the Rift

[OPEN] evil amongst us [Mandatory Herd Meeting]

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier
Our veins are busy but my heart's in atrophy
Our Goddess was to blame.

It was she who had brought death to mothers, fathers, sons, daughters... She who had ripped families apart and left them mourning.

A scowl uncharacteristically marred my face as I approached the herd, briefly taking in those who had already gathered, displeased to see that there were so many whom I did not know. I hoped I could find the time to learn more of them soon, but now, it was our leaders whom firmly held my attention.

The thought of the Goddess lingering within our lands was rather unsettling; would her murderous actions continue? If so, who would she target? How would this affect our relations with the other herds? Dark ears slipped backwards as the possibilities jumbled about in my mind. Archibald was next to speak, announcing his rise to King, and though I knew little to nothing of the Shire, I cast the man a tense, congratulatory smile.

"Aye," deep voice assured at the Dauntless' question, and as the rest went about offering their help, I promised my own. "Should mine or Suli's abilities be needed, my lieges, we'll not hesitate to carry out whatever tasks are needed."

"Talketh"
x - x

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob
M
Y
R
R
I
N
E

She ran as fast as she could her knobby legs could take her, panting heavily as she had been rather far. She had fallen asleep in the fields with that boy, and had woken up late. Just as she had even reached the glass wall that protected her home, the call of Kahlua reached her ears. Taking only a moment to catch her breath, she began to gallop once more, trying her best to get her wings flapping so she could continue to pick up speed. She was running low on energy, and in truth she just wanted to find some grass to munch on and ponder on the previous nights events with the muted boy, but knew that when the Queen called, she had to be there.

Her lithe frame managed to dodge the pines well enough as she approached the boulder, hazel eyes alight from the joy of the rush, and the trees began to part into a clearing where many horses stood. She smiled, closing in on them, and about to past the line of trees when a stone caught her hoof. Down she went with an oof, face gliding along the dirt and legs following behind underneath her barrel. Once she stopped, she huffed, coughing dust out of her mouth, before finally working herself up. Her black spotted body was now marred with dust, causing her to frown slightly, as her wings fluttered to get the dust off of them as well. She snorted, before turning to see two unicorns to her right, one a simple grey with beautiful glowing eyes, and another that was spotted like her.

This was the first time she'd ever seen a horse that looked like her coloring, and she smiled, walking over to the pair and dipping her head, whispering so as not to interrupt the others ahead, "Hello, I'm sorry if my little fall got dust on either of you. My name is Myrrine, it's a pleasure to meet both of you!" Little did she know, that the male wasn't actually a part of her herd, and she was talking when she should have been listening to the important information being told. She was still a foal though, and didn't really know much about anything going on outside of the Edge borders.

"Speech"
Text
Thought

OOC: <3
WC: 383
TAG:
Image Credit
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
f

thor & evangeline
Our words are strong and our hearts are kind

"There's a herd meeting."

Tallis had not alerted his bonded to Thor's arrival, but she had heard the soft fall of his steps and knew that someone was approaching. She remained relaxed, confident that if it were anyone that posed a threat Tallis would have notified her and she would have slipped away into the forest. Hearing Thor's voice, much to her disdain, made her heart flutter and heat bloom across her face. She kept her back to Thor and allowed her gaze to roam upward toward the treetops. "Is there?." She murmured, wondering if anyone would even miss her if she didn't show. Lately she hadn't been of any use to the leaders. Where they had once come to her often for council she now was left in shadows.

Evangeline turned to look toward Thor when she heard his steps, but he was not walking toward her. Instead he was walking away and she felt such a strong pull to follow behind him that she could not stay rooted in place. Silently, she trailed behind the specter, her eyes taking in the rippling muscles beneath his coat, the way his body swayed with each step, the way his hair floated on the breeze and she knew she that denying the attraction she felt was futile. Her orange dragon chirped as he left the branch he had been sitting on and floated overhead.

She remained silent as they walked, quietly observing Thor and wondering why he felt so drawn toward her even when she turned him down and told him to leave. She wondered what she would do if he finally did what she told and left her alone. Despite what she wanted she had grown accustomed to his presence and enjoyed it. As they arrived at the meeting there was already a gathering that was quite large. Her ears tilted forward and she listened as announcements were made. The Moon Goddess was behind the murders, Archibald was made King, Resplendence was promoted to Moon Doctor, and Ktulu was promoted to Captain. She sighed as she listened, then, to each individual as they voiced their opinions and concerns about the Goddess being banished to the forest.

