the Rift

Wayward Traveller

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Ruefully she smiled to herself, leaning her face against his shoulder. He'd been afraid of harming their friendship? It was almost enough to make her giggle hysterically, in the wake of her own frantically churning thoughts. Oh Gods... she thought to herself, realizing that there was a good chance they'd both kept plenty of things silent in order to keep their friendship at a happy balance.

There was a certain quaver in his voice as he went on, one that had her shifting back in order to reach her muzzle up to trace the curve of his neck. "I'm sorry I couldn't send word to you, Aaron. Mother was terrified, certain that the shades had come again. She wouldn't let Kaiden come find you two. Said it wasn't safe for him to go..." Her breath hitched, remembering the frantic nature of Smoke's hurrying. "That it was a risk to send Zaffre, as a second line of communication with the herd." Her voice almost broke before she buried her face in his mane. "I kept waiting for the worse, that she'd break because Zaffre was gone. But I had to be strong, because of Semira. She just didn't understand, but she tried so hard to stay out of the way and be helpful, even when both our parents were in danger."

But Zaffre had returned, arrowing in out of the sky just minutes before Vikram's thunderous wingsbeats had drowned out everything else. And they'd left, not knowing if those they'd left behind would be back when, if, they returned. Kimber drew in several long, slow breaths, taking comfort in the scents of mist and sea and wood and Aaron, the warm bulk of his body and the rumble of his voice as he began again. An ear twitched at his tone. More bad?

She drew away slightly, only to gaze up at him in uncertain worry. Tell her what? The news he had to tell made her heart sink and a knot form in her throat. His sisters, gone? Dead? The fate of unknown neices or nephews lost? "Oh, Aaron... I'm so sorry. I should have insisted that we came for you all. I promised to help you with them however I could, and... and they're gone. I'm sorry." Even as she shared his sorrow, she felt a bizarre sense of wonder. He could hate her, for leaving him and his sisters to the darkness to fend for themselves. Could resent her for leaving without a word. But he still claimed to love her. Some part of her demanded she ask him why, why did he love her when her negligence had led to the loss of all three of his sisters? Another part whispered something she knew had to be true. Because that love had been his hope, that she'd come back. The last one he'd cared about, known to be safely beyond the darkness. It was almost bewildering, comprehending that fact. "I'm here now..." She whispered, still reeling with the realization.

Messages In This Thread
Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Aaron - 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-10-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Aaron - 05-10-2014, 11:40 PM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-11-2014, 12:01 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Aaron - 05-11-2014, 12:18 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Aaron - 05-11-2014, 01:01 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-11-2014, 01:30 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Aaron - 05-11-2014, 01:56 AM
RE: Wayward Traveller - by Kimber - 05-11-2014, 02:28 AM