the Rift

[OPEN] True hope (Herd meeting, CLOSED)

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

It would appear that this was not the best of places to mull over the structuring of her new underlings. Midas brought up too many interesting news, revealing that she was not the only one to rise up to fame - the one-winged girl, who's name she finally managed to catch after bumping into her without getting a chance to talk more privately, received both a high rank and an amulet, and the blessing of a god to that. Skuggi flinched and sidestepped wide-eyed and incredulous as bright flames licked the ground around the hooves of the filly, still unaccustomed to this regions tendency to whip up magic for any and every reason. Midas's use of sand had been fine, it wasn't the first time she saw it (granted it had been far less impressive back in the Endless night) but this was... different.

Another surprise came as the sultan chose to appoint Gaucho as his co-lead. This caused the blackbird to frown slightly to herself, careful not to let the expression spread to her actual features. She wasn't really opposed to the idea of the tall warrior holding such a high position. What she doubted was the ability of the savage stud to handle the responsibilities that came with the title. As a soldier he was excellent, as sergeant or even general the snake-charmer had a true worth... but would his mind and tongue be able to cope with the now increased need to speak, to reason and deliver understandable orders?

Somehow Shadow doubted it, but at the same time she believed she could understand Midas. It must be hard to stand there in front of everyone, trying to fill the small yet deeply carved in hoof-prints of Kri. It was a heavy responsibility, one she didn't envy him one bit.

Sighing quietly the little mare flexed the wings where she stood, thoughts drifting while ears listened half-heartedly to the rest of the information. There would be much to do from now on indeed; there had been many changes, and it would be necessary to strengthen the new ranks - before anyone realized that they had become slightly, ever so temporarily, weakened.

Kri, Resolute! Why did you have to leave us..?

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava

Sterling irises flicker towards the newly appointed sleuth as he watched her get, in a deserving manner, promoted. Ears perk forward as he listens to each and every word that the members speak. Everyone was important to him; each and every member there deserved recognition. Levi was so proud in the sense of what his sanded home had become. His orbs suddenly blink and he is back in reality. Thankful, the brute nods his head back towards the charcoal mare in respect. He had actually never formally met this mare before, but he had heard great things about her. She obviously proved to be a great member of the Throat for she got the rank of a sleuth.

Then Midas approaches Africa, giving her an amulet from the sun god. A grin appears on Levi’s lips as he watches her step up to take the position of oracle. She truly deserved this because Levi, in his opinion, had never seen someone who worked so very hard to recruit members and overall she was beautiful on the inside and out. Not to mention that she had a glowing personality. She was determined and perfect for the rank. Levi looked towards her with a giant smile, winking at her. He was proud to call Africa his friend.

Then Onni was appointed with a sun amulet. She of course was here from the beginning, such as he was, and Levi appreciated everything that the painted fae had done from the herd. She truly was the life saver of the group and seemed to perfect her healing each time she performed the magic. Levi then looked towards her with a smile still upon his lips as he watched.

Midas then recognized the soldier whose gaze searched for his new Sultan. His orbs shimmered with appreciation as Midas ranked him back up to Sergeant. A pinch of guilt raced in his heart because he had truthfully lost the rank to Gaucho, but he was not going to complain about getting it back. How could he? It was such an honor! Levi offered Midas a smile and then nodded his head graciously towards him. “Thank you so much! I really appreciate this my good brother. I will not disappoint you, Midas. I will work as hard as I can. I will push myself and will not rest so that our family can be safe. I truly look forward to working with you and everyone else.” Levi turned his head towards the others a smile appeared on his features. And then he nodded towards Midas once again and listened.

And then the bomb hit. Gaucho was ranked to leader. What?! Why? The beast was a great warrior, no doubt about that, but he was just ranked to be their new General. Now who was going to take the lead? And how could he be a leader when he could not even speak in full sentences. He was great at taking direction and following rules, but not enforcing them. He was like a puppy or a child to Midas, always at his side, taking orders, always wanting to know what to do next. But he was not fit to be a leader. He was too bullheaded for the job. He only thought in way, his way. And it was that or the highway. Levi’s smile whipped away and his features went blank in disappointment and shock as well. He could not believe it. Frustration built in his chest and Levi bit his lip to keep his mouth from gaping open.

"Talk talk talk talk talk."

levi.</style>
  when the light begins to fade, i'll be your guide.</style>
image by geezaweezer @ flickr.com

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
There was some silence. Some thanks. Some speech. And then Midas was talking again, saying the Sun God had chosen someone. That they were worthy of whatever cause it was she was being promoted to. There was the heartbeat radiating from the ground as the sand seemed to pulsate up, holding two amulets and allowing one to be dropped around the one-winged mare’s neck. And then, another heartbeat happened as I felt tendrils of warmth pool up in a circle round Africa’s frame.

And then, he was calling for Onni, bestowing upon her yet another amulet. He thanked her for her healings. Good, I placed her frame in my mind and committed it to memory. I might require her assistance in the future. Though, at the moment, I was still ever grateful to Cirrus for all she had done to my burnt up body to return it to this normal state.

Another was promoted, this time to Sergeant. My cranium turning toward his frame as his voice pulled out and thanked Midas as well. And, the last tedious point seemed to be the wall, telling those who had a desire to help to seek out Sohalia – the only one who I truly felt comfortable with. It seemed now would be the time to aid her with the wall, to actually accomplish something through my perceptions of the world.

But yet, Midas’s voice pulled back out again, calling Gaucho forward. And, as I felt the man’s bulky frame edge closer to Midas I felt my cranium tilt to the side a little. Midas spoke of his loyalty and the blood Gaucho had lost for the Throat. He said he stood as a warrior and then the unspeakable happened. Midas asked Gaucho to assume the crown beside him.

I shook my head. I recognized that frame. It could not be true. This stag had never once easily formed a sentence when I had been around him. And, it seemed, that if one wanted a conversation they had to dumb everything down for the stag who towered over them all. Loyalty was a lovely thing, protecting the herd was a recognizable feat, but should he really be leader?