"I doubt that the gods can contain her to only a certain part of the Edge." Evangeline finally spoke, her eyes shifting to the mare who suggested the idea. "These lands belong to the Goddess of the Moon, no other god truly has any authority here." It was a good idea, but how did one truly contain a god? Their magic far surpassed any that they, as mortals, could even dream of wielding. A weight settled across her back and she felt comfortable Her own weight shifted so she could lean her body against Thor's and she sighed softly. "I will travel to any herd I need to, to express our disapproval of her choices."

"."

Let me tell you just exactly what's on my mind

table code image credit

Far Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The irony was in his name. He felt empty. Too many days had passed where he was skipping time, his mind stuck in a fog over circumstances he couldn't control. It had been so long since he'd been focused on much of anything that the call shook him awake and he found himself there, amongst them all, a stranger on the outskirts, a newcomer still... even after all this time.

As though awaking from a dream, he glanced about him and saw them all, for the first time in most cases, though a few he'd met before... Now, his mind drew outward, pulling in the most important details through the antennae of his ears, whiskers, nose, and eyes. Then the orange chestnut bloke gave a sigh that seemed to go through his entirety, and he slumped, head to the height of his withers, gold-encircled pupils staring about him intently as each spoke. His silent mental-torture aside, he was only casually nervous around unicorns and pegasi now. So there was that. And a steady dose of adrenaline had done wonders on his bomb-proofing, but he was still occasionally an ass on stilts. A bigger issue was that he'd made little effort to make friends, which was suicide to a stallion in a wild place. It was, in fact, quite a miracle he was even still living, though likely the gods kept him around for a laugh. Maybe they pitied him. Clearly he was hanging on by a thread. The dimmest of creatures could see that. The fog of his brain had reached his eyes, his posture, his health... He was losing weight, but gaining... street cred? No, not even that. His biggest concern now was finding out what was going on, had been going on, while he'd been away... wandering off on his own and avoiding other creatures. How strange that he'd kept up with so little, had seen the comings and goings as someone who changes the channel every time the news comes on... He'd heard scatterings, of course. But nothing serious enough to bring him into fighting stance. And fighting for a home where you were a stranger seemed silly but... they'd let him stay. They'd left him to his own devices, never chasing him out or turning him away. He owed them that much, and for that, the knowledge he was gaining at this meeting made a fire charge inside him. A very small, kind of sad fire, but a fire nonetheless.

He wanted action. He wanted to perform some kind of task. To help where he was needed, to offer his services to those that had let him stay, even when he'd done little to repay them thus far... It was now or never. He lifted his head ever so slightly, silly beast that he was, and he let out a very soft, "Might I assist? As a... er..." He paused, considering, an ear tilting to one side, then it straightened and he continued, "A fortifier of defense here? A bodyguard perhaps for the royalty? Someone should really... stay and watch over things too, shouldn't they?"

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

He arrived late, but not late enough to avoid hearing what was being said among his sovereigns.

Apollo's honey-brown oculars roamed the sea of familiar faces that had gathered for the meeting, gaze trailing over those both familiar and strangers alike before his sight focused on the forms of Kaj, Kahlua, and Archibald. Kahlua spoke first; the good Queen gave the admittance that Gaucho had inadvertenly been the one to cause so many deaths, but in the grand scheme of things, he had only been a pawn in the greater game created by the Goddess of the Moon. Hearing Kahlua's words caused Apollo to balk, a feeling akin to bile rising in his throat.

What in the world...?

Heaving out a quivering, shuddering breath, the Merciful stallion focused on Archibald as the Dauntless spoke next, and it was with a grand feeling of satisfaction and happiness that his broad brother spoke of his ascension to King of the World's Edge. He could imagine no one better than Archibald to keep the Edge safe; Archibald's mind was a keen, dangerous thing, cherished by family and feared by foes.

