the Rift

the show goes on. [open]

Hemlock Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Fortune had brought her this far, it could carry her on its weary back a little longer. Hemlock was in no mood for her luck to run out at this point, near emotional breakdown and blind with panic. Yes, that's right, the ever-composed Hemlock is losing her nerves to the world, her usually airy gait weary and stumbling, like a lowly creature of the earth. She is one of these lowly creatures, but she would never have known it, with how she preened. She was a swan in her own eyes, but a black swan nonetheless.

Hemlock had hard feet, and for that she was thankful now as she tripped over another large, jagged rock, and stopped to examine her black hoof, inspecting for any damage as her tail lashed over sleek flanks. Irritated.

The next time she lost her balance, fortune washed its hands of the mare and continued on its way, and she rose to biting pain in her left knee. The warm trickle of blood down her leg panicked her even more, and she dawdled for several seconds, heaving. A lack of sleep-deprivation and terror at the sight of her own blood did nothing for her already compromised mind, and the smell of nearby water was the only thing that kept her on her feet.

It was funny, Hemlock mused as she watched a ribbon of red wash down the creek's flow from her leg, how things changed so quickly. Once a valued member of her herd, now chastened and pursued mercilessly until she no longer recognized her surroundings, all because her father was no longer around to protect her. She had been blind to the inner-workings of the hierarchy, and she still did not fully understand them, but she understood enough, as the lamb understands the teeth of the wolf, but not why.

Black hide twitching in the night, she lowered her head to first nose at the cool, babbling water, then parted her lips to drink, white-splotched nose wrinkling.

let me be your ruler
you can call me queen bee

Skywalker Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Skywalker has always preferred the night and its ample secrets; in the gloom that clings so readily to his black skin, his ulterior motives are allowed to thrive and fester, shaping and reshaping in the most disturbing of ways. The thin, black stallion is fiercely ambitious and that ambition keeps him occupied – why else would he linger in that godforsaken marsh that reeks of rot and lunacy? Amongst his newfound peers he disregards that his own sanity could well be questioned and he does not think that his obsessive-compulsive tendencies are remotely unsound. He is terrible and proud: these traits of character making an honest appraisal of his faults impossible. So, he has moved out of the pestilent silence in the spectral marsh, and traversed all the way back to the threshold under the pretext that he cannot keep in the company of the insane. Why, he wonders, do they take such terrible pride in being dysfunctional?

The night also offers him the luxury of watching without being seen: a convenience made easier by his tar-black skin and the strange constancy of night that holds Helovia clenched in an iron fist. A gathering of shadows and trees on the westernmost border of the threshold harbors him and he is thankful for the vantage point as it gives him the opportunity of choosing his company. Something, he has learned, not too common in these overcrowded lands. From where he stands he watches her stumble across the treacherous lips of the borderlands, his face is clad in a blur of mild disinterest and ugly curiosity. If you know Skywalker, it is not hard to say from which part of him the two, conflicting attitudes sprout. Bolted hard against arrogance and indifference, disinterest is the most prominent and frequent expression to surface on his hard face, but his obsession on the other hand – that feverish ambition that goads him in his every endeavor – cultivates a morsel of interest in his chest. Keenly he watches her stumble towards the water, slightly amused by her stumbling weariness.

And then he detaches himself from the shadows, his blue eyes fixed on her as she lowers her head to the cool water, his movements are slow and easy but his stride is no less in the length of a wanderer. It does not take him long to stand at the other side of the stream, coming to a halt in such proximity that, if there had been any sun, his shadow would fall into the water by her muzzle, warped and distorted by it’s quick run.

“Are you lost,” he asks and steps into the water, the numbing sensation washing against his forelegs, “or just dying of thirst?”

S K Y W A L K E R.

Hemlock

Unregistered

Ulterior motives. Funny things, those. Hemlock doesn't really grasp the concept of them, but if she did, she wouldn't have any; in fact, she would probably dislike them. Despise, even.

Hemlock doesn't have a whole log going on upstairs, never has, so she might begrudge someone keen enough, sharp enough, to twist the minds of others like that, as the dull lambs begrudge the wolves. And this poor mare is such a dull little lamb.

She heard him coming, and reminded herself not to give him the impression -- or the satisfaction --that he had startled her, schooling her face into a neutral expression as a black leg disturbed the water before her, the ripples of which were quickly washed away by the current. A carefully-controlled lift of her narrow head, and she was staring at the stallion.

He could have been her twin.