I cannot stay quiet any longer. I step forward, closer to the circle of winged-creatures that I had been avoiding as I knew I was one of the outcasts without even having to question it. ”Midas, if I may…” I start, taking in a breath and taking comfort in the light vibrations my tail sends spindling around my feet before continuing on, not waiting for a yes or a no to come from his mouth. ”Other than loyalty and bleeding what has Gaucho done to prove that he would make a good leader. I’ve probably lived far longer than every one of thee that is currently here in this circle – immortality has done me well, even though it was stripped as I crossed the border of Helovia and was stripped of my connection with my companion – and I had once been a leader. The role is not just one for loyalty. If you want the herd to be safe you must be able to communicate…”

I pause, taking a moment to choose words before I spit out my reeling brain’s thoughts, ”I have only been near Gaucho when he forms fragments, and when others have needed to dumb down the conversation so he fully comprehends it – or so it seems, and I do mean no offense Gaucho. He seems to be a lovely warrior, he wants protection of the herd, that was evident when he tried to warn us of the magic orb, believing it was from the ‘yewneekorn’s, as he called them. It turned out to be magic, which I gained, but his concern was evident. And, when Sohalia gave birth he was there, protecting her from Apodis and I as we were strangers at the time. I have seen nothing to say that he could not be a good Commander in Chief of an Army, but I have also seen nothing to prove to me that he would be well versed in the political realm and dealing with herd tensions…”

Again, I pause, taking a step back again. My audits are flicking around as my blind orbs concentrate upon Midas, peering off in his direction without locking onto his form. ”I only ask out of concern for the well-being of the herd. I do not know Kri, I never met her. But I’m not sure giving one so well-versed in war, who is locked on protection with minimal conversational skills is the best choice, and I cannot allow that thought to lay dormant should something happen…” I shake my head and swallow, inching back a few more steps until I am about twenty feet from the perimeter, muscles tensing to be attacked by those who are residing in the meeting, by Gaucho for possibly dishonouring him without intending to, or by Midas for daring to question his frame of mind.

A leader is not someone who fights. A leader is someone who can calm the situations down. A leader is someone who understands others speech. A leader was not, in my head, someone like Gaucho…

827 words
Don't hate the poor wingless girl... XD

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

The shaman steps forward almost absent-mindedly at the call of her name, limbs moving through mechanical, automatic movements. Her head raises, eyes sightlessly meeting Midas's lips as he speaks. Something to be proud of in this moment, supposedly, but the painted girl is still thinking, mind racing, ears searching for the familiar sounds of her mother's tugging winds.

Then, suddenly, weight falls upon the mare's chest. Glancing down, beside the amulet that she had found when Kaj had been present in their ranks sat another amulet, much the same shade as the last. For my services, she thinks, a small smile on her lips. "It is an honor to serve you," her voice light as she glances around those gathered.

Stepping back into formation, Onni's ears perk forward at the promotion of Gaucho. The healer smiles, knowing that he is a stallion with a strong will and large heart. Despite the brutish ways he often displayed, the gentle girl had come to like Gaucho. It would be a challenging position for him, but the shaman had no doubt that the simple stallion could grow into it. However, perhaps the reservations of all gathered are spoken from the lips of the pale white mare Onni had met not long ago.

Listening as the girl speaks, the healer waits respectfully for the mare to finish. Lyhty sits silently as well, hearing the thoughts of his bonded to better understand the conversation.

"My mother was no politician," her voice is firm and strong, turning her head in the direction of the people. "Our home has long been protected by the strength of our warriors, not the tact of our leaders." Next, looking toward the brute already crowned in antlers, Onni smiles. "Besides, communication does not begin or end with our words. I believe our actions speak for us as well. Gaucho speaks of courage, loyalty, and in favor of the Sun in ways we all understand."

"If he wishes to lead, I will follow."
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.</style>

Were Gaucho able to hear the thoughts and condemnation of his comrades he might have - what? Had his feelings hurt? We all know that likely isn't true. But luckily for us, we don't have to try and piece together what the dun might be thinking, were he to hear all the dissension amongst the ranks, for Rasta spoke for all. Gaucho's stormy gaze looked at the mare, who could not look back. What was going on, in the simplistic mind of Gaucho, as the blind, ground-bound mare spoke of his inabilities? As she asked Midas to justify his choice? Well I'll tell you - amusement. If a creature like Gaucho was able to see the short-sightedness of Rasta's words, surely the rest should be able to as well. But they did not - for only Onnnmmmnneee offered her thoughts - that there were more sides of a leader, than just their ability to give speeches. Were they really so eager to put their own jealousy first, that they could not see the value in what Midas had done? Did they not see that each of the other herds held two rulers? If Midas was challenged or feel ill, the Throat would immediately fall. With a warrior like Gaucho as Midas' side, that would never happen. And, as Onni had said, this was how the Throat was - how their ranks were created. The leading ranks had always been divided into a political dimension, and a military one.

Moving his large body forward towards Rasta, for if it was she who was bold enough to chastise him publicly, then it would be she to whom he spoke. His dark body towered over hers, covered with scars and markings which spoke of his achievements. But her blind eyes could not see any of this. "Be near Gaucho now" He commanded. He always had a hard time following along with sentences - especially speeches such as the one Rasta had just made. Not only were many of the words foreign to him, but they often failed to be retained in his mind, making the referral to earlier points, almost impossible. But a few things had changed within the brute, that had aided in this area. He had been speaking with Onnmnmneee more about his quest, and how to pree-ch - with My-das as well. But easily the largest and most welcome impact to the improvement of his speech, was the steel-colored reptile slung carelessly in his antlers. Mara's mind was sharp, and as her age increased, her abilities pertaining to speech began to surpass Gaucho's. It was she, who carefully listened as Rasta spoke, retaining small bits of information, and relying them mentally to her companion, and it was she now, who was helping construct the flow of the warrior's sentences. "Long-life, but still much to learn" He began, almost condescendingly - although it wasn't. It almost seemed...kind? Regardless of whether or not Gaucho's speech was becoming more sophisticated, the formation of words was still a chore for him, and so the deep resonance of his voice was often lost in parsing his words. "You no- know Azzuen, and you no-know Kri. Onnnmnee says this is how Throat is, and is ....that is true." In his antlers, Mara nodded her head reassuringly, as he continued." My-das is great spee-ker, Gaucho is great fighter. Together, Throat is -" Pausing, his lips obviously fumbled for the word. The bone in his nose twitched as his gaze almost comically roamed upwards to his antlers, clearly communicating with Mara. "-Un-break-able. If My-das grow sick, or get challenged, or have to go away like Kri, Throat would be lost. With Gaucho, that never happen. Gaucho die before Throat get taken away."

