the Rift

[PRIVATE] You're the Ruin of Me

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

No good for you! No good! Bad!

Companions and bondeds were not supposed to fight. It was just...wrong. It was the first disagreement Lakota had ever had with Aodaun, and almost as if fate was cackling in the far reaches of the heavens, it was the worst of them all. Aodaun was growing, so much, and he shoved at her legs with the mass of a polar king close to adulthood. Kota snapped her pearls at him violently, only catching hair, but her heart hurt at the thought of him being truly hurt and it kept her from aiming to actually bite him. Aodaun snarled in return and lunged for her plume, pulling it violently until she shrieked a loud whinny and kicked her legs at him in a pathetic crowhop. You have no idea what you're talking about, Aodaun! Screaming through their bond, their emotions only mounted into one massive tangle of feelings so extreme they could no longer tell if they were experiencing the emotions of the other or themselves. The polar bear only evaded her halfhearted kicks, shoving into her forelegs with his furry body. Hurting you! Always! Not love same! Not love at all!

She faltered.

Aodaun slowed, realizing what he'd said, nearly able to feel the quiver of her heart as it tried not to crumble like the fragile china it really was. No...no, not mean it, he begged quietly, hesitantly, in her head. Lips tight, she kept her eyes fixed on the sunless horizon, refusing to accept the sting at the back of her eyes. No, no he couldn't be right. He...he couldn't! She couldn't handle the thought. Her heart had been shattered too many times, why did she keep getting involved with the worst kind of people? The ones who had kind smiles and intelligent eyes, leonine hearts and fierce passion? Because they were always guiltless when she looked down at the broken shards in her palms, the remains of her heart. How could she blame them when they did it without a single notion of what they were truly doing? Innocent, and she could do nothing because of it.

You are a fool, Lakota.

Aodaun objected, eyes wide and scared, knowing how badly he had hurt his princess with such a simple combination of words. But she shut him from her mind, almost reveling in the pain of her own existence, her own stupidity. Why had she thought any different, anyways? Someone so advanced, so passionate, so...young...why would Lakota ever be considered a possible love interest? It was probably for the best...

Maybe it was the stress of all that was happening in the Foothills, the way she was acting. They seemed to have been afflicted by the curse that settled wordlessly on the Foothills. Lost, lazy, weary. Were they even a herd anymore? Would they ever be? Already, they had lost one of their queens, the pale one slipping away in the darkness of the winter she embodied with well-wishings trailing behind her.

Would Lakota receive the same treatment? Gods, would Ktulu even? They were the same, in essence, but Lakota had a feeling Ktulu would be damned and shamed, badmouthed and rejected, should she even wish to escape the tripled stress that had landed on her shoulders since Ophelia's departure. Would they call her a coward, instead of a friend, like they had her twin?

Life was cruel. People were worse. What was one soul against the storm that brewed?

By the Gods, she could not afford to be so emotional just because the Grey was falling to ruins and the failure of the invasions. She merely breathed, calming the theatrics, the childishness, letting it all vanish from her mind. She was the Poisoner of the Grey, the exiled first born Princess of her former land, she could not afford to be so weak. She had a name to uphold, a path to tread, to blaze. It was finally enough, she could no longer let the emotions she'd always been unable to cope with rule her.

If she does not, then...then I will move on... Reconnecting with her beloved prince, she sighed softly as his fur brushed up against her, and without a word in return they both began to walk once more, patrolling. Finally her face was cold and careless once again, something she had missed. It was her only defense, the one thing that kept others away, and by proxy kept herself from getting hurt by those damnable, flighty things called feelings.

All she had left was work, the use of physical power.

She could be ruled by emotions no longer, or she would be ruined.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu</style>
when the sky turns gray and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating
</style>

Emotions. Truth be told, Ktulu had never been one to cope with a myriad of emotions even when she had been less hardened and tainted by life. Disappointment, disgust, sorrow, loss, and guilt were bitter pills that she'd been forced to swallow. Never before had Ktulu been so glad that she was alone, yet at the same time she wanted someone there so she could have a shoulder to cry on. It was the first time that she had lost one of her own and it was hard. Donovan had been the only uncle she'd met when she was a foal and though she didn't know him as well as she might have liked he was family. They shared the same blood and she'd sent him to his death. Because of her contract with the Basin his blood now coated the floor of the Edge and it was all for nothing. The Invasion had been botched and now there was the worry in the back of her mind of retaliation from the Edge and the Throat, since the Basin had decided to attack on two fronts instead of just focusing on one.

