the Rift

[DROP] Catch a falling star

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei laughed at her friend's facial expression as a result of the biting cold of the snow. Some of her black spots sported a light dusting of white from what Africa had nosed her way. "Maybe the snowball fight wasn't the best of ideas, but it certainly did wake me up!" Smiling broadly the pegasus was thankful for her friend's willingness to give her idea a go. Wondering what they would finally settle on Rei listened intently each time that one of the gathered spoke.

"I think that is a wonderful idea!" Rei could barely manage to keep words from gushing forth. There were few things that she loved more than to hear, or to tell a story. Luckily for the others gathered she was somewhat preoccupied by the strange tingling sensation that left her lips numb. Who would have thought that snow would be so cold? If she couldn't still see the Rei would have questioned if her lips were still there. "As she has said, Rei gestured towards the overo mare wishing that she knew her name, If each of us told a story, we could incorporate whatever we think makes us worthy. "

She hesitated before speaking again, not wanting to mar the idea. "I really like the story telling idea. But, what if; in case someone isn't a great story teller we partnered up? One could tell their story while their partner finds a way to add to the tale?" Frustrated with her inability to make her idea clear she huffed. "There would still only be one winner but it could even the chances out. We could be considered based off of not only our story but also the amount of effort that we put into trying to bring our partner's story to life."

Remembering the young stallion's words she addressed him next, "Annabelle seems like quite a special gift." A laugh rumbled from deep within her at the sight of the Cerndyr's obvious delight at her bonded's words. Rei would bound for joy herself if another spoke of her in such high regards. But still, Rei cocked her head to the side observing the stallion. "I am not sure that I would feel right having another sit out on such an opportunity. Although a non-biased judge would be great to have I hope that you will still take participating into consideration. What do you think Annabelle?" Although she knew there would be no answer Rei delivered the last question to the fawn with a gentle smile.

Word Count: 419

Summary: Rei likes the story telling idea. But she worries that everyone may not be good story tellers, in an effort to level the playing field she puts the idea that they could partner up and one partner could find a way (besides telling the story, or interupting) to make the telling better. That way the winner could be judged on their story and the work that they put into trying to make their partner's story better.
x - x
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Others began to speak up at last.

A horned and winged stallion caused her to pause, to consider the blessings she had already been given in life – Silas the greatest of them, lessons to shape her by way of times tougher than most here would ever know, the gift of flight when her own ridiculous naivety had let it be robbed. There were so many to count, to name and remember, that she lost track standing there, eyes glazed as her concentration strengthened. With all of the anxious moments, the suffering and the hopelessness, Africa had been touched in one way or another by kindness. She thought of Midas who had taken her to safety from the Threshold, of Helena and Smoke the very reason air filled her lungs to date, of Cirrus who had visited her unquestioningly (the tenderness of Sun siblings, though strangers they had mostly been).

So what could Africa truly have needed from a gaseous orb with a wicked sense of humour – a gift like it called itself...

Nothing. She supposed then that she wanted it because that was the natural excessiveness of this culture. The brow-line beneath golden dragons furrowed as she considered her greed (not that she had asked for it yet to be hers).

By then another was speaking, the black and white mare the Starry-Eyed had met in passing one or two times, if even that. She glanced through the moody lighting towards the voice, eyes adjusting now and finding themselves better adapted to the midnight hour; to the eerie glow around them, reflecting off the snow. The idea voiced drew quickly the dappled mare’s attention, interest piquing beneath the forward tip of eager ears. It was brilliant, harmless! She took a step forward enthusiastically, carefully though all the same so that she did not stray too far from her roan-pelted company.

Rei agreed and soon voiced that opinion to Africa’s delight.

“I really like it too,” she revealed with an expanding smile. “Everyone here has history. Share whatever you will, this really needn’t be a competition. Just think of it as a yarn around the campfire....” Eyes fell from the intriguing black and white face to where a basket was nestled into the snow. Africa had not realised the common-interest shared between she and the painted Equine – she didn’t even remember Kahlua’s name. Meanwhile, a soft giggle spilt passed curved lips, enjoying the reference she’d made to the fire adorning her locks even if nobody else cared.

She waited then, unsure if she should simply begin, or hold off so perhaps the painted mastermind could lead off with a tale of her own.

Words: 421
Summary: Africa agrees that the storytelling is a fantastic idea. She waits, unsure if she should begin.

Image | Table by Silk

Rhea Posts: 110
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
nickel

Looking around at the others that had begun to gather a shred of doubt began to creep up onto the fae's mind. With this many here there was a slim chance she would ever be chosen for this "gift" as it claimed to be. Singing? Dancing? Those were so up her alley...not. What was this some party? The idea of the current suggestions was bewildering if not absolutely crazy. Eyeing the orb curiously for another moment she huffed softly coming to the conclusion that if she wanted to have a chance she needed to socialize with the other inhabitants that had shown up. Easing herself down to the ground her legs sunk into the snow sending a shiver through her spine. Ok perhaps it was colder than she had originally thought. Tucking her wings neatly at her sides she turned to face the crowd standing about chattering between themselves about the ideas.

