the Rift

What lies in my Path

Jade Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The light chestnut mare flew through the sky. The warm sun shined its liquid golden rays upon her back, warming her. There wasn't a cloud to be seen, and the sky was a clear crystal blue color. The air buffeted underneath her wings, and her long chestnut forelock blew into her light green eyes. She winced as one of the sore muscles in her wings disagreed with her. She had been flying a lot for the past few days, and was starting to quickly tire. She hadn't wanted to come to the ground yet, and she was new to this land. She wasn't even sure who lived here, or if this was a herd's territory. She had left her family's herd group as 2 year old, and had been an outcast ever since. Wandering alone. Every once in a while she would run into someone, but not stay for long. Never a permanent home. Not she minded being outcast. She was a quiet creature; a listener. She always went by the thought that one always gained more information by listening, not by speaking. But even she was getting lonely now. She longed for company, to see other pegasi like herself, or even other equines.

The land below her was a full and luscious forest. She could see from this aerial view the streams that ran below her. Finally, she made up her mind, and tucked her wings in close to her sides, banking sharply. The wind howled in her ears, and she felt adrenaline pumping into her veins. Her small light brown hooves landed neatly on the soft ground, and she snorted in exhilaration. Her eyed her surroundings warily. There were trees all around her, and the grass was slightly muddy around her hooves. She breathed in, and the crisp scent of this new land filled her nostrils. She wondered if there were anyone around here. She walked quietly through the forest; trees surrounding her on both sides, casting long shadows across her path. She let out a soft nicker, wondering, hoping if anyone could hear her. But her small voice was whipped away in the small breeze that surrounded her, rustling the leaves.

Word count: 364

Cadence Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Cadence stumbled through the trees, tiring now that the cold was gone and the heat had come again. Her wings were folded neatly at her sides, and she was in fine condition, but she didn't enjoy the warmth at all. She found a little path, probably made by some creature, and started walking with light steps. After some time, a sound weaved it's way through the standstill wood, and into Cadence's area. She stopped dead, her feet trembling. Then she remembered that she was not in danger. As she started walking on, she got excited about another living creature, and rose to a trot. Her lungs started working again, then complained, but the wide-eyed and perky-eared creature trotting through the woods did not stop. Her ice-gray coat was starting an ambitious collection of dirt and a little sweat; her mane and tail decided on twigs instead.

Cadence trotted on, her ears ready for another noise, and then stopped in front a boulder. No matter, I'll just go over it. She spread her beautiful white-feathered appendages and her hind legs slung her up into the air. Cadence rose her grey muzzle into the sky, and curled her front legs up under her. She landed on the other side with a thud, and moved on at a canter.

As a red blot came clear through the trees, Cadence made it out as a chestnut, making it's way through the woods. "Hello. I don't know if you're in need of a companion in your travels. I'm Cadence, and I have been alone for some time now. May I walk with you?" Cadence's bird-like trill echoed through the space, making a squirrel scuttle up a wide Oak.

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow
A P O L L O

And how can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
Busy was perhaps not the correct word to use.

Perhaps it was more befitting of an actual phrase, such as 'torn in all directions at once'. That nearly summed up how Apollo was feeling on that particular day, yet another day that was spent drenched in darkness. A deep breath expelled from the stallion's throat, head shaking as he paced his way evenly through the thick forests of the Threshold. His visits to this region had been more and more frequent as of late. Spending his time searching for lost souls who were looking for a home, for a place to belong... A place to feel safe.

Apollo was beginning to feel as though duty demanded that he be in multiple places at once, a feat that was physically impossible. Recruit new members into the herd, watch over the Foothills alongside Ktulu, patrol their herd borders, protect their members... Granted, he didn't really need to do that last bit, as nearly everyone in the Foothills was more than capable to handle themselves in any situation. It used to be requirement that such knowledge let someone into the Grey, but now... Apollo gave another snort. Now, he didn't know what was requirement.

Things were bleak in these black times, indeed... And he was struggling to find ways to make it better. Of course, the black and white overo did nothing to allow his family members in the Grey to see his uncertainty. Around them he continued to be warm, kind, jovial... Yet certainly a few of them had noticed his change in behavior. It came with stress, you see... Stress and uncertainty, with a pinch of fear.

In darkness' shadow the stallion traversed, one hoof at a time, honey-brown eyes lingering for anyone who may be around. Dipping his head respectfully beneath a low branch from a tree, the Merciful continued his survey, and it wasn't long into his venture that voices carried through the dark sky. Female, from the sound of them, a nicker and then a voice... Apollo's head tilted to the side, his gait pausing momentarily. Nothing about the vocals seemed dangerous or threatening, but simply yearning and sweet.

Lifting his head high, crystalline horn pointed to the dark heavens, Apollo continued on his vigil. Stepping through the trees, his tail lashed once to the right as his eyes rested upon two forms; one a clear grey, the other a vivid chestnut. The Chief called out a greeting to them in the form of a warm nicker, then spoke.