It would be so much easier if she could just be angry, but sorrow and guilt were just too overwhelming. The dark mare blinked in surprise when she realized that tears had spilled over and were trailing down her cheeks. She snorted and ducked her head down, rubbing her face against one foreleg then the other. What would the herd think if they saw her crying? Would they think her weak for having such feelings? Would they think her a pushover? They were supposed to be a group of mercenaries and spies, after all. Or would they understand and share in her grief. Somehow Ktulu doubted that the herd would truly understand because she had always been the tough one. The angry one. The bitch. Would they understand if it were Ophelia in her shoes, crying over the loss of family? She felt that they would understand. Everyone always seemed to understand her sister and everyone seemed to have a soft spot for her.

Jealousy, even though it was just a touch, was also quite bitter.

Thankfully Ktulu was drawn from her inner musing by the sound of scuffling somewhere ahead of her. It took her a few seconds, but the emotionless mask that she had perfected some time ago was put back into place and she pushed forth. Under the light of the moon, and with knowledge of her herd land's landscape, Ktulu was able to find her way to the source of the scuffle. Upon seeing the mare that was standing there the mask crumbled despite her best efforts to keep it in tact.

Lakota was someone that she felt like she was always hurting, though she never meant to. She loved the other mare dearly, but love was such a foreign concept at times and Ktulu didn't know exactly how to show someone that she cared.

"Lakota." She breathed her Poisoner's name then stopped short, hoping that the sorrow that laced her voice would somehow be missed and that the crumbling mask would be put back into place on its own, but when did hope ever become reality?

ooc:// Placing this after Archibald's thread where he tells Ktulu that Donovan was killed

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

"Lakota."

Ebony ears perked weakly, trembling at the tips like those of a bunny's aurals. Because there was no mistaking that voice, it had chased her through dreams and daymares, had comforted and condescended. Had broken her. Yet time and again it built her up, because she was a fool; a fool in love, but a fool nonetheless.

Love did not make you blind. Love made you far too aware. Of your own faults, of the flaws the one you considered perfection held. Love sharpened your vision, and in return, your heart was the price. You never shook the devil's hand, never sought out or settled the deal in person. It was always in the shadows, lurking, and you didn't have a say in it once it had latched upon you. Love was a disease, of the most exquisite sort. Love made you rejoice while your chest was shredded into ribbons of crimson and coal, had you dancing while the flames licked at your skin, had you shouting in exaltation while tears swarmed your vision.

Lakota loved. She loved so fiercely it hurt, so wholesomely it physically drug her down, and so loyally it had kept her at the shadow leader's side for seasons, even when her nature had balked at staying. Lakota loved with the passion of a firebird, and yet it was always she who burned. She deserved to burn. The devil child would always belong in hell, would always become the martyr and would leap into the flames so that others would not suffer, whether it was their just deserts or not. Her soul ached with her adoration, her mind screamed at her own actions, but she could not stop.

She loved, and so she was doomed.

But...but there was pain in that soft, dark voice. And as much as she wanted to resist, it was the siren's song to her ears, and she turned lavender gems over one shoulder to see the crumpled visage of her best friend. Just best friend. She ached, muzzle twitching with the force of it, but her eyes softened instinctively. "Ktulu," she murmured quietly in return. Turning, she ignored Aodaun's disgruntled growling and moved easily towards the broken pieces of her leader. She was prepared for her palms to bleed once more, for old scars to open anew.

If it was for Ktulu, though, then she would do it a thousand times over, until she had no more blood to spill for her.

"Ktulu...don't hide from me, child. Tell me what's wrong, speaking will help. It hurts me to see you like this," she said quietly, muzzle remaining motionless in hesitation before reaching out to brush her lips just below Ktulu's ivory crown, withdrawing afterwards. Maybe if she took on the role of guardian, mentor...maybe it wouldn't hurt anymore. Maybe Ktulu would stop teasing and leaving, would stop awkwardly apologizing with her eyes while Lakota stared down at her shattered porcelain heart.