None of the suggestions that had come up so far seemed fitting in the slightest. How was a bunch of games supposed to decide on who should get the gift? This was all just child's play if you asked her. Resisting the urge to storm into the group and call them all a bunch of idiots she stood back trying to figure out how this could work. So far many of the faces that had shown seemed to know each other which put her at a disadvantage as she knew nobody. Well besides the spotted pegasus that had met her at the threshold if that counted as knowing anyone. Yet again she was considered the outcast that never mattered. Nobody would nominate her as being worthy of the gift when they had friends that were socially better candidates.

"It may not be a question of who is worthy of being given this gift but rather who is best suited and most capable of being given such an opportunity." She commented when there was a minute of silence for her to chip in her two cents. They could interpret the comment how they liked but in her mind the gift should be given to the individual that was best suited to receive it. Looking around each and everyone of them had something already that she did not so why should she not be considered worthy. They all had friends, family, companions, magical gifts galore but what did she have? Nothing.

She would not say the words aloud but when you considered the amount she had lost coming here and from life in general shouldn't she be the one to receive something? Throwing snowballs, telling stories and all that what did that really prove? That you could get along well with others?
In a perfect world that might be fine and dandy but in today's society nobody was perfect so there would always be someone left out. " Whatever we decide on should be something that will not favor one individual over another. The winners would all have the advantage over the losers but does winning really mean that one is worthy and another is not?

Summary: Rhea is not pleased with having to decide on how to determine ones worthiness. She points out that there is no way that will be completely fair to everyone.

•• TAGS: •• NOTES: ••
Picture Credits
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Please Tag Rhea In All Threads
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Biru Posts: 33
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3 Hands :: 3 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Annabelle :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Adoptable
Biru
But still, even when he offered to step out, they were all bickering in their own way. He did think it nice that some offered to keep it fair, but nothing was being resolved. Biru shrugged, and listened some went with stories, others disagreed. Biru sighed, exasperated at the fact that this was going no where. Women... He thought, not even thinking about Annabelle's presence. She leaned in, and pushed hard into his barrel, attempting to remind him, that she too was a woman.

But, he spoke up as other disagreed. "Honestly, this is going no where. If we want to agree on something, just do it. I'm willing to be a judge, for i'd rather this be resolved than something bad befall us because we can't decide. In the scheme of things, nothing is fair. Fairness is something that just does not exist. Someone isn't good at this, and someone isn't good at that. Something just needs to be decided upon. The story isn't a bad idea, so I suggest we all throw something out their quickly, and then make a decision. Time is a wasting, and we don't know how much time is left." He stopped, looked around and shrugged. "I suppose i'll go first. A little story about my mother I guess." He took a deep breath and began, not listening or caring if the others followed or gave input. They were running out of time. "I haven't lived here my whole life, in fact, I lived with an adopted mother most of her life. All I remember from my mother is flaming hair, crystalized hooves, and a white dragon. I don't even know her name. Lia adopted me after finding me not to far outside of the Helovian boarders. She trained me in the ways of an assassin, my skill sets are mainly warrior based. It was a cruel first couple of years, but upon my release from camp, I returned here. Right after my arrival, I won a race, winning the egg which contained Annabelle. Other than that, my life has been relatively normal. I'm seeking guidance in what to do with my life, and where I want to go. The only thing I know now is my skill sets will be used as a warrior, I am trained to protect, and that is all I know." He said with a shrug. It was short, sweet and to the point. A story about himself, which most of the world probably did not care to hear.

[ooc:// Biru gets a little fed up and just tells his story.

Dark x Shock || Can electrify the shadows of others. Causing burns or paralysis (admins, if won, can let me know on any restrictions).]

Smoke & Mirrors
Image Credit

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Kiara sat staring up at the glowing blue orb as it bounced around in the slight arctic wind waiting for something to happen. Rather than staring like many of the others who had gathered around the praetor chose rather to gaze around to see who all had been drawn by the same object. Oddly enough it seemed to be many of the warmer climates that were drawn up here to speculate as to what this orb was. Those who naturally inhabited the cold tundra seemed to be missing on this night. Either that or he just did not see any of them half blinded by the brightness of the snow.

Lifting his head as the orb spoke in its childish way he pondered the statement that had been given. A gift? They must choose? Well that would be a challenging task as many of them could easily be worthy of such a gift. It did not seem fair to ask them all to come up with one candidate surely there had to be something else this task entailed that lay hidden within the words but what could it be? As the others began speaking of the many potential games and challenges to determine one's worth he chose to say little as he contemplated the options.

