null and void [open]

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE

Who, in his mind,
has not probed the dark water?

Perhaps it was the signs of her happiness and general ease that allowed him to relax and enjoy the quiet conversation. Slowly but surely he began to forget about the storm that hollered around them, violent even as it began to fade. The rain brought no discomfort, and within the company of the mare and the dragons the stallion allowed himself a small moment of peace, of comfort and pleasure over the chance to use his mind. The quiet battle they fought was one of understanding and ideals, and it was one that he liked far better than the heated clashes upon the battlefield. Perhaps it was shameful of a warrior to think like that, but for the moment he didn't care. Shame was something he was familiar with, and he had lived with worse things than a short time of displayed weakness.

"Oh, I have faith in your ability to claim a land for yourselves" he returned, smiling but still serious in his attempts at finding cracks in her reasoning. "Any group will remain strong while fighting for a common goal, it is the time afterwards that will reveal how strongly you really are connected. Even I could probably pull together a group and convince them that they need to stick together to accomplish something, and with the initial enthusiasm we'd be able to pull through. But once the fight is over and everything return to normal, the real trials begin." How would she keep them together when they had time to consider their personal lives again? Stallions and mares formed bonds of love and friendship, then broke them; families were created only to separate once more, spreading the bonds thinner and thinner until a group could disperse without a trace. It could happen so easily if there were no common goal that went beyond loyalty to a leader and a name. A group needed an ideal to strive towards, a goal to work for that involved every one of the members, from the generals to the newborn foals. Without it, any regime wold only last so long.

He had to smile to himself as Mirage began to answer his doubts once more. Yet again she managed to come up with a good reply, and not only did she manage to silence him but as she delved into the concept she was striving for he found himself nodding, agreeing and liking the things she spoke about. Balance, huh. It was fleeting and vague, but far better than promises of greatness and glory he had heard many other leaders speak about. Mirage's goal felt suitably humble, and in the long run it might even be possible to achieve; as long as she didn't try to swallow too much at once.

The stallion hummed quietly as she finished and turned the head to look out over the frothing sea. Listening to the sound of the chattering dragons he mulled over the possibilities that rested within her dream, how it could be applied to reality and the infinite amount of wills and ideas that compromised the minds of the living. A desire was kindled somewhere in the depth of his soul, a wish to be a part of it; if everything went right the Qian could become something great, a legacy that was more than a land and a form of rule. It felt like something worth leaving behind, and that if anything attracted the stallion who had nothing but his own memories to confirm his existence with.

Golden eyes turned to the remnants of the smoldering log. Quietly he slipped away from her side and walked over to it through the rain, his feet soundless against the wet sand. Stopping in front of the charred piece of wood he regarded it for a while, compared it to the darkness and the doubt that so far had clouded his mind; with a snort he shifted the balance back to the hind legs and lifted the front above the ground. A statue of black and gray, wet and obscure within the darkness of the day he hung, suspended in the air for a moment. Then black feet came down upon the fragile wooden carcass and he crushed the log with a determined look, unflinching as hot ash was stirred up into the air and burned the skin of his legs and belly. The wet coal chirped and squeaked beneath the dark hooves as it was ground into the earth, a symbol for a weakness he had to overcome. Perhaps this was his chance to redeem himself, to begin anew and join with a higher purpose.

"I'll help you in whatever way I can.. is what I'd like to say. You're very convincing, and I admit that the world you want to create is one that I have longed for myself. But Mirage, I just can't jump into anything without thinking it over carefully first." He looked up from the log and over at the dark queen with a directness in the golden gaze that told more than words of the conflicting wishes within him. "I hope you will have patience with me for a while longer... Perhaps I will have straightened things out by the next time we meet."

Credits
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mare nodded her agreement to his words. He spoke the truth, of course he did. She could see this, and she was not about to deny it of him. However, the mare was optimistic and also incredibly biased in her stance; the Qian would succeed in earning themselves a herdland, and after that? They would do as Mirage said, they would restore the balance they probably upset, and undoubtedly, they would also be tested, and have to earn the right to their homeland over and over again. Mirage knew the ways of a land that was war-torn and battle weary, and while she did not long to live in that world, she knew how to survive one. And they would survive. They would succeed.

Time passed, onwards, ongoing, never ending. The stallion moved, his warm figure leaving her side to investigate the remnants of the charred, damp log. The little shadow mare watched his muscular form rise tall upon sturdy hindlegs, his frame outlined by the pale highlights of his mane and tail. Without flinching, she watched him crash down upon the log, break it into ruins, with two little dragons upon her back undoubtedly watching also.

You have given him a new lease on life. Akaith's voice murmured in the back of her skull. It was not I, dear one, but Fajira. She is the one who made him face hi inner demons. Just as you have done for me. Affections were paramount through the bond between the queens of shadow and gold that moment, and for a breath, they allowed themselves to simply focus on that happy contentedness to simply, coexist. They watched as the stallion, who stood so forlornly just before, so wasted and tired, deprived of energy his body surely should contain, filled himself with renewed vigour, and metaphorically destroyed those inner demons, or at least, fixed a tighter collar upon them.

The mare hoped, wished with all her heart, that he would be able to truly defeat them. That one day he would not be plagued with guilt, with sorrow of past actions. The past was just that, in the past - the present was as good a time as any to live on and shape one's future in whatever way they desired. That was what Mirage was doing, or trying to do.

Ears pricked up, alert, intent upon what he said then. She smiled, for she adored him, she would freely admit. Admired his need for his thoughts, his time and his consideration. She was drawn to him, attracted to him and the brainpower he boasted. He was a fine stallion, and would make any mare a fine mate - he had the potential to be a leader, if he wanted to, she could see it. He was learned enough, if only he held the passion, the ambition. What had destroyed that within him? The little mare longed to find a way to restore it to him, to give him back his innocence, his faith in the world. He was cynical, but he had legitimate reasons for his cynicism, reasons she respected and therefore only admired him all the more for it.

Angelic tones responded to him, a symphony of honest tones mixed with just the right hint of affectionate laughter and respect. "You will find my patience is unending Lace. I shall call you a friend, whether you wish me to or not, and I shall forever hope you might find it within yourself to call me yours. The Qian is your ally Lace, you need only ask and they shall become your family, too." Smooth, long strides brought her near him again, her maw reached out to tug upon pale strands of his wet mane. "Do not rush yourself, or feel rushed by myself. Do what you feel needs to be done." She was hesitant to leave him now, though it seemed appropriate to do so. And yet, her hooves remained rooted on the sand, her illusionary magic absent still. Perhaps they would wait out the rain together, and simply let the silence of the storm wash over them, through them. Together, they can be cleansed.