Mara hissed reassuringly, as Gaucho cast one last glance that he knew Rasta would not see. He moved through the crowd of his brethren easily, for he was nearly a giant amongst them. For a moment he paused, for he did not see Sohalia. Although their relationship had never been formally cemented - or even really talked about - he got the feeling that she would be proud of him now. He turned to stand next to My-das, chin held high next to the paint. "You no-think Gaucho should be beside My-das? Challenge Gaucho. But not because of speech - " Again his eyes drifted upwards as a silent conversation was had between the brute and his companion. A small nod was given from Mara, as Gaucho's gaze lowered back to the crowd. "Not because of speech because - this not Gaucho's first lan-gwidge. Ki jini anha astak asqoy hatif Maisi Krazaaji kash shieraki vitihiri asavvasoon" The prompted, divided speech that they were all so used to, disappeared as Gaucho lapsed into his native tongue. Words easily rolled off the warrior's lips, and the deep and rich timbre of his voice could be fully appreciated. He was no idiot. He, like Rasta, had been a leader from where he came as well. Had anyone ever asked if his childish speech was a product of some mental deficiency? Had they ever thought that something more was going on beneath his primitively-dressed skull? Of course not - save for perhaps My-das and Onnmnee

With that, Gaucho fell silent at Midas' side. Surely he was no great orator, but mentally Mara nodded, letting him know that he had done well.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava

His words were choppy and barley understandable- like a little child. How dare he just get such an honorary power and abuse it already. Gaucho should not be demanding anyone yet and that is exactly why Levi knew that Gaucho was not fit to lead. The power would get to his head and the beast would surely believe that he was invincible. He was too naïve for this and Levi was getting angrier by the minute. Not only did he enforce the white fae to come over, he called her over when she could not see! What an absolute jerk. If Gaucho had a problem with her then he should have puller her aside himself AFTER the meeting, but not embarrass her for being brave and speaking what was on her mind because surely no one else did if they felt in favor or her opinion.

Rasta, Levi believed, was correct in every word she stated in her speech. He was a great warrior, but he is no speaker and he is more of an instigator than a resolver. And that is not what a leader should be, in Levi’s eyes at least. Unlike Midas, who could instantly handle the power of Sultan, Gaucho was just too immature to handle the omniscient position. The grullo did not see Midas commanding anyone around and he had the power longer than the ‘great’ Sultan Gaucho did. Levi would not take any order from this brute. He would follow Midas of course, but not from Gaucho. Not if he was going to treat the herd members with such disrespect already. And besides what does another language have to do with the one that is HERE?! Nothing. It proves nothing. If he proved to be such a fluent speaking in that other language, that he spat, then maybe Gaucho should just have stayed where his native herd was. What would happen if perhaps Midas did fall ill and Gaucho had to lead them in such a following scenario? Say a rival came into the borders; Gaucho could misunderstand them, and attack and not be able to explain to his members what to do. There would be no explanation in the simple words from Gaucho, just attack. And yes he can fight, but can the others? Not everyone can. How would he feel if Shadow got hurt, or say Sohalia because of his stupidity? Levi snorted and prepared to speak.

“There is no need to demand her like that Gaucho,”Levi quietly hummed. “She was just speaking her opinion…. You already have the position of Sultan and no one can take it away from you, unless they challenge you, so it’s over. And speaking another language does prove anything. We speak this language not your native one.” His voice was calm and he did not want to sound pushy himself, but if Rasta was going to speak her thoughts, Levi was going to back her up. He knew Gaucho tried hard, and he surely did, but he was not fit to be leader. If Levi ever had the guts to challenge him for leadership, he would.

"If My-das grow sick, or get challenged, or have to go away like Kri, Throat would be lost. With Gaucho, that never happen. Gaucho die before Throat get taken away."

WHAT?

“And I’m confused by that statement, Gaucho. Are you saying that Midas is weak and could not handle leading alone? He was general before you were, so why would you say that? Do not doubt Midas.” No if Gaucho fell ill we would be just fine Levi decided to just leave in his thoughts. "Please do not be offended, I am not saying this in any offensive way or to be rude... just my opinion as well."

Levi's orbs trailed away and he shot a look towards Rasta even though he knew she could not see back. He did not mean offense, but his mind got the best of him. The silver needed to say something. And Gaucho, for such a leader, did not even thank Midas...

"Talk talk talk talk talk."

levi.</style>
  when the light begins to fade, i'll be your guide.</style>
image by geezaweezer @ flickr.com

[Ahh don't hate on him either :/]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

It is not ignorance that keeps him from showing face at the meeting, for the call is clear and reverberates powerfully through the very core of the sand and clay that holds up the weight of the powerful Throat. They say it is not sentient, that the particles beneath their limbs are nothing but collections of dirt and rock; Cera does not believe this is true, because in every step and glance around the open expanse around him, he feels the Earth, the Sun, humming in harmony all around him. Do they not feel the Lords beneath their feet, over their heads? Have they already grown so comfortable in the return of their celestial governors that they forget their power, their grace? The very life of those immortal beings thrummed passionately in every particle, every breeze, every ripple of the horizon as the heat bore down. It was disgusting, how such a large body of people could go from wailing and cursing the gods for being torn from them, to caring so little for them once they returned. Greed had spoiled them, turned them rotten from the inside out, and Cera wanted to spit upon the corpses they dared to call living bodies. The Earth Father had given him the other piece to his soul, the loving brother he had always wanted. Similarly, the Solar Lord had housed him since birth, and had faithfully kept him safe from monsters like the blackened opposites that had once plagued Helovia. They were his patrons, equally loved and worshiped, and Cera despised the blatant selfishness his herdmates showed so carelessly. Did they only care for what the Gods gave them? Was that why they were celebrated upon their return, forgotten so rapidly?

They were a disgrace, but Cera was imperfect, and would not judge them to the best of his ability. It did not ensure that he would stand their blithe comments, should any be made. Mortals were selfish, greedy, temporary creatures. Often he wondered if he was the same, if this was some sort of sickness that infected them all at birth. If it spread like an airborne disease, like prejudice. So he remained in the clear sapphire waters of the oasis long after the call rang out, staring down at his reflection and idly sweeping his wingtips over the water, almost playfully. Ilaria, as a red panda, was a magnificent swimmer and was happily paddling about in the water around him. She lifted her eyes to him, pinning him like a butterfly's wings to the back of a picture frame, disapproval all he got from her for a few moments.

Is wrong, Cera. Go. Cera's face crumpled, unhappy with her decisive words. It was true, they should probably attend the meeting. They had yet to miss one in all their years both together and apart, and it was not time to start a new bad habit. Sighing, the youth relaxed his shoulder muscles and dropping a nearly-white wing into the water. Scrambling up via the delicate feathers, Cera winced slightly as Ilaria's claws dug in a little, but soon she was perched easily astride his collarbone. In moments he had waded from the waters, sun-bleached hide glowing in his recovering health, illuminating his colors that had paled in the heat, ivory like his wings would become as an adult. Well...technically he was of age, but often he did not feel it, despite the lean and corded muscle that kept him strong and the broad shoulders that grew wider as the scar that stretched across them shrank.