" Africa, I do like your idea about drawing feathers. It would make things even for everyone to get a fair chance but who would be the one to arrange them evenly and be left out?" He finally commented after many moments of consideration. Looking around once again his eyes settled on Kiara as an idea jumped to mind. "What about if we leave it up to our companions to arrange the task? It would mean that everyone would get a chance to be included. Say we chose to do it this way we would not be involved with our own companions but someone else's so there would be no favoritism."

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

••WORDS: •• TAGS: •• NOTES: ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Transfixed Rei listened to the first story to be told. Sorrow filled her heart for the stallion. A child lacking the memories of the warmth of a mother's love left a cold gaping hole in a memory. Immediately she decided that she liked the stallion. Anyone who had faced a cruel beginning but kept a soft heart that he showed towards the fawn was one with true heart.

"In my homeland, cruel hearts run rampant. If you were not born with a certain coat color you were deemed to be less important, and in some cases worthless.

Children do not see the world in black and white though, for them the world is vibrantly colored. To them there is no black and white to dull the lightness in the world.

As a child I had a friend, Deryk. He was a cremello putting him into the highest class possible while I was on the very bottom. As children the difference in our standings didn't occur to us. But as we grew in age suddenly he began to change.

Whenever we played hero and bandit it was I who was suddenly always the bandit. Always. He insisted that it was because of my facial marking and its likeness to a mask, and for a while I believed him. But he began to avoid us being seen together in public that wasn't a game.

The day came where he was a part of the crowd that looked down on me. My best friend, and might I add, first crush; now spat degrading words at me along with his new friends.

On my fourth birthday Deryk ambled back into my life. He wore the same old crooked grin that I remembered from before. He showed me where he had dyed his spotless ivory coat a deep ebony color. He had placed the dye right over his heart to represent the blackness that he had allowed to make home there. It had knocked him from his high status and he was not bothered. Instead he began a group to combat against the ideals of the pegasi with wicked hearts.

It was my first experience with heartbreak, but also my first taste of hope that I gained for my home. If he was willing to make such a grand gesture surely there would be others to follow his lead.

It is funny how both of those emotions seem to walk hand in hand. With no despair there is no joy; and with no joy there would be no despair.

It is one of my favorite stories about my life because it is one that illustrates that hearts can change, and will change if given a chance."

After telling her story Rei was left with a tear that slid down her speckled cheek to land softly in the snow. How she missed Deryk, she had been so wrapped in her thoughts of her parents since entering Helovia that this was the first time that she had thought of him. She would do anything to know how he was. "Crazy the emotions a story can bring forth, huh?

Quietly Rei listened to the unicorn's suggestion. This was not a situation that any of them seemed to be moving ahead in. Stealing a glance at the stallion who had told the first story, she wondered what he thought about the lack of progress.

Looking up she wondered what the visiting orb thought of the chaotic jumble below it. Would it let them know what it desired for them to do? Or was it enjoying the spectacle?

Word Count: 598 -Wipes brow- Edited that just enough to make it work.

Summary: Rei tells her own story. Slowly she is analyzing the personalities of those gathered. After telling her story she goes quiet wondering if the rest will tell stories also or if there will be some new idea set forth.

x - x
Magic usage is okay.

Deceased
There was mention by the Unicorn stallion coloured the same, that the idea of pulled feathers was one he liked. As others began to tell their stories, grim tales that struck a chord with her heart mostly, she turned her gentle expression around so that lips could access flaring flight feathers – the primary ones her immediate preference. Any watching would see that there were ten, all varying in length, all perfectly clean and black. She plucked them carefully, one by one with barely a wince (it was a destructive behaviour sown deep through her frail personality), and placed them in sequence upon the wet snow by her hooves. When all had been removed (they served no purpose anyhow), the wing closed snugly back beside her flank, misshapen, unsightly.

Silas, she called through their bond, ignoring his very visible horror and the startled clack of his hooked beak. ... Please gather them together in your talons, roll them with quills facing out so that none may see which they are choosing. The Roc did just as she wished, carefully, respecting those glorious gifts that had seconds before been filled with her very blood. After collecting them between eight sharp, raptor-like claws, Silas fluttered to perch back on the mare’s concave back with the feathers beneath, and she began quietly to walk through the group.

“Take one,” she smiled warmly as she passed each by. “I will sit out; I have many gifts already in my life.” Allowing the quills to be taken, Africa’s bonded loosened his powerful grip, and when silence (brief or deliberate) fell across them, she began to tell a tale close to her heart. “Late one Orangemoon, long ago, there was a unicorn mare as pale as snow. Few knew of her, few remember her. She led a pegasus north into the wilds, a dangerous journey for a foolish child – well-meaning, and credulous. The echo of a leader echoed through the young mind of the winged, though she could not abandon the newest of their family, would never forsake the loyalty that clan had shown to her.

