the Rift

New life. [Rishima/hatching]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Your egg begins to quiver. Shaking back and forth, back and forth. Your eyes widen in surprise as you slow to a halt, lowering the egg to the ground to watch it. The wiggling egg moves around in the soft grass, and then claws suddenly pop through the shell. Next a beak pokes through, and cracks rain down the sides of the small chamber. After wrestling with the shell for a few minutes, a white griffon stumbles forth into the air, looking immediately toward your face with soft eyes. And then, a screech fills the air.

Your griffon is hungry.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

The initial stirring against my breast took me by surprise, and for a moment I stood confused, wondering what under the moon could be going on. Then like a ton of bricks the gravity of the situation hit me, followed swiftly by a flurry of excitement and anxiety. Gingerly I lowered the basket I wore to the earth, watching entranced as the movement of the egg flung it from its little nest. Hair-width cracks settled upon the fragile shell; my ears stood forward and alert as a claw emerged, then another, and finally a beak punctured through and the shell collapsed and there lay the creature that would hold my heart forever.

She rose into the air, pale white with accents of dark, and she was beautiful.

Then she shrieked, a brilliant eruption of noise, staggeringly loud for one so small.

Thank goodness I had hunted. Thank goodness for Merakerr. "Come, little Kali," I call to her, laughing. "Let's find you some food, shall we?" Not letting my eyes leave her, I stepped away. The tree where I had stored her food lay mere paces from me; in no time, I had reached it, grabbed the doe from the pile, and laid it down where Kali might easily catch its smell, hoping that this was right.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Her eyes lock onto you, watching you curiously. Your calm voice inspires her to trust you, have confidence that you mean well. Her body walks, rather clumsily, after you on small paws. At the scent of the doe, though, she begins to run, a fumble of limbs, onto the pile of bodies.

Her feast begins, but your bond is sealed.

Congratulations, you are now free to play Kali!

Merakerr Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher
Mare :: Other :: 3 ft :: 6
Kachie
It had been her habit to occasionally shadow the dark mare and her unhatched charge, and it was one such occasion now. Ear tufts twitched to hear the young voice screech in demand of food, and the young gryphon landed quietly near the cache of meat to watch mare and hatchling bond over food. She was an unobtrusive as possible at first, loathe to disturb the bond that was meant to be forged between Rishima and the tiny griffon.

"Kali isss a good name." She murmured conversationally as she watched the youngster greedily devouring the carcass of the doe she'd taken down for just this purpose not so very long ago. It surprised her, somewhat, to see that this child was even paler in coloration than she was. White instead of silver, edged in dark tones instead of grey markings. But unmistakably a red-blooded eater, judging by the appetite.

"Ssshe is ssstrrong, intelligent. While ssshe will alwaysss be sssmallerr than I, ssshe will grrow up ssstrrong." Decisively she nodded, then turned to regard Rishima with a beaky grin. It was no fault of the child that she was of small lines.

Asur Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The scream cuts like a knife.

He shivers at the touch. His head rakes skyward, senses thrust out toward whatever hellish creature claims his ears, but only the pale sun and the blue of heaven answer him. The murmur of the wind rocks in his ears. The shadow of a hunting hawk paints black across the ground, and later the shriek of a rabbit tells him death has won this day - but it was not a rabbit earlier.

He moves.

White limbs churn beneath his supple body, a picture of far better health today than he has painted in days past. His face hurts a little less, though jagged scar tissue has moved in to replace the cloying sickness of infected scabs, and it all promises to leave him ugly. Weathered, Asur thinks with a touch of dark amusement. You look a soldier now. His brothers would be proud, he thinks, despite the circumstances of the wound. He has escaped hell with his mind and spirit intact. He will make the most of both.

Asur moves with the confident grace of inborn power, though his nostrils flare as the thin taste of blood wends on the wind. Slowly the stallion's long neck stretches up, and toes scuff across the dry husks of old summer grass. The blood comes after that scream, he thinks. He will investigate, he thinks. He owes the Foothills herd that much - that blood will be repaid in blood when the time comes to it. With a snort he moves into a trot, his braided mane slapping its cadence against a muscular shoulder. The familiar rhythm works its way into his veins and soon the noise of voices joins the scent of blood, and Asur slows to listen - recognizing one.