"Greetings, ladies," Apollo murmured softly, kindly, eyes sizing up the two winged mares, "Welcome to Helovia. I am Apollo." A boyish grin tugged at his lips, upturning the corners slightly and he tossed his head, pointing his horn towards the sky. "I'm afraid this isn't the best of times to have wandered into this land, due to the darkness... Is there anything I can do for either of you?"

[ooc: To mirror Apollo, welcome to Helovia! In case you are both unaware, there is a Side-Wide Plot going on where Darkness has descended upon Helovia, due to a rift in Time that the Gods are trying to fix. There is no sun, but the moon is about with stars in the sky, and there are glowing 'lantern-trees' to help the residents of the land see where they are going. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! :D]

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Unregistered
The mare kept making her way through the shadowy forest. Her long tail just reached the ground; the tip of it picked up twigs on the forest floor. Even though there was darkness, a sheen of sweat was on her neck. She had been traveling for days, and was tiring quickly. Moonlight glinted through the canopy of trees that was above her, shining on her back. The only sound that she heard was the steady pounding rhythm of her hooves, and the racing of her heart against her chest. She wondered if anyone or anything lived in this land of darkness. She had the funny feeling that she was being watched, and was becoming uneasy. Though, she assumed, it was her mind playing tricks on her.

Suddenly, she heard hoof beats behind her. She gasped and whirled around. There was a winged pale grey mare standing a few length away from her. "Hello. I don't know if you're in need of a companion in your travels. I'm Cadence, and I have been alone for some time now. May I walk with you?"

Jade walked a few steps closer to her. She pricked her ears and stuck her nose out in a friendly gesture. "It's nice to meet you! My name is Jade, and I have just come to this new land. Yes, I would love company on my travels, but I am looking to be part of a herd. Are you an looking to be in a herd also?" Suddenly out of nowhere, she heard another set of hoof beats behind her. She turned around and there was a stallion behind her. The glinted moonlight through the trees made his coat look silver, but as he came closer, she noticed he was a black and white paint. He had a silver horn, sticking out from his forehead.

"Greetings ladies. Welcome to Helovia. I am Apollo." She didn't know how, but from the way he spoke, she could tell he was something important. "I'm afraid this isn't the best of times to have wandered into this land, due to the darkness... Is there anything I can do for either of you?"

Jade smiled respectfully at him. Hello! It's nice to meet you. My name is Jade, and I'm new to this land. I was looking to be part of a herd. Do any live here?

Unregistered
Cadence swished her tail in slight surprise and annoyance at all the things happening at once- the other mare introducing herself, then a unicorn appearing from the dense trees. "Oh, hello. I think that I do have a question, if you would oblige. I was wondering, is there a land where many Pegasi roam like myself? Possibly a place to settle down, reside? I have been wandering for quite some time, and it can be tiring." Cadence tended to either let her words flow or box herself up into silence when new creatures were introduced to her life, and this time, she had made her choice. She glanced around, noting the warmth in the air with no source. The glowing trees here and there surprised her, and she momentarily pondered on this. Cadence knew night existed, of course, but it usually stayed in its territory of dusk to dawn. It was not either of those. "I'm sorry, before we decide on living here; may I ask why the land is lit with only the trees and the stars? It does not make any sense."

Cadence's question seemed to float into the lukewarm air, dancing in the space, deciding which ears to flatter with her beautiful tone. Life brought you many things, but beauty was one thing that both was and was not brought. Cadence really wasn't sure of the idea of a dark, haunting world, so she tried to sing-song her way into even a flicker of hope. Now seemed the perfect time for that flicker to burn, for the tweet coming from the bird-like mare to pick up the dead feeling and toss it somewhere else. The ice-grey mare now processed the other Pegasus's greeting. Jade. Like the gemstone. It seemed uncanny that not only was the darkness was greeting Cadence in her search for a home, but also a darkly-colored paint. The gemstone mare seemed to help that flame flicker along, give it a gleam. Now it just needed to spark.

[OOC: Oh, thank you! Sorry for any mentions of sun in my previous post. And thanks for the info on the plot! Sorry for the delayed post everyone.]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow
A P O L L O

And how can you say that your truth is better than ours?
Shoulder to shoulder, now brother, we carry no arms
Both of the mares seemed genuinely surprised to see him and Apollo couldn't help but pause and simply chuckle. They both seemed rather innocent creatures, but Apollo knew as well as anyone that they could be something else entirely beneath the surface. Sucking in a deep breath, the stallion held onto his breath for a few moments and then let it out slowly, evenly.

"It is wonderful to meet you, Jade," he said respectfully to the chestnut beauty, head dipping low towards her and offering her a kind, welcoming smile. Turning his head to survey the pale Pegasus, Apollo offered her a head dip and a bow as well. "And you, as well. To answer both of your questions, yes, there are herds here. There are four herds in the land of Helovia."