They came upon a northern world, frozen, guarded by creatures as bitter and cruel as the land they inhabited, and it was upon that doorstep that the agitator, the ghost-white mare’s troublesome plan came undone. Her tongue was wicked, her mind still worse, and she infuriated the gate’s keepers faster than anything the pegasus had ever seen before – the gravity of the situation became quickly apparent. That night, by the hand of terrible black-magic, the unicorn drew her last breath, and her imprudent herd-sister was taken prisoner, a lamb in a lion’s den. Her punishment was pitiless, the bones in her wings shattered; though still worse was the macabre monster that severed one wing completely. It was a longstanding hatred between them, but he finally won his prize. Nearly a season later came two stallions, wraiths through the night, and they stole away the prisoner to safety.

The broken bones were mended, wounds were healed, but naught could be done to retrieve the lost limb. To this day she prays both for forgiveness and of the boundless thankfulness she feels – because she still breaths to this day.”
She knew not whether they’d all been taken, but the gesture was the fairest of those ideas put forward, and Africa slipped by the last face and returned to the side of the only mare who had visited her when the scars were still fresh.

“Keep them,” she smiled tenderly, “Everyone takes a gift home tonight.”

Words: 598
Summary: Africa pulls the primary flight feathers from her wing and Silas collects them, rolling them so they are mixed. She declares that she will not take part in the feather activity, and walks between the group allowing each horse a chance to take one from the zephyr’s talons. All the while she is telling a story of her own, before finally returning to stand beside Cirrus.

salsolastock | uplifting-stock | two-ladies-stocks
foxyfirewings & larfsalot @deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
The sudden anger from the stallion who had previously offered to sit out was both surprising and alarming to Kahlua. It seemed they had come to a gentle conclusion about what tasks might serve them best, but the stallion seemed frustrated by the slow progress. For her own part, Kahlua had rather liked the (mostly) amiable conversation that had ensued at the request of the strange, still floating light orb. But since it seemed that he had taken the conversation forward with him, Kahlua listened kindly and watched while Africa began to pluck each feather from where it belonged in her lone wing.

And indeed, Africa wove quite a tale as she finished her circle, Kahlua taking a feather when it was her turn and nodding kindly to the gray woman in thanks. When Africa’s circle had finished, Kahlua began by addressing the Starry-Eyed. “Take the last one, you had no choice in which was left anyways,” she said, choosing to ignore Biru in case he might burst out with some objection or another again. And since it seemed like nobody else was taking this opportunity to speak, Kahlua decided to voice her own story- one quite the opposite of Africa’s, as it was a tale of sadness turned to joy, instead of the other way around.

“You’re in a cathedral,” she began, eyes drifting off into the darkness beyond the little group as she tried to conjure up the memories. “Huge, stony, moss-covered. Dark inside and out. It feels… ominous,” she set the scene. “It’s the birth of a prince and a princess, twins, passed from the warmth of their mother to the chill of the stony cathedral floor. They won’t get much love, you can see that already, but they’ll get enough care to keep them alive. The boy, named Fuhrer, will be trained for war. The girl? Left to make her own way in life.

The girl grows older, you watch her do lots of things for the attention and love she was deprived of. You know she won’t be proud of any of them- they’re all things she won’t speak of again- but you also know that she only does them to try and gain the approval of her mother and father. But nothing ever matters to them anyways. At least you can see that Fuhrer loves her, in his own cold way.”
Her voice that had been bright began to grow sad as she weaved herself deeper into her tale.

“You never get the chance to see her get love or respect from her mother and father, though. Her home, the entire land, burns. A fire rages and you watch her as she searches for her twin and other family. She never does find them and at last she runs to save her own hide- a coward, maybe. You follow her as she travels the world for a year, alone, hating what had happened to her, hating what had become of her life.

But you’re in luck, my friends, for not all stories have sad endings. You watch as she reaches a new land full of pegasi and unicorns, magic and wonders she’s never seen or heard of before. You watch as she finds friends and family, she finds the love she never could have had, she finds that happiness that had eluded her.”
She paused for a moment, lowering her eyes to actually look at everyone that surrounded her and she found that it was easy to give a genuine smile as she finished her story. “You watch as she finds a home.”

Summary| Takes a feather when it is her turn, suggesting Africa take the last one as she had no choice anyways, then tells her own story.
Words| 599

Wishlist| [Magic: EarthxShock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
Refusals| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
the sunshower
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

nickel

As only more potential solutions to their problem are procured she sighs with mild annoyance. It was clear that no one had heard her suggestion well asides from the one stallion who seemed to have a conniption over the fact that everything was taking so long. As he stormed his frustration aloud she just rolled her eyes choosing to ignore him all together for anger would serve no purpose on getting something accomplished when there was clearly no action involved. If she had learned anything from her childhood it was that actions always needed to be followed through unless you wanted everyone to look at you as being a coward. On any other day she would have gladly stepped forward to snap the others into line but if she was going to have a chance at receiving this gift she guessed she would need to play nice for a change.

