm smile. Despite his rough and tumble nature, Gaucho was always respectful, if not always able to eloquently express that respect. "Brother," I welcome graciously, before looking around the missing faces. "You keep.... yew-nee-corns out. Bring new yew-nee-corns to Kri or Midas, okay?" I say to him, my voice rolling slow. Onni had told me to be distinct and purposeful when speaking with the caveman Sergeant, and since my gentle daughter had the most success with him, I figured it would be worth a shot.

We had been standing for long enough that my winged kin, Sumati and Hector, would have been able to arrive. Where were they?

"Were Hector and Sumati present at the invasion?" I ask, my eyes turning toward Midas with a worried expression. Had they defended the herd or abandoned us?

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 Midas</style>

Kri returned my smile with a rare and genuine one of her own, our muzzles meet and a calm thrill rush's through me. She was home now, for this simply moment that was all that mattered. After a second I straighten, a professional shadow darkens my smile; the news I had to share wasn't what some would call pleasant. Shadow arrived swiftly, her eyes warm with smiles that only seemed to brighten when she saw us. I nod toward her in simple greeting when her gaze finds mine--she wishes our Sultana well and asks a rather bold question. I stiffen but the hint of humorous smile momentarily erases the darkness yet to form, aye, our head spy was a wild heart.

Guacho appeared next and the circle was complete. I could see the concern start to worm its way in behind Kri's facade of control. Our redheaded company spoke up with submissive tone and words, I glanced at her without sympathy. She would know better in the future than to withhold our lion from her cubs.

"Were Hector and Sumati present at the invasion?"

She turns to me, worried, expecting the worst likely...I respond flatly, the warmth gone and what remains is a tone fit for debriefing. "Nay, neither fought to the best of my knowledge; nor has either been seen since." It was hard to think that Hector would run from his home, Sumati mayhaps, but...Hector? Nay, he was my friend, and loved our work nearly as much as myself.

"Basin attacked our sisters in the Edge first, we sent a few warriors to aid them--then the horned ones came here. I called for Asylum to aid us and they made good on their words. Both clans held their land." A breath, a moment for her absorb this information, "Mauja was found within our territory just before the invasion, me and Guacho failed to take him into custody. He...disappeared into the sea by some...dark magic." There was more, though this would be considered good news among all the shitty bad news, "Levi and Aryel returned from their journeys just before we were attacked."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

Nor has either been seen since. I frown, thinking that now is exactly the time we do not need missing powers of command. As much as I had trusted Sumati, I am beginning to feel the nagging worry that she has fled at the sight of conflict. The mare had a brilliant mind for politics, yet I hardly feel that the snake actually wished to fight her own battles. The march of the Basin must have frightened her off. As for Hector, I was worried about my general. I trusted the soldier and hope he had not fallen into ill circumstances.

My eyes turn attentively toward Midas as he reports. A sigh in relief as I hear that the Edge held, knowing that I would aid Mirage in a reinvasion of her territory had it been necessary, but oh, how I wished to avoid just that. Surprisingly, the Asylum appears to have become a valuable asset to us, helping to ward off the invaders from the North. I smile though, finding myself glad to have given the young mare a chance to prove herself. One horned girl who was not a snake, perhaps.

I have to hold back the hiss in my throat at the mention of Mauja, silently wondering how in the hell the white stallion had managed to fanagle his way into our borders. My face is impassive, however, except for the fiery glint of my dark blue eyes.

The final news, however, is welcomed with a warm and hearty smile. Two of my kin finding their way home. This is always a positive, no matter when they wished to come home.

"We cannot afford to be lacking in leadership now," I say, my voice strong, looking toward Midas's gold eyes with purpose. "Will you stand by my side as Commander, brother?" I ask, offering him the crown of this land.

[ Sorry to skip, guys - I wanted to get this out of the way to move forward IC. ]

KRI the Resolute</style>

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

The words of the unicorn was met with a decidedly snarky silence as the black shadow didn't deign to take the bait and throw herself in an argument. Maybe some other day she would have, but not with Kri there to watch such an ugly display. Instead she accepted the explanation of her sultana with a curt nod and retreated slightly, set on watching and listening rather than make a spectacle out of herself.

