the Rift

[OPEN] Charted Polaris [Artemis]

Tharos Posts: 37
Banned atk: 5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hands :: 9 years old HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Loon

You're only North Star I would follow this far...

Actions | "Speech" | Thoughts

A few weeks passed by uncountable as ever. Tharos had made a point of staying by the frozen arch for as long as he could in hopes that his new friend would keep her promise, but it was a promise that was impossible to keep as he soon found out- the suns absence made it impossible to tell the passage of time. So he didn't know how long it had been before he had been compelled to worry and look for her.

The moon hung low and full in the sky as the grullo stallion trotted swiftly over the increasingly rugged terrain. he knew the track well, it was one he had traversed several times- once when he was new and naive to this land, once when he was defeated and bloody after a battle, once when he was falsely confident that his life quest was over, and now again, for an entirely different reason.

His feathers swished around his hooves as he moved with a calm, purpose. When he smelled the border of the foothills, he broke into a slow canter, his hooves clopping and thumping against rocks and turf that his hooves struck with each stride. He did not cross the border, for he had enough healthy respect for those that lived here not to, but turned on a dime to canter along the line, his nostrils flared for a scent of her. He sent a silent prayer to the Goddess Kismet that she would be out this far away from the herd. He didn't want to run into any other familiar faces even though he knew it was pointless to assume that wouldn't happen.

As he thought of the filly goddess of the space that he had often played with on his homeland, his heart hurt. She was out there among the stars somewhere, the portal destroyed, her connection to him broken. He wondered if she was okay out there, or if she missed him as much as his heart ached for her. Was she watching him now? Did she approve of the cause that had compelled him to come this far south?

He slowed to a trot and then to a walk, stopping as he crested a rise. He realized with a shock that it was the same rise from which he had seen the battle taking place and on an impulse of valiance, or perhaps foolishness, he had decided to join the resistance of his new home. It had not lasted very long, but he still felt a bit sad for the loss. He had been hoping to settle here, and now he couldn't- for the new horses in charge would never accept him and he knew this.

He stood there contemplating these thoughts for several minutes and it was several more minutes before he noticed an equine figure walking towards him in the silvery moonlight. He could not tell who it was in the darkness, especially since the wind was blowing his scent towards the newcomer, but he hoped it was who he had come to see.

"Artemis?" he nickered hopefully in the semi-darkness.

@[Artemis], played by Sei
Open Slot
Three-way rp. I don't care who else responds to this, but it's only open for one other person and please let Sei reply first. <3

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei

criss-cross over miles of eyes, ending looks shooting over

The eternal night was, for many, an unbearable thing. Unrelenting, unbearable, and so very, very dark. For Artemis, it was more frustrating than simply missing the warmth of the sun on her back or the singing of birds in the dawn. The lack of time tugged at her nerves, putting her on edge. How long had it been since she had arrived here? How long since she had defeated Laila? How long since meeting Antheia and Apollo and how long since he had healed her now fading wounds? And, lastly, how long had it been since she had promised to return to the North?

She leaned upon a tree, the lantern light hung high over her body and casting bright lights over her pelt. Before her, the lanterns danced in the wind, waving slightly and inviting her deeper into the lands toward the majority of her family. Family. It was a strong word, and one that still had little flavour. A sigh escaped her lips as she turned away, standing by the borders under the lamp light, entirely lost and unsure of what to do. She could venture toward the others, maybe speak to Apollo or dare conversation with Ktulu or Archibald, but the mare kept her distance. If they wanted her, they would come for her. For now, she would remain the wordless pale ghost of the land, defending the borders as a lone guardian, standing in solitude under the lamp light.

Turning, she began her vigil, walking the borders with her eyes set forwards, squinting through the dark. The night brought dangerous time, and none were safe. If only for something to do, Artemis would guard the threshold of the Foothills. She pulled her head up high, striding on powerful legs, throwing away her doubtful thoughts and instead focusing on the task at hand.