No sooner has recognition passed his mind than the familiar tone fades and another speaker takes his ears, one strange and feral and distorted. With another snort, the stallion breaks upon them - gleaming copper, white-eyed, large. His tail slashes the air behind him and his eyes dive for the gryphon - gryphons - gathered near Rishima. For an instant reason falters; instinct screams of beaks and claws but observation says the mare is calm, the largest gryphon clean of blood and standing well at ease. His mind reels, stomach roils. Asur's haunches tense, and two feet taller than his true height, the stallion moves forward on careful toes. "What?" The gravel of the stallion's voice grinds out, too loud, and his lips wrinkle back in obvious disgust. "Rishima?" Sidestepping, he clears near the mare and glances from her to the little gryphon, back to her and then to the large one, ever careful to keep his right side toward the predators.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
A colourful, melodic and draconic song filled the air. It spoke of many things this day. Today, it sung with joy, for new life was being introduced to the world, life that would be loved and treasured, life that would grow and prosper, that would fly the skies with the golden beast that sings this song. Akaith is vocal, and enthusiastic in her welcoming of this life, her strong, athletic form making great loops in the air above them all now, her broad wings casting strange, yellow tinged shadows upon the loam below. She greeted those she knew with sheer happiness, and was in a good enough mood to share her joyous serenades with the stallion, who looked the image of Voraer to her. She didn't dive low, but instead coloured the skies with her dances, cheering on the happenings below with reckless abandon.

Below her, as always, wandered a shimmering shadow of a creature. A smile did curve her lips, the reasons behind it were as many as the reasons for Akaith to sing. For before her she saw many a things potentially unfolding. A new life, which was reason enough to host a smile upon her face. A new friend, in the form of the adult gryphon who had offered herself and her sister aid at a time when she certainly could have simply taken advantage of the mares in such a vulnerable pose. And another… a stallion who pulled on the memories of their aflamed father, whose pelt was stained the same deep red chestnut, and legs adorned with the similar stains of alabaster. The perceptive little mare watched acutely how he worried, how unfamiliar he was with the happenings of bonding with a creature freshly born of magic, and how a predator could stand by and behave much like another equine.

And Rishima mocks me for making friendships with those of similar nature. Though there was no direct response from Akaith, amusement did bubble up from a source not entirely within the mare. From her standpoint, she could see the scars lining the stallion's face, the weakness in sight and senses it undoubtedly caused him, but there was little she could do to prevent surprise at her appearance being a reaction the stallion gives. Her footfalls are not silent, and neither is her magic completely shielding her bodice from view; rather if one happens to glance in her direction, they might glimpse an outline of a mare, a blurred, almost there image. Most write it off as a trick of the light. Some knew better than that.

"My congratulations, little moonbeam." Sweet, harmonic tones drip from a mouth that materialises before them, standing closer to none in particular, but rather by herself. Graceful motion inclines her tiara at the end of a proudly crested nape, her visage hosting the happy smile that lingered even after the veil was dropped, her eyes sparkling with warmth and something more; amusement, as she made a curious, pointed glance at her sister, and the stallion whose company she had apparently earned. Akaith's flight path brought the gold to her bonded's back then, the dragon clearly jubilant with her energetic motions. Mirage had always hoped her sister would bond, and previously, when she only knew of the mystical magic that bonded a dragon and equine, she assumed that in time, Rishima would come across a suitable draconic companion.

As it would seem, however, her soul was reserved for this beautiful creature, and Mirage could see the happiness, the realisation of the bond, the seal that connects the souls together. Though it intensifies over time, to lesson the shock of it all perhaps, she could remember the initial touches of Akaith's soul burning brightly alongside her own. Being made aware of one's own soul was probably as surprising as finding another's so closely tied to it. "Kali has chosen well." Her voiced softened, a melodic hum more than anything, as she observed the first steps her sister and Kali took, together.

As one.