It went without saying that Skuggi was pleased to have been summoned along with the general and the sergeant. She had done her best to climb upwards in the herd, by doing as she was told and executing orders before they were given. That her efforts were rewarded came as a nice surprise, sending her opinion of the flaxen mare skyrocketing; not only was she strong and just, she was intelligent too.

The interest of the shade was piqued as familiar names were mentioned, and she turned lavender eyes towards Midas as he gave report, silent hope quenched as Hectors name was mentioned in the list of missing people. Where on earth had they disappeared to? Sumati wasn't one she knew well, she had never had a conversation with the diplomat, but for Hector to disappear... That was worrying.

"I'll send some scouts out to search for them" she offered in an interjection between the reports of the painted general, eager to know what had happened to the tall, fire-maned stallion... and the former leader too, she supposed. Thoughts began to swirl, worry for her friend and anger over the worry he caused her by disappearing tore her attention away from the conversation. She listened only with half an ear at the rest of Midas report, just enough to store the names and events into memory for future analysis. She would have to organize the informants, set some aside to keep an eye on the Basin to make sure that all the unicorns had truly been driven out and see to it that any further threats to their borders would come with good warnings. Then there were the matters of finding missing members, make sure that the prisoner was well guarded and wouldn't be able to escape...

The little raven were so lost in thoughts that it took some time for the words of their leader to sink in. But as they did she flung the head up, blinking in a newly-woken manner and stared between Kri and Midas, surprised and enthused for the sake of her friend.

"Good choice!" she mumbled half to herself, grinning as she stepped over and offered a playful shove of a black shoulder towards the much taller stallions, believing beyond doubt that he would accept. Who wouldn't? It was an honor to stand at the helm of such a powerful herd, and she couldn't think of anyone more suitable than her gold-touched friend.

"While we're still at it with exchanging information" she said after a few moments more of enthusiasm, "would someone please tell me what the deal is with the Basin? I have heard from others that they don't exactly favor other races, and after this attempt at taking over Dragon's Throat it's fairly clear that they don't like us either. What I don't get is why. Why did they go through the effort of such a major operation, right out of the blue? Because it was a blitz attack, wasn't it?" The eyes of the raven moved between her comrades in a quizzical manner, lavender iris flaring in the faint light from the stars as they came to rest upon the short, sturdy mare that made the decisions. Something fishy was going on here, and Shadow very much liked to know what it was.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 Midas</style>

Debriefing went smoothly enough; my wounded battlemate showed little to no reaction either in favor or not during most of the report. Shadow offered her aid through sending some of our spies to hunt for the missing General and Sultana. I slipped into silence out of habit, allowing others a chance at tossing their weight of words around for a little. Kri was gazing at me, even though my eyes had fallen toward earth out of respect. Now she spoke again and I could feel her still regarding me as though there was something unsaid.

“We cannot afford to be lacking in leadership now.” I nod agreeably and straighten my posture as the soldier I am, awaiting orders. It was expected that she would send a swarm to find our absent council, or at least that is where I thought the conversation was heading. Instead of barking an order that would send all present toward the corners of earth on some mission, she gazed steadily one and asked a rather unexpected question, “Will you stand by my side as Commander, brother?”

Surprise quickened my heatbeat and for a moment I couldn't think of what to say. Why me? Was it because I was one of the only natives left? Her trust had been tested over the seasons, and failed time and time again. I just stared back in a dumbstruck state at the one I had called Mentor, Sister and Sultana since before I could spar. Shadow brushes her face against my shoulder joyfully and I smile a little, finding strength from the jest and sisterly encouragement to push through the reserves that currently pleaded my mind to consider. “Aye,” I said after a pause. Of course I would answer the call. Ebony muzzle bowed toward chest in a salute, smiling I spoke with hints of humor slipping past formality, “Tis a dishonor to refuse.” Stronger and without jest I finished, “I will stand by you.”

Time for celebration would fall short as it always did. Shadow furnished her own question and moved us back to topics that still required attention. One such pondering was curious indeed. The basin had attacked with so few in both Edge and Throat. Aiding her words with a small fraction of an explanation I said, “Desperation makes a fool fight ignorantly, they stretched numbers and lost as a result—Mauja gave nothing away of his intent before disappearing into the ocean, but I’ll warrant he had his eyes upon Throat land for a time.”

OCC: I went ahead and skipped on so we could finish this quickly