the Rift

[OPEN] As winter weakens

Fig Posts: 57
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 5.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 :: 20 HP: 56 | Buff: NOVICE
Beluga :: Common Beluga Leviathan :: Bubble Trap Adoptable
Though Fig grew comfortable in her new home, World’s Edge, and began quickly to forge friendships with the creatures that lived through the misty forest around her, she was restless, unable to still her legs while still the whereabouts of her Soul Plant was unknown.

She woke to the tune of birds returning, the joyful chatter and bright song of celebration - the season was slowly beginning to turn and the days rolling by held not the same bitterness of midwinter (or so the Lignea called it). Groggy eyes peeled open to glance by the green pine awning above and they found for the first time since her return, that the swollen clouds had dissolved into the blue of day. A smile almost as brilliant as the morning spilt through her shaggy features. Praise the Gods! she thought cheerfully, stretching stiff limbs to life beneath and the leafy mass upon her shivered with excitement.

The young Lignea moved then naturally, gradually, to bask in the undiluted warmth of the sun, branches twisting through the knotted arms of the forest as she passed beneath, catching, snagging; a difficulty she had been yet to resolve.

There was an exposed pasture nearer to the cliffs (the place she still foolishly thought to be the very end of the world), and though a wet white sheet lay across it, Fig had not this far been able to find any place more open within the fallen glass wall. With a final pull, gently so as not to fracture the delicate timber’s fingers, the young black tree-girl strode at last into freedom and ventured far into the middle so that her own flourishing canopy might revel in the new day and feed off the sun’s lovely rays. She was hungry, though it barely showed beneath thick mats and a heavy coat (certainly her Body Plant absorbed any nutrients it needed firstly), because the cold months did not favour plants, fields and forests - unsurprisingly. She did not graze like the Helovian’s around her, such would be despicable, cannibalistic! The only means she had to feed was by the photosynthesis of sunlight, the shimmering, glossy foliage above; or sipping water frequently, so that she might not starve and wither away like the leaves of last spring.

Drawing a long, deep breath, Fig settled herself down to doze – she would not shun this gift, this feast after so many dreary, grey days – and the melodious banter of gathering birdlife filled her heavy ears.
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death 
(no need to ask)

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Winter may not be the pegasus’ favourite season, but she adored it just the same. This one had been colder than the last that she had seen in Helovia – even in the Edge, which was usually very temperate, there was an extra chill in the air. And a little extra snow on the ground. Snow, as it turned out, fascinated her little owl friend to no end. He loved to burrow into it, flapping his wings and making little Hemlock-shapes in the fuzzy white crystals. He was in such a good mood during the winter, especially for someone who was generally quite the grump.

Today, today he was looking for something. A gift for his bonded. Something for them to do – something to cheer her up. She had been brooding over her conversation with the Moon Goddess, worried about what she was going to have to do. It had seemed so important, that power, but was she going to be able to do what was asked of her? Hurt someone, deny someone healing. It twisted her stomach just to think of it.

So the little flammulated owl wanted to cheer her up. And after a little while, on this warm, late-winter day, he found something. “Found fwiend.” His deep voice spoke firmly into her mind before it was followed by a chorus of hoots. Oh dear! All she could think of was him harassing some innocent horse – likely the first one he found without a dragon. Fearful of how rude he was being she hurried towards his location. “Hemlock!” She shouted before she saw the slumbering mare and the guilt kicked in instantly. “Oh! Oh goodness I am so sorry.” She followed up in a much quieter voice, lingering where she was in the tree-line so she might retreat as quickly as she came. Not that she particularly wanted to retreat, of course – because the mare that she had stumbled across (or, really, who Hemlock had stumbled across) was a fascinating one. The marvels of Helovia would never cease to amaze her. She had once had vines growing amongst her mane and tail and little flowers growing in the feathers on her wings. But never had she once seen a tree growing out of – or on? – the back of someone before. A fig tree too!