The strange shiny unicorn spoke next suggesting that they just use the feather idea that the one winged pegasus had commented on. While the idea was rather lame in her opinion she figured that it was better than nothing which seemed to be what everyone else was thinking. Gently taking the feather when it was offered to her she grasped it daintily between her teeth eyeing those that others had received. Was hers the longest? Shortest? It was impossible to tell one from another without actually laying them all down to compare sizes. As the black and white mare was offered the last feather she declined offering it instead to its original owner so that she might be included as well. As she listened to them all talk among themselves she gazed up at the orb wondering if this was just all a joke to get them to do stupid things for a laugh.

While the others chose to tell stories about themselves as part of their contribution she decided to remain silent. There was nothing about her life that was worth sharing its not as if anyone would understand. No sense dredging up old history for no reason other than to attempt to gain a favor in who the gift/prize should go to. She had been the one to suggest something fair for everyone yet it seemed that the exact opposite had happened with someone being left out. Maybe if she contributed something to this it may help the cause progress further so that they all would not have to listen to old cranky man again. Reaching around as she extended one of her wings she grasped one of her feathers and yanked it free without so much as a cringe. Pain was something she was accustomed to so something like pulling a feather had no effect on her whatsoever. Stepping forward she held out the black and blue feather towards the one who she guessed was named Africa from what others had said. "Here take this. That way we all have one so no one is left out."

Summary:
Rolls her eyes at Biru's outburst and chooses to not tell her story thinking it is just a waste of breath. Rhea is trying to be on her best behaviour for once and decides to make things fair for everyone (as fair as it can be). Pulls out one of her feathers to offer it to Africa so that she can have a gift as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Rhea wants:
[Shock X Dark] Ability to manifest/create electrical energy from the air around her to shock anyone within 5 feet of herself. Strong emotions such as anger also directly affect the amount of electricity she produces.

Picture Credits
[Image: rhea_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobz.png][Image: rhea_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4q_by_moonstone_...9ggy08.png]
Use of magic and physical contact is allowed with the exception of killing or maiming her.

Biru
Again, nothing seemed to be getting done. Another pegasus, a spotted one offered her own story in response. Biru sighed a little, listening to her tale. It was quite a sad story, and Biru lifted his nose out in comfort towards her as she finished, and Annabelle bleated towards her too, in a comforting manner.

Then, it again came to another freaking standstill. Now, they were all drawing feathers. But, he didn't sit out, for it seemed his opinions were unwanted, so he stood quiet, and as the zephyr came by, reached and grabbed a soft feather from its talons. It felt weird having feather in his mouth, and seven weirder that he really couldn't see it. So he gave up, and stood quietly, looking out at the ground. He almost wondered how these herds were run, if these were the people living within them? He most certainly hoped that none of them were leaders, but, who knew. This place was miles different from his adoptive land. Neither, at this point, seemed to offer him anything.

He was grateful for a little gift, even if he ended up walking away empty handed. Although, it would be much nicer if he knew the mare that gave him it, and why she had one wing. But, it seemed that time was closing in, and they didn't have much of a choice. Annabelle, still stuck on the nice speckled pegasus, attempted to go nudge her shoulder, to get her attention. For some reason, the openness the mare displayed had really gotten to Annabelle. It was making Biru increasingly uncomfortable, but decided that Anna needed to feel her own way to. So, he did as best he could to not filter into her thoughts.

[ooc:// Biru takes a feather, and Anna attempts to capture Rei's attention

Dark x Shock || Can electrify the shadows of others. Causing burns or paralysis (admins, if won, can let me know on any restrictions).]

Smoke & Mirrors
Image Credit

Rei had been eager to listen to Africa tell her story. Had been. Now her black ears tilted away from her friend, as if trying to retreat from the onslaught of the pegasus' words. Words dance together in order to form stories, and some dances Rei did not want to find herself entangled in.

Who would do such a thing? It was a rare emotion for her heart to harbor but it welcomed in a deep loathing for whoever had acted out the dastardly deed described in the story. If Rei ever came across the ones guilty....

Wrought in emotion whenever Africa reached the leopard pegasus it took all she had in her to accept the feather. How could Africa find the heart to give her feathers to perfect strangers whenever so many had been wrongfully stolen from her?

Rei looked at the feathers Silas held before her. Smiling a smile that she hoped didn't betray her somber thoughts she picked her feather from those left. It was a little bent, and slightly ruffled; but it still held tightly to its beauty. It had apparently seen some rough days, but still retained its splendor. The feather reminded her too much of her friend for her to let anyone else touch it.

Rei was woken from the melancholy shock that had overcome her by the young cerndyr, Annabelle. The fawns wet nose had grazed her shoulder. The pegasus' gaze softened, immediately she felt her mood lift. Africa was okay and now led a wonderful life. It would be silly for her to mourn a story that ended happily.

Carefully Rei placed Africa's feather down holding it in place with her hoof. Glancing at the cerndyr's bonded she looked at him for approval in interacting with Annabelle.

Regardless of her species Annabelle was still a child. Wincing slightly Rei pulled a loose feather from her wing. Smiling she offered it to the fawn, now she could feel as if she was part of the events.