Rishima</style>

There is an unexpected welling of emotion within my chest, a sudden surge of affection I have not felt since I watched Mirage rise to her feet for the first time. It is something protective and proud, excited and pure, and it only intensifies as I watch Kali stumble towards her first meal. Somewhere deep beside my heart, a hole I did not know I had is being filled with the soul of a creature I never thought I would meet. It is odd, I muse, that I can feel such contentment in such a repulsive scene. Kali tears into the meat eagerly, sharp beak shredding the tender flesh into bite sized morsels that she gobbles down with greedy enthusiasm, splatters of blood staining her white feathers. The sight is gruesome; the stench, even more so. She is oblivious to the rest of the world, happily entrenched in the entrails of her feast, and so she does not see Merakerr's approach.

I smile at the sound of my unusual friend's voice, but I cannot tear my gaze from Kali, who I can somehow feel has gorged herself to the point of near explosion. Somehow her presence is not strange or alarming. She has been with me through the steps of this particular journey - it would be odd if she hadn't appeared, I muse, humming at Kali and watching her spin about in excited confusion. "Thank you," I reply fondly, alto voice traveling across the expanse between us, genuinely pleased that Merakerr approves of my choice in name. Kali seems to sense the praise, too, for she pauses in her feeding to turn and face us, surreptitiously preening before returning to her meal. The larger gryphon's steps are quiet in the evening air, and I wonder if my little fluffball will someday grow to be as graceful as the leopard who had helped me so in the past. At the moment, it is not looking good for Kali. "I'm sure there will be extras, if you're hungry," I offer, although I have a sense that Kali may not feel the same way.

The flash of gold draws my gaze skyward, a flickering glimmer of delight crossing my face before heavy steps pull my attention away from the distant Akaith. It is not without a certain degree of surprise that I register the familiar stroke of flame on the horizon. That Asur has come both pleases and confounds me; that he will no doubt be greatly confused by the medley of predators and blood I have surrounded myself with does not cross my mind. This new infusion of Kali is an intense surge of feeling; every emotion is intensified by her own curiosity, every breath bears the beat of two, and so as Asur approaches I watch him with a new found sense of wonder and pleasure, suddenly painfully aware of how greatly I enjoy his company. Poor boy, I can only laugh at his confusion, the distress that marks his lines as he eyes the predators through one whole eye. I wonder what he will think at the arrival of Akaith and Mirage.

As amusing as it would be to let Asur's bewilderment persist, I am in a giving mood; I take pity on the stallion, stepping towards him and breathing out comfortingly, the echo of laughter still bright in my throat. "You chose an odd time to arrive, Asur," I murmur, shooting him a vibrant grin before turning my eyes back on Kali, who is finally done eating and now sits upon her haunches, bloated and lazy. Whatever else I may have said dies on my tongue as I watch her unfurl her wings. It was strange and wonderful, the feelings of curiosity that were not mine, her own amazement at the world around her. She eyes the extra appendages curiously; they are too small to carry her, and she does not know what to make of them. Frustrated, she tries to catch one, tiny figure darting in tight circles. She does not understand why she cannot catch the things.

The blur of light wanders past, and I catch Mirage out of the corner of my eye. I know better than to pursue her, for my little illusion will reveal herself when she is ready. Reflections bounce off golden scales above; Kali is distracted from her pursuit, and looks up abruptly, screeching excitedly at the dragon. The cacophony of noise covers Mirage's decloaking; I wince against the cries even as Mirage speaks, casting a grimace at my little sister. Was Akaith ever this loud, I wonder? It seems doubtful. "Thank you, Mirage" I shoot back, even as she glances at Asur, her expression holding both curiosity and, I suspect, some glitter of amusement. This one doesn't fawn, I am tempted to drawl, but I bite my tongue and instead hope she can read it in my expression as I roll my eyes discreetly, a glimmer of a grin tugging at my lips. But I let the coy expression fall away to true pleasure as she affirms the small gryphon's decision, delighted and proud and glad that my friends are here to share this with me.

I have long since lost the ability to maintain my masks.