They are hard to miss, a massive conglomeration of bodies, but he does not approach farther than hearing distance. Lingering on the outskirts of their warmth and familiarity, he listens. Gaucho, Sultan of the Throat. Levi, Lieutenant of the Throat. Kri, gone and whereabouts unknown. Rasta, concerned, and Levi seconding her words. Cera shakes his shoulders and moves forth into the crowd, turning his head to meet eyes with all who care to gaze upon him. It is time for him to speak.

"I do not think Levi nor Rasta should be condemned for their worries," here he looks kindly to Onni, whom he had not expected such an answer from. "It has nothing to do with Gaucho's speech, as clearly he has learned a different language. Levi, I find it cruel that you prejudice against him, has he not fought mentally to learn our language? Are we to be racist as the ones who nearly took our home from us? Banish all differences, all traces of uniqueness?" He stands tall, face hardening and eyes snapping to Levi, not demanding an answer but making his own feelings known. If they could voice their own, why could he not refute them similarly?

"Gaucho's love for the Throat is shown in the simple fact that he constantly strives to learn more of our language. And Gaucho is a private man, so miss Rasta's worries are not baseless, for how many sides have many of us seen of our wonderful brother and warrior? No mortal is shallow, undefined. We are all deep and complex." Shaking his head and snorting softly, he smiled up to Gaucho, the man he so admired, standing beside his father. His father, the Sultan. How much has he missed? And all of it because of his father's duties.

"I was abandoned, as a foal. My father, Onni, Sohalia...none made fun of my lack of ability with speech, for I had nobody to speak to, listen to. Here I stand now, fully equipped with my words. Do not condemn Rasta, for if we blindly followed any leader, where would we be?" Ilaria peers from his spine easily, silently, though no other being aside from her bonded could hear her in a way they could understand. It was comforting, to know it was something so private, so beautiful, and unique only to them. Perhaps not to everyone who had a companion, no, but between Cera and Ilaria it was secretive and perfect.

"My own thoughts will not be spoken, but I will not allow Gaucho nor Rasta to be spoken down to, nor have their opinion pushed aside. Both are valid, and it is between them, up until the point others have the same worries, and then it is between Gaucho and each separate person." And suddenly he is puffed up, tall and broad and uncaring of who stares at him. "Trust is not established just because someone is named Sultan. It is foolish to scorn someone merely because they are aware of that. Let the trust grow naturally, and we shall be whole once more." With that he stepped back into the group, stirring the air with a shifting wing as he approached Rasta, showing her he was approaching, and slowly pressed his longest flight feather to her flank. Moving to stand beside her, a silent but hopefully comforting force, he prepared for the outbursts sure to come from his "defiance".

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream

Dragon's Throat Oracle

Like a bubble gliding across the surface of the Throat’s tranquil water, Africa’s heart was afloat with renewed hope, and that trademark enthusiasm which seemed always to glisten through her fawn-hued eyes. She had expected the chime of her own approving delight to encourage her peers to raise their voices in a chorus of sorts, to exalt the risen leaders now together, and celebrate the fresh power which would undoubtedly carry their resilient herd into the future. Both within her perceptive mind and far inside the pulse of her passionate heart, the one-winged mare could not find fault in the choice which had been made. She agreed wholeheartedly with the black and white stallion who had never before betrayed the considerable trust placed upon his shoulders- by his home, his family and Africa, herself.

Disappointingly, the herd still gathered around did not join in, and the dapple grey’s heart sank; instead, almost like the heaviness of coastal humidity, she thought she could feel the unanimous discord sweltering between their mostly silent selves. Troubled young eyes sought quickly the expressions of her peers and it became instantly apparent that her excitement for the future of their close-knit family was not shared- at all. They came to settle upon one mare who was the very lightest sort of creamy gold with milky off white eyes, as she began to vent her mind; also perhaps the thoughts of the mulling crowd around her. Africa had not previously seen the speaker; neither before the Endless Night, nor any time recently since returning to the desert, and she listened with quivering, forward resting ears to all that was said.

Quivering velvet-smooth nostrils pinched and flared at the mention of the Resolute- the mare whose curt manner had seemed almost as undiplomatic as the choppy verse of the antler-wearing bay before them. Africa wondered between the differences of each leader, and although Kri indeed spoke with fluid ability, her approach had been not that dissimilar- certainly from the sharp viewpoint of the brooding grey. Actually, she recalled with a brisk snort, the Resolute had made one present this very second cry, on the first, offhand, meeting. It had been that first impression which had intimidated Africa and provoked a nervous respect for her leader- Kri had been a force to be reckoned with absolutely, but why was Gaucho not just as fierce. The word discrimination jumped to the front of her mind but she held her tongue carefully while the tension through the meeting began to overflow. Contempt should not exist here, and certainly Africa held none for any of her kin.

Silas could sense the disharmony building through Africa’s enduring soul, and began to preen the crop of oily many by her withers, a gesture to comfort and consol his beloved.

Her concerned gaze swept from the group towards Midas, and there it softened thoughtfully. So much stress had overwhelmed their family of late and Africa imagined easily that their dissonance would burden the stallion’s enormous, compassionate heart. She knew well that he cared deeply for them all. So, in silence she decided that when evening set darkness upon their home, Silas and she would venture to the unkempt flame of the diviner and pray to the god of the Sun; the fresh faced Oracle would pray as the humble servant of his glorious land, for facilitation and his better judgement regarding all which upset her family.

Eagle by :: Jassy2012@dA

Ooc: Just wanted to slip this in quickly, I hope that's alright.

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
It doesn't take long for someone to speak up against me. I had expected nothing less, after all. And since I didn't know too many others and the depths of their personalities it was bound to come. The first words that had slipped from the healer's mouth were stating that her mother had been no politician. My head turned toward her, muscles still tensed. I waited for her to finish, as she addressed the rest of the meeting, before giving her support to the antlered one. "It is not tact that concerns me. It is the possibility that Gaucho does not understand something and lead us into a war that kills more than helps off of a mistake. And again, I'm not questioning his loyalty and courage - I'm questioning the comprehension..." I shake my head and bite my tongue for a second as I feel someone shift.