No, Hemlock scolded herself mildly, his head was far too grotesquely-shaped, his eyes an ugly, livid shade of blue to her warm gold. And that nose. Horrendous. Their forms mirrored each other to near perfection, hwever, black and sleek, like asps, long of rib and limb. His neck, she appraised with some grudging appreciation, was not as high set as hers, but it was an attractive black arch, crowning between his narrow shoulders. He might have been good-looking, if not for that awful head of his.

"I've travelled a while, I'll grant, so I would assume I am lost." She hummed, voice as dry as bones, but collected. It was important to present oneself cooly, after all. Even if her heart was beating against her ribcage frantically. She wasn't sure what to do in this strange place, with this strange horse who was her ugly twin, and anxiety ran rampant through her. Outwardly, she was as cold as death, and as still as, as she stood, regarding the black stallion.

Hemlock felt the words bubbling at the back of her throat, threatening to break her image of calm composure, but she was helpless to stop them:

"You know, if you had some white on your nose, maybe it wouldn't look so awful." She blurted the thought, her tail moving twitching slightly against her hocks. She didn't have the presence of mind to look apologetic.

Surreptitiously, she glanced down at her injured leg, noting with approval that it was no longer bleeding. She hated blood.

It was just so unsightly.

let me be your ruler

Unregistered

Skywalker does not listen; her answer runs off him like water and he is too preoccupied, greedily letting his eyes wander over her. His eyes, while eerily blue in true light, seem grey like falling rain as they slip over her from shoulder to hip; the semblance is uncanny, disturbing even. And he dotes on it all the more. The lines and angles of her body gather themselves up like whispers, incoherent on their own but when they amass into a single shape they become a sleepy lullaby, a low, singsong voice in the dark. Something tells him that he wants this delicate little thing that has so graciously presented itself to him, this subtle perfection that is so close to his, had it not been for the hard, ugly shape of his nose. He dips his muzzle into the water and helps himself to a long drink, but the water does not quench this thirst and he looks up again, unsatisfied. As always.

She does not seem unsettled by him and he finds the realization strangely welcome; usually he relishes in the fact that he is fearsome and awe-inspiring, but not tonight. Tonight he wants the company of this mare and her cool composure, tonight he relishes in glancing at a greatly improved mirror image of himself. Skywalker wonders how she feels, or rather how it feels to run his muzzle down that unforgiving but somehow unflawed slope of her shoulder. His lip brushes against his chest when he tucks his nose in, feigning mortification as she remarks at his appearance; the succession of dry, moderate laughter reveals his ploy, however. Skywalker is well aware of his uncomely face – he has, after all lived with it for some years now. But his complete disregard for his visual shortcomings has tended to, after a while, make him curiously appealing. However unlikely that might seem at first glance. Contrasts, someone called it, and he has never been one to object. Where someone else might have cringed at the uncouth nature of her consideration, the stallion finds himself entirely comfortable. Not too surprising, perhaps, given his aloof nature.

“Perhaps,” his face is upturned again and he tilts his head slightly, as if to give her a better look, “but I’ve a hard time finding something that sticks; the snow keeps melting.” He proceeds to shake his head, making his long neck seem all the more snakelike and treacherous, “so I make due with what I’ve got and, strangely enough, I do get by. Better than you might expect.”

A pause coupling with a sly smile; silence, and then:

“Granted, you don’t look awful, but you lack character. How absolutely devastating that must feel.”

S K Y W A L K E R.

Hemlock

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei
THE SHOW GOES ON

your masks do not fool me

This place had become like a second home to the mare. Back and forth, back and forth, desperate to bring in new members for her small family. More often than not, she failed. Artemis was somewhat lacking in charm or charisma, and struggled to portray the happy, peppy mare so often preferred in this dismal land or perpetual darkness. Yet how could she stay bright and airy, when she missed the sun and her mother and her home in the great snows of the North? She sighed, tugging through draping vines that tangled her mane and slung haphazardly in her path. She muttered insults under her breath directed toward the foliage. The vines seemed only to thicken with her words and, angered by not only the greenery but filled with frustration to the betrayal that had recently occurred in her home, she slashed at the vines with her horn.

Betrayal. It was a harsh word, and not exactly true, yet Artemis did feel that it had been the case. She shed innocent blood, fel like she had to for her family, yet after a defeat they abandoned ship. Maybe she was being harsh. If anything, she should be glad. Apollo would not ask her to fight those who could not defend themselves. Apollo was kind.