Well, her curiosity could wait until the mare had caught up on her sleep certainly so she focused instead on getting Hemlock away as quietly and quickly as possible. Hoping that he hadn’t disturbed this stranger already. “Get over here, you little rascal.” She continued in her quiet voice – glaring half-heartedly at the little owl who hooted happily as he circled the sleeping mare (or once sleeping, at least, if their arrival had put an end to that).

hope you don't mind <3

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Fig
Fond visions clouded the darkness as she descended into sleep, and sunlight, a tender blanket where it fell in dapples across mats of fur and roots the constant balance between this life and that. It was the world of the Lignea, hoofed creatures with a magical connection to nature; to the living, breathing plant life which lived beside them. Swine, deer and horse alike - they each bore the mark of equilibrium; for the Arborun, Fig’s kind, this was old timber and lush canopies of green. There were others though, cave dwellers cloaked in fine moss, frolicking fawns with blossoms blooming on the prongs of glorious antler racks, and even sea-dwellers with gills and coral limbs as vivid as all of the rolling seasons together. Prim’sylva was a place that knew no hardship, days blended together to form boundless years and though the ancient forests did fall in turn, brilliant saplings were born in their place.

As she slept, expression light and blissful, there arrived nearby her a feathered avian of the night and he struck a chorus which split the chilled tranquil morning and sent settling wings dancing for the sky in fright.

Thick lashes fell apart and glossy green eyes whirled to find the small speckled predator and smiling sympathetically the tree-girl crooned, “you will find yourself no breakfast if that is your technique!” Perhaps that was why his size seemed so meagre – it surprised her enormously that his voice called so brightly in contrast. Often in the times before Helovia, Fig spoke at length to wildlife, though never was the conversation coherent like with the trees. Before there was any chance to swivel around her cumbersome frame to address the bird more politely though, another voice burst from the tree line and behind it followed the form of a black faced Pegasus.

Fig shuffled quickly then, seizing the opportunity for company and beamed thoughtfully as she soothed, “Oh no, you need not apologise, I was only resting.” She felt truly that there was no reason for the other’s concern, the Lignea were sociable folk, even-tempered and well meaning. “Come out, come out,” her slow, marvellously sing-song voice insisted, dizzying as she watched for a moment the owl swinging around and around in the air above.

(@[Alysanne], not at all!)

>
Image Credit
(no need to ask)

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
Now that she is safe in the Edge, Nasreen begins to relax a little. Darkness may linger outside its borders, but here with the others, things seem less frightening. As the snow begins to thaw and the wildlife begins to return, the princess decides to go for a walk through the woods. It’s funny; she never realized how much there is to see down here. Ever since she learned to fly, Nasreen has always preferred the sky. She loves the ever-changing currents and the cloudscapes that constantly drift across the vast expanse that she calls home. But the recent travels that left her earthbound in the poor flying weather have reminded her how beautiful the other half of the world is—even when the woods are in the throes of mud season.

It is also with a faint surprise that she realizes that she missed the Edge in her absence. Of course, it is no Th’orqui, but since her return to this temporary home, Nasreen has grown strangely attached to this corner of Helovia. With every grove that she recognizes and every old acquaintance whom she encounters, she can’t help but revel in the familiarity. It’s nice, having something to come back to.

Content smile settling on her features, the winged mare picks her way through the trees. To entertain herself, she picks up a game that she and Amaya used to play in their travels—as she passes each tree, she recites the names to herself. Pine, birch, aspen-- fig? Nasreen’s gray eyes widen in surprise. She hasn’t seen a fig tree since she was a yearling back in Th’orqui! But the girl is in for an even greater surprise when she looks down, for beneath the fig tree is a horse! “Oh! Hello!” the princess exclaims. To be sure, she is a bit taken aback by the mare’s appearance, but she has come to accept the fact that this is a land rich with magic where anything can happen.

And it seems that she is not the only one who has stumbled across this unusual creature. A voice she remembers rings out, and Nasreen’s ears prick in delight as she spots another old acquaintance behind the leafy canopy on this mare’s back. “Alysanne! How lovely to see you again!” Her smile broadens, and she begins to trot forward in greeting. “Oh, wait, how rude of me—I’m Nasreen,” she explains, turning towards the stranger first. “I don’t believe we’ve met!”