She walked for some time before she came across any movement, and when she did she felt a snort erupt from flared nares. With a toss of the mane, she trotted toward the figure, slowing to a walk once the gap was closed and the face materialized from the dark. "Who goes there?" She demanded, her words a growl forced from gritted teeth, yet as soon as the words made it past the tight barrier, her eyes settled upon a familiar scarred chest. Ear pricking forwards, she briefly flickered her eyes upward to confirm the face. Surprised, her eyes widened as she threw her head to the side, glancing back and forth to ensure they were alone. For the time being, it seemed it was the case. "Tharos, what are you doing here?" She asked, voice softening at his name, yet worry crossing her features. She did not wish him to be caught so close, unless he wished to join the herd which she doubted completely - and neither did she wish to be took for a traitor. Still, she didn't force him away as she should have. "Has it been that long? I lost track of time..."

"Speech goes here"
Credits

[Image: 258b4tv.jpg]

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
ranjiri
                                                   calmness is the cradle of power

I'm flying! Kind of. Sorta. Okay you caught me, I'm not really flying but I can pretend, can't I?

You know I always have fun just running around the Foothills with Bear, Momma, so you shouldn't be surprised to know that I was tearing up our home again. Bear was right behind me. See, we were playing a game of tag and I was winning. Bear has really short legs so he can't keep up with me. Sometimes I would let him catch me so he doesn't feel to bad, but don't tell him that. You know how men and their pride are. It wasn't so hard to see in the dark anymore with the Moon hanging in the sky like a fat white chicken, and the lantern trees were still there, so I could see perfectly. Almost.

I should probably have been watching where I was going instead of looking back to see how far Bear was behind me.

I almost plowed right into him!

There was a big stallion on the borders of our home (I know I shouldn't have gone that far, but what's done is done) and I almost ran him over as I ran away from Bear. I know I squealed when I saw him because I was surprised that he was there. I turned and flapped my wings like it would help (I told you I was flying). If anything my feathers (which weren't so downy anymore) brushed across his chest, but I avoided hitting him, which was good because by that time my horn was already sticking out of my head and was growing faster than any other part of my body.

Still, I ended up losing my footing (I did NOT trip over my own feet) and ended up rolling in the grass. Bear was ever fretful thinking that I had broken something and that you would blame him because of it. He really was a good baby sitter though, Momma. I was pretty quick, I think, to get back to me feet and shake the dust off, but by that time a mare was already talking to the stallion that I had almost shishkabob-ed.

I ruffled the feathers of my wings and ambled closer, looking curiously from one to the other. I admit to thinking they were meeting in secret like you and daddy did. In my head that meant that they had to be lovers. "Who are you?" I asked of both of them, though I knew the mare from the herd meeting. You know, the one that you made Uncie Polly Chief in Auntie Ophie's place. I continued to look from one to the other before I voiced my next questions. "Are you guys in love?"

Credits

aud pixel!

Loon

You're the only North Star I would follow this far...

"I can talk the talk," and walk the walk, but I'm always in deep thought.

The sudden appearance of the winged filly took him by surprise and even though she did her best not to gore him with her horn, he reared up with a squeal of surprise. Wheeling away, he landed on all fours again with a quake of the earth under the force of his hooves hitting the ground. White tresses fell into his eyes as he snorted and pawed at the ground, gouging a line in the dirt with his hoof. He had his ears pinned back, but not in a mean way- he was remembering the last time he had been attacked by a unicorn and the pain and fear of death that it had placed in him.

He calmed over time, especially as he saw the one he had been hoping to see trotted up to him. Her harsh words cut into him, even though he dared not show the truth on his face. "Y'all know who I am, Missy. I ain't got a need ter identify meself..." Her next words brought a smile to his face as she greeted him softly, speaking as if to a lover. He stretched his nose forwards and made to touch muzzles with her, a formal and yet intimate greeting.

"I... I waited, ma'am, but it's impossible ter tell how much time has passed withou' that dang sun doin it's dang duty. I grew a might worrisome about yer well-bein', an so I came here ter check if ya'll was alright. We haven' known each other long but I've already taken a shine ter ya, Missy." He said all this in a quiet voice so that the filly, who had approached them again, could not overhear.