Really, didn't Ktulu understand she was running out of glue? Of pieces that could actually be put together?

Even so, she couldn't hold it against her.

"I am sorry for your loss, Chieftess. I know, intimately, how you feel. Just...let it out." Gentle amethyst eyes never strayed from that dark cherry face, almost welcoming Ktulu into her presence, telling her without words that if she cried, Lakota would wipe away the tears with her kisses, and wave her away to find happiness when the pain was gone.

It was her duty.

She was made to shoulder the pain of others.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

She wouldn't blame Lakota if the mare just walked away and left her standing there to pick up the pieces of herself alone. In fact, Ktulu would think that she deserved it for everything she'd done. For the number of times she'd seen the shadow of hurt on the mare's face and in her eyes. An ear flicked in the direction of Lakota's companion when she heard the unhappy growl that made her heart crack and sink to her stomach. Her eyes followed the direction of her ear and she looked at the polar bear, wishing he was still the cub that would come running to her eager to play with her tail, but times had changed.

Oh, had they changed.

"Lakota." She repeated when the poisoner said her name, knowing that she would no longer be her poisoner, but then again had she ever really been? Or had she been playing the same game that Ktulu had unknowingly been playing? Just the thought made the dark mare's already fractured heart splinter further. She had no one to blame but herself for every bad thing that had happened to her in her life.

""Ktulu...don't hide from me, child. Tell me what's wrong, speaking will help. It hurts me to see you like this."

The Constrictor stared, unsure of what to say and unused to being called child by her closest friend. It made her feel cold and not at all comfortable like she usually was when she and Lakota were together. Her stomach churned and she turned her gaze away from both Lakota and Aodaun. The distance she felt so acutely helped to solidify the decision that she'd been toying with in her head since Archibald had brought it up.

"I'm leaving." She finally said, forcing her voice to sound stronger than it was and she felt. Once upon a time Lakota had vowed to follow her wherever she went, but in the back of her mind Ktulu questioned that. It would be selfish of her to ask Lakota to leave the safety of the Foothills and follow her to wherever it was she ended up. Ktulu turned to leave Lakota and Aodaun be since she felt that neither of them truly wanted her there. "I wanted to tell you goodbye... so you wouldn't find out later... Goodbye."

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

Again, her name, as if it's the only thing she can say, and Lakota isn't sure how she feels about that. It's almost...empty. So she just retreats a few more steps, feeling as if her muzzle is scalded from touching the skin of her best friend. Aodaun made a soft noise of distress, wanting what was best for his princess, but holding fondness for Ktulu because of his own experiences and Lakota's feelings. Pacing restlessly between Lakota's long legs, he continued to make soft huffing noises, his growing mind trying to wrap around a situation even his bonded could not. Clearly calling Ktulu by the title of youth was just as discomforting to her as Lakota, and her rubies flickered away awkwardly, something dark and shadowed hiding in plain sight for the first time.

And in one moment, all at once, she confesses.

"I'm leaving."

Two simple words and her heart is shattered, and suddenly she can no longer breathe, lungs no longer functioning at all. It's obvious, really, with how her chest seizes and her eyes are blown wide, near soundless aside from a soft choking noise. "Y-You're...you're what?" She choked out, stumbling backwards on shaking legs. Crown rose high in distress, aurals flickering towards her neck uncertainly. And then she was turning, leaving, leaving her.

And before she can think over it, before she can do anything, she's tripping over herself trying to follow her. "You're leaving? W-What? Ktulu, no Ktulu wait!" Aodaun growled softly in his throat, keeping pace with his bonded as she tried to conjure words, any words. Tried to find something to say, anything, that would make Ktulu stay. "You can't!" she cried, like a broken child sobbing after the mother abandoning it to the cold, eyes fogged with tears. "What about me? Huh? What about all of us?!" Her chest shook and clenched tight like a venus fly trap, crushing all her vitals into nothing but blood and emptiness.