She sighed as she cut through at last, powering onward as sticky mud slurped under heel. Her ears pricked, trying to relinquish her mind to the silence and to ignore the thought that plagued her mind. As it was, she heard not silence, but voices. Curious, she tilted her head and slowed her steps, moving through the blackness like a ghost - a bulky, large ghost. As quietly as a mare her size could, she emerged from the shadows and quietly eyed the pair of dark pelted horses. Where they related, or simply friends? By the way the stallion mocked the other she figured he was either a jerk brother, or an even more awful stranger. She cleared her throat. "It is unbecoming to mock a lady, sir." She said quietly, silvery teal eyes flashing through the dark, her face marked with a crimson tear stained marking. She smiled toward the lady, bowing her head slightly to the pair.

"Speech goes here"
Credits

[Image: 258b4tv.jpg]

Harmony Posts: 137
Deceased
Filly :: Equine :: 16.4 HH :: 5 § Frostfall
Wild.

Harmony

Lavender, soothes, and calms. You must remember this, for here is an important passageway.
I nodded, my painted dome catching the moonlight, reflecting it off of my stark whit spots. I smiled, giving Mothera my silent thanks as I passed by the beautiful flowers. I was beginning to get over the color, yes. The ugly color some call purple. I was at the start... The start of the end. An end to who I used to be. I am now free of these burdens. Free of what I used to be. I am now a autocrat. Not on over living beings, no. But one over myself. He has now left me, but not fully. He now guides my hooves as he treks along side of me, him on my right, Mothera on my left. They now get along fine, no longer bickering over small things. I tend to keep them in check, for now I must rule over them, as they ruled over me. For once, I am happy. Joyous... I have Antheia back, I have fallen for Apache. But things are still doubtful, Raven reminds me.

My painted bodice weaves around slim trunks, my frame working in harmony with the land. I know this region well, for I spend much of my time here. It seemed that is was more of a silent battleground, rather than an area of welcome. We all flocked to newly arriving beings. Begging them to come to our homes with us. But, I don't believe in the ways of others. Why not make friends? Not push them into a awkward situation, demanding that they must return with you. A slight sigh escaping my kissers, I cam to a halt. Lifting my maw to the heavens, I searched for any scent. And, boy, did I come across some. A slight smile was formed, sorrel ribbons twisting and pulling the tips of them. There was three, yes. Three of them. One I recognized, the others I didn't. Locating the area in which I hoped they where, about 15 horse lengths to the right of me, I turn that-a-way. Directing my focus on their words, I picked out a small, harsh argument between... Who was that? I know that scent... Concentrating, I closed my curtains, shutting away the world for a brief moment, only to let them fly open as I put together the pieces. It was Skywalker. The one I had met not long ago, right here, in this region. Heaving a large sigh, I jogged forward, not hesitating to show myself to the trio. A polite smile displayed on my sorrel kissers, I dipped my dome to each of them before speaking.

" Greetings, travelers. I am Harmony, of the Assassins. Nice to cross paths with you once again, Skywalker..."

The life ahead can only be glorious if you
learn to live in total harmony with the Lord..

Unregistered

Like a mantis, Hemlock stands, and the two strangers regard each other amidst their banter, sizing each other up, thinking of words to say. Meaningless conversation, really. What could possibly come of this? What future could these two nightshade apparitions have with each other, besides the stallion taunting the mare, and the mare too dull to understand it? Things Hemlock should be considering, but isn't.

Humor. That's another one of those things she doesn't quite grasp.

Head lifting slightly, the mare's ears tilt back, and she stares at him in the epitome of deadpan, delicate nostrils bowing as she lets out a long-suffering breath.

And then that word comes, 'lacking', and Hemlock understands that she is missing something in the eyes of this stranger, but she has no idea what 'character' means. Head rearing back even more, she tensed, breath leaving her a little more forcefully as her sleek sides contracted over ribs, belly heaving upward in what became a snort. That Hemlock was lacking disturbed her, though she may not know just what she lacked. The brainless do not know they lack brains.

The sound of heavy steps reached her ears, and she suddenly felt at quite a disadvantage standing in the creek, so she bunched, and hopped, long legs carrying her easily over the shallow bank to dry land. The thin, black tail twitched upward against her flanks as Hemlock watched the large mare stop and address the stallion, and at the mood changes instantly. She came to understand that she had been mocked -- though whether to believe the words of a new stranger, vs. one she had spoken to for five minutes, she didn't know --, and flattened her ears against her neck, and the black stallion received a poisonous glare for his efforts.