Lifting his head, Apollo continued to speak, his soft, honey-brown eyes turning from Cadence to Jade, then back again. "Far north from here is the Aurora Basin, but I wouldn't suggest for you two to go and venture there. That herd is filled with bitterness towards any species who do no have horns upon their brows. A few of their ranks and numbers are welcoming to non unicorns, but..." Giving his shoulder a good roll to imitate a shrug, the black and white overo continued. "To the south is the Dragon's Throat. Many Pegasi reside there, but not everyone is graced with wings. To the east is the World's Edge herd, a find land that welcomes all breeds and creeds." Sucking in a last breath, the Merciful went on with a toss of his head, the smile upon his dark lips jovial an welcoming. "Then there is my herd, which isn't terribly far from here. I am Chief of the Windtossed Foothills, a mountainous region that is rich with food and water, and plenty of space to stretch your legs... Or your wings."

Apollo gave another chuckle and slowlly shook his head, the ebony tresses of his mane swaying slightly. Shifting his weight, Apollo stood, and turned his orbs on Cadence. The gentle smile that was strewn upon his lips dropped, and a sad sigh released itself from his nostrils, ears tipping back slightly.

"I do not understand the intricate details as to why exactly our land has been plagued by darkness... It has been this way for a very long time now. All I can tell you is that something is wrong, and our four Gods have gone to fix whatever has happened. The Goddess of the Moon has returned, I believe, which has granted us the moon and stars in the sky... And I'm beginning to believe that the God of the Earth ha returned as well." Here, Apollo tilted his head upwards and indicated towards the trees above them, which grew lush with leaves and foliage despite the dark sky. "The trees and plants across the land have healed and thrived. One by one our Gods are coming home... And soon, I hope, everything will be right again."

Clearing his throat, the Merciful grew quiet to allow them both some time to take in everything that he had said. Surely it was a lot to digest.

"If either of you are searching for a place to call home... Then allow me to extend an invitation to you, to follow me to my herd in the Foothills."

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Unregistered
Jade looked from one equine to the next. The moonlight shining on them made them look slightly silver. Though she was tired from traveling, and flying for miles and miles, her heart raced with excitement at finally meeting this two. It was nice to finally have people to talk to at last. She smiled respectfully at Apollo as he told her it was nice to meet her. She listened intently as he explained about the four herd lands. She knew for sure that she didn't want ever go near the Basin. She never had like racist creatures. She had always been open hearted to everyone and always understood different situations. He then explained about the other three herds; the Throat, World's Edge, and the Foothills. Apollo himself, was chief of the Foothills.

He then explained about the darkness, she was genuinely surprised. She had never heard of gods existing before, and wanted to learn more about them. She hoped the gods would be able to fix it, and help. She felt as if her mind were about to explode with so much new information. Though it was filled with darkness, Jade wanted to learn more about this new land and become a part of it. Her mind raced with excitement as Apollo told her that she could follow him to the Foothills. She slightly stuttered as she replied, "Yes, thank you. I would love to join you in the Foothills. I will be very glad to finally have a place to call home."

OOC: sorry for such a long wait and a bad, short post. Life's been going crazy on me. My posts will get longer. Also, do I now post an acceptance thread in the foothills?

Unregistered
Cadence gazed at the paint as he explained, perplexed. Wow, they had it
bad here. And yet they stayed. The creatures here must really love it. The grey mare's wings shivered at the explanation, but in addition had a greater reason to react. A possible home. Sure, Cadence's mind automatically shouted at her, this is not a threatening land. If it looks safe, it is. But those assumptions had not gotten her anywhere in her life. Think. This was the moment to decide. Yes, it was safe. No one was going to reject her. And then there was that mention of "the Basin." Although her instincts murmured quietly that she should be resentful of all beings residing in the Basin, something in the sweet little Cadence's mind told her otherwise. Maybe they were nice, maybe her curiosity was correct. All these things spun around inside the skull of the shy Cadence, who actually wasn't normally that shy. Okay, so she was accepting the offer for the Foothills. What happens, shall happen.

Cadence looked up. "I thank you for the explanation. And I am very grateful of the offer to come to the... Foothills, you called them? Yes, I do believe I accept. Once again, my thanks to your hospitality." The brave young mare sighed in contentment and her ears pricked forward, waiting for the paint to somehow signal what to do next. She glanced at the other mare, who seemed (to Cadence) to have a far easier time deciding on whether or not it was safe to accept residential help in this broken new world. Yes, this horned creature had an element of kindness, but there was always a bad apple in the vicinity, it seemed like. And now, the natives seemed more to themselves. They didn't rush out to "put a roof over your head" every time you came wandering along. It was all you if you wanted to live. Every equine for himself.

The world of Helovia seemed like a very tricky place.

Then, Cadence saw light rise through the corner of her eye. As she turned, her breath caught and she went in reverse for a moment. Light. Sun. The land of Helovia was being visited by light for the first time in well, a long time from what the stallion had said. Like the poles on either side of this strange world, Helovia was greeting the sun after a long sleep under a black cloak. Beautiful.

[OOC: Oh and sorry for my horrible sense of humor, if anyone noticed. I have a similar question. I have viewed the Foothill's ranks, rules, etc. info and am still confused about the Foothill's procedure for new members of the herd. I understand that I should apply for a rank after two weeks of joining, but I don't want to make a mistake in asking to join the herd. I'm still new to all this. Thanks for all your help!