"I said I'd always follow you but, but...we fought for this land, bled for it! I fought and bled for it! For you! And you're just giving up? Giving up on me?! On all of us?!" Tears spill down her cheeks, prompted by anger, betrayal, hurt, and confusion. Love makes you blind. Well, she had been blind then, for she'd never anticipated this blow to her soul. Movements cease, legs quake to a stop, and suddenly she's shaking her head in disbelief, the hurt in her eyes flooding out as freely as her tears. Weakly she manages a look of anger, abandonment, and she turns and stumbles over her own hooves as she tries to run, run, get away from all of this. She wasn't good with emotion, if the tangled web of them didn't show clearly enough in her eyes for all to see. How could she reply, think rationally, if she didn't even know how to react to the news? So she ran, knowing she'd never outrun Ktulu in her state of confusion and shock, but listening only to her flight or fight instincts.

She just wanted to...to...

The rest of her mind shut down.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

Lakota's reaction was what she had expected, but hoped would be different. She stopped in her retreat and listened to the poisoner she had once claimed as her own and still wished she could claim at her own. Ktulu wanted to feel anger at Lakota's question, but she could only feel sadness and regret. Regret that she had even pushed the idea of the Grey. Regret that she had let their numbers inflate so large that she had driven an entire herd out of their home for her own selfish wants. But was done and could not be undone. She could only try to repent for her wrongs. The Grey would be no more, but the Foothills would flourish, she hoped, under Apollo's rule. He was gentle where she had been abrasive, and trusting where she had been paranoid. He was far more suited to be a leader than she had ever been and ever would be.

It just took her until now to see it.

"I said I'd always follow you but, but...we fought for this land, bled for it! I fought and bled for it! For you! And you're just giving up? Giving up on me?! On all of us?!"

Ktulu closed her eyes then and ground her teeth. Why was it she was getting this reaction when Ophelia had just been told farewell and sent on her way. A white hot spark of anger and bitterness settled in her chest among the broken pieces of her heart and she turned only to see Lakota stumbling away. The dark mare cursed inwardly and set off after Lakota, hot on her tail in moments because the poisoner seemed to be stumbling over herself in her attempt to get away. "Lakota!" She barked out the mare's name and stopped, deciding that if Lakota continued on she would just let her, and if she did maybe she would linger out of sight to hear what she had to say.

"What do you want me to say?" Ktulu asked. "That I'm sorry? That I'm stupid? That I had a childish dream that we could live in neutrality and be loyal only to one another and there not be any consequence?" She shook her head and laughed bitterly to herself, realizing just how foolish she had been. "We never should have invaded the Foothills. I never should have let the Grey get as big as it did, but whats done is done. I cannot change what I did and what happened. I cannot change the fact that my executioners and my warriors did not do their duties no matter how many times they were told. They did not patrol the borders, they did not spar one another to practice. They were weak and so we were weak." But that was not why she was leaving. "I'm tired, Lakota." Her voice became weary and she shook her head once more. "I'm tired of trying to fix something that is broken. I'm tired of trying to motivate those that don't want to be motivated. I'm tired of being a failure."

Her head lifted and tried to look content with her decision, though it was obvious that she was tearing herself apart internally because she had come to think of the Grey as her family. "Apollo is strong and will succeed where I have failed. He can provide a home with the comforts that I could not." She sighed. "You told me before that you would follow me wherever I went. I'm not going to hold you to that, but know that I'm going to miss you. I'll still love you no matter your decision." That was a better goodbye than what she had attempted before, wasn't it? Ktulu sighed and turned once more. Whether or not Lakota accepted what she had to say was up to her, bur Ktulu had said her peace, though it didn't make her feel much better.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay

It was cruel of her to react so violently to Ktulu's announcement right after supporting Archibald calmly in his own departure. But how the hell was she supposed to react? Archibald was a good acquaintance, nothing more. But Lakota loved Ktulu, had followed her loyally since her first night in Helovia, had been at her hip every step she'd taken. It was completely different. On an entirely different scale, even in the case of Ophelia. It had always been Ktulu, always would be. The ache of Ktulu's heart was obvious, to someone like Lakota- someone who had spent every waking moment of every day and every endless night keeping loving and protective guard over her. And yet she was right, Ktulu caught up far too quickly, and she shied away with wet cheeks and confused, lost eyes. It was like she was a child once again, asking why Alleo had to head off to war. She looked up helplessly at the taller mare, slowing to an uncertain halt despite how she continued to fidget. She felt uncomfortable, horrified even, to show her tear-stained face to the one person who had taken her by surprise and swept her off her feet only to hit the ground stunned.