The Dauntless' words commanded authority and Apollo couldn't help but smile and chuckle warmly to himself... At least, until Kaj spoke, and promoted Ktulu once more to Captain of the Edge. Apollo's eyes sought out one of the keepers of his heart, and his smile wilted at spotting Ktulu's crestfallen expression. Surely one would be overjoyed to hear such things? After all, his dark mistress was more than capable of holding such a position as Captain, as she had held it before... Yet no excitement or thrill crossed the beautiful vixen's face. A pain settled within Apollo's ebony breast at spotting her expression, and soon enough the Constrictor turned away and left the meeting.

Ktulu...? Upon his back, Zola shifted due to his troubled emotion, disturbed from her nap.

After this meeting, he promised himself, he would go in search of her to try and help. Hopefully she would let him...

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

'We're late, Roma.'

The statement was somewhat crude and blunt, but what could she expect? Kasai was less than pleased, but Romani was even more so. It was unbecoming to show up even a second late to a herd meeting, especially one of such importance that this one looked to be. Tones were hushed and soft as the Edge-folk murmured upon themselves, and the Haflinger mare's azure eyes scoured the sea of strangers for a familiar face.

There.

Destrier was standing nearby, and Romani wasted little time in slowly moving her bulk to his side, not wanting to be intruding upon anyone else's personal space. Sidling up to the massive Friesian, the golden-red gypsy bumped her muzzle to the ebony knight's shoulder in greeting before focusing on the words that their leads spoke.

Hearing that the Goddess of the Moon was to blame for the recent and disturbing murders caused the mare's skin to crawl. Out of all the Higher Forces, the Moon Goddess ranked least-desirable to deal with on her list. It had been her who had granted her Kasai, yes, but the Moon Goddess had robbed Romani of her memories, and with it she had lost many valuable relationships that she once had in the past. That had been years ago, of course, but no amount of time could heal her from the pain of missing those that she had loved and cared about...

Still, life moved on, and when Kahlua had finished speaking, Archibald began. His deep, familiar baritone spoke words that, quite honestly, baffled the Haflinger mare, yet soon a wide, broad, elated smile spread across her maw. Good. He deserved it. She had once served beneath Archibald many years ago when he had been Chief of the Foothills, and now... Now, the same incident was occurring; he a King, and she a lowly soldier.

Idly the mare wondered if he acknowledged her achievements and progress since the first day they had crossed paths, and with it, hooves.

Small, curved red ears perked up as the Dauntless spoke, and her expression grew more grim and stoic at his orders. "Sir, yes sir." Romani spoke firmly, her dedication towards the Dauntless unwavering. It was because of Archibald that she had followed this path of a warrior. It had been Archibald who had planted the seed of a fighter within her breast, watering that seed and nurturing that young sprout to take root, to deepen itself and grow strong and brave and reach out to grasp the impossible. In short, she owed him a lot... Maybe one day Romani would be able to repay him.

The meeting continued, and Romani listened as as Kaj spoke up and promoted Ktulu to Captain once more. The Haflinger nodded. A good choice. Once more the mare turned her head and brushed her muzzle against Destrier's shoulder, resisting the urge to lip and nibble his black fur in a sign of familiarity, and simply listened as the Edge-folk spoke and offered their opinions or services. Her service was to listen and act when ordered... And listen she would.

You Ain't Ever Gonna Change
You Got a Gypsy Soul to Blame
And You Were Born for Leavin'

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Miykael Posts: 136
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 11 :: Birdsong
Eliana :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Rottie

A lover not a fighter on the frontline with a poem
trying to write yourself a rifle, maybe sharpen up a song
to fight the tanks and drones of you being alone

'Meet.' Eliana speaks into her bonded's mind. 'Hurry. We late.' she prods, mentally, urging him forward. It had become almost habitual. Miykael always seemed to be one of the last to arrive to herd meetings. It wasn't ever intentional, to be fair. It's not like he made it a point to arrive late and whenever he did he slid as silently as possible into the back, sometimes lingering in shadow and other times more visible. A soft sigh slips from his nostrils, reluctant to leave his favorite spot of the Edge - the cliffs. The feel of the tallsun breeze off the ocean, caressing his mane and kissing his face with a tenderness of only a lover. The starry zephyr coos her encouragement and, with her leading the way, the pair turns away from the ocean view and makes their way to the usual meeting location.