She wasn't a spoil-sport, however, and her irritation soon passed in favor of curiosity.

Scraped knee beginning to sting now, she stepped forward and regarded the grey newcomer. A few moments later, and she was thoroughly cowed from making any sort of comment about this poor creature's appearance, as she might have, had the mare been any smaller, and less capable of thrusting that horn between her ribs. Her self-preservation instincts were what had kept Hemlock alive this long, and nothing else.

She interrupted whatever conversation might have been about to occur between the two:

"Hemlock. Who are you? And who," here, she turned her head to give a sour look at the stallion, "are you?" No need to drag out introductions; if every unsightly critter in the place was going to somehow find her this evening, she might as well know their names.

let me be your ruler

Unregistered

It seems that no matter how hard one might try, finding yourself alone in the threshold is simply an impossibility; he has not revisited these borderlands since his first arrival to Helovia and now he realizes, annoyed, what a terrible and overcrowded place it is. The irritation lingers, he lifts his head and whips his thin tail against his hocks: fluid but somehow exaggerated movement. A fluent display of dissatisfaction. As the pale unicorn (has he ever been this close to one of those wretched things? He wonders at the question for a moment and then reminds himself of the glass-horned Seele, the antlered Argona) slips from the velveteen cloak of perpetual darkness (much too close for him) and announces her coming by chastising him, he does not instantly reply. In fact, he takes a long moment before even considering her, unwilling to look at anything else at this nocturnal flower, petaled with something he will soon discover and identify as stupidity. All the better: Skywalker has never really liked mares who insist on thinking for themselves.

Slowly, he turns his head towards Artemis; staring coolly at their newfangled, unwelcome company. He has not seen her before but is careful to make a mental note of her, to remember that spiraling horn and the quaint, bloodlike marking in her face. You see; constantly plagued by his ostentatiousness, the black stallion has some minor difficulties with being chastised by those he does not consider his superiors. Couple that with a ferocious vindictiveness driving him steadily towards the cusps of insanity and it is evident that he is unlikely to let such liberties go by unpunished. What she is predisposed to think of him, and for what reasons, he is unmindful of – it bears little relevance in the dark, self-indulgent corners of his mind. The simple fact that she dares address him in a chiding manner, however, is a fact that he simply cannot suffer. He registers the mass and probable power that simpers in her shoulders, makes a quick evaluation of the situation and finally decides that the mare, however audacious the slight might be, will have to wait. He is – after all – here on the behalf of the Asylum. “And why exactly is that,” he asks, careful to maintain a certain levelness in his voice, not lacing it with the threat another situation might have called for.

His attention is soon to return to Hemlock as she interrupts and the sharpness of her voice serves to dull the ardor of his own exasperation. An ear flicks in her direction and he remains as unmoved by her poisonous glares as her remark on his appearance. Ask him and he is likely to name his greatest strength to be the innate and complete disregard for anyone but himself. He wants to remedy himself, shake the nightmares and the constant humming of ambition out of his head; too much time spent with the loonies, he thinks and knows that the best way to make amends are probably the simple urges of intimacy. Thus far, his black sister is the best thing he has come across – he glances at the monolithic wraith, warrior-like and statuesque. Skywalker is curious at her answer because he truly does not understand why he should treat these mares any different than he would anyone else; surely, she must understand that in a world of horns and wings and magic, gender is one of the least relevant issues to concern oneself with.

And then, another interruption: of course. Skywalker shifts his weight and cooks a hoof, he is as visibly annoyed as Hemlock, by now, and the state of irritation only intensifies when he recognizes the last part of their quartet. Harmony. There is something about her – this realization is a sullen and cantankerous one – that leaves a bad taste in his mouth and a blazing fever on his forehead. Can’t stand her, isn’t the right term but it is the first thing to come to his mind. He purses his lips, the smile gone, and he faintly remembers her skin under his lips. Disgusting. “Harmony,” he repeats mechanically, unsure if it is even worth to acknowledge the mare.

“She keeps my introductions, it seems,” he glances back at Hemlock and gestures, unceremoniously, towards the straggler, “now, since you’ve travelled for some time, don’t think of me as anything else than someone who is going to take you from this godforsaken place and offer you a home.”

S K Y W A L K E R.

Artemis Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Sei
THE SHOW GOES ON

your masks do not fool me

Her eyes lingered upon the male. His pelt, as black as the night that lingered around them, seemed almost ghostly in the low light. His eyes were clear as day and seemed to stare into her, burning holes into her skin with every slight glance. She instantly felt dislike for the stranger, a feeling that Artemis, neutral as she was, rarely felt unless it was warranted. Say what you will about the pale mares sense of foreboding and intuition, but she felt that this time there was truth behind her instant weariness of the male.