He froze when the filly spoke- her first question was natural, but the second one... he backed several steps away from Artemis and looked at the filly. "Er... name's Tharos. An'... uh... no. We ain't in love. We're jus friends. Right Missy?" Suddenly he had the distinct feeling that he was digging himself into an awkward hole and despite his instinct to stop talking, he answered the filly anyways.

He wasn't a stallion to fall easily into love. He had an appreciation of beauty, and he was a nice enough guy if he was shown the same kindness. But love? No way. He seriously doubted whether a stag of his bloodline was even capable of such a thing. Then again, something unexplainable had driven him here, and as he gazed over at Artemis, dumbstruck, the stag thought he understood why the filly would think that- the two of them were meeting in the darkness on the border. He clearly didn't belong here, and the entire situation they had been caught in was rather compromising. He wondered how Artemis felt about this, and hoped she didn't hate him, either for making her appear as a traitor in front of a young member of her own herd, or for what he had said.

@[Artemis], played by Sei
@[Ranjiri], played by Ali
heheheh
Credits

Hidden Account
Sei
(09-12-2013, 07:41 AM)Artemis Wrote:

criss-cross over miles of eyes, endless looks shooting over

His voice reached out through the dark before her eyes could make out his figure and swiftly her eyes softened, the steely grey glistening with flecks of teal. She was not sure why his presence made her spirits raise from the abyss they had, until now, settled into but she did not question it. In this land of strangers and of people who, essentially, saw her as just another tool of battle that was added to the collection, he was a welcome face. Sure, the herd was her home, but no one made her feel welcome like Tharos did. Apollo came close, of corse, but Tharos was the only true friend the mare had.

It was odd, considering everything, that she was closest to a stag of all things. Her mother was warned her that men were cruel and only used the 'lesser gender' for one thing. It seemed Helovia was far from the stereotype of her barbarian homeland, and it was a welcome change.

As he greeted her, his muzzle stretched outward toward hers. For a second she froze, letting his maw come close to her face yet before he touched, she backed up quickly. Her ears lay back for a moment, eyes filled with doubt and hesitation at the tender gesture. She threw an apologetic glance, but said nothing to excuse her actions. Luckily he distracted the nervous mare from her own worried mind. Missy, he called her and at first she let it pass over with a simple scowl, yet despite his sweet words he wasn't getting away with it twice. She lowered her head, moving forward gently in an attempt to prod him with the tip. "I have a name, lad," She said, half joking as she raised her head, arching her neck with pride. Yet as she did, she let his words sink in. He was worried about her? Why? And why had he greeted her so warmly? She was not accustomed to that sort of behaviour directed toward her.

The tiny voice seemed to come from nowhere. She had missed the near collision in the darkness, so when the voice emerged from below, she threw her ears back and stomped a hoof in response. Glancing down, she saw the winged creature gazing curiously toward the pair. She vaguely recognised her, but could not say who's foal it was. It didn't matter much. Artemis had no time to question it as the child's question flew her mind into a daze. In love? She shook her head immediately as Tharos denied it. The phrase, thou protest too much came to mind, but the child would likely accept the answer blindly. Still, it was an odd situation to find the pair in. Artemis never thought of how questionable it was before it had been pointed out so blatantly. Damn, the foal would likely tell this tale to others. Hopefully, she did not know Artemis' name, but her description alone would be enough. She swore at herself inwardly, cursing their luck. "N-no! Just friends, like he says. Now... Run along to your mother...Okay?" The embarrassment was stamped across ber face clear as day. Love was not something the mare had ever thought of, let alone felt. She couldn't even touch another horse, let alone let one into her heart. She sighed.

"Worried or not, Tharos, it's dangerous to be here. You are lucky she's a child, if any of the others saw you... Lets just say they might think far worse than she does!" She shook her head, tail slapping against her hocks. Still, she did not force him to leave. Why, she did not know. Her voice was fast paced and whispered in hushed, frantic tones. She made a mental plan to simply act as though her wished to join if the others came, or maybe she should act as if she simply did not know him? That might risk their friendship, however. That thought made her heart grow heavy. She was the only friend she had in the world. "You need not worry about me...." She added, her voice much quieter than before, the aggregation in her voice fading as she glanced nervously at the foal.