It doesn't take long for my mind to place the large, towering frame as he inches toward me. The tension in my muscles raises, for a moment, until his voice sounded. Broken speech, not necessarily proper, but the point was across. A command, one that had my mind back into the old role of a leader. One that my old companion might have told me to back down from. The tension leaves, and I lift my head up a little, ears pricking forward. Long life. Much to learn. True. I had plenty to learn here, and I would be the first to admit that I did not understand all that occurred in Helovia.

His speech continued, broken and difficult, and names were thrown my way that I did not recognize, nor doubted I would know who they were. He spoke of Midas growing sick, challenged, needing to leave, saying the Throat would be lost. Saying that would never happen with Gaucho. There was a hiss from the creature entwined in his antlers. It was that one thing that stabbed her the most in the heart. Her hawk. Her soul was broken and missing.

He moved then, toward Midas and my steps backward were replaced with steps forward. A sort escaped my mouth as he dared me to challenge him. Saying not to challenge just because of speech and then, he went off in a different language. "Deliciae charissimus, I can speak in another fractured language as well. One that I had to learn fragments of to get around. Latin was flung at new leaders to confuse them - to get themselves into a situation they couldn't get out of-" I started, only to feel more movement and my voice stopped, head turning toward where the movement was from, trying to find a way to escape should they decide to gang up on me and scar my pelt.

But, no. This winged one - the one who had just been promoted to Sergeant spoke up for me - and he backed me and my opinion, questioning just what was going on. And then another was appearing. Cera. One who I had met only one before. Saying that I shouldn't be condemned. He said my worries were not baseless, and explained a part of his past. He puffs up a little before heading back toward the group. A shifting of his wing, pushing air my direction giving me more warning then just his vibrations. And, as he pressed a flight feather against my flank to alert me of his presence he pulled in and stood beside me.

Gently, I reached out and nuzzled his shoulder. "Thank you, Cera - you are brave, and kind. It was not necessary to defend either of us, but it took courage," I whisper, just loud enough for his ears and his ears only. I shift, just a little, pressing my shoulder against his frame for a second to recollect my thoughts before continuing on. "Gaucho, sir, I do not doubt that you could best me in battle. I lack wings, and I lack these abilities those of Helovia seem to possess that could aid me in fighting you. I already know I do not know what would happen in the air above me, making me vulnerable. I do not doubt your ability to fight, to maim, to kill, to be forever loyal to the Throat and all it's members. But, I also know I am different from most here, not only in size, but in the lack of wings and sight. And I will be the first to admit that I do have a lot to learn about how all of this happens here in Helovia - but I will also be the first to say to all of you, that the long life has also shown me the downfall of not understanding what others are saying. Gaucho. I'm only worried because if you misunderstand what someone is saying - because, perhaps Midas is sick or away, and you are the one leader here - and call for us to go to war, or attack for no reason it could lead to more disastrous consequences. I'm not worried about tact. Be as blunt as you'd like. I just want to be sure you are following everything that is going on, that you won't send us blindly into a fray that leads to death for no reason. If you still think there is a reason to fight me, to allow me to prove that you can pummel me in a fight then by all means, come at me this second - as long as it is you, and you alone. One on the rest of the herd does nothing, and is horribly unfair to the already handi-capped mare in a herd of wings..." I say, strength radiating in my voice.

The old spirit of a tried leader has returned. If only the other half of my soul would come back to me.

"Atque utinam pro pace..."

1001 words -legasp-
Deliciae charissimus - darling dearest
Atque utinam pro pace - I only wish for peace

Hidden Account

"I have no desire to condemn anyone," the healer says rather quietly but pointedly as Cera looks toward her, as if to direct the accusation of such a crime toward the kind-hearted mare. The mare had only expressed an opinion, in a calm yet decisive manner. When this had become a condemnation, she did not know. Normally filled with light, patience, and an open-heart, Onni begins to feel a bit out of place now. Her mother is no longer here, no longer wearing a crown and calming everyone gathered. Annoyed, one ear flickers back as more voices raise, chastising one another.

Calling Gaucho demanding, dim-witted, violent, brutish, disrespectful, forceful. More and more, implied insults fling through the air, harsh tones. Both ears flick backward, forward, backward. Her jaw clenches uneasily. Upon her neck now, Lyhty twiddles the mare's mane for comfort. Still, the shaman begins to feel uneasy. The stains being poured upon her friend's honor stinging her own heart.

Lips draw down into a tight frown, the healer glancing from face to face, but finding herself lost. How could her family speak of one another in this way? Assume such evils in one another? Alone, adrift with such ugly souls; she is a candle in the dark.

Then, as Rasta finishes her speak, the shaman just cannot remain silent anymore.

"I do not believe Gaucho is intending to fight you, Rasta," Onni holds her voice collected and firm. She may be kind and gentle, but the grit of the Resolute is not lost on her daughter. "I believe he was requesting an objection to his promotion aside from his inability to speak our language fluently." Looking toward Gaucho for a moment, the healer looks for some sort of response from the bay before turning her attention back to those gathered.

"You speak of him as though he is a violent monster who will attack the weak or the innocent," her voice is airy, light, but also terribly sad in this moment. "Why would you assume such evils to lie in the heart of your herd-mate, simply because he is skilled in battle?"

"It is true that Gaucho is fiercely protective, but he is not so dimwitted to start war over misinterpreted words, as you seem so keen to believe."

Chan

Keen eyes glittered in lavender hues as sunlight found its way in beneath a coarse forelock, playing across the moist surface. The mare remained quiet as the gaze moved from person to person, following the trail of words with guarded interest. The discussion was growing steadily more heated, but the raven chose to stay out of it despite a desire to raise her voice, call for them all to just shut up and accept the facts laid out to them.

It was true that she doubted Gaucho's ability to lead. She had been surprised but also slightly impressed as the creamy wingless raised her voice in open questioning of Midas's decision, half amused and half astounded over the brash words. The protests from Onni aside, the newly appointed sleuth had watched the response of the tall savage with interest; he had surprised her. In a positive way, to that, one that just showed how little she knew about her fellow herd mates. While broken and struggling for words his speech had been easy to understand, the words spoken wise and patient. The shade had nodded in silent approval, forced to admit to herself that he had more depth than she had been led to believe.

