the Rift

[PRIVATE] Gossamer Tears

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

How he felt for the october lass was still a mystery, but Kaj had severed the connection between his mind and heart years ago when his baby sister had died. It had been too many seasons since he'd last known love as anything deeper than kinship. But there was a tremor, a dull chord of a broken instrument that thrummed through him whenever Evangeline would look up at him with those intensely beautiful emerald eyes, a memory of a song he had forgotten the lyrics to resurfacing every time she came around. Walking beside her, old habits began to emerge as he slowed his gait for her, gazing down upon her little frame and seeing in her the ghost of the love he'd held for Aniela. There was the desire to protect her, to cradle her betwixt his wings and breathe his love into her soul, until the chill of her sorrows was washed away. Until she was illuminated with the happiness he could see hidden inside, as beautiful as she undoubtedly could be with a sincere state of joy occupying her.

A soft murmur of truth escapes her lips, and he chides himself for staring. Even still, his heart feels oddly...pained? No, it is not pain he feels, but something archaic and familiar all at once. Stepping closer, he allows the thick feathering of his wing to descend upon her slighter frame. She feels so frail in his hold, but Kaj knows she is laced with titanium, and refuses to underestimate her. Instead, he confusedly enjoys the feel of her small frame against his own, tucking the ends of his wing towards her flank to shield her from the chill. Whatever words he could have conjured withered on his tongue, unsure what to ask. Was she comfortable? But he did not want to pressure her, though a majority of him was also wondering how it could be considered pressuring. Yet something old and dusty whispered that this was a moment of change, and he had to tread lightly.

Fumbling tongue and hesitant lips conjure up the word, and he fondly regards her. His language is sweet and naive on her tongue, a rosebud where it was supposed to be a gurgling creek. Far too sugared for his language, but to hear it had an undoubtedly profound effect on him. Perhaps the same even as she, when he was the one to speak it. A chuckle vibrates in his chest, deep and amused like a summer thunder storm. "At least he hails me with a name that does not glorify my rear end," he chuckled, pale azures glittering with amusement. Though he was embarrassed to admit that speaking of their own relationship was something he enjoyed more than anything concerning Tallis. He was overwhelmingly curious about the damsel and what composed her.

"We make each other better," he stated softly, as if it were irrefutable fact. With a man like Kaj, it was likely the truth. Should someone approach and tell him otherwise in that moment, it would undoubtedly lead to Kaj crushing their viewpoints. He simply could not be convinced otherwise. It was almost exhilarating, to have such an equal match. Others would be confused by this, seeing as Kaj effectively dwarfed the mare at his side, but he loved her for her mind more than her battle prowess.

Loved.

Oh by the Gods. Surely he felt only brotherly love for her? But he couldn't withhold a shuddering swallow of nerves to see her lilting smile, the gleam of her moss green gaze. He kicked and shoved it into the corner of his mind, refusing to address that just yet, especially after their conversation had started with the topic but concerning another mare. Even so her words breathed warmth into his heart, and he leaned down to press his lips to the soft space below her closest ear in a kiss of gratitude. "To hear that from you...it is a compliment equal to that of the Gods, mijn leliemeisje. I hope I will do well enough to uphold that thought for seasons to come." It was murmured into her ear, intimate and bared to the bones of his soul. Letting her see what a profound effect and influence she had on him, how deeply her compliments stirred him.

A quirk of a brow at the mention of her friend was all he betrayed. "I would be honored to meet one you deign a friend," he smiled quirkily, that shy boyish smile he didn't often show. As long it is not one of those who hurt you, he growled internally. Her wistful thoughts spoken aloud brought him back from that road they'd just diverged from moments ago in conversation. "Were it in my ability to give you that chance, I would," the king assured; it was not often he deemed others worthy of that sort of freedom, of which he so selfishly loved and indulged in. But if anyone was to experience it and treat it with the respect a non-pegasi could normally not imagine, it would be Evangeline.

Tugging her subtly closer, he led them onto the deer trails, not wanting to share her with anybody else so soon. "Would you like to learn my language, leliemeisje? We could converse privately, inspire jealousy in our herdmates," he joked, a wink crossing his handsome face at the jest, even as the offer was more than serious. The thought of sharing something so private with her...it made his insides tremble.