"Speech goes here"
Credits

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
ranjiri
                                                   calmness is the cradle of power

I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying because he was whispering, but I already had the hunch that he like-liked the grey mare before I even asked if they were in love. He didn't look at her the way daddy looked at you, but that's what it reminded me of. It was something new, I had decided. By the time he answered my question Bear had already come to stand next to me and was snuffling my legs and wings to make sure that I was in one piece. I shoved him with my wing so he would take it that I was fine, and he did and took a few steps forward to investigate. I'm sure you knew, of course. You knew everything before I even told you because of Bear.

"Well that's a shame." I said when they both denied that they were in love. "You're handsome, y'know." I said pointedly, my black and gold face tilted toward him. Of course I thought the mare was kinda pretty, too, but why would I say another girl was pretty? I was just learning about vanity at that point in my childhood, and besides she'd already distracted me by trying to dismiss me by telling me to run along to you, Momma.

How rude.

I snorted and puffed out my small chest and I'm sure my wings even puffed up to make me look bigger. "Momma is busy running a herd." I said to her. "And she knows where I am, anyways 'cause of Bear." I nodded toward him. "She sees everything he sees. That's how she knows." My tail waggled and Bear snuffled again, pretending to be uninterested in the conversation going on, but I knew better.

Looking back I probably shouldn't have said as much as I did, but I didn't like being dismissed. I was a lady. I was growing up and I didn't want to be treated like a child. But those notions were fleeting in my mind and I was soon listening quietly to them again before jostling my way forward and ignoring Bear who was trying to lead me away, probably so he could drop me off so he could return to spy for you, Momma.

"Hey, do you guys wanna play a game?" It was about that point when I realized that I still had not properly introduced myself. Daddy would have been disappointed in that. "Oh! And my name's Ranjiri, nice to meet ya both."

Credits

aud pixel!

Loon

You're the only North Star I would follow this far...

"I can talk the talk"
And walk the walk
But I'm always in deep thought.

Tharos watched her back up, his expression stoic even though his eyes reflected sadness. He understood, though. They were not yet close enough for physical contact. He would respect that. He straightened up and looked away, his mind wandering for a bit until he felt her horn prod him in the chest. It was a mark of the trust he had in her that he did not balk away. The memory of being gored was fresh in his mind. He glanced down at the curved weapon making a depression in his muscle, yet not breaking the skin and had to repress a shudder. He did not want to insult her.

Her next words however, stung him and he allowed this to show in his expression. He glanced at her. Honestly, he had thought the nickname was endearing. Were they not close enough for even that allowance? His ears took on a lopsided appearance as he pointed one towards the unicorn in front of him, and the other was trained on the foal. He gave the filly only a fraction of his attention as he currently had eyes only for the snowy draft in front of him. He found it easier to relax when she took the horn away from his chest. "Artemis, I know ya gots a name, but the word "Artemis" is a bit hard fer me ter pronounce. So I thought of givin' ya'll a simple nickname. ArteMIS, Missy, get it?"

His nicker was hopeful as he looked at her, almost asking her for permission to continue using the nickname. He was distracted by the presence of the bear and his head jerked around to see it. He'd seen the bear before, but in passing, from far away- it had been in the invasion of the foothills. He did not know who it belonged to, if it belonged to anyone, but he doubted that it was the companion of this foal- she had not been alive during the invasion, he was sure of that. He did note the relationship between them, though- her wing affectionately shoved the bear and he let it happen instead of mauling her to death, so they must have been close some how.

Then the filly was talking again and he tilted his head, embarrassed, as she spoke of how handsome he was and how it was a shame that Artemis didn't love him. He glanced away from both females and flicked his ears as though he did not know what do say or do under the unexpected compliment, especially since it came from one so young. Was she even old enough to have interest in the opposite sex?

