the Rift

[PRIVATE] Is this a dagger which I see before me, the handle toward my hand?

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather

[Continuation from this thread.]

The prelude and prologue of altered artifices, clambering dins and riotous strings, seditious garrotes, revolutionary gallows, clenched teeth and ruthless discourses hung over the heady, pressing shadows. He proceeded into the thicker rush of hushed corridors, where snippets of conversation could be exalted, unheard, unsung from the ravenous courtyards, from the scenic peaks and stretches of subversive ears. A dais of war erupted other melancholies than the trivial pursuit of bloodshed, campaigns, crusades and victories; he’d paid witness to the shambles and remnants of a Lady torn asunder, awakened by a manic press of asp vitriol, and a mechanic’s gears churning, rusting and broken, clanking and disassembled. Their world spun on change, alterations offered and bestowed in spitting venom, bitterness thrust into slashing scythes, rancor and mania teetering a fine edge, distorting punishments and resolutions into the unholy sentiments of sinister, nefarious divisions. Somehow he’d managed to become the arbiter, ushering the untamed souls into the veils of Stygian discussion, mulling over the former words hissed from Psyche; vexed and exasperated, readily, eagerly, willingly, proclaiming her title to the engineer, Ulrik. Had it been a mere boast, a wrathful jest, an exclamation of her ire, of her repentance, of her dramatics? Or had she pressed the notion down their throats for the trial of the beast, bestowing him a herald, a throne, dominion and sovereignty, to see if he could do better? Could he? Is this what the fellow infidel wished for, finally bestowed the chance for upheaval, for change and disorder, chaos brimming in the follies of their passing crusade? Was he capable of assembling their raw, ferocious masses, their barbaric soldiers, their bleeding hearts? What was the lesser of two evils, with both beings recently incapable of finishing their end of duels, skirmishes and invasions? The Reaper didn’t have the answers, and no matter how much he calculated, he couldn’t imagine a steady resolution in sight – in either case, they were to be forced to bow to a creature recently bearing only cowardice, only devotion in words, forgetting actions should reciprocate promises. So the impassive, reticent monster, with his demonic stare, with his coiled machinations, with his unattainable prowess, drew the brutality from prior circumstances, concocted the callous art of his cruelty, polished raw, potent candor upon the licentious Lady. Annihilation, confirmation and affirmations were necessary, and the ravenous poise of the clustered union only bore imperious, stoic scheming, tense, hostile, fierce anarchy boiling in the moon’s forbidding clarity. “You are granting Ulrik your crown?”

@[Ulrik] @[Psyche]

DEIMOS
the reaper

texture - resurgere.deviantart.com

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

Did she mean that which she had spat so vehemently in the engineer's face? Was this the end of her glorified reign, or only a show of her overwhelming emotions? She had worked oh, so hard, for oh, so long, to hold her feelings in check, to present only the face of superiority and victory to her peers; and yet now the mask had fallen in shambles at her feet, and so she plodded on towards her own demise, though one would be hard pressed to tell if she were unknowing or uncaring, or perhaps both. The bestowal of her title upon one so obviously lesser than she (for though he bore a horn on his brow, she refused to bow to his arrogance) was an act, perhaps, of revenge, or perhaps a poorly thrown tantrum. Anything to get herself out of the hole that she had dug on that battlefield. Anything to prevent her secret from forming words, erupting into the night and beginning yet another drama from which she could not hope to emerge unscathed.

I can't do this anymore.

She had felt it on the battlefield, and she felt it again now: failure. It sank into her bones, into her very soul, reminding her of why her father had never looked upon her with pride, had never chosen her to ascend the ranks; she had been but a soldier, a pawn in his chess game of eradication. And she had bought it, hook, line, and sinker; she had followed his lead without pause, idolized him, given all that she had to follow in his footsteps, even when presented with evidence that his line was corrupt. She had arrived in this land knowing, knowing that her blood was toxic, and yet she had pursued its course eagerly, never pausing to wonder if there might be another way. And now, she had lost everything. Now, she was no one. Before, there was her crown; now, there was nothing.

She was nothing.

There was nothing for her here.

She did not deserve her title. She did not deserve her crown.