But Kali has grown bored with conversation; she knows that this gathering is about her, and chirps to recapture the attention of the masses. On shaky legs she fumbles towards me, pauses, and changes her course, suddenly interested in Merakerr. While she does not yet appreciate the fact that Mera is the only one who resembles her, she is nonetheless fascinated by the larger gryphon, letting out a series of soft peeping sounds that speak of her avian heritage. She is tiny compared to Mera, and yet she is unafraid in the face of the giant, stopping before the grey hybrid and casting one last glance at me before reaching out to bat at my friend's feathers, long ears perked forward curiously.

Merakerr Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher
Mare :: Other :: 3 ft :: 6
Kachie
It is both pleasant and amusing to watch Rishima be so absorbed in the new life she now had responsibility over. She vaguely remembered a similar look on her mother's face after she was hatched, and on her aunt's face when her cousin had hatched. Nothing Merakerr herself was familiar with, but she enjoyed experiencing it secondhand, nonetheless. "I apprreciate the offerr, but no. Kali will need to eat again sssoon, and you will need thisss cache until she learrns to ssstalk and pounce."

But then the thunder of hooves rolled, and a stranger came upon them. A stallion, likely alarmed by Kali's earlier cry, breaks into the clearing. He looks wild-eyed, but his gaze unerringly falls upon herself and Kali, and the young gryphon's beak parted in an avian grin of amusement as she watches him struggle to make sense of the scene that lay before him. "You arre in no dangerr frrom me, frriend of Rrissshima, and the little one isss too full to think of food, much lesss sssee one like herr bonded asss food." She left unspoken the fact that Kali would never grow big enough to be able to take him down. It would likely not be reassuring when she herself clearly was... and if he thought to wonder how the now mangled deer carcass had been taken down, things might become less than pleasant.

Soon though the scene is disturbed first by dragon-song, then excited cries by the young griffon. The silvery gryphon tucked her ear tufts back and winced against the shrill notes in the youngster's voice. She did not notice Mirage until the mare spoke, and golden eyes immediately shot toward the shadowy one with recognition and welcome.

But her attention was once again distracted when tiny Kali began to approach her, and the young gryphon lowered herself to a prone position with a low crooning purr of welcome. The white griffon at this point was sitting between her forelegs, and Merakerr curved them around the youngster before beginning to carefully and deliberately preen the youngster's feathers. The scene was something of a lioness cleaning a cub, but made stranger by the pair's dual natures. Kali's playful overtures were tolerated, even welcomed, but instinct had kicked in to demand that the elder gryphon ensure the griffon's feathers and fur were clean before sleep inevitably would catch up with the newly hatched.

Madyrn Maskan Posts: 87
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 16
Whit

As always they are not far behind their sisters, though they travel at a more leisurely pace. With shoulders brushing and steps moving in a unison cadence of crimson blurs, the brothers dance together under the dragon's song. They humm low in their throats, pleased and content with the promise this trip brings. They know that Akaith would not be so giddy, that Mirage would not be so intent, if it were not their sister that beheld this glorious day.

With a much less graceful entrance than the shimmering Mirage, Madyrn and Maskan arrive on either side of the group, having broken apart and flowed around everyone like dark water. Madyrn breezes behind the stallion of similar appearance, but less familiar attitude, of their father. Maskan edges behind Mirage, bumping her gently, and weaves past Merakerr with quiet interest. They arrive together on Rishima's side, a heart flashing for a moment then shattering as heads turn and toss and grin at the gathered.
"What a time for celebration, dear sister," Maskan purrs with a deep throated tone, rubbing his forehead affectionately across her nape.
"We had a feeling you'd be destined for this," Madyrn murmurs, happiness bright in his eyes as they dote upon her.

The brothers themselves, they take no interest in such companions. Their souls are bound enough with one another, but it pleases them to see their sisters fulfilled in a way they never could have managed.

And perhaps, in other ways, the brothers think as both their eyes shift to the stallion in attendance. He seems uncomfortable, clutching to Rishima and the shadow she casts as some degree of normalcy amongst all this strange. It makes the duo snort in obvious disregard - he's not good enough for Rishima. No one would be, but that's not the point.

Their eyes flick towards Mirage, noting the curious smile upon her maw with open disapproval.