The pretty ebony female did naught to respond to Artemis' comment, however she wasn't sure if she expected one. What did she expect, however, was the males words. His appearance alone put her on edge; with his crooked nose that, in the low light, gave him the appearance of having an eternal sneer (she put this down to a trick of the light, she was prone to seeing things that were not truly there in the darkness) yet his words simply set her decision down in stone. He had no regard for others, she decided, and he was sexist to boot. From a mare who came from a wild land were females were often trophies, this irked her. Her tail twitched, her her face remained as stoic as usual. She made no attempt to show her irritation, instead locking eyes with the stranger.

To Artemis, locking eyes was a sign of dominance and intimidation. much like locking eyes with a wolf, to her people eye contact was reserved for those they looked down upon. In this instance, she refused to pull her gaze eyes from his, her steely grey eyes determined to have her silent victory. She knew it was not the case in these lands, were eye contact was something shared among many, yet it was her personal way of telling the stallion, even if he did not realize it, that she was fucking pissed. "You can spit on a rose, but it is still a rose. Mockery does not make you a big man, it makes you a fool, and neither will it decrease her self worth. Gender should not be an excuse to put someone down. Do you think mares cannot fight, too, my lord?" She stated calmly, her tone as stoic as ever, though the last few words dripped with sarcasm. She smiled as Harmony entered. She would have given the painted mare some indication of acknowledgment, yet she was too busy with the fool before her.

She regarded him carefully, eyes still upon his, as a smirk twitched upon her lips. He offered the mare 'home', but she knew he did not mean they would be equals, as she would be elsewhere. "The spirit of arrogance most definitely makes you shine. It paints a bright red target on your own forehead. Be wise, sir knight, or you will not last long in these lands." She told the stallion as he seemed adamant that the mare would go with him. She lowered her horn slightly, letting the starlight glint from the ivory curve before she glanced toward the slim, homeless creature. "Forgive me, milady, my name is Artemis. If it would please you, I offer you sanctuary with me in my herd lands, the Windtossed Foothills." She glanced toward Harmony and smiled to the familiar face.

"Speech goes here"
Credits

Unregistered

“A rose is a rose is a rose,” he declares evenly and holds her gaze as bravely as she holds his. Skywalker is not surprised; he remains unmoving while the creek rushes frivolously into an eager accompaniment to his voice. The stallion rarely bubbles with laughter, as the brook is prone to do, and the stark contrast it galvanizes on his voice is teeming with effect. Naturally, this pale mare should disregard her short shadow of influence and take it upon herself to rant on, granting him her meaningless opinion and thusly bolting herself against the plight of stupidity. Unblinking, the black shadow sighs into the still night that begins to break into a rare predawn glow; it is not the first time he comes across someone like her, and sadly it is unlikely to be the last. The rashness and thoughtlessness with which she presents her argument is something he has seen before. Had she restrained herself for only a morsel of time, harnessing her words, turning them over in her mouth, perhaps they would not have betrayed her in such a blatant way, and her stoic expression would have remained plausible, unbroken.

But alas! A mare is a mare is a mare and he does not need to speak to prove his point, but does so nonetheless; the sun rises slowly on the horizon and he ventures out into the light to quench an overwhelming thirst: superiority. “You make me curious, Artemis. You make me curious because you so boldly assume that I intend to demean her. You make me curious because it seems that your perception of mockery and its uses seem so terribly narrow. Surely, you cannot possibly be so daft?” He leaves the question hanging between them for a little while, hoping its suspension in the pale morning light will be enough for her to think it over. He ignores the itching feeling that he is likely talking over her head – she has not exactly presented herself as the most insightful of creatures. “You fight as well as I do, I’m sure. And that is precisely the reason why I ask you why I am at fault for mocking a lady. I see no difference in the attributes of gender and it would be most illogical if I were to treat you any different on the basis of it. Don’t be so hasty in your judgments, lest you’d want your company to think that they stem from your prejudices.”

By now, his amusement has reared its ugly head and he portrays it with a broken smile: he is a terrible thing, this black wraith that does not break her stare. He knows that he has already broken her; the question is if she will admit it? “My arrogance, it seems, is well grounded. Still, I will be kind enough to advise you not to make idle threats – it’s so unbecoming.

S K Y W A L K E R.