"Friends?" She wasn't sure if the word would be understood but she did want Annabelle to know how much she appreciated the visit. Her attention temporarily waned from the orb and the group's debating. Thus far it was going nowhere and in playing with Annabelle she felt lighter at heart than what she had felt in some time.

Word Count:

Summary:

Rei listened to Africa's story with a heavy heart. She takes one of the feathers from the group by choosing the most scraggly one, although still pretty.

Annabelle's attention brought her back to the present and she offered a feather of her own to the cerndyr so that the fawn could feel as if she was participating also. Momentarily her attention moves from the debate and the star while she plays with Annabelle.

x - x
Magic usage is okay.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Ciceron has been disqualified for failing to post a summary. Chisel and Zunden have been eliminated for failing to post.

The Orb waited, watched, and listened. It did not respond to any questions directed its way: for now, it had said all that it would. The rest, was up to them.

Still, it appeared interested. As snow was thrown and stories told, the orb wavered in its opacity and hue, as if responding unconsciously to the actions taking place below. The glow it cast increased as the group's discussion continued, and a warming breeze gently wafted through the barren night.

When all was said and done, stories told and feathers plucked, the orb grew brighter.

"So. Who has the winning feather?"

You have 48 hours to respond.

Deceased
It seemed Africa had pulled feathers surplus to their requirements. One by one each of them selected a wing feather, most said nothing – whether they appreciated her benevolence remained a mystery – but a couple motioned gratefully enough, even insisting that she not sit apart from the activity but take one also for herself. She had smiled kindly at Rhea, touched by the mutual show of generosity, but insisted nonetheless, that the dark, patterned hybrid keep it for herself; so too was she warmed by the black and white Equine mare’s request that she keep the last to participate. As it was, there were many left over.

Please, will you place the spare feathers in my bag? She asked Silas in silence, gentle gaze dancing back to find the zephyr still perched with partly spread wings upon her back. He pulled one free from his talons, sliding from her skin towards the snow where he proceeded to place her token, and then fluttered upwards to stash the rest loosely (so as not to crush them), in the satchel by her left elbow. When they were put away, the bird came to rest once more on her back and a warming breeze caressed her quivering hide.

She stepped forward, finding the centre of the group and lay her feather down in the snow. “Perhaps so we don’t lose track of our own feather, come and stand beside me in the order which they are set down. The shortest feather will be the winner,” Africa suggested quietly, watching them, cast in the wavering light of the watching orb. She drew a breath, excitement bubbling through her mind – even if only to find out which of them had picked the smallest of the flight feathers taken.

Words: 292
Summary: Africa takes one for herself and puts the extra away in her bag. She steps forward and places her feather in the middle of the group on the snow, and suggests that they line up beside her in the order that they are put down. She suggests also that the shortest of them is the winner.

ooc: I have asked someone not taking part to roll for this ;)

1. Africa
2. Biru
3. Kahlua
4. Rei
5. Rhea
6. Sheba
7. Cirrus

5 Wins, Rhea has the shortest feather

Dice Roll

salsolastock | uplifting-stock | two-ladies-stocks
foxyfirewings & larfsalot @deviantart
subtlepatterns.com

Biru
Annabelle was still so entranced by Rei. The little being like the smell her, and feel her warm body. She was much more... loving that Biru was. Biru rolled his eyes at her thought, reminding her that he did, on more than one occasion, run off and get her food because she was "too tired to move".

But alas, Rei was still in the top 2 people of her list. The girl reached, and plucked her own feather, and gave it to Annabelle. Anna grabbed for it, with her mouth gently, and pranced around Rei, throwing her feet up happily and snorting with joy. Biru couldn't help but crack a smile, her emotions were so damn enticing!

But, both of their attentions were drawn to the grey mare, who had laid her feather down in the middle. Biru then, with his in tow, gently setting it down beside Africa's. Annabelle was insisting she put hers down too, but Biru chastised her. So she remained indolent, and then trotted beside Rei, trying to offend Biru. He just rolled his eyes and stepped back quietly. At least something was being done, and the star seemed quite interested too.

Biru was actually quite interested to see what would come out of this. Would a star infuse the person with their beloved powers, or would something more grand happen? He was almost more worried about the ending than he was the story. Even Annabelle's curiosity couldn't be curbed by her little bout of pouting, and she kept looking to Biru and the star. She wondered if he touched it, would it take him away? Would she never get to see him again? Well, she supposed that at least she had Rei to follow around if he got taken by martians.

[ooc:// Biru put his feather down next to Africas.

Smoke & Mirrors
Image Credit

nickel

As each of them accepted their feathers in turn she couldn't help but glance back and forth trying to size up the feathers for herself to see if she could spot the longest, or shortest or widest. Come to think about it what was the criteria that they were judging this on? It could be anything from the amount of colour to the size for all she knew. Whatever they were doing seemed to be having some effect on the bouncy orb for it continued to drift back and forth above them. It was a little weird to think that it was somehow watching them and interacting with them. What kind of creature or thing was that small and able of communication?

