the Rift

[PRIVATE] So This Is What Failure Tastes Like | Res

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence

one day i'll be stronger than my own doubt
Somehow this mare was capable of insane things. She sparked uncertain, new things in others - pushed them to new, greater levels but she never believed it. She didn't - no, couldn't - understand that she had a good value beyond that of healing. She didn't get that others took her as a beacon, a steady rock, a place of peace regardless of how much fear she consistently showed. Yet she clung onto hope like a sailor lost at sea. She refused to let go of it, and perhaps that was the reason why she could help so many others…

Still, she clung to him, as if it were her dying breath. His wooded musk clinging to her skin as the scent of herbs mingles with all that is him. His wings enclosing her in their warmth, their softness, their protection. It was a calming moment, one that brought her heartbeat to match his steady beat (at least, while it stayed steady). He teases her, a little, for her saying that he was alive - that he had come back. But… his words hit her harder then I think anyone could have expected. Her voice gets caught in her throat as she whispers out a few nonsense syllables, attempting to form the words. Ciro said the same thing…

Her eyes squeeze shut as the next words tumble from his mouth and he says that he has failed her. It's strange, that her brain doesn't even flicker to the thoughts of their daughter. You see, a part of her had clung to the idea he didn't know their daughter had been found. But, that one hurt part didn't know if he had even been searching, or if he had just been saying it as an excuse. Her mind flickers to the idea of a mistress, for but a second, until she hears the words 'bring our daughter home'. Instantly, she feels sick - eyes completely emotionless as she buries her face farther against his neck. He says he loved her, but that he failed.

It takes her but a moment to push the hatred of herself out of her own eyes. It's not worth it. Aye, she would never think she was worthy of complete love - but she was trying to believe it, even if only to pass it onto her daughter. Her words are a little broken, though the reason behind it would probably be misinterpreted as joy rather than the war shuffling in her body. "Kaj. He… he returned Rue. She's alive… grounded and restricted to the Falls for now… He found her a few months back…"Her body shudders a little as she glances in the direction of the garden. "She's asleep, for the moment…"

And with these next words, the glow of ease and joy leaves the glitter. The clouds seem to pass over the moon, darkening where they were standing as she looks up to him with broken eyes. "Please… don't leave me again. We're all here together… I want it to stay that way…" That was all she wanted from him. Was to have him here and to be able to cry into his barrel at night if the nightmares came. To know that their daughter had a father. To know he would be there to protect her…

Then, her eyes drop to the ground as Valiance flashes a few flames across the sky to illuminate the scene. And, as one tear falls, the clouds slide past the moon and its dim light filters in once more.
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Messages In This Thread
RE: So This Is What Failure Tastes Like | Res - by Resplendence - 06-16-2015, 01:25 AM