Eliana continually flies ahead and loops back around, as if attempting to urge him further and faster. Begrudgingly, he concedes to her badgering and slides easily into a gallop. It doesn't take long then and as soon as the gathering is seen, he slows; slipping quietly into the back. Doing his best to be discrete. Eliana soars down to land upon his back then, settling in on his back just behind his withers. Blue eyes scan the herd, quickly finding Alysanne beside the gray mare. Another stood out, though it wasn't someone he expected. The shiny black winged boy - older than the last time he had seen him and yet, could it really be? His expression is only momentarily puzzled, for his attention is returned to the conversation at hand. He hadn't been too late to hear most everything - thankfully the leaders spoke loudly enough at meetings so that all might hear. When all had spoken, he stepped forward - offering everything that he had. "I have healing magic as well, should it be needed, and.." here he pauses, swallowing hard on the lump that was growing in his throat. "I can... block memories, should anyone feel it to be absolutely necessary... for any reason." he adds, then falls silent. It was a useful magic, just not one that he particularly cared for. It had done so little to help him or anyone else in the past. Even knowing that he could unblock those memories... it wasn't enough. He avoided Alysanne's gaze at that moment, and with a nod of his head he slides backwards - hoping to blend into the shadows. There was nothing left for him to say. Eliana played with his mane, comforting him the best way she knew how.

Miykael
At war with love

credits :: royal genesis, sippanont samchai, coding by rottie
[Image: mikey_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgnba.png]
icon base: Bronzehalo :: from Nickel <3

permission for all except death and dismemberment.
** please tag miykael in replies **
replies slow? check here for status updates.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
The queen watched her flock gather, the number in some ways both less and more than she had imagined would show up. To each, as they arrived, the queen offered a personal smile and nod of her head. She was tired, and weary, and her wide belly pulled on her muscles, and every beat of her heart was also like being stabbed by a knife, but the herd looked to her and she could not let them down. Instead, for strength, she found herself looking to Thor. His wings were gone, an infection had stolen them long ago, but he kept his head high. If he could do it, so cold she. And she would.

They all had ideas and suggestions, wonderful thoughts and queries- understandably so. She did her best to answer each and every one, though surely she may have missed one or two. “Sending messengers to the other herds is a good idea, Ilios. Archibald, what do you think?” Any mention of Kaj’s name was suspiciously absent. She trusted his judgment- she just didn’t trust herself to say his name without breaking into tears. “She said that she did this because we were becoming… too complacent. She said she was trying to prove a point- that we are too blinded by our need for power, and that we are weak. She did this as a game, to prove that she could still control us, and to and make us see how weak we are compared to the gods.” Even the Sunshower, usually so forgiving, could hear the bitterness in her words. “But she proved her point with death when she didn’t need to.”

When someone mentioned the Seer, asking if Nasreen could speak the goddess, the queen frowned sadly. “I have not seen or heard from Nasreen recently. If anyone has seen her or knows her to be well… we need her now more than ever.” Since Eva had already answered Astraea’s questions, the queen declined to comment on that. “Thank you Res, for the herb lessons. Far, for wanting to protect us. Miykael, for offering to save us from our memories…” She couldn’t deny that the thought was tempting in many ways. “This is what it means to be a family, my friends. We are strong, even in the wake of this tragedy. We will survive.”

OOC| No post order, obviously, after Archibald and Kaj get their posts up. If you haven’t come yet, you’re still welcome and encouraged to do so. If you have anything else to say, by all means go for it!!
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Nocturne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
N.octurne
I still hadn't quite learned my way around so it did not surprise me when I arrived late. No one seemed to notice, or mind which was just as well. I probably couldn't have figured anything out if anyone had noticed, or said anything. I heard only the tail end of the announcement. A murderer and a goddess? What had I stumbled my way into with this world? I turned, carefully, watching the faces around me, the reactions, looking for anything familiar or any sign that here was someone I should recognize as a leader.

Aside from the small cluster at the heart of the gathered herd there was no real sign that anyone was a leader- and why should there be? Everyone here knew everyone else, didn't they? Well... except me, that's what I get for being new. I sighed, stepping back towards the shadows hoping to not be in the way of anyone. A goddess taking it upon herself to teach everyone a lesson? For no real reason! Oh I had experienced gods before, I had been cursed by two on two separate occasions in very short amounts of time but I had never seen gods interfering for no reason. On both of my occasions for encountering them I had... annoyed them at some point, some how.