The curious little companion that seemed to belong to the grumpy stallion seemed thrilled by the experience to participate in whatever was going on. Bouncing here and there it seemed to have taken a liking to the spotted pegasus, Rei. Watching her or for lack of a better term it fool around with the gifted feather was somewhat amusing if not entertaining compared to the rest of the mood drifting from the other participants. When Africa spoke once again her ears pivoted in her direction to see what might be next in this little adventure. As the instructions were given she tried to compile what little information she had seen in her brain now that she had a judging criteria to go one. Was hers the shortest or did she see another with a shorter feather? There was just no way to determine without measuring them.

Tucking her wings back to her sides careful not to accidently whack anyone in the process she reached around to pull one more feather from her plumage. Moving to the opposite side of the single winged pegasus she lay her feather down in the snow as the two prior to her had to wait for the others to follow. She was eager to see the results of this and was hopeful that she could win this with a little luck. As Annabelle danced by she reached forward with one of her wings to brush the silky feathers over her hide to draw her attention. Holding the second feather she plucked still between her teeth she motioned for Annabelle to have it if she wanted. She might as well have a mixed rainbow of coloured feathers instead of just one lone one besides the black and blue would draw out the colours of the spotted one against the white background.

Summary:
Rhea watches Annabelle with curiosity as she steps forward to place her feather on the opposite side of Africa. Plucking one more of her feathers she reaches out to Annabelle trying to brush her soft feathers over her back with her wing. Holds out her feather for Annabelle to have if she would like it.

Rhea wants:
[Shock X Dark] Ability to manifest/create electrical energy from the air around her to shock anyone within 5 feet of herself. Strong emotions such as anger also directly affect the amount of electricity she produces.

Picture Credits

Rei lined her feather up with the rest holding her breath in excitement. There were quite a few feathers longer than hers so far. Although she did feel terribly guilty for being so delighted with the others' loss she was eager to recieve the gift. It wasn't selfishness, it was simply the desire. And if anyone that had gathered tried to say that they wouldn't be at least a little bit jealous of whoever was gifted tonight would be a liar. A green eyed beast apparently lived in them all.

Excitement was dulled by the crushing weight of disappointment. One of the other pegasi had the shortest feather. It was the mare she had greeted in the Threshold. I told her Helovia was a wonderful place to be! Rei thought proudly; there was no way that anyone could disagree.

"She has the shortest feather!" The pegasus' eyes looked from the orb to the mare to the orb again. Back and forth her gaze went unblinking. What would happen next? Would the night's excitement end just as quickly as what it had started? Rei hoped not, somewhat desperately she looked at those around her. Their company had sheltered her from the dark thoughts that had their claws dug deep into her.

Her mounting panic was once again put to rest whenever Annabelle once again joined her. Rei chuckled at the fawn's move, the glance she had cast back upon her bonded told all that needed to be known about the decision of where to stand. Clearly it was meant to bug the stallion but he took it in stride so Rei leaned her weight towards the young cerndyr gently brushing her nose across Annabelle's soft pelt. "You are lucky to have her." The words were directed towards Annabelle's bonded. Absentmindedly she continued stroking wondering what was to come next.

Word Count:

Summary:

Rei announces that Rhea had the shortest feather and strokes Annabelle's back telling Biru that he is lucky to have her before falling quiet wondering what will happen next.

x - x
Magic usage is okay.

KAHLUA
Well, the queen had tried, but it seemed that there would be no peace amongst the group about the story telling. A shame, she had been so excited to hear stories from the others. Regardless, the orb did not seem pleased with the stories either, as it made no mention of the few tales that had been shared. Its command was nothing of tales and histories, but rather of who had the shortest feather. Regardless, she did as the others did and placed hers on the ground with all the rest.

Of course, it would be that hers was one of the longest, instead of the shortest. Her blue eyes turned jealously to Rhea, who she could only assume would subsequently gain the favor of the floating orb. Silently, she snatched the feather back from the ground and returned it to her basket, the action just a little too sudden to be anything but frustration. She had hoped and dreamed this orb might be the answer to her prayers, the giver of magic that she had so long desired. Perhaps today was not her day.

Really, she shouldn’t have been pouting so, as she looked down to her basket. There was an egg settled there, she reminded herself, a lovely gift from the massive owl that had greeted her. But the egg meant responsibility- something she really didn’t want any more of at this point in time. Trying to force a smile onto her face for Rhea, although it was obviously not genuine, she spoke flatly. “Congratulations.” Afterwards, her eyes drifted back out to the darkness, only waiting for the confirmation of the little bobbing light. It was a fitting end for an otherwise depressing day anyways.

Words| 288
Summary| Kahlua places her feather with the others and then takes it back and silently pouts when she realizes that hers was not the shortest.