Was it that strange that she had been mislead into thinking there was nothing but air between his ears? The few times she had stood in company with the painted warrior his participation in conversation had been limited to reports, one-track minded attitude revealed as orders were received without question or hesitation. To her he had seemed slightly daft, a little slow on the uptake - but now Shadow admitted that she had been too quick to judge. Perhaps he could function as a lead after all - by the side of Midas, of course. Her accepting the new lead was not going to be the same as offering her loyalties, it took more than a title and a pretty speech to gain the trust of the strong-willed blackbird.

So, sufficiently humbled by her own ignorance the dark mare found herself able to stand by and simply watch as the seemingly so tight-knit group began to unravel, one hard word at a time. Almost through afterthought she listened as Levi, Rasta, Onni and now Cera spoke their minds, but the attention of the mare was turning more and more towards Midas, earnestly interested in seeing how he would react to all of this - insubordination, unrest, heating emotions...

"So this is what happens as soon as Kri leaves" she murmured, mostly to herself but with direct address to the painted sultan. A few casual steps brought her closer to his elevated position, sly eyes peering up at him from beneath the cover of long dark lashes. "The herd is uneasy, Sultan. What will you do?"

Maybe it was good that it all came spilling out now, when there was sufficient amount of time to remedy the situation. Better to have all of them spill their guts now, than later when all of their lives depended on whether they could trust and cooperate or not.

image credits

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho's gaze fell flatly upon Levi, as unfounded and unjustified statements rolled from his lips. He had beaten Levi before physically, and the desire to do so now bubbled just beneath the surface. Still, Gaucho stood his ground next to My-das and did not advance towards the grullo. In his antlers, Mara recalled the way it felt to leach her poison into his body, and feel his resolve fall away. She remembered the way his skin had yielded to her fangs, and as his challenges resounded in her brain as well, the desire to handle him physically was just as present. Still, the pair held fast, merely staring down the silver, waiting for him to get off of his soap box. Levi was a follower, if Gaucho had ever seen one. Swayed by popular opinion without a thought of his own. Gaucho would let him realize the error of his ways; he did not need to beat him into a pulp to do so.

"Proves much" He responded sternly, stormy gaze settling upon Levi. "Gaucho not born here - Gaucho learn other lang-gwidge - that not Gaucho's fault. Same way we all born with wings - not our fault, but yeww-nee-korns attack us for it. They racist. They-" Pausing he looked up to Mara, as she aided him with his word choice. "-they Jud-ge on things out of our control. You judge Gaucho. You just as racist."

As Levi continued, Gaucho could not help but crack a smile. They all accused him of being the slow one, of not being able to understand. And here was Levi, twisting his words for his own stupid agenda. "You the one who doubt My-das" He sneered towards Levi, dark tail flicking at his hocks. "My-das make this choice, and Levi doubt it. That-" Again a pause, for a quick word-swap from Mara. "-That imply you doubt My-das. " However it was at this time, that Gaucho's dark gaze removed itself from the silver, and moved to My-das, his oldest friend in Helovia. "Never weak" He whispered with a nod. He was sure that the paint already knew the contents of Gaucho's mind on this subject - for they had fought alongside one another during the Foothills invasion, and had been held just as helpless as mawd-jaa had slipped away. Shifting his gaze back now to Levi, he grunted. "Having two strong leads is called strat-id-gee" He began, sounding the word out, as if for Levi's benefit. "Good leaders know. My-das know."

He looked now to Cera, and mentally urged Mara to pay close attention. As he said the word 'prejudice', Mara almost hissed aloud - that was a good word for what Levi had done. She would have to remember that. As Cera turned his gaze to him, the warrior nodded in response. Maybe others in his place would have felt warm fuzzy feelings - perhaps they would have felt saved, to have yet another voice come to their aid. But Gaucho merely felt proud. Perhaps not in the paternal sense that My-das might have, but in a paternal way all the same: The Throat was a family, and he would protect them all. Even the blind who opposed him, and the ignorant who didn't know when they were no longer being helpful.

His dark ears twitched slightly as the golden youth mentioned Sohalia. Soh, Gaucho thought with a certain amount of longing, once again scanning the crowd for the petite white mare. She was not found - but his attention was not lost for long, for Rasta was once again speaking. As she broke into Latin, Gaucho's ears pinned against his skull. Was this her point then? To show his weakness by deliberately speaking a long soliloquy in two tongues? They would crucify him for not understanding, while it was his own herd who deliberately made it hard to do. Mara whispered into his thoughts, a summary of Rasta's words. Before he could answer, onnmneee was once again speaking. Perhaps it was due to the slightly aroused emotional side of Gaucho (the miniscule part of him, that longed for Sohalia), that caused Gaucho nearly to start at the shaman's words. He held an overwhelming respect for the painted healer, and not only because she had soothed his battered body. She was a light that even a creature like he could understand, and want to care for. And as she clarified his speech, he nearly moved to drop at her hooves in thanks. Instead, as her gaze seeks his out, his antlered skull dips in response; stormy gaze bright with regard for the shaman.

Mara hissed with frustration in his antlers, wishing that she had the ability to speak out loud. She slithered down his nose, turning to look her bonded squarely in the eye. It was clear that she was communicating with him, for her body moved slightly side to side, and Gaucho's own dark ears twitched as if physically listening. With a grunt, Gaucho nodded slowly, as Mara turned around. Her steel colored body was now draped down the middle of Gaucho's skull, rising up about a foot off of his muzzle. Her dark gaze surveyed the crowd, hissing loudly to get their attention. "Mara ssssay....Mara ssssay look around. My-dassss, Ccccera, Onni....all believe in Gaucho. But ssssomething elsssse - all know Gaucho. Rasssssta-" At this point it was obvious that Gaucho was literally serving as a mouthpiece of his companion, by the way he pronounced his 'ssss' so elongated. He was merely reciting the words as they entered into his mind, without thought for pronunciation. And so, rather oddly, it did seem that the snake was speaking through him. "- no-know Gaucho." Her head raised slightly higher, as her black gaze looked through the crowd once again. "Before you assssume Midasss made a wrong choicccce, sssspeak with Gaucho." Her face lowered as her body wriggled backwards, but not before gently resting her face on top of Gaucho's muzzle.

The dun warrior nodded as Mara's odd speech came to a close. "Talk to Gaucho. Gaucho will understand" His gaze sought out Rasta, his harshest critic. And while he knew she could not seem him, he was sure she would know this was directed at her. As Shadow spoke, Gaucho's own gaze turned to My-das, who had been shockingly silent through this whole banter. He was not totally surprised - if the herd wanted to hear him speak, My-das speaking over them would have proved nothing.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

"Tis enough," I uttered softly, soft but somehow strong enough to rise above the fray of words and be heard be the entire congregation. The sandstone swells with an echo of that single utterance; and the floor beneath my feet rumbles with a tiny quake of power that spreads toward the hooves of my comrades. Earth trembled slightly and then grew still. My eyes scanned them once, patient and at the same time granting no quarter in disobedience. Order had to be maintained now that they had all gotten a chance to speak and blood was rising. My wings loosened themselves as a way of settling before tightening back into a curled position. Ears had been firmly knotted forward, now they ached to slice back.