"So, are we going to make this a true celebration?" Maskan asks with genuine interest, his head turning back to Rishima. "Yeah, let's find some fermented apples!" Madyrn laughs with a loud, boasting noise that shakes his ribs. Maskan aims a nip at his poorly mannered other half. A heart melds for a moment and then breaks again as teeth spar against lips and orange eyes glow mischievously. As fast as it happened the stallions are settled once more, both still hoping for a true party.

Of course, they knew little of the cares of raising a newborn anything, and underestimated the wakefulness of the pale gryphon now being preened by the elder one.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mood was infective, happiness rolling from one individual to the other, the new little Kali was being welcomed by the whole family, it would seem, and then some. Mirage hoped that more of the Qian might arrive here, but it would seem this occasion was more intimate than even the Qian could offer them. Nonetheless, Kali was welcomed openheartedly into the world, she would be given the most opportunities a young griffon could be offered, she would no doubt rise to be a great entity herself, just as Akaith was to Mirage. The charcoal mare did wonder, if Rishima now understood better the relationship that bonded herself to her golden one, how Mirage was so oft' caught out talking of Akaith, or thinking of Akaith, or even just admiring the golden beauty absentmindedly. Finding a soul-partner opened one's eyes, Mirage knew that Rishima would indeed understand the love and devotion that compelled her to take the actions she took now, the driving force behind her determination. Akaith was an embodiment of everything that she stood for, so her grit and resolve was more than doubly as strong. The mare nodded to herself; yes indeed, Rishima would know now.

The familiar masculine scent of the brothers brought forth a nicker from the mare, tail swishing as they passed her, hoping the silken tendrils might graze one of their umps in playful greetings. They looked at her open display of affections with disapproval, and yet she merely smiled demurely back at them, far too involved with the moment to allow her mask of indifference to show. Wryly, she thought of Merakerr's advice that day upon the ice, and wondered if the older gryphon would recognise her openness of emotions this day. Mirage had no qualms about expressing herself to those she felt worthy of receiving her emotions, it was simply natural for her to otherwise test others, see how they interpreted her words without the aid of an emotion behind them. It taught one more about who they were conversing with without any direct questions. It was something the family practised for generations.

The brother's suggestion of throwing a celebration caused a chiming laughter to bubble forth from her lips, a melodic sound as harmonic as an angel's choir. The mare pushed herself forth into an exuberant trot, circling her brothers with a playful wink, tail lashing at her hocks, whipping out to catch their own hides should she be so lucky. Akaith darted down to them, tugging at their manes and tails, encouraging the playful dance motions she knew the brothers were capable of. Bowing her tiara, the mare then ducked and swerved, changing her path to be before the crimson steed Asur, a friendly nicker springing forth from her muzzle, as she attempted to invite him in on the play. Teeth peeked out from behind inky lips as the mare passed her sister, hoping to pull upon pale tresses of mane or tail, to encourage more mirth and motion. Akaith glided to the small griffon, trilling happily, playfully nudging her into motion so that all members could get involved. Young Kali would surely grow tired soon, but the playful dance needn't last long. Soon, the regular motions of a beat entered her strides, a large circular path was being carved out by her neat hooves, and the shadow danced, happily, playfully celebrating the life they all welcomed into the lands of Helovia this day.

Rishima</style>

An angry squawk of protest is all Kali manages before being caught up in Merakerr's deft claws, although she continues to struggle and squirm in discontent, screeching at the tongue that looms above her, the hooked beak eager do delve into disheveled feathers, the impending and horrible preening that draws her away from her play. Instinctively she protests, despite how pleasant the cleaning feels, her tiny face scrunched into a petulant expression of awww, c'mon. Terrible guardian that I am, I can only laugh at her plight, teasing her gently. "You shouldn't have gotten so close if you didn't want to face the consequences," I sing, giggling at the indignant protest that she chirps in response.

It would seem that the audience of Kali's hatching was not yet fully arrived, for even as she is taken under Merakerr's unappreciated beak, the hoofbeats of new arrivals stir the air, causing me to glance away from the group and towards the edge of the clearing where Madyrn now emerges. I grin at my brother as he jaunts past Asur, his dark form graceful beside my friend's uncertainty, flicking an ear back to acknowledge the arrival of Maskan on my left.

[ in process @_@ ]
"Come, little Kali,"