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

It was not something that Evangeline had not heard before, but it was a concept that she had not thought about since she had ruled the Woodlands with Roanne at her side. When they worked together they had been a force to be reckoned with, nearly unstopable in their goal of providing a safe haven for those escaping persecution of other herds. She had been nieve, then, thinking that nothing would ever come between herself and Roanne. She had been wrong, had lived and learned, and found herself thinking that Kaj might end up being as dear to her as Roanne had been. Part of her rebelled against the idea because Roanne had allowed his judgement to be clouded by a single mare and because of that their partnership and friendship had suffered. In the end she had been angry with him more often than not. The other part of her knew that she needed friends despite her hesitance. "We do." She agreed, her voice quiet. Maybe her earlier thinking was wrong. Maybe she could be friends with Kaj. But nothing more. Anything more than friendship would only hurt her, him, and Kahlua and she did not want to be the source of their pain.

Her heart felt like it shuddered in the cavern of her chest and butterflies errupted in her stomach as Kaj whispered in her ear then pressed his muzzle against the tender spot below it. She could not suppress the shiver that rippled through her body and it frustrated her that she could not control her emotional state or her bodily reactions. It was only a matter of time before Kaj realized that it was him that was making her shiver and shudder. What would he think? Would he suspect that she had told him it sounded like he didn't love Kahlua because she didn't want them together? That couldn't be farther from the truth.... could it? No, she wasn't underhanded and untrustworthy. She spoke honestly because she believed that he deserved an equal chance at happiness even if that happiness wasn't with Kahlua. Or herself. Stop.

"I would be honored to meet one you deign a friend."

Kaj's voice was a welcome interruption to her own thoughts and because of that Evangeline breathed a sigh of relief. "Roanne was my first friend." She murmured. She had been nearly two years old when she'd found him in the Isilme equivalent of the Threshold. Had she really been so pathetic that it had taken her that long to make a friend? "I didn't have many friends growing up." She voiced her thoughts. "He was very precious to me even if we didn't get along all of the time. I hoped to find him here, but its been so long since we escaped Isilme..." Maybe he died there fighting the shades so they could escape. The thought was like a knife twisting in her side because she knew it was a very real possibility.

Eva glanced up at Kaj when he asked if she would like to learn his language to converse privately. "I don't believe inspiring jealousy within your herd is wise." She knew he was only joking but the possibility was very real. The last thing she wanted was to be singled out for speaking in another language with Kaj. The paranoid part of herself was already wondering when the herd would begin to talk about how much time the two of them spent together. "But I would like to learn your language, if only so I don't have to ask for translations everytime you speak it."

"."

Credits

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

There was something oddly resigned in Evangeline's voice when she agreed with him, but though Kaj looked down on her with an expression akin to worry, he was careful not to intrude on her private thoughts. Evangeline was a rather secluded type, who seemed to value the sanctity of her own thoughts and memories. Kaj was not so insensitive as to push her to reveal her innermost workings. Instead he hummed in response, enjoying the brisk caress of the cold winter wind on his face. Enjoying the warmth of Evangeline's presence beside him, the texture of her skin as he pressed his lips to her jaw. She shuddered beneath his wing, and he frowned as he pulled away, tightening the grasp he had on her and flaring the feathers to cover more of her skin. Was she not used to such frigid weather? Growing up on a tundra, Kaj was more than comfortable with the dropping temperatures, but Evangeline was far smaller than he. Or was it something else? Did she find his touch repulsive?

He shares her validation well enough, distracted by the words as similarly as she had been by his. As she spoke so tenderly of a stallion he could not name, he was quietly overtaken by an emotion he had no experience with, a beast of burden that snarled and glared from his eyes at an invisible form that was likely not even on the peninsula. Jealousy? But why would Kaj summon up the envious monster as Evangeline spoke? What was held in her words that Kaj so desired to be traced back to his own relationship with her? Why was this Roanne fellow such a threat to him, when Kaj had never even laid eyes upon him before?