Then did the stallion glance at Artemis, wondering yet again, if his verbal denial was honest or not. Something had dragged him here, whether it was love or not, he did not know. He had worried for her, cared enough to stare danger in the face for her. He knew he was not welcome here and yet, he could not keep himself away- her pull was too great. His hooves had brought him to this place almost subconsciously, and it brought him a joy he could not quite restrain to see her, even if she was telling him to leave.

"Mama is busy running a herd."

Ice pumped through his veins as his world came crashing to the floor in shards. Mama... there was only one mare who ran the foothills now. Ktulu. He had not met her, personally, but he had a fearsome reputation, and he knew that, should she find out about Artemis meeting him in private, she would not like it- they were in danger. He did not even need to hear the rest of what the filly said before he was making up his mind. He gave Artemis an apologetic glance, wanting to say something to her but not knowing if he could get away with it now.

Instead, he made to toss his head towards her in a gesture of farewell and turned to leave, only to be stopped again as the filly introduced herself. She wanted to play a game. He looked over at Artemis, bewildered. Wasn't the filly going to run back to her mother and tell her everything? For a split second, he dared to hope that she would understand the seriousness of the situation and would say nothing. He turned back around, deciding that it was best to keep the young one happy so that she would not do just that and get Artemis in trouble.

He reflected briefly on what he would do if Artemis did get in trouble... what would they do to her? Would he be able to rescue her? He wondered if she would even allow him to spirit her away from this place, rather than endure her punishment, whatever it could be. Then his mind wandered farther to the thought of starting a herd with this heavyset beauty standing closest to him, closest to his heart. He felt his heart skip a beat and he shook the thoughts away. Only if she brought it up first would he think of such things. That was the gentleman's way. Right?

"I suppose I can stay for a bit longer... what kind of game did you have in mind?"

@[Artemis], played Sei
@[Ranjiri], played by Ali
Sorry for lateness! ;3;
Credits

Hidden Account
Sei

criss-cross over miles of eyes, endless looks shooting over

His explanation for his nickname for her made her sigh, but the smile did not wane. It was not the first time she was given a nickname, though she wasn't sure if 'Missy' was much better than 'Tiger' or not. Both were equally infuriating, but she simply shrugged her shoulders and sighed with a good natured roll of the eyes. "Fine, but only because its you." She said, hating herself a little. 'Missy' was nothing like the strong warriors name she had, but it would do. Maybe she would have to give him a name, also, for revenge?

Before she had chance to think up any sort of name for the stag, a shadow shifted from among the foliage of the trees. She turned, lowering her horn, only to be greeted with the face of a bear. Only her previous sighting of the bear during the herd meeting prevented her from charging the beast, but it still made her muscles tense in preparation for a fight. The bear, however, seemed to focus his attention only upon he foal, who was not only announcing how handsome Tharos was, but how her mother was in charge and able to see through the eyes of the shaggy brown beast.

Ktulu. Ktulu's daughter. Ktulu who can see what the bear sees. She froze, legs stiffening visibly. Her eyes widened. She had yet to meet the infamous lead mare face to face, though she knew her current duty was to be guarding the borders. She certainly was failing at that job, standing chatting to an Outcast. Tharos seemed to understand, gesturing a silent farewell before turning to speed off into the gloom. She wanted to reach out and stop him; she had nobody here, she was utterly alone, yet she did nothing. Instead, the filly caught his attention, asking for a game. Inwardly, she felt relieved. He was not leaving, and neither did the filly seem bothered by the situation. Maybe she had nothing to fear. She glanced sideways toward the bear. "The foal is safe with us. Please, leave." She murmured for the bears ears only, though she doubted he would understand her tongue. She sighed at the pointlessness of her words and turned to watch the stag and filly play under the moonlight. She stood, a silent vigil overlooking the pair beside the looming shadow of the bear. "Yes, don't leave so soon. We would miss you." She whispered, just loud enough for the others to hear, smiling quietly. She realized, as she overlooked them, that she had no fear for any punishment she might receive. It is worth it, she told herself, knowing it to be true.

"Speech goes here"
Credits