OOC: Nasreen's party crashing!

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Relief flooded Alysanne when the tree-mare was in good spirits about Hemlock’s rather rude awakening. It was always good to meet another kind-spirit, and she was so glad that the Edge was full of them! That was one of the first things Kahlua had told her upon arrival – this was a family, a good-hearted family that looked for those that could get along with that type of mind set. And here, more than a year later after so so much had happened, and those words were still true.

Hemlock, having achieved his goal, abandoned his circle and swooped over towards his bonded to land promptly on the top of her head – perched in his usual spot – and settled in to ignore the lot of them. The little owl fit there perfectly, his feathers barely brushing against her black ears as he sat between them. Such a tiny little thing, and full grown too!

“Well I am glad that we did not disturb you. He likes finding me friends, whether it is a convenient time for them or not.” Especially friends that weren’t guarded with dragons… or males! In response to this Hemlock made a little grumble that still sounded rather smug.

Before introductions could be made or questions inquired about the absolutely marvellous tree that this mare sported upon her back, the pair were soon joined by another – a familiar face though not (yet) as familiar as she would like. Nasreen was an absolute delight to spend time with and Alysanne greeted the pegasus with a bright smile. “And you, Nasreen! I hope you’ve been doing well?” She remembered from the meeting that the young mare had been made Seer and was rather curious about what that rank involved, not remembering who held the position previously.

Emerald eyes bright as ever – how she loved good company! – she added her own introductions to the back of Nasreen’s. “I’m Alysanne and the rascal is Hemlock.”

@[Fig]

made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Fig
Thoughtful eyes regarded the black and white mare as she slipped from the cover of the lush forest foliage and ventured out into the subtle warmth of the mid-winter sunlight. It was a curious thing Fig thought suddenly, that one so tall and unlikely should keep the company of an avian so slight; yet again, it all seemed entirely probable because they shared both the gift of feather and flight. There had been stranger combinations in the old-world forests of Prim’sylva – toads bedding down the winding tunnels of tarantulas and ants that grazed on the waste of juicy green aphids...

The owl had ceased circling, and come to roost most peculiarly between stiff ears and silken onyx locks, and the young Lignea couldn’t help but watch with ever expanding interest. It seemed that his concern had been lost still more suddenly than his arrival above the grassy plateau- his well-natured companion spoke again however, and tender green eyes fell just short of her gaze. The winged one wore above her brow an intricately woven chain whose glistening surface barely sought notice; if not for the perfectly fashioned heart dangling by glass beneath, Fig may have missed it altogether.

The other spoke again in reference to the owl, explaining his tendency to seek out company on her behalf and the tree-girl chuckled softly. Perhaps though, it was not such a grim endeavour that should have brought them together; she thought kindly of both after all. Thick, bristly lips parted to speak but her focus drew away suddenly to another nearby – a similarly painted lady, russet, with a voice ringing cheer as she too came to bask where faint brackish sea mist tainted the cool morning air. Her company exchanged fond greeting and Fig smiled along attentively until each offered forth their name in turn.

“...and I am called Fig,” she offered at last through a fluttery sigh of contentment. “I am still quite new to World’s Edge, maybe you both could tell me more about our home? The tall shaggy creature knew only what Murdock and Thor had deemed necessary to share the day she had returned- that Protectors guarded the forest surrounding; that Kahlua’s glass wall lay shattered beneath the snow. She knew that there were crafters, nurses and philosophers (the latter rank Fig had chosen to follow), but it was culture which intrigued her most- the spirit of their kin which was both heartening and exciting to see.

Image Credit

@[Nasreen], @[Alysanne]
(no need to ask)

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
In response to Alysanne’s query, Nasreen only smiles and nods. It is a softer kind of smile, of the variety that may say more than words can, but in the bustle of the ensuing introductions, it may easily go unnoticed. She has been well—she is well—since returning to the Edge, but there is a lingering uncertainty. Perhaps it is the dull ache of homesickness that she’s carried with her for so much of her young life, or perhaps it is the sharper unease regarding the rumors of murder, but something is not quite right with the girl.