Firmly I spoke to them all, careful to keep my gaze moving constantly and not settling on one individual, "Ye have shared your thoughts on this matter. Listen now with eager ears." Fina hummed in a humorless way from behind me, her intelligent blue orbs watching with interest. Though they were not posed on the meeting, but Mara, Gauchos serpent. "A dragon cannot fly with only one wing; there needs to be two." Kri might have ruled alone, but that wasn't out of choice. Three times she chose a second, and three times those leads had vanished.

"If ye cannot lend your trust to Guacho, then lent it to me. As sultan of Dragons Throat, child of sand and brother to you all; trust me to carry this forward. Until snow falls upon the meadow, lend it to me. On the first day of Frostfall we will see if the voices that cry in opposition have changed."

Nobody could prove themselves overnight.

There was still another matter which needed attention, a decision that I didn't want to make alone. "There something else that must be considered. Foothills is under new leadership and has submitted a plea for friendship; their Basin ties have been severed by their new lead. I ask ye now, speak up either in favor or not for this offer." My heart yearned to help Apollo, but I would not force my herd to forgive before they were ready.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream

Dragon's Throat Pupil

Soon enough the churning sea of emotion and opinion was hushed, the golden eyed Midas lifting his gentle voice just enough to soothe the fray. The floor beneath them all began to tremble slightly at his will, and a respectful silence seemed to quickly overwhelm the steaming mass of bodies. Certainly the young Oracle held him in the highest regard, and she would follow his lead- and that of Gaucho, tirelessly forward. In a show of untried patience, the mare's long tail licked left and then right across sharp hocks, the subtle crimson within peeking cheekily through the black. Still locked in careful silence, her eyes lingered by the front of the group where Midas had begun again to address them as a whole.

Long dark ears fell forward, heavy and weary as the afternoon grew late and she absorbed his tolerant words with a dutiful nod. Africa agreed that their herd would be safest if watched over by four eyes; guarded by the prowess of two proven soldiers- she did not know what lurked through the neighbouring territories in truth, but she knew all too personally that the ghouls of the north would not settle with the loss which had most recently befallen them; and there were monsters among them, without hearts or any moral code. It was a healthy choice to place at the front of their family, the strongest and perhaps the most notable.

The discussion over Gaucho's worthiness was brought to an end at last, and Africa felt as though the atmosphere (while still hot and sticky) lightened instantly. Midas went on to present to them a new issue; a new reason for concern. Africa had not learned much about the secretive ways of those who had hired themselves out in service to any who would pay- she knew of them yes, but not in any grave detail. Rumour and unhappiness had been whispered throughout the oasis of late, telling of their involvement in support of the Basin's recent assault on the unyielding, though peaceful force which was Dragon's Throat. It was an unforgivable betrayal.

Perhaps she wondered as her pale yellow eyes drifted downwards to the bony legs of the beast standing in front of her, a careful treaty was a smarter option than committing frail hearts and wearied trust to ‘friendship' like the Sultan suggested. Africa sighed profoundly, torn between common sense and her desire to pledge unyielding trust into her black and white friend. "Maybe we should offer them a treaty." She almost only breathed, but her gaze had risen to find that of both Gaucho and Midas. Cautiously she lifted her face to glance between the eyes of the many surrounding and spoke again with swelling compassion for the needs of her home. "I'm afraid I can't agree to friendship with the memory of the invasion still so raw in our family's heart- at least not until I have spent time in the midst of the Foothills and spoken with those now following the new leadership you speak of." For now they remained faceless, nameless strangers.

Humbly she sank back into the crowd, unsure how her opinion might be received given the strength of character shown by those around her; Africa certainly did not have that same brilliant confidence.

Eagle by :: Jassy2012@dA

Chan

A satisfied smile blew across the maw of the shade and was gone once more, her thoughts soon hidden once more behind the usual surly expression. Midas always lived up to her expectations - it was a comfortable thing, very reassuring, this that she could count on him to act in appropriate ways. The shadow couldn't have done it better - and didn't want the kind of position her painted friend had gained either. It was a great honor to be approved as someone to lead and protect the family, but the blackbird much preferred to stand behind her lords, offer support from her natural element and glean the rewards from it without having to bear the weight of everyones critical eyes.

He seemed made for it; the silence that settled over the group the moment he raised his voice in speech was enough to prove it, and Skuggi found herself enraptured by the soft words, sucked in to pay attention in a situation where her mind otherwise would have begun to stray.

It was a good thing that she was listening though, because the issue he addressed was a tricky one. Her frown was visible this time as she mulled over his words, hard hooves scraping at the sands beneath and shifting it back and forth, absently trying to form a smooth surface.
Shadow didn't know that much about the Foothills. It was an area she hadn't visited, as much from lack of interest as from the strained relations between their herds. The thought of suddenly allying with ones who had so recently tried to breach their borders with violence left a bad taste in the mouth and set a bell of alarm ringing at the back of the mind. But at the same time...

"Peace is better than war" she said after Africa had finished, nodding in assent to the words of the girl. "But at the same time I think it would be wise to use caution when establishing a relation. I would suggest a non-aggression treaty for the time being, and - as Africa so elegantly suggested - perhaps I can send my informants in to get a better view of the interests of the herd as a whole, before we tie ourselves down with promises." A cunning look was shot towards the dappled mare, a half smile flashing with a hidden question in it. Perhaps she would like to join them? She definitely seemed to have the head in the right place, judging by her earlier suggestion, and it wouldn't hurt having the Oracle partake in the mission.

"At any rate, I think it would be a good opportunity to strengthen our relations with the other herdas well. I would be willing to seek the World's Edge out and suggest friendly competitions, mock stealth attacks and so on - if the Lords agree."