Bitter laughter stabbed her in the heart, and her ears came down to the side low against her head, remorse on her visage. And, all she could think to say, too stunned to speak or even breathe, was, "You're not a failure..." How pathetic. It comes out choked and uncertain, not knowing what to say because she's merely overwhelmed by all the confessions spilling so effortlessly, so distressingly, from those dark lips. And then she calms, sobers, and speaks in that soft voice once more.

Coal maw opens to give an explanation, to give something gods she had to say something! Of course she'd promised to always follow Ktulu! She'd done so to the very tock of the clock ticking life away in her mind, ensnaring this moment forever in the immortality of time. But before a single syllable can curl upon her tongue, she's struck into silence. Violets bloom like opening flowers into an expression of shock, heart stopping in her chest, and a rush of heat shuddering throughout her body.

"I'll still love you no matter your decision."

What. What. WHAT?!

And okay maybe she's staring at her like an idiot, but her heart just stopped and her lungs aren't functioning and and and...

All at once her breath leaves her in a rush, an odd squeak clinging to it, and holy shit what is she supposed to say? So she just lets her tongue pop out something stupid, which just happens to be: "Y-You what?" Oh yeah. Smooth, Lakota.

Her heart's in her throat and beating wildly, while her mind tries in vain to catch up to all the information flooding it. And so she's blurting out once again, and holy fuck she was going to drown the entirety of Helovia with her blubbering. "I-I...Ktulu I..." Wow okay was it getting hot? Because her face was burning. "I have H-Hana and Leo and...and..." Head spinning, dazed, and flushed she merely stood there, only moving when Ktulu turned to depart. "N-No wait!" (And fuckity fuck fuck fuckeroo when did she turn into a bumbling baby, she was supposed to be fucking cool, like, iceberg meet Antarctica cool! Not...this!) Jogging forward she didn't venture close enough to touch, clearly unsure where the boundaries lay after...all that.

Violets were half-lowered in some mixture of shyness and uncertainty as she spoke. "I cannot leave my family if they stay, Ktulu. I...I have to meet with them, before I follow you. I want to! Oh gods I want to Ktulu I do!" Breathless she blurts this out, desperation in her voice, the strain of love and family pulling her heart into even smaller pieces. "Please...please that's all I ask. Don't give up on me. I will always be here, and...and I'll send Ao if I...if...well..." She didn't want to say 'if I end up not following you' because she was terrified of what reaction she might garner with those words.

Backing up a few steps to calm the lava in her face, not that it actually helped, she ducked her head slightly and stared at a patch of trodden grass as she rushed her next words; "I-I've always...always loved you. I uh...I just...need to..." Fuck, she didn't know how to handle this situation at all. Man, she was a real Romeo wasn't she? Again she moved hesitantly backwards, waiting to see Ktulu's reaction before she went seeking her siblings.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

"Y-You what? I-I...Ktulu I..."

Ktulu stared at Lakota, stumped as to why the mare would question what she had told her. Was it not obvious that Ktulu loved the other mare? The more she thought about it, though, the more she started to understand why Lakota would question it. Midas. Ktulu loved him as well and always would. They had a daughter together, after all. It was hard, though, loving two at the same time. It only added to the gut churning, roiling emotions that made her heart ache. She needed distance. She needed to be alone to sort out everything in her head, she realized.

"I cannot leave my family if they stay, Ktulu. I...I have to meet with them, before I follow you. I want to! Oh gods I want to Ktulu I do! Please...please that's all I ask. Don't give up on me. I will always be here, and...and I'll send Ao if I...if...well..."

"Family is important." The dark mare interrupted, not liking where Lakota was going with her words, but knowing it was probably in her best interest. Still, why did she feel like her heart was being ripped from her chest and trampled in the dirt? Was this how Lakota felt everytime she saw her with Midas? She took a few steps away, pausing when she heard Lakota's profession of love. Ktulu did not turn and look back when she heard Lakota's shuffling hooves. She could envision the mare moving backwards, unsure of how to handle the current situation just as Ktulu was unsure of how to handle it.

She could do without emotions.

"I'll see you sometime." She murmured before disappearing into the darkness. Now she only had to find Apollo and tell him of her decision and hope that he wouldn't hate her for putting him in the situation she was putting him in.

Image Credits

Icon by Tay