In any case, the maiden does not dwell on her own doubts for long—there is a new friend to be made! The tree-mare is called Fig, she learns when the former introduces herself good-naturedly, and she too is new to the Edge. It is funny how time passes; Nasreen has resided with the Qian in the Edge for nearly eight seasons now, yet she still feels like a bit of a foreigner in Helovia. Thus, when Fig asks them for more information, she cannot help but laugh. It is not a mean or condescending laugh, only one that is a bit bemused. Where to begin?

“Well,” Nasreen replies, eyes still merry, “Alysanne might be able to tell you more about the Edge than I. I come from a place far away—Th’orqui, maybe you’ve heard of it? I can only tell you a little more than what our queen, Kahlua, told me when she brought me here: our herd is called the Qian, and we’ve got crafters, and warriors, and healers…oh, and a Seer; that’s me! The goddess of the moon watches over these lands, and she’s magnificent! She’s not the kind of goddess that hides her face; I’ve had the honor of seeing her—she appears and gives our herd council…” In this way, the girl prattles on, talking about the first time she saw the goddess and proudly displaying the gifted amulet that still hangs around her neck. For one so hesitant to talk about the Edge, she certainly seems to have overcome her uncertainties!

The long-winded ramble only comes to a halt when it comes to the topic of those she’s met here. “…but the most important thing to know about the Edge,” she concludes, grey eyes growing a little misty, “…is that they are kind. They’ve taught me how to craft, they’ve trusted me with their council, and they gave me a place to rest my head when I had none. I don’t know what I would have done without them.”

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Alysanne’s smile brightens onto the verge of cheerful laughter when the tree-mare introduced herself – Fig! Well wasn’t that just perfect. “How wonderful!” She couldn’t help but exclaiming, still just bubbling with all sorts of questions. But dear Fig had asked them to explain a bit about the Edge to them and she happily let Nasreen jump in there first.

The three quest items that she had been asked to complete by the Moon Goddess rattled around Alysanne’s brain as Nasreen mentioned their patron. Look at these two, how was she supposed to hurt any of them? Any one? How could she refuse to heal them? They were her family. The Edge had become her home these past couple years and she had to betray at least one of them… maybe as many as three.

She managed to stop herself from being entirely rude and managed to remember herself in time to catch most of Nasreen’s story – it was a good one too! “That’s amazing Nasreen!” She offered at the end with a bright smile, enjoying being in the presence of the young mare’s clear enthusiasm for the new job she found herself in and the unique situations associated with it.

“My own experience with the Edge has been very similar. Kahlua happily took me in when I stumbled into Helovia, lost and separated from my family. I’ve never truly felt at home until I found the Edge and could not imagine living anywhere else! Or with another group of horses.” Right from the start, Kahlua and Brisa had been two very good friends to her and she had felt so at home in this seaside forest. “But I still have the freedom to go visit my son every year.” It was a herd, not a prison! And she had been so worried the first time she had set out to leave temporarily. Luckily, Kahlua was all too happy to have her back every time.

“When you arrived I’m sure they explained a bit about the ranks to you?” It was customary to do so, and Alysanne waited for a nod or other sign of confirmation before continuing. “I’m part of the healers, I’ve always rather loved learning about plants and how they can help and it seemed like a logical choice when I arrived. First job I’ve ever had.” She confides with a bright laugh. None of the other herds she had been a part of – not that there had been overly many – had been set up the way World’s Edge was. “One of my friends, Resplendence, started garden of herbs to be used medically and even has a wondrous little box to store the seeds and dried specimens in. And our glazier, Dragomir, was using the bits and pieces of our glass wall to help make a greenhouse so that herbs can be grown all year round.”

@[Fig], @[Nasreen] sorry it took me so long guys!

made by the lovely tamme