Clinging to a word he did not recognize, he gracefully stepped round a protruding root, edging closer to Evangeline inconsequentially. Or so he liked to believe. "Isilme? Is that the name of your previous home?" He so desired to learn everything about the mare beside him, and though Kaj liked to believe it was because she was an invaluable asset and friend to him, he knew with an odd sinking feeling of slowly budding realization that it was no such thing. Though she was on the right path of his mind, through a different topic perhaps, jealousy brought into verbal conversation.

"You see something I cannot, mijn leliemeisje. It is a symbol of friendship, one I would grant to those who desired to know my language and form a stronger bond with me. But I doubt many would desire such. Why should they be jealous when it is their own actions that prevent them from achieving it?" But he would abide her, carefully telling himself that she was not intending to reject him or be cruel in any way by refusing to learn his home language. Only for her to apparently refuse her own thoughts, claiming she truly did want to learn, and pleasure bloomed plainly on Kaj's face. "I'm very glad," he crowed softly, feathers rippling with delight against her side in a very conspicuous manner. "Is there anything in particular you would like to know?" For he would definitely sate her own personal curiosity far before engaging in any formal lesson.

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

"Yes." Evangeline murmured as the King questioned the name of her previous home. "I was born in Isilme and I grew up there as an orphan." She did not like to delve into her past, but she could feel Kaj's curiosity about her previous home. "It was divided up onto herd lands much like Helovia is. The equines made their home in the Oasis, unicorns in the Moonlit Tides. The pegasus lived in the cliffs and a mixture of the three species lived in the Mystic Woodlands." She looked to Kaj to make sure he was still following her. "When I was young Adalwulf was the equine leader. He was little more than a warlord and he drove the unicorns from their home in the Tides and made them all outcasts. The first battle I witnessed was when the unicorns regrouped and fought to take their home back. The first death I saw was in that battle." She remembered how scared she had been, how her body had quaked with fear and how desperately she had wished for a mother or a father to turn her away and hide her eyes. To tell her that she would be safe, that everything would be okay, but she'd had none of that.

"I ran away." Her eyes had lifted to gaze up at the treetops as she remembered the fighting. "And I ended up in the Mystic Woodlands. I made my home there, but I stayed hidden away from the herd for most of what was left of my childhood. I spent time trying to make friends, but I never was any good at it. When I wasn't doing that I tried searching for my parents, but I was never able to find them." Tallis cooed softly to Eva as she spoke of her trouble childhood. "I don't remember exactly what happened, but a unicorn stallion found me and took me in, but he disappeared after a short time, too. There was a blackout, or something. I remember talking to him one minute and waking up the next and him being gone. It was after that that I finally, officially, joined the herd. I met Ruske and became friends with him. The phoenix god chose him to be the Woodland's healer and told me that if I had the potential for it. After Ruske left I did become healer before I was nominated to be leader along with Roanne." Even that had been bitter sweet for her, but that seemed to be the theme of her life.

There was so much more that she could tell him of her life in Isilme. She could tell him of the Crusaders and their foolish desire to bring peace through war. Or how the Woodland herd was thought to be monstrous cannibals, not worthy of continuing to live. The times she'd been stolen away from home because the same ones that believed everyone in the woodlands were cannibals believed she was in danger. Instead she decided on the shades. "I would not be here if I was not forced to leave Isilme." She admitted. "I would probably still be living in my tree in the Woodlands." Content. Happy. "But the spirits of the dead came back to life and were continuously attacking those of us that still lived. The last I remember of Isilme was the water being red with blood, bodies slashed to pieces littering the ground on the only exit route. Every time I hear the rustle of leaves, sometimes even feathers, I remember the shades and their red, red eyes." The last memories she had of her home were tainted with blood and hatred and it made her sick to her stomach because, in her own way, she had loved Isilme.

It is a symbol of friendship, one I would grant to those who desired to know my language and form a stronger bond with me. But I doubt many would desire such.

He was probably right. "Not everyone likes to exercise their minds, Stormcloud." Evangeline quipped, grateful for the change in subject because she did not think that she could continue speaking of Isilme any longer despite Kaj's blatant curiosity. "But I will try to be the best pupil. You'll just have to forgive my butchering of your language." She looked to the king and smiled. At least she smiled until he asked her what she wanted to know how to say. "I don't know. Why don't you teach me to say something and then tell me what it means?" She suggested

"."

Credits