Wishlist| [Magic: EarthxShock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
Refusals| 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
the sunshower
Image Credit

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady

SHEBA

Your eyes narrow at the mare’s brash response, but you hold your tongue for the time being. The others have suggestions, surely, and it won’t do to pick a fight—the world is a much harsher place to those who are not young and beautiful, you think bitterly. Let the mare think she has won. You’ll see who gets the prize in the end.

Many others offer suggestions, and you observe without another word. Really, will it make a difference as to what you all decide? You wonder. As you’ve learned the hard way, magic is a tricky thing, and you don’t quite trust that this glowing ball will abide by the group decree anyway. When the one-winged mare offers her feathers, you choose yours silently. It is glossy and beautiful; in another time, such a gift would have thrilled you, but you seem to have lost your taste for pretty things. You nibble on the end, biting down rather hard and bending the shaft. Oh, let’s do hope she doesn’t break it! you mock in your head, imagining the horrified faces of the do-gooders who are all, at present, practically swooning over their own feathers. As it turns out, the shaft is fractured when you spit it out, and you eye it with disgust…until you get an idea.

While the others tell stories (some other silly idea—you’ll keep your secrets to yourself, thank you), you work quietly at the feather, hiding in the back of the group. Shortest feather wins, does it? You’ll give them a sort feather all right!

When the time comes to lay down the feathers side by side, you place yours on the ground with a triumphant smile. The end is neatly severed, and you have pulled off some of the soft bit of the feather so that nothing looks amiss at first glance. Perhaps your feather was, in fact, the shortest, but it never hurts to nudge fate along, does it?

Needless to say, when a feather that’s decidedly not your own is announced the shortest, your anger is instantaneous.

Summary: Sheba doesn’t challenge Cirrus; instead she takes one of Africa’s feathers and nibbles off the end to make it appear shorter than it actually is. Exasperated, she also decides not to share a story.

image by shady
Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Cirrus has been eliminated for failing to post within the given time. Congratulations to Kahlua! Only those included in this roll may use this drop as a prior refusal in later drops.

The orb hovered gently above the group, as the winning feather, and its corresponding winner were revealed. Even so, you didn't think it would be decided that simply, did you?

Rei and Africa have been given an extra roll for this drop, for posting the most. Rhea has been given an extra roll for this drop for having the winning feather. Sheba has been given an extra roll for this drop for cheating.

"This one cheated." The orb whispered, hanging innocently above Sheba. "But I liked that she did." Disembodied laughter rained down from the orb, as it gently floated towards Rhea. "You may have had the shortest feather, but life isn't always fair." It offered, drifting further toward Kahlua. "This one knows all about that, don't you? Given a life to care for by the golden winged mouse? What're you going to do when it no longer stays confined inside of its prison? When it crawls out of your basket demanding attention?"

The idea of Kahlua's pain seemed to amuse the orb.

"It's dangerous to go alone. Here, take this."

At the final word, the orb shattered and rained down upon the group causing tiny sparks of electricity to bounce from their coats where it struck. For a moment, Kahlua was encased in a bluey-glowing light, as if her body was radiating from the inside. After a few seconds the light faded.

List, and roll.

KAHLUA
Ah, perhaps the selfish queen pouted too soon, it seemed. While she was busy staring off in the distance, bemoaning her poor luck at once more being denied a light to save her from the darkness that plagued her, the orb was making his rounds from horse to horse, congratulating the ugly old mare for her trickery and Rhea for having the shortest feather. And then it was her turn, though not for congratulations exactly. The orb seemed to mock her and her troubles as it floated it over her, making fun of the fact that she had the egg to take care of. Could it see how much she didn’t want the responsibility?

But finally, it seemed that something would go her way. The orb, though mocking, suddenly showered her with some sort of light that seemed to radiate from within her. The warmth was soothing and the queen suddenly felt her worries pass away, as though she had used her rank magic on herself. “Thank you,” she cooed suddenly, almost bowing her head before she remembered the words of the Lady Moon. Queens do not bow. Oh, how difficult it was for her to follow that command, but at least she was trying.

Instead, a broad smile settled upon her face, her previous pouting quickly forgotten. Indeed, she was quick enough to try out her gift, feeling the magic within her and surely as she could feel her own emotions. “And you,” she said then, her eyes clearly settled on Africa, who had been so kind as to ruin her one remaining wing for the good of this group, “Thank you as well.” Pawing through the snow until she found a rock about the size of a plum, she touched her nose to it, feeling the magic she had been gifted with flow through her. Oh, how good it felt to be a crafter again.

After a few moments, the rock began to glow, a gentle yellow color that lit a 2 or 3 meter area around with its steady beam. “I'm Kahlua,” she added, nosing the rock closer to Africa before stepping back and preparing to gather up her basket, to head back to the warmth of somewhere farther south where she could further contemplate the egg that was waiting to hatch for her and this new gift that had been given to her.

@[Africa]- Just tagging you because it was relevant <3
the sunshower
Image Credit