[JUDGED] ad victoriam [vol vs aquila]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
By my verdict: VOLTERRA is the winner!

Volterra
Realism [4]
Good job taking into consideration Aquila's difference in species (including natural armor) when describing the opponent and how their fight will pan out in relation to the surroundings. Your attack and damage taking in post 1/3 was spot on. I struggled to think about how you took the damage in post 1/3 because while the descriptions at time seemed as if the wounds were heavy, you chose to downplay the blood and gore of it and up-play Volterra's aloofness here; ultimately, his emotional response (and your lack of noting that it was strange in the face of such pain) combined with Volterra focusing more on what didn't hit him badly (her teeth) versus what did (her hooves) made the high damage seem lesser and you lost some for it. Your third post I struggled with your damage description at first but after another read through it made sense and I thought your account for previous injury, attack choice and description were all very well done so it balanced.

Emotion [2.5]
Volterra's excitement is evident as soon as Aquila shows up. You are true to his character and his love of battle. I can't say that this was a 3 because it simply did not fit the qualifications for that, because as a whole this was not a very emotionally charged battle and didn't elicit strong emotions for me as a reader, but I did appreciate how consistent his responses were and in 3/3 you really ramped it up.

Prose [4.5]
Your prose was in line with Volterra's character and very well written overall. His descriptions of injury in particular were beautiful even in their gore. You had a really good use of adjectival choice for this that made it feel raw. I marked an example of this below.

3/3: "He begins to lower his almighty bulk downwards ... and roar his fury."

Readability [1.5]
Very clear and easy to understand. I appreciate how in depth you were when describing attacks so I could get a sense of exactly where Volterra was and what he was trying to do. I did not feel as though your style interfered with my understanding of the battle for the most part, but the overuse of italicization (often for words that didn't seem particularly important) did interrupt the flow for me often so it's marked here as well.

2/3: "Whether he does so for their battle prowess or for their simmering beauty, his eyes are free to roam where they please"
  • Took a few times reading over this to get what it meant and even after I did I wasn't sure I very clearly got what Volterra meant, which both interfered with the flow and your character's direct style.

2/3: Check out the second to last paragraph here for one example of your italicization and how it might get confusing. This is present throughout but in this short paragraph it's used a lot and messes you up in not just for emphasis but for companion communication, which made it unclear as to exactly what was going on. Perhaps if you plan to use italicization for emphasis so much you should consider another way to show companion interaction.

3/3: "dragon attempts to wrap his jaws around the part of Aquila's tail just below"
  • Don't you mean above?

Finally tally: 48 + (12.5*2) = 73 HP

Aquila
    Realism [4]
    Good job taking into account the surroundings and how that related to Aquila's experiences fighting underwater. I struggled to understand the first attack some in terms of how she moved. Your damage in 1/3 was spot on--for any other opponent taking both a bruise and off-balancing might have been too much, but you carefully took into account Volterra's high damage stat here and it showed. At first I saw your attack in 3/3 and I was like What? Volterra's tall but not that tall but then I kept reading and thought it was very clever how you used her lack of experience on land and made a poor choice of attack when it was more realistic for her to be bad at fighting in that situation. Your closing defense was clear and good in terms of damage.

Emotion [2.5]
    Aquila's frustration with having to fight above ground is so present. She isn't in her element and it shows with her short-temperedness as she fights, and your language supports this. You start off with her frustration with the Rift fights and that sort of anger carries through, keeping it true to her character, and as she slowly starts to unravel and learn that she can't fight the same up here (particularly in 3/3) the emotion ramps up.

Prose [4.5]
    I love your adjective choice, I think the language you use for Aquila's descriptions is really unique and also makes sense given where she comes from. I think given that this is a spar and you need words to contribute to clarity I would think about reallocating some of that beautiful language to delineation, but you could also just use the rest of the wordcount to do so. Overall though your style was great and really shined here.

3/3: "Blood blooms ... almost unsatisfying"
  • This was just beautiful. I had to stop and look over this again because it was an excellent start to your post and show of your skill.

Readability [1.5]
    Overall quite easy to read. A good balance of flow that worked well with your prose section but was still clear to read. I would urge you to be more clear when discussing your attacks; getting a bit more technical with that language is fine and knowing positioning will help a judge. This didn't get in the way much but at the beginning of the fight I noticed you could have been clearer at times. As I noted with Volterra also, I would maybe pay closer attention to when you choose to italicize though, since it can interrupt the flow of a sentence.

2/3: Too large eyes watched for her poison to sink in— not knowing that she waited in vain.
  • This proved a problem for me. Is it because there's no poison in her barbs or because she didn't get Volterra that badly? At first I read this and thought Volterra should have taken poison damage when he didn't, but then I read around (which a judge shouldn't have to do to find the info) and found out Aquila's barbs aren't poisonous anymore. It should be very clear within the text of your post, and you had the room to say "not knowing that she waited in vain because they no longer had poison since she'd come through the rift."

Finally tally: 31 + (12.5*2) = 56 HP

• Messages In This Thread
    ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Volterra - 02-13-2016, 01:45 PM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Aquila - 02-21-2016, 12:48 AM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Volterra - 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Aquila - 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Volterra - 03-19-2016, 03:00 PM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Aquila - 04-01-2016, 02:27 AM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Volterra - 04-19-2016, 03:37 PM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Aquila - 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM
    RE: ad victoriam [vol vs aquila] - by Official - 07-04-2016, 11:08 AM