the Rift

Chasing the sun, thunderheads at my tail

Carnesîr Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
wanda
He flew.

He leapt and danced and twirled like the falling leaves, the summer rain sweet on his lips as he ran, slender legs quivering beneath his lithe frame, tail kinking and knotting in pride and wonder. Sorrows rested heavy on his chest, but he shook them off, shedding the tears on his face, until he was unburdened once more, just a child chasing the sun. "Ego!" They had cried, their voices hammering against his face like glinting swords cutting at his heart, and he looked at Lólindir, a pleading crescent curling his lips, but she looked away.

"Tolo ar nin!" The child uttered outloud, a diamond falling from his eyes of earth. No tears, he told himself. Onwards he took, through the falling leaves and autumn storms, a seed of dandelion fluff stolen by the wind, a corpse carried away by the tide of the sea.

When the first flakes of silver flakes fell, he made light of it, even as worried tugged at his heartstrings, memories of the fragile unicorns who whispered in fear in the forest of the darkness ahead, the scarcity of what would quench thirst and ease hunger. From the first snowfall, quick as the river flowing downhill he let himself run, tugging free of the clutching memories, outrunning a past he could not escape.

Still they stepped in his dreams, murmuring apologies. "Yonya, alámenë." Go away! GO AWAY!

The first hairs of his beard were beginning to appear, and for that he was proud, looking at his reflection in the water with glee until a crackle of hooves, loud and harsh, disturbed him. Once more, the colt turned to run.

Darkness fell as he soared away from all the mistakes, darkness that became deep and impenetrable, and suddenly he was reduced to little more than a shadow in the trees, alone, without mother or father to turn to, no sun to guide him forward.

"Massë?" He cried out in a voice as soft as silk and a lovely a sound as imaginable. "Massë?"

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

Dappled moonlight passed over her sterling coat as she slipped through the murk, cleft toes moving through the underbrush soundlessly. Eyes the color of rain wandered through the forest far faster than her feet ever could, searching the grey for any sign of life. It had been seasons since she last passed through this haven for the homeless, and memories of darkness and red eyes chasing at her heels haunted her. With the moon's gentle face glowing over Helovia, the darkness seemed so much milder, so much sweeter; under new moon it had been malevolent, almost waiting to swallow you whole. She shuddered, remembering the shades of Isilme and their angry black teeth, ever ripping for your throat. Old wounds ached at the thought, but she still hurried on her way, wishing some old soul would appear so she could go home.
She did not have to wait long.
A sad, sweet voice danced over the silence on ballerina legs, soft and uncertain - the voice of a lost child, of abandon, of sorrow. Dark ears perked, wondering at the meaning of the foreign word. Massë, she repeated in her head, massë, massë, massë; it was an alien sound, but gentle. It was repeated, with the same innocent melancholy only a child could harness. Huyana tilted her head lightly, biding her time as distant steps grew near, and they were as quiet as the voice, creeping through the forest with youthful uncertainty. She remembered a time when life seemed as a tidal wave she could not escape; everything washed upon her like a deluge, and there was no driftwood to cling to, no branches to grasp at. Drowned is what it seemed like, what she was, but just as beauty fades and youth washes away, she was pulled up from the water and laid down, sputtering and drenched, but alive nevertheless.
She saw the peek of pearly horn rush through the darkness, the glint of doelike eyes. It was not a child, but not yet a man, body still soft and tender from the summertime of childhood. Brows kneaded together with worry. "Wait!" she called out, voice gentle and low as not to startle him and send him away. The tip of her tail flicked, brushing against her hocks. Huyana wondered if he would understand her. She moved towards him, a wreath of moonlight crowning her; she almost seemed like a forest nymph, with her quiet ease of movement, but when the soft light fell upon her face, it lit her eyes in gentle blue - colors of rain, of seas, of oceans - she was no earthen entity, but one bound reverently to the water. "Are you lost?"
--

i'm always in this twilight, in the shadow of your heart,

wanda
Above him the moon is a crude, thin scar, carved into soft black flesh. The darkness crawls over his skin like a thousand spiders, the urge to scream and unleash the fears swarming in his chest curdling in his throat, more persistent and strong by each dreadfully, painfully slow moment. Alone! There is panic surging, electric in his blood, sending him stumbling in a tizzy forward, gaiety disappeared, grace lost to terror, cleft hooves scrambling wildly. Help me! He wants to screech, shrieking for help. Alone, alone, alone! Where are they? Where are his people, his family, the ruins of the council staring down at him? Abandoned, cast out, no shelter to save his rotting pelt for the cold rain. No mother to warm him, no father to teach him.

Out on his own.

Words, little known to him, tumble across the darkness, fleeting as a ray of sun in the clouds, hardly more than the smallest of comforts. Carnesîr halts, his earthen eyes seeking out the angel surrounded by demons, finding the most beautiful girl he has set eyes on. Graceful and lithe as Them, as His People, with cleft hooves and gorgeous eyes filled with quiet worry, a tail long and plume full. Blue as the silver rain-clouds, with a mane of black. Then he tumbles head over heels into the vast abyss, filled with an emotion that lightens his heart. Hope; hope that she was also once a native, that she knows, understands, and then the chilled feeling of ease I replaced by fear that itches at his skin. Does she know the story? "Mi van me?" He queries, a lilting touch to his voice that bespeaks of a question, shoving away the thick thoughts that stick to his mind.