But she could not admit it. Would not admit it. With nothing else to call her own, she clung to her misshapen identity as though it might provide buoyancy through the political turmoil that she found herself in; without it, she might sink, never to be heard from again. Who was she kidding? Even with it, she was drowning, flailing hopelessly in a never-ending sea of defeat. She would not rule Helovia; she would not stomp the life out of the lesser beings. She would not even hold her own kingdom. No, she would leave. She would run. Like a coward. Perhaps that was all she really was.

When Deimos followed her, wanting clarification, she almost told him that she had nothing left to give him; almost, but not quite. Instead, she bit her tongue to keep herself from shrieking her frustration before whirling on him, anger flaring in her belly. Its brief fire was enough to bring some of the old condescension to her vocals, though it died down just as quickly as it had come, replaced instead by the numbing despair of loss. "Clearly you think you could do better without me," she hissed. "Never mind that I brought us here. Never mind that the God of Time granted me his favor. But you do not want me here, so I will leave."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

The engineer had shifted from being berated by Deimos to the much more interesting conversation regarding the crown. He eyed Deimos slightly and nodded once. The general had to follow the laws. He had to ensure that they truly were fighters and not just bullshitting, and Ulrik had to admit that his battle track record was in the dumps. "A victory you shall get," he promised with a single nod of his head before following Psyche, narrowing that strange, bronze gaze.

Kirchoff seemed to understand that the situation was tense. The tiny, runty pup decided to stay farther away from them and sat his furry butt down near some course grasses, watching his master with curiosity. Ulrik had never made any play for leadership before, even among his own kind. When creative differences separated them, the stallion had politely left and wandered here. What made this situation so different?

Ulrik knew why. Because in a battle where they should have won, they were proven weak. At least his brethren were strong; they only did not much appreciate his unique, engineering skills. The bitch in front of him had lost her true crown, the horn on her head that gave her power over all others. She had fallen against some feather brained idiot while they were invading! Ulrik had no words to describe the embarrassment and fury he felt. The stallion's ears flattened against his skull.

Deimos seemed to be downright pissed off, and Ulrik knew better than to stay close. He had seen the Reaper's power before, so the engineer stepped to the side to give him room to let his hatred flow through power. When Deimos asked if Psyche would give him her crown, he watched her with interest, bronze eyes gleaming with curiosity. The stallion grinned just a little.

She threw an absolute hissy fit and Ulrik raised a brow and cocked his weight onto one hip as if he was bored. The stallion sighed just a little. "I said that I would do better than you," he grunted. Ulrik then felt the anger fill his heart again. "You take credit for holding the herd together after our loss? Mauja did that, not you. The Time God be damned. You lead us here, but all the fuck you had to do was walk." Ulrik spat angrily, his mad eyes showing nothing but the blackness in his soul.

"I take your crown then, Psyche." Ulrik lifted his neck almost proudly, in a manner rather strange for the somewhat anti-social and distant outcast. "I take it from you since you so politely offered. Your self awareness does you credit..." he growled, lips curling back from his white teeth in a sneer.

BRINGING YOU ANOTHER DISTURBING CREATION
from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference

Credits

Heather

The seething tension, strain, antipathy, and antagonism seared into the cretin depths of his desecration, molding, weaving, contorting, carving the foundation of rage, fury and ire until he thought the loss of his control imminent. It somehow remained, forged and resolute as words became clamors, as phrases became threats, as emboldened, hurt, audacious embers foiled and spoiled old glories. The sparks of indignation tore, ignited, incised, exasperation exploding into the breadth of shame, and he felt no weight of the responsibility, the blind accusations. Did she blame him for her recent tribulations? Did she place all her rancor, all her bitterness, upon a beast who’d asked for a declaration of response from his leader, one who’d flown into the night, left them to falter in the sand and grit? All the savage discourse was misplaced malevolence upon his resolute fervor, when all of her tirades and turbulence should have been sunken, harpooned, into her chest, into her thoughts, into her mind, congealed in the taste, in the flavor of belligerence and humiliation. He would willingly give her the credit she was due, the uniting of a broken harem, the sharpened edge of their animosity, the grinding, puncturing friction of their heresy, but hadn’t they all contributed? Hadn’t they all fostered pride, forgot condemnation, consigned themselves to the persevering anchor and weight of cumbersome loads? Hadn’t they fought, hadn’t they all dreamed, hadn’t they all yearned? And now, she hoisted herself upon a pedestal, poured all their strength, all their tangible prowess, into her own doing and possession? The Reaper’s brutal fortitude, resilience and capability had not been for her to claim, to hold, to dominate, but for the land, the earth, for each glacial cavern, for each stone placed upon their chilling empire, and she sought to reign over its brawn, diminish, distort, the reasons behind his queries? The festering of his heated acrimony, barbaric enmity, hostile loathing, didn’t fall over his brow, but curled into his chest, pierced the vicious, ferocious, forthright tones. “You twist my words. I asked for explanations.” He paused, directing the full, taut contempt of his stare into her gaze, to spew her accusations back into the midnight air, to correct inappropriate, misguided, ill-judged phrases. “Not for your departure.” It wouldn’t have been his place to demand her withdrawal, not when others mimicked the same actions, but to sully his regard, his dominion, for theatrics, for dramatics, was an unsuitable ploy. He refused to be maligned by her, the General who’d served their sovereignty without complaint, without refusal, grinding his daggers into souls, ensuing depravity, unwinding calamity, at the pulse of her word.

Then she tossed them away, flung her distinction, her title, her circlet, into the air, as if it didn’t matter, as if they’d tarnished her reputation into damnation (hadn’t she done this on her own?), as if by conjuring her errors into the land, they’d purred and poured her destruction. Deimos stared, shocked, surprised, eyes widening, as she effectively thrust her diadem into Ulrik’s covetous grasp, forgoing triumphs and conquests because she’d been reminded of her faults, of her errors. Instead of yielding, unwinding and attempting to embark on crusades to right the faulted ship, she simply abolished her credentials. Had someone so embossed with credentials, absolution, and obliteration, with impending sway, with foretold authority, tossed it aside? Had she been always been such a creature, and they’d never seen the end of her ambitions, the toppling of her figurine? Or were they treated to this juncture because they’d witnessed the stumbling, the faltering, the vulnerability, and she could think of no other way to combat the moment? Psyche’s actions were met by his stunned, stony silence, the reticent claws surfacing back over his corrupted features, gaze sliding back to the smirking, snickering mechanic, wondering what was to befall them next. Was it to be dissolution at the culmination of all their wicked deeds, leaving a fragmented coronet behind to be embodied by another? Was this the end of her reign, suffering defeat one last time, incapable of feeling anymore crashing against her senses? If they’d all been, become, beings giving up, retreating, waning and whining, surely, wouldn’t the Basin fall?

DEIMOS
the reaper

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

She wanted to be angry. Oh, how badly she wanted it. She longed to feel the flame of fury burst through her veins, yearned for the quickened pace of her heart as the adrenaline of metaphorical battle surged through her veins. As she stood, nostrils flared with defiance as she looked from Deimos to Ulrik and back again, all she desired in this world was to draw herself up like times long past, to pin her auds at their insolence, to reprimand them with the cold fury that she had been so well known for - and yet, she couldn't. No matter how badly she wished for her old self to return, it had been lost with her horn, and that was that.

"You did," she admitted grudgingly to the Reaper, for her attack upon him was unearned. He had done as she would have expected him to do, in times gone past; it was the upstart engineer that had tread so carelessly on her worn nerves, and it was to him that she should rightfully direct her false anger. She could not apologize, for she had not sank so low as to allow herself that particular weakness, but she could hope that he saw her apology in the short statement she directed to him. Or, rather, she hoped for a moment, but then that, too, sank into the oblivion of grief.

Ulrik was too wordy, too above himself by far, and again the spark of rage struck in her chest, and again it failed to catch. "Where were you when she struggled in the Steppe that winter? Where were you when the FrostHeart took his leave? Where were you when we first stepped into this valley? You were not by my side then, and you will not tell me what I did or did not do. You may have my crown - if you can find it." A mirthless laugh left her lips, dry and hollow, and it never reached her eyes. She turned from the engineer, her irritation still short-lived, though she would not soon forget his empty taunts. One day, he would pay.