I stepped further back, trampling my own tail with a yelp. I had been so distracted by my thoughts and the news around me that I hadn't paid the slightest bit of attention to where I was placing my own feet. Yer a brilliant one, ain'chu? I sighed, lifting my hoof to free my tail. That had hurt but it was a bit less embarrassing than getting my horn caught trying to get at an itch. That would have been worse with all these witnesses. And what are you doing here, Nocturne? Not contributing? What could I-oh! There was Resplendence, and... she'd said something about nurses and medics and, lessons?

"his speech"
O.oc details
COUNT three four seven TAGS --- PLAYLIST none ARTWORK by myself
NOTES Noct is being a buttface T-T sorry

Quilyan Posts: 206
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies
He isn't sure how it had happened, but there is a tensity in his herd that hadn't been present before his departure. He slides uneasily to the back of the crowd, finding the shape of his mate in the sea that stands before their leaders. He does not try to get to her, lest he disturb the meeting. He merely wants to make his presence known, to ask for a private audience after, to explain his absence to them. He has had a lot to explain to a lot of equines of late, and he has not particularly relished the experience. Still, it has reminded him how lucky he is to have such wonderful friends and family. Their forgiveness has been a balm to his scarred soul, healing the wounds left untouched since the sacking of his kingdom and the murders of most of his family.

Kahlua does not look particularly happy to his keen eye, and he wonders if she would thank him for a touch of calm from his magic. He does not apply it, being too far away, at any rate, but he considers offering later. If, of course, she does not kick him out for desertion first. Kaj is harder to read, the same quiet exterior presented as always. But the meeting hums with nervous tension all the same, and he notices that there is a great deal of distance between his King and Queen. Kaj had once admitted to the prince his love for Kahlua - had it gone wrong somewhere?

And then there are the murders to consider. It makes him uncomfortable to know that their patron goddess has so callously murdered so many mortals. Do their lives truly mean so little to her, that she will manipulate and even dispose of them to suit her fleeting whims? He has a sister, a mate, a future family to consider - but he knows that they will not flee, and where would they be safe from a god? He stands in silence, contemplating, wondering how they are to continue when there is so much going wrong.

[OOC | I'm sorry I'm late and I suck <33]
"more words."
Quilyan
counting on the night for a beautiful day;
subtlepatterns.com | kaydeniro & larfsalot @ deviantart
Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald the Dauntless
Through the ages of time I've been known for my hate, but I'm a dealer of simple choices; for me it's never too late.

Archibald listened as his herd members spoke. They each held valid points, each were filled with their own desire to help this herd. Each of them were dedicated to the World's Edge in their own way and that helped Archibald's confidence. He needed this herd at his back when he stood with Kaj and Kahlua against what the Moon Goddess had done. "On another note, if any of you come across the deity's path do not anger her. I do believe she would rather smite you where you stand than listen to your complaints about her actions. If you interact with her keep your tongue respectful if only to save yourself. None of us agree with what she has done. The Goddess of the Moon has lost the faith of the World's Edge." Archibald looked around to the herd, and his ears tipped momentarily to Kahlua as she asked his opinion.

The king did not mind visiting the other herds, and he agreed that it was a good idea to solidify ties with the others and clear any murkiness that could have been created regarding this lands patron goddess. The behemoth stallion nodded his large head, speaking once more. "I will travel north to speak with the Aurora Basin, in time. Kaj and Kahlua will also speak to other herd leaders," Archibald paused to look them both in the eye in turn before he looked out into the masses again, "When we are preparing to leave, we will individually gather our parties. Thank you for your willingness to serve our herd and volunteer to travel outside of our forest. Your passion will never be forgotten." Archibald moved to look at his fellow leaders, then, waiting to see what they would add to the conversation next.

credits :: table

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Kaj

comets fell from the sky,
I took your breath, you took my sorrow

His flock, he regards them fondly, with cerulean orbs that belie how dark and distressed he feels in the hollows of his bones and the place where his soul pushed out against his canvas. They gathered closely, their kinship far stronger than Kaj could ever recall before. In the wake of darkness they came together to form their own light, and Kaj ached so profoundly to see them grim-faced but standing proud and sure before him. It broke something old and defiant in his chest, pushed aside all other failing emotions like a tidal wave as he was filled with endless bouts of love for these wonderful souls gathered before him. Were he a lesser man he would have wept, and still the urge to do so was almost impossible to ignore. They’d never had this kind of kinship when he was a WingLeader, when he recalled the unhappiness of his family back then he felt something tentative, something like pride and purpose, flower and twist round his ribs. Secure. Maybe he had taken Mirage’s child and made something good out of it. Maybe he hadn’t failed after all.