The black mare let the gaze sweep over the faces of the herd once, then rested her attention back on the faces of the two stallions, this time including Gaucho in the question as well. At the very least she was going to acknowledge his rank - friendship, respect and loyalty could come later, as both Cera and Midas had stated, among others.

image credits

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho's dark ears flickered slightly as My-das, then Africa, and Shadow spoke of the Foothills, and their fate. In his mind, Gaucho saw the sun as it dawned over the lush hills and valleys, and how he, My-das, Kri, and Aryel had silently assisted in the invasion of those lands. Gaucho, a creature of war and strategy, was not at all perplexed or confused by My-das's hesitancy, although he did not share the same concerns. As Shadow finished, his dark gaze washed over her with a mild thoughtfulness. He noted that she had used the plural to include not only My-das, but himself as well. It was appreciated, but even the dun had the good sense to divert such decisions to his counter-part. Such was how the Throat had run, for what seemed like years: there was always the brain, with the brawn. Turning slightly, he let his gaze dissolved some what, so as to speak to the group, rather than at anyone in particular.

"Throat help them, when they called them-selves the Gray. But that not make them friends of Throat. They were mercenaries-" This word, 'mercenary' was one he knew, and it rolled off his tongue with ease. "-not friends. They attack because of -" Another pause, as Mara mentally assisted him with word selection. "-because of contract. But they not the Gray now. Just Foothills. No more contract." Again he paused, collecting his thoughts - for on this matter, Gaucho did have an opinion. "They have honor - they no break contract, even if they want to. That make good ally. Make good friend of Throat."

Finished, he relaxed somewhat. He had flown over the Foothills recently, and had seen what went on there, and the answer: Not much of anything. One of Soh's friends resided there - the sparkly one he had met once. He didn't know her position, but assumed that if she was any indication of their military strength, the Throat need not worry.

Image Credits

Hidden Account

The painted girl nods submissively in response to Midas's command. Immediately she falls silent, stepping back into the crowd and breaking her gaze away from Rasta's small form. As long as she had spoken in defense of her friend, the shaman is at peace. Her mother would insist that all in her presence were family, but more and more Onni began to wonder what family meant to her, not her mother. The Illuminant has no particular knowledge of those around in this meeting, aside from the select few. Still, she held loyalty to the two stallions now standing as leads. Did this mean she needed to pledge familial bonds to all who followed them?

She did not know. She had never really thought about it.
Perhaps more than those that live here, Onni loved the land itself. The light of the Sun God, the bones buried within its sands, the spirits seeking refuge in the crimson sea; did she truly love the people of the Dragon's Throat?

This meeting left a bitter taste in her mouth, with the doubt and condescending words thrown from mouths of the ignorant and even the long-standing members. Her heart aches within her chest for a moment. Onni knows that she does not live here for the company of the inhabitants. She lives her because of the God of the Sun. She lives here out of attatchment to those gone missing: Voltaic, Azzuen, and now Kri. Whatever else happens, the land is sacred, even if those who tread upon the sands have no particular meaning to her.

Thus, the talk of alliances piques her interest. The shaman listens quietly, thinking of the Foothills from the perspective of a bystander. She had never visited the land of the Earth God, had met few from their ranks, even in the beginning when Gossamer had held the crown. Now, though, it seems that many are quick to give opportunity to those who strike against their allies. The Illuminant finds it strange, for even under new leadership, do their warriors not hold the same faces as the invaders? The same names? The same hearts? She frowns.

"We have strong friends," a calm statement and one for thought. "The World's Edge has plenty of warriors, and the Asylum fought bravely during our invasion. We do not need more friends, but the Foothills is not as lucky as we." Her sky eyes look toward Midas, since Gaucho was deferring the decision toward him from the sounds of it.

"Our allies proved themselves friends by aiding us when we needed them. What has the Foothills done? They have attacked the World's Edge; they had proven to hold no loyalties except to payment.
"Even under a new lead, the followers are still the same. After all, in the absence of my mother, we did not change our hearts.
"We also risk damaging our alliance with the World's Edge by creating ties with their attackers. We should not risk losing one friend for another."

Meraki Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I remember him very well.

I remember him standing on a hill with his army gathered around him – and only his army. I remember the steady beat of wings, and her high-pitched, murderous little giggles. It was that I remembered the most, her giggles, her little-girl laughter (oh, we will have so much fun!) and how she was the only friend I ever had in that forsaken place.

I remember the thrill of adrenaline, and the chase, and the mad flight through the dark.

The hiss of scales…

They were gathered and there was talk of war and peace and so much – friendships and alliances. It’s refreshing after the madness that was there, the deadness of it, to find these horses gathered, talking plans, the dissension in their ranks, even.

I was not one of them. Maybe one day I would be.

Maybe one day the sun would rise in a shower of gold, but I knew it would not happen. I knew very well that I would never, ever belong anywhere and yet I watched them from my distance, their arguments about allegiance and the like, such trivial, normal affairs, after everything. Or, at least, they seem normal. Not being one of them, I could not possibly know. Certainly they have their own tragedies and dramas and there seemed to be signs of dissension among the ranks, but goodness knew about what.

Maybe one day I would know.

But then, probably not.

I watched them from a distance, close enough to be seen – I was invited to rest, not exactly to join them – but far enough to only hear snatches of conversation here and there. Gaucho was among them, which was nice, and so was Onni, the only two of them I knew and could – I thought – somewhat trust, so I watched them the most.

Meraki.

“I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.”
— T. S. Eliot

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I listened to their response, remaining silent for a long while to hear what they might say on the matter. Many of the herd seemed relieved to have something other than the sore topic of Leader to focus on. Those few that did give their opinion were of a mind to have The Foothills prove themselves further. Onni was of a mindset similar to that of her brave mother; a set that had kept us thriving for thus long. But, there was no reason to make enemies when you could have a lent hand instead. They hadn’t betrayed us; only fired a few shots—like a youngling teasing a falcon’s nest right before the mother strikes. Might we show mercy and educate the group toward a wiser creed?

“We will remain neutral, and see if they are indeed worthy of forgiveness and trust. Let their actions stand judgment in these coming months.”

With that said, things were pretty much wrapped up. Fina hummed quietly, approving my drawn out speech and methods of handling. Tapping one forehoof against the golden plate they sat, “This gathering is over, return to your work.” Thankfully, it was over now. Guacho was my second, our herd finally had an Oracle; perhaps my choices would herd us closer together—but there was always a spare chance that they could drive us further apart. Ah, the joys of living within a family. In the distance there is an unfamiliar figure standing by, watching the congregation unfold. I offer said stranger a glance, he is new likely, untested in our ways. With a bidding nod I spread my wings and took off toward the border. There was still patrolling and recruiting to be done; the life of a soldier was never complete.

OOC: MEETING IS OVER! YAY!

No most posting is needed! Thanks for your participation guys!
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]