"You serve the Basin well, Deimos, and for that, I am grateful." It was the closest to praise that she could give to her General. "You would do better than he as Lord." It was a suggestion, the tiniest nudge in the right direction, for she knew then that she could not stay. She would not rule those who ridiculed her behind her back (as she assumed they were doing - not all were as bold as the steed that had so stupidly flaunted her failures in her face), not until she had regained her self worth. Not until she was whole again. No, the DarkEmpress had fallen. The Lady of the Basin was no more.

It was time to start over.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

Ulrik had no interest in being a lead, no interest in politics. As he had told Torleik not a few days earlier, politics undid him. The stallion did not want power or glory; his mad, wild mind did not understand such concepts as desirable. All he wanted was to prove that his race, his species and his blood was as superior as he had always believed - believed in mind, body and soul. Were he a leader, he would not have abandoned his fight in fury and embarrassment, and he would have challenged her like a proper stallion. If he was a leader, he would have been an active member of the herd, not a normal outcast.

The engineer knew this about himself well enough, but he also knew that sacrifices had to be made for the better good. Right now? Psyche was the enemy of the superiority of their blood, the race of the unicorns and the uniform, solid front of brutal strength, mystery and power. Her weapon was lost - her body fallen at the hooves of a pegasus. She was unfit to lead a herd to glory, as bested and beaten as she was.

Perhaps if he had been normal - had a brain that operated on the same wavelength as everyone else, he would have felt pity. But, his emotions for others were screwed up, lost somewhere in the vast abyss of calculations and schematics for grander, more devious plans. The engineer waited as Psyche managed to keep her pride while replying to Deimos' statements, and he still found her to react childishly. Why would she not just give up? Why couldn't she just make this easier on herself and admit defeat?

"I was not by your side because ever since you came back to the herd in the World's Edge after leaving to birth your child, we've lost," he stated openly, blatantly. The words were not entirely untrue. "Ever since you were leading us? We've lost. I had no interest in freezing in this god-forsaken snow desert after we were kicked out of the forest, and I returned to serve our species. " Ulrik's expression turned darkly stern.

"We had a common goal, you and I - to prove ourselves superior, as unicorns, over all the common rabble in this world." Ulrik's lips curled back, revealing his teeth, and he lowered his neck. "And you LOST!" The stallion snapped. "You are still of my blood, and we still have work to do to prove to all the others that we are strong. But, you are not the one to lead us into that truth anymore - not after you have failed us so many times." The stallion nodded once and listened to what she said about Deimos.

"Moreso than any of us, myself included," he agreed seriously.

Ulrik had every intention of giving the leadership position to Deimos, but he wanted to speak to the Reaper first. Goals had to be set. Promises had to be made. A unified strength needed to be gathered under this glorious banner of their kind, but he had to make sure that the General was of the same mind - or at least similar mind.

He wasn't entirely a barbarian, after all.

BRINGING YOU ANOTHER DISTURBING CREATION
from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference

Credits

Heather

The Reaper listened as turbulence disturbed the boundaries of their iced aspirations, halted ambitions, torn and frayed audacities, as Lady and engineer turned against one another. He kept a silent hold over the shadows, bent and molded into the shades of Stygian corruptions, captured each ripple of shambled, simmering damnation, offered not a single opinion to the tension, to the tiresome, loathsome contention and discord. Psyche exhaled her torrent, Ulrik maintained his savage puncturing of her leadership, and the General absorbed, a corporeal presence of deadly contortions, of vicious, infernal convictions, as hostilities fell apart and only the boiling, bubbling animosity filled the night’s flourishing gloaming. Absences, losses, failures and defeats built and stirred the rhythm of their anguish, of their heated wrath, of their screeching, screaming defiance and insurrection, and sedition, revolution, landed, harked and heralded its bewitching, beguiling innards, claimed subversion over hands that’d merely asked for answers and declarations. Blatant, festering wounds, scything tongues, nefarious lacerations clawing and ripping, engraving abhorrence and contempt into the loathing gestures of both, scarring their once heinous munitions and motions into crumbled bits of antagonistic animosity. Superiority brutalized and fumbled, and all the while he was the pondering, meticulous, calculating witness, wondering how they’d unite tyranny again, how they’d corrupt virtues, how they’d embark on heathenous sketches and molds, how they’d blend their twisted hearts and distorted souls into the same breadths of domination. Poisoned and contaminated, blighted and spoiled, the rancorous clarity, the severe doldrums, the heat of their riotous clamor and uproar only spelled out the disastrous art of their former triumph; they’d spun quickly into a downward spiral, into the incensed umbrage, into the cold, harsh, unrelenting truth of catastrophes. Barbarians’ wills tightened and stiffened, soldiers’ hands incapable of encompassing swords, indifference and complacency soiled into the roots of their specious brutality – perhaps all along they’d been deluded by their strength, by their philosophy, by the weight of their might and dominion – and the General stoked the flames of his apocalyptic strife, harbored and harpooned the absolution of their remorseless bounty, their ruthless embers, thought how to destroy over and over again instead of making enemies of themselves.