Fidgets, then stills. More foreign words fall, a concoction of jumbled vowels and adjectives, then the words have smashed on the ground, shattering at his feet. "Pedig edhellen?" He tries one last time.

His black hoof scrapes across the cold earth glumly, and then he lifts his eyes, trying to remember the meanings and translations he learned briefly living on the fringes of the S'eva cities. "Am where I?" The grullo attempts, fumbling blindly, the meaning not always clear for the improper grammar. "Lost am I; you help I? Need... shelter rain from. Home."

Something twists his lips, tugging them downwards, and his chest quivers.

"Outgrew home I."

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

He paused, and his eyes groped for her in the darkness.

Pretty dark eyes found her - he rushed towards her on cloven hooves. She watched him serenely, glad he did not balk and run away. Mi van me?; more foreign words - this time spoken with so much hope. Huyana shakes her head gently, helplessly, wondering if she could help him anyway without knowing his tongue. The grullo squirmed before her, before quieting down. Pedig edhellen?. Blue eyes widen, and she blinked apprehensively, aching to know the meaning of such beautiful words. They were like the rustle of leaves on summer's eve, the quiet trickle of a babbling brook - so graceful, lilting over the moonlight and into her ears like music - but still she shakes her head impossibly.
He caught on to her deficiency; am where I?, the colt wondered. This, she knew - he was most definitely lost. Huyana let a thin smile thread through her lips, lingering about her eyes. "Helovia," she answered, land of the hiding sun. He continued. Lost am I; you help I? , the words were clumsy and unpracticed, but she understood him well enough - she nodded.
Something changes in his face; his lips twist into the picture of sorrow, and something broke in her heart for him. The words fell upon her destitutely, concern capering across her expression. She moved forward quietly, extending her nose to touch any part of him, to comfort him. Huyana knew this feeling all too well, and it showed in her eyes, on the gentleness of this gesture. "I have too," the rainchild admitted, tilting her head softly to gaze into his eyes. "But there are always so many other new homes you could choose, so many new futures—" she paused, worrying that he may not understand her. Regardless, she pushed on. "There is hope." Huyana meant these words; she remembered all her dark times - she had survived drowning, always had a chance to flounder out of the water; she prayed that he'd find it as well.
The roan drew back, already charting the northern path toward the Basin - she hoped he didn't mind the snow. "If you wish for a home, come with me," she told him softly, aching for his tender youth. After a brief pause, the sterling roan continued. "My name is Huyana."

--

i'm always in this twilight, in the shadow of your heart,

wanda
The choices are few.

Souring his mouth is the taste of dismay, lovely dreams snatched away from him, leaving him lost and alone. He feels churlish, awkward and brittle, a crumpled, dead something that is far from where is belonged, pecked at by stubborn scavengers and attacked by the unknown, killed by deserting hopes. There is no sense of time encompassing him, nothing that whispers the clock is ticking, ticking, ticking, the seconds flying by faster and faster, that the minutes are trickling through his hooves. Perhaps what makes him confusing it the utter of lack of coherent sense to him; he is all collections of clashing thoughts and memories that roar like a tsunami against the present, until the future weaves with present and threads with the past.

The wind swirls, snagging on his mane, whispering that a choice is to be made.

All that he sees and taste is death, encroaching on his boundaries.

Take me home! He doesn't want any promise of safety and vague futures. What he craves is the rumbles of Galathil's voice, Lólindir's voice that whispers like the falling autumn leaves. Homesick, isn't that the word?

But it doesn't quite explain the pain wrenching his gut, twisting a knife into his heart, until something is rising in his throat, thick yellow bile that chokes him until he might just fall, pass out on the cold frozen earth. Everything is overwhelmingly unfamiliar; every mistake a disaster, a hurricane sweeping through his precariously built straw huts, the strands of yellow grass flying, lonely, through the deep gray clouds. He wished he stayed at home, even if by some warped sense of wrong loyalty, that he had not fled like a coward, a dog cowed with it's tail beneath its legs. Yellow-bellied liar, slimy oddball. I couldn't stay. They were pushing me away!

But he could have.

"Helovia," he sighs, turning the word into a deserted shelter of loneliness, a place for last chances. His eyes are turning wet, though he drives it away desperately. Then her breath is warm- and sweet- the scent of wet grass- hot on his cheek- and all his fears are vanquished by his beautiful angel, a savior, for just a moment. Her muzzle is soft and tickles him, and for a moment his lips quirk flippantly, nerves making him twitch away at her touch.

Her eyes are meeting his, and he glances downwards, wanting to hide his damp eyes.

"Hope..." Carnesîr murmurs. "I will come, elerrina." He uses the word quietly, knowing she will not understand it.

"I am Carnesîr."