Gazing into the eyes of his people, he saw reflected in them trust. Assurance. And he thought yeah. I haven’t failed, after all. It was all worth it. The pain inside him washed away, feeling renewed, something like salvation licking at the open sores of his soul. And with an open heart and ready ears, he turned to the first voice that rose in question. One he knew, for it was Ilios who gazed back at him, the Throat on his lips. Kaj felt a rush of affection for the colt, for his selflessness and his care for others. Even if his fears were unfounded, it was further example of his personality, his virtue. ”The Throat is aware that they have our support through this time of darkness, but groups will go to all the herds regardless.” Kahlua spoke on the far end, responding to Parelia’s voiced question, and he forced himself to dull her words until they were mere bits of information. He would not so readily give up the new, brilliant feeling his herd had inspired.

Azaneen’s arrival distracted him from that possibility, and he smiled warmly at her, proud to see that even in her newness she had arrived to share in the herd’s brotherhood. He hoped that she would find friends in his home, and that she would not be left alone with only him as her intermittent caretaker and friend. She deserved so much more than he could offer her with how his kingly duties restricted his time, but she’d always have him nonetheless. They bolstered him, Resplendence’s words rising to the forefront, a further shield to the darkness that still sought his insides even while he glowed with a new radiance.

More voices rose, and he nodded with gratitude towards Jahzara and Artorius for their declared offers, watching with sad eyes when Ktulu turned and left without a word. Though he’d never lost a child, he could still recall with perfect clarity how it had felt to watch his sister take her last breath, shudder and go still. He could not take offense when her pain was so clear to him, so familiar.

And then, from the long tallsun shadows and the wilted, drooping leaves, two appeared that stripped the breath from the caverns of his lungs and left him reeling.

His face never betrayed him but for a moment, where betrayal and despair clung like sparks to his lashes and danced in his irises. Destrier and Quilyan, both whom he’d thought dead or never to return, appearing with such leisure at a random meeting that could have been any other. Were he allowed it, he would have staggered off his pedestal and sought solace, for the breaking of his heart and trust if nothing else. But a soldier he had to be, and he kept his face like granite, impenetrable. Clearly they had not placed his brotherhood with them as highly as he had. Kaj simply had to move on. His people could not see him in his weakness, not when they were already suffering as a united whole. He simply couldn’t do that to them.

So when Far’s words spoke up, he latched onto him. He was no longer Kaj in that moment, cowering behind the walls he had constructed to keep his emotions at bay. He was the Storm Bringer, the once General, the old Guard and WingLeader all lumped into one. King. ”You may go with one of the groups if you desire, to ensure their safety on the road to their assigned herd. One group of diplomats shall depart at once; the others will be restricted to the Edge until they return. Now is not a time to be open and defenseless, not with the Moon Goddess as such an unpredictable player in this game.” For that was what it was. A game. A chess match that Kaj would win if it killed him.

From the shadows, a male he knew only in association with Alysanne brought about a tidbit of information that Kaj had never contemplated before. One that was a seed sown and rooted, to grow at his leisure when the nights were long and his pain profound. He would not comment upon it, not in that moment. But still, in the back of Kaj’s mind, he wondered. To block memories…

Archibald and Kahlua elegantly closed out the herd meeting, or at least allowed it to dwindle and die with peace and poise. Kaj had little to add, and what he did felt dead on his leaden tongue, but to the others it would sound as calm and meaningful as always. ”We promise you,” he began solemnly, eyes hard like flints of etched-off glacier ice as they fell upon his people, ”that we will do all in our power to help you. To keep our family safe. She may mock our mortality and our kinship, she may label them as weaknesses, but she is blind to the fact that in our flawed states we are perfect. And we will not fall or falter. Not now.” It was all he could offer them, in the end.

Credits

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!