the Rift

[PRIVATE] So This Is What Failure Tastes Like | Res

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
Resplendence was weary. It had been two seasons since the invasion and Quilyan had yet to return. Her daughter had come back into her clutches but a month or so prior, yet he was still gone. Her nights were riddled with nightmares, generally tucked up underneath Kaj's wing as she sought some kind of respite from the pain that slashed at her heart. Sometimes (though only sometimes), she could trick herself into thinking that it was Quilyan protecting her in her sleep. And, when she woke up in the morning sometimes she even swore it was Quilyan at her side. Rue was always nearby - tucked up somewhere in her hair or covered by some of Valiance's wings so as to keep her safe.

So, today (as she had been doing for the past few weeks) she searched the borders. Her body winding across the awkward confirmation of the rocks and Valiance searching from the skies. "Maybe he come today," Valiance tried to reassure her through their bond as they began their search near dawn. But... even she could tell the reassurance was hollow (as if he were going through the motions; trying to offer hope when she only felt pain). She stopped in the evening to take a gentle breath, to check on her garden, and to ensure Rue hadn't done much else to herself. Small breaks happened throughout the day, of course, as she checked on the members of the herd and tried, desperately to keep herself from thinking of the worst.

Then, as night fell, it was Valiance checking the borders. Res had started back toward her garden, but for some reason today he refused to give up. Perhaps it was because her spirits had reached an all-time low. Winter was kicking in, and it was a nasty one this time around. It would be difficult for those not in the herds to survive… No. She wouldn't think like that. It was Valiance who heard Resplendence's name on the wind and shot instinctively toward it. He spiraled down to the ground - landing elegantly on his feet (while somehow retaining the speed). There were chirps and clicks from Valiance going directly toward Quilyan before his name was screamed across the bond in joy. Making sure that her daughter was carefully tucked away and asleep she bolted toward the location Valiance had given her.

Aye, it would take this stag's death for her to give up on him. She would always believe he would come back. She would always believe he would fight for her. And, as Resplendence pulls up Valiance takes to the skies just long enough to rest upon Quilyan's haunches. "Oh Quilyan!" She starts, beginning to choke on her words as tears bubble to the surface. "You're alive! You made it back…" She clings to him, body pressing up against his without a moment's hesitation. Her muzzle buries itself into his mane, should he allow it, and she breathes in all that is his scent. "I love you, I love you, I love you…" she whispers on repeat while the tears fall.

Oh but he's home -- and so is Rue…
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Messages In This Thread
RE: So This Is What Failure Tastes Like | Res - by Resplendence - 06-15-2015, 01:04 AM