But his name crossed over their molten mouths, and Deimos’s attention was drawn back to the torrential schemes of monarch and mechanic, captured the edges of their statements. He’d been sown into the winter tapestry, he’d been unearthed and christened for the raw brutality, for the wild, heinous, ferocious debacles, for each and every brushstroke of satanic origin, gleamed when the prosperous, warped calculations severed virtues, puzzled and attempted to fix the broken shells when conquest stomped upon their rasped backs. He’d held his rapier, he’d allured, beguiled, seduced death upon their opponents, beckoned the Tartarean, carnivore sentiments to move, to swindle, to stitch and stain their adversaries, clenched power aloft, possessed dominion in the strength in his stride. He lived for treachery, for the vicious, vile villainy pressed into their minds, into their debauchery, for the horror, for the terror, of unwinding the lesser; except now, it appeared as if they were the indulgent, the weak, the inept and vacuous. His eyes widened a fraction once more, as their lips blended, sank into the murmurs of sovereignty pressed upon his skull, a crown to bear. Instead of contemplating further, for perhaps it was to blight Ulrik, perhaps it was to muster the weaknesses of Psyche, he swore himself again, felt no need to repress the bestial, feral anarchy built into his lungs, into his chest, into his veins. “My efforts are for the Basin and the Plague.” It hadn’t been for Lordship, for a throne, but for disaster, for destruction, for ruin and abomination. And if he so deserved the mantle, rule, monarchy and kingly pursuits, he said naught about it, and instead, permitted the notion to ignite inside his cranium, slink and crawl, past the burning fires of his father’s prowess, and into the alluring, entrancing tides of complete, utter domination. Even indifference couldn't sunder the image of conquering foes with a darkened, deadly coronation.

DEIMOS
the reaper

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The throes of perdition may well be preferable to the shade's emotions as they roiled turbulently beneath the surface. Never before had she been so close to throwing off the mask of strength and fortitude in favor of the shattered fragments of her soul; but then she had never been quite so broken, so defeated. A small part of her wanted nothing more than to kick and scream and fight the blame that Ulrik placed upon her, but the mental tantrum did not rise past her lips, deadened as they were by shock and pain. Again she felt the need to defend herself, for would he not feel as she did if he had lost his most prized possession?

She wondered, then, when she had begun to feel.

But words would not come, and she merely shook her head, a look of disgust etched in the lines of her face. He was a coward, a gutless worm. She may have failed in combat, that was true, but she had not abandoned her kin in their time of need. Despite his arguments to the contrary, she had led them to greatness. Were they not the largest clan in Helovia? Did they not boast some of the most powerful magics in the land? They had not won their battles, that was true enough - but did that have to mean that they had lost the war? She had not led them to that battlefield to die, and they had lost no one save Faelene (who hadn't even been there, after all). No, she was not the evildoer here; she was the wronged party, and perhaps one day she would teach Ulrik as much.

But not today.

"It seems to me," she observed cooly following the engineer's tirade, "that you have lost with and without me. Why should I hold the blame for your failures?" It was a rhetorical question, though she fully expected a retort; Ulrik was determined not to allow her the last word, and she hadn't the energy to spare on his stupidity. Again she returned her attention to her General, who had remained largely silent (as ever) throughout the conversation. "I hope they will continue to be," she replied to his declaration of intent. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." With one last glare at Ulrik, she turned and walked away.

[OOC | Psyche out. She has given up her leadership of the Basin, which is now left to Ulrik and Deimos to sort out.]

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.